PDA

View Full Version : Terminator salvation

batman2883
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
looks pretty f'n sick!!!! Can't wait till May 21st

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM
After being let down by Watchmen, I'm cautious about being optimistic for other films this year.

I'm hoping Terminator and Star Trek are good, but I'll just wait and see.

brettn
03-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I might be the least bit excited for this movie if it was directed by someone other than the guy who did Charlier's Angels Full Throttle.

Who knows though, maybe ill be pleasantly suprised.

batman2883
03-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Dude the new preview that came out with watchmen looks f'n sick ,on a serious note i really cant wait to watch this movie

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Dude the new preview that came out with watchmen looks f'n sick ,on a serious note i really cant wait to watch this movie

Yea, the preview looked kick ass.

batman2883
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
" you think you're human??"

"i am human"

silent pause

"noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!"

SA210
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I might be the least bit excited for this movie if it was directed by someone other than the guy who did Charlier's Angels Full Throttle.

Who knows though, maybe ill be pleasantly suprised.

That's how I feel. I hate that he's the Director, but i like Christian Bale as John Connor, and i can't help but get excited when i hear that Terminator music :lol. But i won't be shocked if I was disappointed.

batman2883
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
this movie looks like its a cant miss.......i doubt it will do horrible, hope it plays at the imax

brettn
03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
lol, watchmen played in the IMAX too. That was pretty dissapointing. IMAX just means itll have alot of big explosions and neat visuals. Doesn't guarantee a good movie.

I WANT the movie to be good, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Blake
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
"well goooooood for you"

batman2883
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I think imax or not its going to be a great movie......

Spurminator
05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Movie clip + making of...

http://www.pizzahut.com/terminatorsalvation/

CuckingFunt
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I still want to see this, even though the panel at WonderCon made me hate McG at a level I though previously impossible.

to21
05-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Nobody has seen this yet? No hardcores saw it at midnight today?

It's not getting great reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_salvation/?critic=creamcrop

phyzik
05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I often find that professional critics are rarely in tune with what I personally like, so I will see it for myself rather than trust Roger Ebert who has given a bad review on just about every movie that I have enjoyed.

sonic21
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Nobody has seen this yet? No hardcores saw it at midnight today?

It's not getting great reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_salvation/?critic=creamcrop

rottentomatoes.com sucks, here's some proof.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

76%

i still think terminator salvation will suck though.

to21
05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
rottentomatoes.com sucks, here's some proof.

i still think terminator salvation will suck though.:lol

Spurminator
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM
I saw it on Monday and liked it a lot. It's not exactly an acting clinic, and the dialogue is a bit stale at times but as a whole it was much better than I thought it was going to be.

to21
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I saw it on Monday and liked it a lot. It's not exactly an acting clinic, and the dialogue is a bit stale at times but as a whole it was much better than I thought it was going to be.Thanks for the review.

sonic21
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I saw it on Monday and liked it a lot. It's not exactly an acting clinic, and the dialogue is a bit stale at times but as a whole it was much better than I thought it was going to be.

is it better than the 3rd movie?

Heath Ledger
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
They have found a way to completely Disneytize the Terminator franchise. What an abomination. Visual effects in the movie were awesome but this franchise as a whole is done. I predict it having a solid opening weekend with a steeper than normal drop off in week 2.

I can't believe they went from a gritty violent Terminator one and two to this pile of mess. I won't give spoilers if you are a fan of the franchise you have to see it i guess to make your own decision but I was personally let down but not really surprised considering it was McG and some of the writers of The Cat Woman who wrote this mess.

to21
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
They have found a way to completely Disneytize the Terminator franchise. What an abomination. Visual effects in the movie were awesome but this franchise as a whole is done. I predict it having a solid opening weekend with a steeper than normal drop off in week 2.

I can't believe they went from a gritty violent Terminator one and two to this pile of mess. I won't give spoilers if you are a fan of the franchise you have to see it i guess to make your own decision but I was personally let down but not really surprised considering it was McG and some of the writers of The Cat Woman who wrote this mess.Yeah I had heard this also. The word was they were taking the franchise down a whole new road. Maybe for a whole new set of movies.

