PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Manu Works Up A Sweat (Also: A Bit On Gooden)

duncan228
03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Manu works up a sweat (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/03/manu-works-up-a.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

Manu Ginobili worked up a sweat at the Spurs shootaround this morning. It just didn't come on the court.

As his teammates finished up final preparations for tonight's game against Charlotte, Ginobili was on the treadmill, enjoying -- or, perhaps, enduring -- a brisk jog. Earlier this week, Ginobili received good news on some follow-up test results on his injured right ankle.

"It showed that healing is going on," coach Gregg Popovich said.

Ginobili's Tuesday morning jog was an important step in his recovery from a stress reaction in the distal fibula. He has missed the past 11 games, over which time the Spurs are 7-4.

The prognosis for Ginobili's return remains nebulous. Popovich's latest guess had Ginobili returning in "a week or two."

Meanwhile, Drew Gooden — who has not played since signing a free-agent deal with the Spurs on Saturday — continues to test his strained groin. Gooden again went through a full walk-through with the Spurs this morning, and appears to be getting close to his Spurs debut.

"The last thing we want to do this close to the playoffs is get him out there and make it a bad injury, and then we don't have him," Popovich said. "I want him to rehab it and make sure it's strong before he goes, and he didn't argue."

Dex
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM

I'm less than excited about this prognosis.

So we know Manu is, indeed, still alive.

xtremesteven33
03-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Pop doesnt give a S*** about playoff seeding.

He just wants to be healthy.

bigdog
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks, duncan228.

hopefully they will be healthy for the playoffs. That's all that matters to me. Although I'd like to see Gooden get in a bit more time with the guys during games, just to get used to playing with these guys. Don't wanna rush him though.

FromWayDowntown
03-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm less than excited about this prognosis.

So we know Manu is, indeed, still alive.

Well, the prognosis could have been something like "The films show no sign that the bone is healing," or "We've seen that the stress reaction has become a stress fracture," or something along those lines.

I think the sign that should please Spurs fans is the fact that the medical people think the bone is strong enough at this juncture to at least take the pounding of a treadmill run. Given that they had the joint immobilized a couple of weeks ago and were permitting Manu only to work out in the pool, a brisk jog is progress.

Dex
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, the prognosis could have been something like "The films show no sign that the bone is healing," or "We've seen that the stress reaction has become a stress fracture," or something along those lines.

I think the sign that should please Spurs fans is the fact that the medical people think the bone is strong enough at this juncture to at least take the pounding of a treadmill run. Given that they had the joint immobilized a couple of weeks ago and were permitting Manu only to work out in the pool, a brisk jog is progress.

Agreed.

Just seemed like another one of those Pop "speaking without saying" sort of quotes.

xtremesteven33
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Yea i guess its a good sign. We were all scared at one point he might be out for the season.

Hopefully he will be back in less than 2 weeks from now.

DAF86
03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Fuck! I'm getting ansious.

Manu-of-steel
03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
manu, get well soon. spurs need you to be healthy for our quest of that elusive 5th ring.

Spursmania
03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Pop doesn't give much away does he?:lol
Although we're all anxious to see Gooden and Manu dress and play, we all agree that it's best to have them healthy.

But, I'm worried, because if Gooden is not that bright, then he's going to need more than just a few games to get a feel and a ryhthm for the team and their plays. Further, even Pop commented that Hill and Mason have not even had that much time with Manu, so they too are unaccustomed to playing with Manu. We all know Manu's frenetic pace and rocket like passes sometimes come out of nowhere.

