View Full Version : Citigroup posts a profit

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=avjYcESZ4uqs&refer=worldwide

Pandit Says Citigroup Having Best Quarter Since 2007

By Edward Evans and Josh Fineman

March 10 (Bloomberg) -- Citigroup Inc. Chief Executive Officer Vikram Pandit said his bank is having the best quarter since 2007, when it last posted a profit. The shares rose as much as 27 percent and helped spur gains for finance company stocks.

“I am most encouraged with the strength of our business so far in 2009,” Pandit wrote in an internal memorandum obtained today by Bloomberg. “In fact, we are profitable through the first two months of 2009 and are having our best quarter-to-date performance since the third quarter of 2007.”

Citigroup has logged five quarters of losses totaling more than $37.5 billion since it posted a $2.1 billion profit in the third quarter of 2007. Once the world’s biggest bank by market value, it fell below $1 in New York trading last week for the first time as investors lost confidence that the shares can recover after losses and a government rescue.

“I am, like you, disappointed with our current stock price and the broad-based misperceptions about our company and its financial position,” Pandit, 52, said in the memo, adding that the price doesn’t reflect the New York-based bank’s capital strength and earnings potential. The company had $19 billion of revenue in January and February excluding writedowns that have already been disclosed, Pandit said.

Shares Climb

Citigroup gained 28 cents to $1.33 in composite trading on the New York Stock Exchange at 9:35 a.m. The stock tumbled 95 percent in the past year, cutting the bank’s market value to about $5.8 billion. The bank is the smallest company and the worst-performing stock in the 30-member Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Shares of New York-based JPMorgan Chase & Co. gained 13 percent to $17.96, and Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America Corp. rose 19 percent to $4.48.

Pandit’s upbeat remarks follow similar comments from Bank of America CEO Kenneth Lewis, who said last month that January results were “encouraging.” Morgan Stanley Chief Financial Officer Colm Kelleher said last month that the firm had a “good start” in January. Goldman Sachs Group Inc. is showing strong trading profits in 2009, Sandler O’Neill & Partners LLP analyst Jeffrey Harte wrote in a note last month after meeting with top Goldman executives.

“From a trading standpoint I think this is going to be a very good quarter for a number of companies, including Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Citigroup, because the environment has changed dramatically,” said Richard Bove, an analyst at Rochdale Securities in Lutz, Florida. “The number of competitors has shrunk and the size of the business has increased, plus prices have gone up.”

Government Stake

The government’s plan to exchange its preferred stock for common shares will make Citigroup the strongest U.S. bank measured by tangible common equity, Pandit said in the memo. The transaction will also make the U.S. Citigroup’s biggest shareholder, with a 36 percent stake.

Regulators are examining ways to further stabilize Citigroup if needed, the Wall Street Journal reported today, citing people it didn’t identify. Federal officials called the steps “contingency planning” and aren’t expecting a sudden turn for the worse, the Journal said.

Citigroup’s deposits are “relatively stable,” Pandit said in his memo to employees. The bank has also conducted its own stress tests, using assumptions more pessimistic that the Federal Reserve’s, he said, adding that the bank is “confident” about its capital strength. Expenses totaled $8.1 billion in the year through February, less than Citigroup’s target, Pandit said.

Citigroup is expected to post a loss of 32 cents for the quarter, the average estimate of 11 analysts in a Bloomberg survey. Bove said Citigroup may turn a profit.

“It’s quite possible that they could have a positive result,” Bove said. “If they show a profit and if Bank of America shows a profit, it will be a shock to the people who have been selling these stocks so aggressively.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Edward Evans in London at at [email protected]; Josh Fineman in New York at [email protected]

Last Updated: March 10, 2009 09:50 EDT

Dex
03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Seeeeeems fishy. Somebody check those books.

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM

Moving hundreds of billions of non-performing loan guarantees off the books and on to the backs of the taxpayers can really make things look rosy and bright.

BacktoBasics
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
On top of all that I still doubt they're lending any more freely than before.

AlamoSpursFan
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't checked today. Is their stock still cheaper than an ATM fee?

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Damn. Time for a short squeeze.

I a lot of people have shorted the shit out of those stocks, and will be caught with their pants around their ankles if the stock zooms upwards.