The lead actor doesn't have even know the history of the franchise for Christ's sake.

manufan10
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
i often find that professional critics are rarely in tune with what i personally like, so i will see it for myself rather than trust roger ebert who has given a bad review on just about every movie that i have enjoyed.

+1

Udokafan05
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Do i need to watch the first 3 terminator movies before i go see terminator salvation?

Viva Las Espuelas
05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
who directed this?

Trainwreck2100
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
who directed this?

the guy who directed Charlie's Angels

TwAnKiEs
05-21-2009, 12:19 PM
"well goooooood for you"

:lmao

Spurminator
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
is it better than the 3rd movie?

I would say so, yes.

Frankly, I'd put it ahead of the first one too, but I always thought that one was overrated.

Spurminator
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I will also say this has none of the "horror movie" kind of elements that the first two had. There's really not a lot of suspense or tension. It's a sci-fi action flick. There's also a lot of Battlestar-Gallactica type parallels to current issues. At times it's a little bit like 24 with killer robots.

So if you go in expecting this, I think it's easier to enjoy. If you're going because it has Terminator in the title and you're hoping to see the many different ways Arnold Swartzenegger will hunt down John Connor no matter where he goes, and how gruesome his killings can be, you'll be disappointed.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-21-2009, 12:51 PM
the guy who directed Charlie's Angels
oh, are you serious?! man, i think this is going to be a torrent viewing.

SA210
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I will also say this has none of the "horror movie" kind of elements that the first two had. There's really not a lot of suspense or tension. It's a sci-fi action flick. There's also a lot of Battlestar-Gallactica type parallels to current issues. At times it's a little bit like 24 with killer robots.

So if you go in expecting this, I think it's easier to enjoy. If you're going because it has Terminator in the title and you're hoping to see the many different ways Arnold Swartzenegger will hunt down John Connor no matter where he goes, and how gruesome his killings can be, you'll be disappointed.

Then that means it's NOT Terminator.

SA210
05-21-2009, 01:54 PM

I can't believe they went from a gritty violent Terminator one and two to this pile of mess. I won't give spoilers if you are a fan of the franchise you have to see it i guess to make your own decision but I was personally let down but not really surprised considering it was McG and some of the writers of The Cat Woman who wrote this mess.

:tu I agree.

I saw it at midnight at the Quarry. I knew it was going to suck for a few reasons.

1. Mcg... Charlies Angels :bang

2. I could tell they weren't really going to use the original music, and NO the few seconds they use it in the trailer and the film doesn't count.

3. PG-13

I really only went to see it because I like Christian Bale. I tried to have an open mind, because of him and I'm a Terminator fan. I liked some parts, but it's wasn't Terminator. Just some stupid Hollywood PG-13 attempt at remaking Transformers.

If they had kept the clip where Christian Bale had that tirade against that crew member in the film, I might have liked it.

:pctoss

angrydude
05-21-2009, 04:13 PM
felt like a Michael Bay movie

Ginobilly
05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Just came back from seeing it. Um, it wasn't as good as the first two,(Terminator 2, greatest sci-fi rated R film of all time) but a little better than T3. It felt like I was watching Transformers at times and christian Bale has left his Batman character for this one. The dark gritty realistic feel that made T2 popular is absent. Movie makers nowadays use too much CGI.They have completely abandoned 90's robotronic technology(which they also used CGI incorporated with the models) that made the picture look more "realistic".

6.7 out of 10
wasn't worth the hype

Udokafan05
05-21-2009, 09:33 PM
I went and saw it today. It was ok, nothing great. I havent seen any other terminator movie, but in the beginning it explains enough to understand plot. I'm a big christian bale fan and he delivered, but some of the others werent very good, especially the kid who played his father

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I went and saw it today. It was ok, nothing great. I havent seen any other terminator movie, but in the beginning it explains enough to understand plot. I'm a big christian bale fan and he delivered, but some of the others werent very good, especially the kid who played his father

There are probably jokes that only people who know the other movies would get, but it's good that they didn't require you to have seen anything else in order to get what's going on.