Tim and TP and a lot of those guys are used to playing with Manu. But Gooden, Mason, Hill ??? (albeit Hill won't get as many minutes, but still a turnover here and there will cost us in the playoffs).
Pray they all get an opportunity to play with eachother and Manu for more than 12 games with eachother.:wakeup

lurker23
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM

I agree. While none of us are too happy about Manu being gone another "week or two," I think the fact that healing is going on (in contrast to Ian's months-long then-mystery injury), plus the fact that he's jogging without pain, are definitely a good signs.

nkdlunch
03-10-2009, 12:02 PM
we will see Gooden + Manu together for the Celtics game next Friday.

benefactor
03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
As much as I would love to see Manu and Gooden for the Lakers this Thurs., it's for the best that they take all the time they need to be ready for the season that really matters. I'm gonna shoot from the hip and say that both will be ready for Boston when they come to town on the 20th. That would give them 15 games, which should be enough for both.

benefactor
03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
we will see Gooden + Manu together for the Celtics game next Friday.
...beat me to it. :tu

temujin
03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
The healing is going on?

You'd bet, since he is being out for a month.

These things take time.

Time is given to you, you can't buy, you can only waste it.
The waste here would be to play him too early.

End of March, not earlier.

MoSpur
03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, this is better than hearing something like, the tests showed there wasn't much healing. I want to see Manu play just as bad as any other guy, but this good be a good thing for guys like Hill, Hairston, and Udoka.

cheguevara
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
WTF? Is Gooden trying to get into the rotation or pass the bar exams???

tmtcsc
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/COCHIfz/noeliaculo.jpg

I'm getting wood.

DAF86
03-10-2009, 02:02 PM

I'm getting wood.

:lol I put this to compete with your avatar.

angel_luv
03-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Heal up well, MG. :)

PuttPutt
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM

I'm getting wood.
:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:tu

crc21209
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Man I can't wait to see Drew and Manu back on the court. I wanna see this team fully healthy and ready. I'm going to next Tuesdays game....the one before the Friday Boston one. I hope that maybe....just maybe....Manu and Gooden can play in that one...at least spot minutes.

TampaDude
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I would too, but I'd rather see Gooden and Ginobili on a boat at the Riverwalk in June. :lobt2:

^ this

WildcardManu
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm getting wood.

:lmao

NBAdime
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
For all you know that ass could belong to a he/she :-P

Spurs Brazil
03-10-2009, 03:20 PM

That's good news; three weeks ago he could be done for the year

DAF86
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
For all you know that ass could belong to a he/she :-P

Are you kidding me? go get your eyes check.

wildbill2u
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
:lol I put this to compete with your avatar.

You win! :wow

NBAdime
03-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Are you kidding me? go get your eyes check.

I'm looking at the hands..big and manly looking. yuck.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
If Manu has to miss the rest of the season to get as healthy as possible for the playoffs, so be it.

phxspurfan
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Heck, bring him back in time for the WCF. We won't need him for round 1.

edit: Heck, bring him back for game 5 of the WCF like D Fish in Utah. We won't need him for round 1 (let's hope Denver and Dallas move up).

Bruno
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Great news about Manu. :tu

crc21209
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I was watchin the news at 5 o'clock on KSAT and Gooden was in his Spurs shorts and shooting shirt out there on the floor shooting around....I wonder if we might just see him tonight.....I hope.

completely deck
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I was watchin the news at 5 o'clock on KSAT and Gooden was in his Spurs shorts and shooting shirt out there on the floor shooting around....I wonder if we might just see him tonight.....I hope.

I don't think Pop is going to give Phil Jackson a chance to guess or figure out his defensive schemes against Drew. Maybe Saturday against the Sprockets?

crc21209
03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't think Pop is going to give Phil Jackson a chance to guess or figure out his defensive schemes against Drew. Maybe Saturday against the Sprockets?

Ok wait, so what does Drew playing tonight have to do with the Lakers? Pop could play him tonight if he wants and not play him against the Lakers. Tonight's game has nothing really to do with Thursday's.

mystargtr34
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM

I didnt read what you wrote. But you should post more.

completely deck
03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Ok wait, so what does Drew playing tonight have to do with the Lakers? Pop could play him tonight if he wants and not play him against the Lakers. Tonight's game has nothing really to do with Thursday's.

While you make a good point, does it make sense to do that to a player? I don't know, this is all my opinion.