PDA

View Full Version : what exactly is embryonic stem cell research?

Chief
03-10-2009, 04:08 AM
when i don't know something, i don't know it, i don't pretend to .

What exactly is Embryonic Stem Cell Research.
Reading Wikipedia doesn't help.

In simple human terms, what is it exactly.

MiamiHeat
03-10-2009, 05:24 AM
google

Dark Gable
03-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Another issue for politicians to argue for or against to get votes.

florige
03-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Scientist pretty much figures that cells from that research can be used to treat diseases such as Alzheimers, and some forms paralyisis. The theory is a cell from these embryo's is supposed to be able to take the form of a new cell. Something along those lines.
Dude if you watch Southpark they break it down for you nice how it actually works. lol

Richard Cranium
03-10-2009, 07:33 AM
another issue for politicians to argue for or against to get votes.

+1

ashbeeigh
03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
A stem cell is pretty much one of the simplest cells in a human. It can be manipulated into anything (or so scientists think). They are found in any number of areas of the body (there are tons in the umbuical cord, muscual tissue, etc).

So, the whole point of stem cell research is to see if these cells can be created into a heart, a lung, a kidney, etc. But, they are also found in embryos. This is obviously where the controversy starts. Some abortion rights advocates think taking stem cells from embryos is like an abortion and it should be stopped. It's deciding when a life starts (is an embryo a life?). Or should we use these "cells" to help save lives that are tangible and definable (living breathing human beings versus 1-2 cells that haven't even divided yet).

That's the simplest way I can find to describe it.

Stem cells can now be grown and transformed into specialized cells with characteristics consistent with cells of various tissues such as muscles or nerves through cell culture. Highly plastic adult stem cells from a variety of sources, including umbilical cord blood and bone marrow, are routinely used in medical therapies. Embryonic cell lines and autologous embryonic stem cells generated through therapeutic cloning have also been proposed as promising candidates for future therapies.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
when i don't know something, i don't know it, i don't pretend to .

What exactly is Embryonic Stem Cell Research.
Reading Wikipedia doesn't help.

In simple human terms, what is it exactly.

It's something that happens in the basement of The Alamo.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 09:41 AM
It can be manipulated into anything (or so scientists think).

Ash, this is when you come across as a moron.

It's a scientific fact that they can be manipulated. British scientists have already created heart valves and urine bladders by way of manipulating stem cells.

American scientists are behind the curve because jesus loving Bush decided to mingle politics with religion.

ashbeeigh
03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Ash, this is when you come across as a moron.

It's a scientific fact that they can be manipulated. British scientists have already created heart valves and urine bladders by way of manipulating stem cells.

American scientists are behind the curve because jesus loving Bush decided to mingle politics with religion.

I didn't put politics in this at all, dude. Not at all. I just tried to explain it. How the hell did that come across moronic?

There were several very important things that decided my vote this election. This was one of them.

AlamoSpursFan
03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Without googling, my understanding of the issue is basically this:

A stem cell is a stem cell is a stem cell. Stem cells can be harvested from any part of the human anatomy...adult, child, embryo or otherwise. They can also be found in abundance in umbilical cord blood.

Embryonic stem cells are stem cells that are harvested from discarded embryos from in vitro fertilization. Some scientists believe that stem cells from embryos are somehow magically delicious.

The fear from my bible thumping colleagues over here on the right is that embryos will some day be created simply for the purpose of stem cell harvestation, hence the objection to federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, which is all, BTW, George Bush had outlawed. Privately funded research was and is perfectly acceptable.

[/nutshell]

"Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong." -- Dennis Miller

Jekka
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
The fear from my bible thumping colleagues over here on the right is that embryos will some day be created simply for the purpose of stem cell harvestation, hence the objection to federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, which is all, BTW, George Bush had outlawed.

As baby-crazy and IVF-happy as this country has become, I have a hard time seeing us running out of existing discarded embryos any time in the near future. Most people aren't as looney tunes as Octopussy and hellbent on using every single embryo. But, like you said, "Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong."

AlamoSpursFan
03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Most people aren't as looney tunes as Octopussy and hellbent on using every single embryo.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/joyciejohnson/clown_car.jpg

( :lol Couldn't resist!)

By way of clarification, I have no opinion on the issue whatsoever. That's why I added the "bible thumping" qualifyer.

Jekka
03-10-2009, 10:17 AM
^^^ :lol

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I didn't put politics in this at all, dude. Not at all. I just tried to explain it. How the hell did that come across moronic?

There were several very important things that decided my vote this election. This was one of them.

Moron, you said that scientist "think" they can manipulate stem cells when they very much can.

That was one of the dumbest things you've ever posted.

ashbeeigh
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/joyciejohnson/clown_car.jpg

:lmao They're up to 18 now!

ashbeeigh
03-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Moron, you said that scientist "think" they can manipulate stem cells when they very much can.

That was one of the dumbest things you've ever posted.

I stand corrected. Now get your panties out of your ass crack.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I stand corrected. Now get your panties out of your ass crack.

Hey, by the way, you left your panties on my bed.