Jacob1983
05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
You guys really must expect a lot out of movies. I mean what were you expecting, a movie with Oscar calibur acting? Seriously, some of you are freakin impossible to satisfy when it comes to movies. It's a Terminator movie. It's a sci-fi action movie. If you don't like Terminator or McG, then don't see it. Anyways, I saw it today and I enjoyed it. It's a good sci-fi action movie and Sam Worthington did a great job as the Terminator in this one.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
It was meh...
Sara Connor Chronicles was canceled... and was 100 times better by the end...

mFFL03
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
looks like I'll be saving my money

to21
05-22-2009, 08:23 AM
You guys really must expect a lot out of movies. I mean what were you expecting, a movie with Oscar calibur acting? Seriously, some of you are freakin impossible to satisfy when it comes to movies. It's a Terminator movie. It's a sci-fi action movie. If you don't like Terminator or McG, then don't see it. Anyways, I saw it today and I enjoyed it. It's a good sci-fi action movie and Sam Worthington did a great job as the Terminator in this one.+1......saw it yesterday.

I :lol at some of the reviews I've read. I can see how the hardcore Terminator "franchise" fans were "meh".

stretch
05-22-2009, 08:25 AM
its not like the first 3 at all. its very different, more of a war movie than the others. if you are thinking its going to be like the other 3, then you may be disappointed. then again, you shouldnt expect it to be like the others after seeing the previews. i thought it was pretty good. i think its definitely better than the 1st and 3rd. its hard to beat the 2nd though. that was just a damn good movie. i wish it had a little more john, and a little less reese and marcus. a few reese/marcus parts dragged on a bit. but i enjoyed it and felt i got my money's worth.

stretch
05-22-2009, 08:27 AM
+1......saw it yesterday.

I :lol at some of the reviews I've read. I can see how the hardcore Terminator "franchise" fans were "meh".

its cuz they are expecting it to be like the others. but its not. its a completely different setting and situation at this point.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
I saw it last night and I liked it. It was supposed to be a mindless popcorn flick, and it served it's purpose.

If you like seeing robots beating the shit out of everything, then Terminator Salvation is your movie. It's like a far superior version of Transformers. The acting is somewhat better, the dialogue isn't nearly as stupid, the movie doesn't insult the intelligence of the audience at every turn, and the action sequences are way way way better than Transformers.

That isn't to say that it's a great movie. It's not. The dialog is "bad", as opposed to Transformers when it was "vomit-inducing". The acting isn't top notch (the Marcus character gets his accent mixed up a few times, which was kinda funny). There's not really all that much of a plot besides "don't let robots kill us".

Overall it's a solid B. If you're expecting Iron Man/Star Trek/Dark Knight quality, you'll be very disappointed. If you're expecting two hours of watching shit blow up, you'll be satisfied.

to21
05-22-2009, 08:38 AM
its cuz they are expecting it to be like the others. but its not. its a completely different setting and situation at this point.I hear what ur saying and I can appreciate that.

I think It's the chance you take when you go see a "franchise" movie created and interpreted by a new director.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 08:40 AM
btw the cameo appearance is awesome and I'm wondering how they did it. I guess CGI, if so then that was top notch work.

to21
05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
btw the cameo appearance is awesome and I'm wondering how they did it. I guess CGI, if so then that was top notch work.Yeah it was.

stretch
05-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I saw it last night and I liked it. It was supposed to be a mindless popcorn flick, and it served it's purpose.

If you like seeing robots beating the shit out of everything, then Terminator Salvation is your movie. It's like a far superior version of Transformers. The acting is somewhat better, the dialogue isn't nearly as stupid, the movie doesn't insult the intelligence of the audience at every turn, and the action sequences are way way way better than Transformers.

That isn't to say that it's a great movie. It's not. The dialog is "bad", as opposed to Transformers when it was "vomit-inducing". The acting isn't top notch (the Marcus character gets his accent mixed up a few times, which was kinda funny). There's not really all that much of a plot besides "don't let robots kill us".

Overall it's a solid B. If you're expecting Iron Man/Star Trek/Dark Knight quality, you'll be very disappointed. If you're expecting two hours of watching shit blow up, you'll be satisfied.

