PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: When Bowen Speaks, Rookie Listens, Learns

duncan228
03-09-2009, 11:31 PM
When Bowen speaks, rookie listens, learns (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/When_Bowen_speaks_rookie_listens_learns.html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs rookie George Hill has a collection of DVDs he regularly watches at home to help him prepare for some opponents.

It's a collection called “Bruce Bowen's Greatest Hits.”

“I watch that a lot,” Hill said after his standout defensive stint against Suns point guard Steve Nash in the Spurs' 103-98 victory at the AT&T Center on Sunday. “I've got DVDs at home of Brucie playing ‘D' against a lot of players. That's one thing I try to focus on, because Brucie's been in the league a long time.”

Indeed, Bowen has been in the NBA for 12-plus seasons. The league's coaches have put him on the All-Defensive first team each of the past five seasons.

Now Bowen serves as mentor, both through advice and example, to Hill, a player the Spurs believe has the potential to be a Bowen-like defensive stopper.

A player whose defensive tactics occasionally are compared to those of a martial artist has becomesensei to Hill's role as the Spurs' Karate Kid.

Bowen sees Hill's potential to affect games with his unique set of defensive gifts.

“I just hope he understands what he has, as far as his ability to affect the game at times with his length,” Bowen said of a perimeter player with the wingspan of a forward. “I hope he doesn't misconstrue why he is out there, and start doing things they're not looking for.”

When Bowen speaks during Spurs practice sessions, Hill listens.

“I talk to him all the time about things I can work on to be a better defender,” Hill said. “In practice, sometimes when I do something wrong, or right, he tells me. He's been a great help in both ways, on and off the court.”

Hill's offensive game remains a work in progress. Bowen knows, better than most, that defensive excellence buys court time for even offensively challenged Spurs.

“If you're able to bring that defensive side,” he said, “that keeps you on the floor a lot.

“He has the potential, but it's all about the ticker. But George is willing to listen and learn, and that's what it's all about. He looks for help from guys who have been around, and I appreciate that from George.”

usckk
03-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Haha. "Bruce Bowen's Greatest Hits"

Spursmania
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Bruce Bowen -The Karate Kid and his sidekick Georgie!

Brutalis
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
God just told me Bruce is going to be a Spurs Assistant Coach in the near future.

toki9
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM
"Brucie"?!/

Austin_Toros
03-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Maybe Bruce can teach Hill how to play dirty. That way, once Bowen retires, his tactics live on.

timaios
03-10-2009, 01:04 AM
"Brucie"?!/

& Georgie... BFF :lol

alchemist
03-10-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't think Bruce is giving Hill many tips with the way he sounded in that report, Bruce sounded kind of salty (bitter).

HarlemHeat37
03-10-2009, 01:49 AM
I didn't really see anything that you guys are seeing, Bowen seems genuine..he's also always giving Hill tips on the sidelines from what I've seen, so I believe it..George needs to get some flopping going though, that's the way to be an all-around great defender in this league..

m33p0
03-10-2009, 02:51 AM
no wonder Hill has been struggling shooting the ball. :lol

ceds
03-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Man i would love a copy of "Bruce Bowens greatest hits"

My track list:

- Shutting down & outscoring Kobe in game 2 of the 03 playoffs
- Bowen on Bilups in the 4th Q games 6 & 7 - 05 finals
- Making Ray Allen, Vince Carter, and Finley all cry in the same season
- Fly kicking Wally world in the face
- The jab step (knee) to Nash's nutz and clutch D / 3 in the 05? playoffs
- Vs Bron 7 finals (No team will contain him as good as we did that year)
- Turning Peja into a 20% shooter every time they met back when the kings were legit

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 03:42 AM
wheres the bruce bowens dancing youtube clip? hahahahah

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Man i would love a copy of "Bruce Bowens greatest hits"

My track list:

- Shutting down & outscoring Kobe in game 2 of the 03 playoffs
- Bowen on Bilups in the 4th Q games 6 & 7 - 05 finals
- Making Ray Allen, Vince Carter, and Finley all cry in the same season
- Fly kicking Wally world in the face
- The jab step (knee) to Nash's nutz and clutch D / 3 in the 05? playoffs
- Vs Bron 7 finals (No team will contain him as good as we did that year)
- Turning Peja into a 20% shooter every time they met back when the kings were legit

my favourite was his game saving block on dirk!

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 05:28 AM
my favourite was his game saving block on dirk!

how about the one on iverson :D thought he had a free basket with parker bailing out at the last second, then bam get that shit out of here....

Chieflion
03-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Hit who? Jamal Crawford, Stephon Marbury, Ray Allen, Vince Carter and so on.

MI21
03-10-2009, 06:30 AM
I'd love to get my hands on that DVD. Watching isolated footage if different Bowen defensive tactics would great to watch. Sure we see it in the games, but there is often so much going on that a lot of defensive play goes unnoticed. Could probably pick up some handy tips even for low level recreational players.

Supergirl
03-10-2009, 07:29 AM
That explains why Hill has been so impressive on D for a rookie...he's learning from the best.

Hill's gonna a be a great Spur for a long time.

ElNono
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
They must be chatting up a storm these days, sharing the bench for such long stretches...
Now if Hill could get on the court and actually apply anything he learned from Bruce...

Taco
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
& Georgie... BFF :lol

:lol

easy7
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Man who plays with self will come in handy - Bruce Fu

coyotes_geek
03-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I'd love to get my hands on that DVD. Watching isolated footage if different Bowen defensive tactics would great to watch. Sure we see it in the games, but there is often so much going on that a lot of defensive play goes unnoticed. Could probably pick up some handy tips even for low level recreational players.

I'd love to get that CD as well. A year or two ago I scored floor seats and seeing Bruce play D up close was a real treat. It's amazing how much you miss watching on TV. His hands are so quick and he's constantly swiping at the ball and just being an absolute nuisance.

bigfan
03-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I think Bruce has the makings of a good coach and would love to see him become a Spurs assistant.