I prefer for you to take your stuff with you when we're done with coitus.

johnsmith
03-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Ash looks like she has down-syndrome in that picture of her?

AlamoSpursFan
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Ash looks like she has down-syndrome in that picture of her?

Yes. You are.

deadratsam
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I've always said we need to start harvesting a race of sub-humans. Just don't let them know there's an outside world. Cows don't wonder why they can't drive a car and wear a suit.

MiamiHeat
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM

ashbeeigh, you believe in a booogieman in the sky watching over us, talking snakes, and magical miracles.

if that's not moronic, then you are moronicer for not realizing the moronity of the moronicest situation.

MiamiHeat
03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I've always said we need to start harvesting a race of sub-humans. Just don't let them know there's an outside world. Cows don't wonder why they can't drive a car and wear a suit.

ever seen the movie THE ISLAND starring ewan mcgregor and djimon honsou and that really hot blonde chick scarlett johansen?

exact plot you just described.

I Love Me Some Me
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM

I guess you've never watched Barnyard.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
ever seen the movie THE ISLAND starring ewan mcgregor and djimon honsou and that really hot blonde chick?

exact plot you just described.

That movie sucked.

I was expecting a naked Scarlett Johansson, but I didn't get it.

usckk
03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
So far, the explanations presented are pretty accurate. However, as a biochemist, I have a good background surrounding the science around stem cell research, and I will try to answer questions asked thus far and expand on certain things.

1) Stems cells are unspecialized cells, meaning they do not have a cell function, but they are capable of giving rise to specialized cells in a process called differentiation. The most obvious example of this is the embryo shortly after conception. At this point, one cells divides many times, forming a ball of cloned cells. Later after conception, the divided cells begin to clump together to form a specialized cell, like heart, muscle, and lung cells.

2) The reason scientists in the U.S. have been fighting to gain more funding by the government for embryonic stem cell research is because of its unique properties, which are similar but different from adult stem cells. Embryonic stem cells can become ALL cell types of the body, while adult stem's plasticity is limited. Furthermore, embryonic stem cells are more easily cultured in the laboratory because adult stem cells are rare in mature tissues.

3) Most embryonic stem cells that scientists used are made IN VITRO, meaning the egg is fertilized outside of the human body (i.e. a test tube baby). Thus, images popularized by conservatives of researchers killing babies to get stem cells is false.

4) This research are has HUGE implications for the medical fields. As many of you have already stated, stem cells can be used to grow specialized tissues, which can then be transplanted into human subjects. For example, people with Type I diabetes cannot produce insulin because their insulin-producing cells are destroyed. Theoretically, one can culture healthy insulin-producing cells and transplant them into the diabetic liver.

The gains that can come out of stem cell research is practically endless.

Winehole23
01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/acid-bath-offers-new-way-to-make-stem-cells/

Wild Cobra
01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
---But, they are also found in embryos. This is obviously where the controversy starts. Some abortion rights advocates think taking stem cells from embryos is like an abortion and it should be stopped. It's deciding when a life starts (is an embryo a life?). ---
Yes, this is where the controversy starts. I don't think anyone is against research for the other types of stem cells, but to get embryonic stem cells, you are intentionally growing life for 4-5 days, just to harvest it, and discard the remains as waste.

xmas1997
01-30-2014, 02:30 PM
So far, the explanations presented are pretty accurate. However, as a biochemist, I have a good background surrounding the science around stem cell research, and I will try to answer questions asked thus far and expand on certain things.

1) Stems cells are unspecialized cells, meaning they do not have a cell function, but they are capable of giving rise to specialized cells in a process called differentiation. The most obvious example of this is the embryo shortly after conception. At this point, one cells divides many times, forming a ball of cloned cells. Later after conception, the divided cells begin to clump together to form a specialized cell, like heart, muscle, and lung cells.

2) The reason scientists in the U.S. have been fighting to gain more funding by the government for embryonic stem cell research is because of its unique properties, which are similar but different from adult stem cells. Embryonic stem cells can become ALL cell types of the body, while adult stem's plasticity is limited. Furthermore, embryonic stem cells are more easily cultured in the laboratory because adult stem cells are rare in mature tissues.

3) Most embryonic stem cells that scientists used are made IN VITRO, meaning the egg is fertilized outside of the human body (i.e. a test tube baby). Thus, images popularized by conservatives of researchers killing babies to get stem cells is false.

4) This research are has HUGE implications for the medical fields. As many of you have already stated, stem cells can be used to grow specialized tissues, which can then be transplanted into human subjects. For example, people with Type I diabetes cannot produce insulin because their insulin-producing cells are destroyed. Theoretically, one can culture healthy insulin-producing cells and transplant them into the diabetic liver.

The gains that can come out of stem cell research is practically endless.

Yes, this is where the controversy starts. I don't think anyone is against research for the other types of stem cells, but to get embryonic stem cells, you are intentionally growing life for 4-5 days, just to harvest it, and discard the remains as waste.

I think these two quotes pretty much sum it all up including the controversy surrounding it.
I might add that genetic research is also involved.

DMC
01-30-2014, 07:10 PM
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/acid-bath-offers-new-way-to-make-stem-cells/

Interesting.