:tu

stretch
05-22-2009, 08:45 AM
If you're expecting Iron Man/Star Trek/Dark Knight quality

whoa, it just hit me... you put star trek in the same category as dark knight? now i havent seen it yet. i hear its really good. but is it THAT good?

leemajors
05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
i always have my expectations low for "blockbusters." if nothing else there is always something funny to be found in them. aim low, people.

stretch
05-22-2009, 08:49 AM
:lol looks like someone created a john connor troll already

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 08:54 AM
whoa, it just hit me... you put star trek in the same category as dark knight? now i havent seen it yet. i hear its really good. but is it THAT good?

It's pretty good for a summer popcorn movie.

stretch
05-22-2009, 08:55 AM
It's pretty good for a summer popcorn movie.

ah. i guess i always thought you held Dark Knight in higher regards than a summer popcorn movie. thats why i was curious.

desflood
05-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes. I actually liked it a good bit better than DK.

Edit: I didn't necessarily mean to say Star Trek was a better movie - just that I found it more entertaining.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 08:57 AM
ah. but i always thought you held Dark Knight in higher regards than a summer popcorn movie. thats why i was curious.

Yeah I do, but I think most ppl on this board wouldn't think that. They probably consider it in that upper tier of good summer movies, like Iron Man & Star Trek.

mexicanjunior
05-22-2009, 09:06 AM
From what I had seen from the trailers, I went in expecting alot of cool loud metal stuff blowing up but not much more. In the explosions department, it did not disappoint. If we are talking pure action and pace, this movie really delivered. The air battles and CGI for the robots was terrific. Also, Bale did a decent job of playing Connor with intensity eventhough some of his dialogue was over the top.

Unfortunately, the story lived up to my low expectations as well. The co-main character's (Marcus) background and story lead in had some great potential until it is revealed at the end that he was what everyone suspected from the time he awakes. Helena Bonham Carter was also sparely used as his doctor that supposedly did the experiments on him that made him a machine (as seen in the trailers).

The other thing that irked me about this movie was the cameo appearance by the "governator" that was thrown in for no real reason other than to show him. They could have maybe used him for a scene of being sent back to help his younger self but he was used as nothing more than a mindless machine (again). Also, wouldn't Bale be a little more traumatized battling him when he had helped him and grown into a close friend in the last 2 Terminator films? That said, I did like Bale using the "I'll be back" line and him playing the Guns n Roses T2 theme song to draw out the machines.

Overall, thumbs up for the action and effects. It is worth seeing in the theater if you watch it on an IMAX or XE3 screen (like we did). If not, wait for DVD.

Heath Ledger
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Just on visuals and special effects, explosions it is enough to be semi entertaining, but not to appease the true diehard Terminator Fans. What it all comes down to is Hollywood is afraid to take risks with rated R movies so when the budget came in at like 200 million or whatever they had to dumb it down to appeal to the tweens and the masses. The average person jumping right in with this as their first movie will probably enjoy it but if you know what it has came from to this it is very disappointing.

I did not realize the kid who played Kyle Reese was the kid Nick who got whacked in Alpha Dogs.

stretch
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Just on visuals and special effects, explosions it is enough to be semi entertaining, but not to appease the true diehard Terminator Fans. What it all comes down to is Hollywood is afraid to take risks with rated R movies so when the budget came in at like 200 million or whatever they had to dumb it down to appeal to the tweens and the masses. The average person jumping right in with this as their first movie will probably enjoy it but if you know what it has came from to this it is very disappointing.

I did not realize the kid who played Kyle Reese was the kid Nick who got whacked in Alpha Dogs.

Aren't you supposed to be dead?

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM

Let's not act like the Terminator franchise has been some sort of benchmark of cinematic genius. They've all had the same basic premise of "watch robots blow shit up for 2 hours".

Heath Ledger
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
You probably weren't even born when Terminator came out.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
You probably weren't even born when Terminator came out.

good one :tu

stretch
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
The other thing that irked me about this movie was the cameo appearance by the "governator" that was thrown in for no real reason other than to show him.

I don't think it was in there for no reason. Remember that the machines had just finished developing the T800. It's possible he might have even been the very first one made. And they had to have made quite a few. That's why one of them was in each of the first 3 movies. And at that point, no one had ever seen one of them before, except John. I think it just serves as somewhat of a seagueway into the next movie they make, which I have a feeling will have a lot more on the T800s, and perhaps even the T1000s.