If the stocks start going up much, you can expect them to rocket into the stratophere as the people who have shorted the stock desperately try to buy up stocks to cover their positions.

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Accouting term:

"Taking a bath"

--Saving up a lot of write offs and items that normally impact income and lumping all the transactions into ONE really bad quarter. This has the effect of making the previous two years' worth of income look bigger than it normally would have been, had the company not "saved up" the bad transactions, and possibly going forward as well.

------------------------------------

Quarterly results, although they provide some meaningful information, can be manipulated in such a way as to fully comply with accounting rules, as the above term implies.

Managment has a great deal of leeway when it comes to such things.

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Moving hundreds of billions of non-performing loan guarantees off the books and on to the backs of the taxpayers can really make things look rosy and bright.

I don't think any of the loans have actually been bought up yet.

This is a pretty complex series of transactions, but to my knowledge the only thing the government has done is provide cash infusions through preferred/common stock purchases.

The problem the gov't is having is that those assets can't really be valued yet, or at least no one has gone out on a limb to do so.

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
On top of all that I still doubt they're lending any more freely than before.

I got a letter from CitiGroup the other day advising me that they wanted to loan me $5,000 (or "up to" that amount).

If they sent out enough of those letters, they could probably boost their short term performance quite markedly.

I shredded the f***ing thing though. I didn't even bother looking at the proposed terms of that loan, because we all know I would have been raped with interest charges and fees. I don't use that term lightly.

What should worry the shareholders is that if they got that two-month bump with indescriminate lending, they would just be setting themselves up for more losses.

I have a pretty fair credit rating, so maybe I got that because of my good rating, and others with worse credit didn't, but still, one has to wonder. If I were a shareholder, I would trust any CEO about as far as I could throw him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/images/2007/07/26/bagdad_bob_large.gif

PM5K
03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I thought I just heard they were doing bad?

Drachen
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I got a letter from CitiGroup the other day advising me that they wanted to loan me $5,000 (or "up to" that amount).

If they sent out enough of those letters, they could probably boost their short term performance quite markedly.

I shredded the f***ing thing though. I didn't even bother looking at the proposed terms of that loan, because we all know I would have been raped with interest charges and fees. I don't use that term lightly.

What should worry the shareholders is that if they got that two-month bump with indescriminate lending, they would just be setting themselves up for more losses.

I have a pretty fair credit rating, so maybe I got that because of my good rating, and others with worse credit didn't, but still, one has to wonder. If I were a shareholder, I would trust any CEO about as far as I could throw him.

Go back and unshred the document. Then read the whole thing. It LOOKS like they want to loan you (up to) $5k, in actuality, that letter says that it is "An invitation to apply" for a loan of "up to $5000." It is just a marketing piece telling you what you already know - that you are allowed to apply for a loan at Citibank. Had you not shredded it, you would not have found rates or fees. Those would be determined by your creditworthiness, if you even qualify for the loan at all. I have rec. these at least once or twice a month for the past 9 months, you did the right thing in shredding it.

S_A_Longhorn
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I haven't checked today. Is their stock still cheaper than an ATM fee?

No, their stock price (as well as a dozen others) shot up 20%+ today. Guess the right will ignore today, and wait for the next thing to blame Obama.

Funny how the stock market goes up and down on it's own based on non-government news. :bang

Besides, everyone's 401k is worth more today after this news. Isn't that what people really care about anyway?

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
No, their stock price (as well as a dozen others) shot up 20%+ today. Guess the right will ignore today, and wait for the next thing to blame Obama.

Funny how the stock market goes up and down on it's own based on non-government news. :bang

Besides, everyone's 401k is worth more today after this news. Isn't that what people really care about anyway?

:lmao

You children are hilarious. Assuming I am the "right" you are talking about I have not ignored today.

I made the observation that it was a classic short squeeze and a dead cat bounce.

As for Citi and BoA it's pretty easy to have a 20% or 40% bump in one day when your stock is trading for less per share than a cup of coffee at McDonalds...their stock going up or down is irrelevant taken in the context that Citi and BoA are zombie banks that only exist because the US has thrown hundreds of billions of our tax dollars behind them.