Heath Ledger
05-22-2009, 09:20 AM
About as good as your assessment of all of the Teminators only being about Robots blowing shit up.

Spurminator
05-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I didn't really miss anything that an R-rated movie would have added. I suppose Moon Bloodgood's boobs might have added some entertainment value, but I never felt the violence or dialogue were sterilized for a PG-13 rating.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
About as good as your assessment of all of the Teminators only being about Robots blowing shit up.

Well let's hear your in-depth philosophical take on the intellectual transcendence of the Terminator franchise. I'm dying to know.

stretch
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I didn't really miss anything that an R-rated movie would have added. I suppose Moon Bloodgood's boobs might have added some entertainment value, but I never felt the violence or dialogue were sterilized for a PG-13 rating.

Agreed.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm not saying this was the best Terminator movie, or that it's anything special. The other movies were probably better, but to act like this movie misses the point of the other movies is just stupid. Terminator has always been about robots, guns, and big ass explosions. This movie doesn't change that.

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Let's not act like the Terminator franchise has been some sort of benchmark of cinematic genius. They've all had the same basic premise of "watch robots blow shit up for 2 hours".

actually Terminator 2 won 4 Oscars and is considered to be one of the best sci fi rated R film of all time. It also set the foundation for innovations in CGI and special effects. So now you know why Terminator fans expect top notch shit!
Same with the Star Wars fans. The first films were critically acclaimed and one of them even won an oscar, but what could we say about episode 1 - 3??

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not saying this was the best Terminator movie, or that it's anything special. The other movies were probably better, but to act like this movie misses the point of the other movies is just stupid. Terminator has always been about robots, guns, and big ass explosions. This movie doesn't change that.

It was an Okay film to say the least, but it was missing a lot. You know how T1 through T3 had a main antagonist representing Skynet, that was trying to kill the main protagonist John Connor/Sarah Connor throughout the film. This one had one, Roland Kickinger, the actor from Austria who looks like Arnie who plays the T800 only had about 2 mins of screen time. They could of used him more throughout the film. Give this shit back to James Cameron please. It is his Vision after all.

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM

This movie kinda felt like a PG - 13 John Connor vs The Transformers movie. I remember when I first saw Terminator 2, I got goosebumps and had nightmares as a child because it felt so dark and realistic. The Sarah Connor nuclear scene still gives me chills.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
..... Moon Bloodgood......
she's gorgeous. she was one of the models that was in our company's catalog a few years back. i also saw her at the airport in san antonio while i was waiting for my plane to dallas. she's gorgeous in person. she was with some douche that was all hollywood'd out.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
This movie kinda felt like a PG - 13 John Connor vs The Transformers movie. I remember one I first saw Terminator 2, I got goosebumps and had nightmares as a child because it felt so dark and realistic. The Sarah Connor nuclear scene still gives me chills.
i thought T2 was great when it came out. i remember when ahnold went on letterman to promote the movie. it was hilarious. ahnold was being all pompous and macho in his own way and kept on repeating "the biggest blockbustah of da ye-uh" throughout his whole segment. it was great, but yeah......T2 rocks. i think i own about 3 versions of the movie. the T1000's special effects were ahead of it's time at the time even though james just brought them over from the abyss.

stretch
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
actually Terminator 2 won 4 Oscars and is considered to be one of the best sci fi rated R film of all time. It also set the foundation for innovations in CGI and special effects. So now you know why Terminator fans expect top notch shit!
Same with the Star Wars fans. The first films were critically acclaimed and one of them even won an oscar, but what could we say about episode 1 - 3??

T2 won oscars for visual and audio achievements. Basically goes in line with the whole "explosions, guns, and robots" thing. Terminator Salvation had a job well done in the same ways that T2 won oscars... visual and audio.

benefactor
05-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I watched it yesterday too and it kicked a lot of ass in the action dept. The story line was a bit blurred and I had trouble making the connections in my mind to all the past movies. There are rumors out that they will be making two more, so maybe the story will be better developed in the upcoming films.

As many have already said, if you want to see a movie where lots of robots tear things up and lots of cool explosions then this is for you. I would recommend seeing in the theater just to see all the action on the big screen.

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 12:42 PM
T2 won oscars for visual and audio achievements. Basically goes in line with the whole "explosions, guns, and robots" thing. Terminator Salvation had a job well done in the same ways that T2 won oscars... visual and audio.

The CGI was weak in this one to say the least. You know James Cameron would of pushed the envelope some how if he was directing it. Is it just me or did movies in the 90's looked more realistic because they used robotronics with some CGI? Nowadays filmmakers have gotten lazy and just use CGI for everything. It looks fake when they use too much. CGI should be used as a tool and not as the whole foundation of a film.

stretch
05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
The CGI was weak in this one to say the least. You know James Cameron would of pushed the envelope some how if he was directing it. Is it just me or did movies in the 90's looked more realistic because they used robotronics with some CGI? Nowadays filmmakers have gotten lazy and just use CGI for everything. It looks fake when they use too much. CGI should be used as a tool and not as the whole foundation of a film.

I'll have to see it again, but the CGI didn't seem weak to me. In fact, the way they did Arnold was fucking incredible.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I'll have to see it again, but the CGI didn't seem weak to me. In fact, the way they did Arnold was fucking incredible.i think he's talking about the new one. is arnold in the new one?

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 01:04 PM
i think he's talking about the new one. is arnold in the new one?
Nope. They hired an Austrian actor, Roland Kickinger, who looks like Arnold. They used some CGI to make him look more like a young Arnold in T1. I think they should of used him a lot more through out the film though. Human vs Cyborg representing Skynet has been the ideal foundation of the Terminator franchise. The CGI was decent in TS. Nothing Oscar worthy like in T2 though.

stretch
05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
i think he's talking about the new one. is arnold in the new one?

yea im talking about the new one too

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Here's my list:

1. Terminator 2
2. Terminator 1
3. Terminator 3
4. Terminator Salvation*(I may change it when I get to the unrated extended version that WB will pop out in a few months.):rolleyes

Viva Las Espuelas
05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
yea im talking about the new one too
i see

SA210
05-22-2009, 01:39 PM

The whole thing was screwed up by being PG-13.

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Well let's hear your in-depth philosophical take on the intellectual transcendence of the Terminator franchise. I'm dying to know.

Well, the whole point of the Terminator franchise is really about the idea that computers will take over humanity one day. Really, that's a good philosophical question. Sure, humans aren't obsolete NOW, but there's a possibility in the future that we COULD develop an AI.

Now, would those robots have the same rights as humans, or not? The Animatrix explored these issues as well in an interesting way.

Apart from blurring the lines on what it means to be human (which was one of the major themes of the Blade Runner film), it also touches on dystopic realities; the thought that civilization could be one incident away from total devastation. When Terminator came out in the 80's, the Cold War was still somewhat in effect, IIRC, and so that possibility seemed very real to movie-going audiences, I'm sure.

Anyways, those are some 'deep' questions that the Terminator posed in a subtle way. And I won't even get into the ideas of time travel it proposed...

leemajors
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM

i think pg-13 of even 10 years ago is a lot different than it is now. I don't really have an issue with these sorts of things. with the "unrated" dvds and often hardly discernible differences in the cuts, they really aren't leaving much out in most cases. this is just how it's going to be for the foreseeable future.

stretch
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Here's my list:

1. Terminator Salvation
2. Terminator Salvation
3. Terminator Salvation
4. The others*(they all sucked cock):rolleyes

fixed.

benefactor
05-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't really get why everyone is pissed because it wasn't R rated. Adding elements in a movie like this to make it R rated will likely not improve it by much.

If anything the story needed to be better developed. It would be better if they would have had a short intro that connected the past with the future...i.e. Reign of Fire where they show Quinn as a young boy finding the dragon.

Spurminator
05-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Why?

Spurminator
05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I mean there was a time when I noticed how many times the word "fuck" was used in a movie and got a rush out of seeing someone's body riddled gratuitously by bullets.

Then I turned 14 and it didn't matter all that much.

SA210
05-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Why?

Because it was a business decision to make it PG13 from the get go. Which means they had to write the entire thing that way from it's conception, meaning it's NOT Terminator. The entire process was effected from the beginning. It's almost worse than making an R film, then editing it.

It's not as simple as it was missing some blood and some F words. It's not about that. It was just stripped before it was even made, just so that kids 17 and under could go.

Yea, they are a business, but don't ruin a great franchise like that. If you wanna make Transformers, go make Transformers. Don't call it Terminator.

Ginobilly
05-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Because it was a business decision to make it PG13 from the get go. Which means they had to write the entire thing that way from it's conception, meaning it's NOT Terminator. The entire process was effected from the beginning. It's almost worse than making an R film, then editing it.

It's not as simple as it was missing some blood and some F words. It's not about that. It was just stripped before it was even made, just so that kids 17 and under could go.

Yea, they are a business, but don't ruin a great franchise like that. If you wanna make Transformers, go make Transformers. Don't call it Terminator.

That's exactly how it felt like: Soft. It was an okay popcorn flick; like a transformers, POTC, I-robot, etc. It would be like if they would remake The Exorcist into a pg-13 film. It wouldn't work.

SA210
05-22-2009, 06:21 PM
That's exactly how it felt like: Soft. It was an okay popcorn flick; like a transformers, POTC, I-robot, etc. It would be like if they would remake The Exorcist into a pg-13 film. It wouldn't work.

Exactly!

leemajors
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
you didn't address the why whatsoever.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Nope. They hired an Austrian actor, Roland Kickinger, who looks like Arnold. They used some CGI to make him look more like a young Arnold in T1.

Actually they used Kickinger as a body double, but they completely CGI'd Arnold's face onto his body.

monosylab1k
05-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, the whole point of the Terminator franchise is really about the idea that computers will take over humanity one day. Really, that's a good philosophical question.

No, it isn't.

John_Connor
05-22-2009, 11:31 PM
We've been fighting a long time...

We are outnumbered by haters...

Fanboys have a strength that cannot be measured...

This is John Connor. If you're listening to this...

....you are the Resistance.

I thought I knew our enemies...

But something has changed...

the Fanboys have turned on us...

This is not the future my mother warned me about...

and in this future, I don't know that we can win this war.

If we stay the course, WE ARE DEAD!

WE ARE ALL DEAD!

PM5K
05-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Win....

SA210
05-23-2009, 12:37 AM
you didn't address the why whatsoever.

Are you kidding me, I answered you. Read what I said again.

lefty
05-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Just came back from it (and alive; eat shit, machines):

What a shitty movie; however, I read somewhere the 2 other after that one will be much better; also, special effects are great and I was lucky to be one of the few who didn't know Ah-Nuld would make a cameo, so that was pretty sweet.

Frenzy
05-23-2009, 01:00 AM
ha a CG camio. it was ok. 7.5 outta ten.

CuckingFunt
05-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Didn't love it, but also didn't dislike it as much as I expected. I was consciously aware of some glaring holes while watching the movie, yet none so big that I wasn't able to at least enjoy all the 'splosions.

However... did we REALLY need the Batman voice? I still like Christian Bale as an actor, but I hope that hasn't become his only method of emoting.

leemajors
05-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Are you kidding me, I answered you. Read what I said again.

you conveyed your preconceived notion about the movie being pg-13 from the start, nothing else.

angel_luv
05-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I went with a friend last night to see it.

The flick was her pick.

I fell asleep in the movie, due mostly to the allergy pill I had taken earlier in the evening ( before I knew I was going to the movie.)

However, from what I saw of the movie- the first and last 20 minutes- I don't feel that I missed anything.

SA210
05-23-2009, 12:30 PM
you conveyed your preconceived notion about the movie being pg-13 from the start, nothing else.

I disagree. I made my point and it makes sense.

monosylab1k
05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I disagree. I made my point and it makes sense.

Actually it doesn't, because this movie wasn't preconceived as a PG-13 as you said. They cut one nude scene out to get the PG-13 rating. The director said he was fine with getting an R rating, but he was willing to sacrifice a boob shot to get a PG-13.

So if you're telling me that one set of tits is the difference between a good movie and a shitty one....well, I guess maybe you're a 12 year old.

SA210
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Actually it doesn't, because this movie wasn't preconceived as a PG-13 as you said. They cut one nude scene out to get the PG-13 rating. The director said he was fine with getting an R rating, but he was willing to sacrifice a boob shot to get a PG-13.

So if you're telling me that one set of tits is the difference between a good movie and a shitty one....well, I guess maybe you're a 12 year old.

:lol You believe Hollywood.

Anyway, Like I said before, if you wanna make Tranformers, go make Transformers, don't call it Terminator.

monosylab1k
05-23-2009, 04:32 PM
:lol You believe Hollywood.

Well by all means, if you're some insider who knows better, then inform us. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

Anyway, Like I said before, if you wanna make Tranformers, go make Transformers, don't call it Terminator.

Looks like they made Terminator and called it Terminator. If you don't like it, don't watch.

SA210
05-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Well by all means, if you're some insider who knows better, then inform us. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

Looks like they made Terminator and called it Terminator. If you don't like it, don't watch.

You're an idiot. I'm actually a filmmaker. I could give a damn less about your opinion. The movie is trash and I won't be making movies for people like you and I'm fine with that.

jcrod
05-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, don't you people realize its a different story line. It's not the greatest film, but i enjoyed it.

dirk4mvp
05-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm going to see it this evening. I hope it doesn't suck. But with the way everyone talks about, it seems like 2 hours of mindless action with things blowing up and cheesy dialogue, so I'll probably like it.

monosylab1k
05-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm actually a filmmaker.

:lmao

monosylab1k
05-23-2009, 07:51 PM
So am I. You might know me by my stage name, Martin Scorsese.

Udokafan05
05-23-2009, 07:59 PM
The first terminator comes on at 9:00 pm on one of the starz channels.

Heath Ledger
05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
The guy who played Arnold definitely had his face 100 percent CGI'd here is his home page plenty of photos of him.

http://www.kickinger.com/

PakiDan
05-24-2009, 04:24 PM
You're an idiot. I'm actually a filmmaker. I could give a damn less about your opinion. The movie is trash and I won't be making movies for people like you and I'm fine with that.

So.... direct us to some of your works... perhaps your credits on the imdb... maybe some film festival entries... no?... oh, well, ummm... my bad!

PakiDan
05-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Wow, don't you people realize its a different story line. It's not the greatest film, but i enjoyed it.

There are WAY too many film critics in here. People forget that movies are supposed to entertain, and this one did. I thought it was great.

SA210
05-24-2009, 04:58 PM

monosylab1k
05-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I won't be making movies for people like you and I'm fine with that.

So why don't you tell us who exactly you'll be make movies for? Besides your mom and your film theory professor.

Let me guess, you want to be the next Wes Anderson.

dirk4mvp
05-24-2009, 06:03 PM
It was decent when it actually got going. The blowing shit up part was entertaining at least. The first part was terrible. I think the best part however was the 10 seconds that they played the Guns song. Just kidding but it was close.

And I agree that he should drop the batman voice.

I give it a 6.5.

And sa210 I'm about to go to best buy, can you suggest some of your flicks for me to pick up?

Trainwreck2100
05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
It was really contrived that Marcus had to die

lefty
05-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I've been told that the next 2 Terminators are supposed to be much better, since Salvation was made to set the stage

Cant_Be_Faded
05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
6/10

The biggest problem with this movie is that nothing really happens. They could have condensed this entire plot into the first 30 minutes. For god's sake, the entire first third of the movie is just that terminator guy walking and finding john connor.

This movie wasn't dense enough, it was overall pretty boring. But the graphics and action were cool.

LnGrrrR
05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
No, it isn't.

Let me rephrase: If there were any philosophical question to be posed by the Terminator franchise, it would be the idea of a technological singularity, where humankind is replaced/made obsolete by self-replicating robots. That much is pretty obvious.

The ACTUAL point of the movie is, of course, to make lots of money. :D

Phenomanul
05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
I didn't dislike it... I do find the notion that the machines wouldn't leave a particular 'confort zone' to hunt down humanity as somewhat perplexing... the Skynet program from part III seemed far more ruthless. It was also odd to see one of the terminators wearing a headband :wtf .....