PDA

View Full Version : Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars

Winehole23
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10,0,6051682.story)

Suit says cops force motorists, largely black, to forfeit cash and cars—or be charged with trumped-up crimes

By Howard Witt (http://www.chicagotribune.com/howardwitt) |Tribune correspondent March 10, 2009 http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-03/45491722.jpg
A Texas senator aims to rein in search-and-seizure practices like those used in Tenaha, where scores have been targeted but never charged with any crime. (San Antonio Express-News photo by Lisa Sandberg / February 6, 2009)

TENAHA, Texas— You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border if you're African-American, but you might not be able to drive out of it—at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.

That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from June 2006 to June 2008, according to court records. Among them were a black grandmother from Akron, who surrendered $4,000 in cash after Tenaha police pulled her over, and an interracial couple from Houston, who gave up more than $6,000 after police threatened to seize their children and put them into foster care, the court documents show. Neither the grandmother nor the couple were charged with any crime.

Officials in Tenaha, situated along a heavily traveled highway connecting Houston with popular gambling destinations in Louisiana, say they are engaged in a battle against drug trafficking and call the search-and-seizure practice a legitimate use of the state's asset-forfeiture law. That law permits local police agencies to keep drug money and other property used in the commission of a crime and add the proceeds to their budgets.
"We try to enforce the law here," said George Bowers, mayor of the town of 1,046 residents, where boarded-up businesses outnumber open ones and City Hall sports a broken window. "We're not doing this to raise money. That's all I'm going to say at this point."

But civil rights lawyers call Tenaha's practice something else: highway robbery. The attorneys have filed a federal class-action lawsuit to stop what they contend is an unconstitutional perversion of the law's intent, aimed primarily at blacks who have done nothing wrong.

Tenaha officials "have developed an illegal 'stop and seize' practice of targeting, stopping, detaining, searching and often seizing property from apparently non-white citizens and those traveling with non-white citizens," asserts the lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Texas.

The property seizures are not just happening in Tenaha. In southern parts of Texas near the Mexican border, for example, Hispanics allege that they are being singled out.

According to a prominent state legislator, police agencies across Texas are wielding the asset-forfeiture law more aggressively to supplement their shrinking operating budgets.

"If used properly, it's a good law-enforcement tool to see that crime doesn't pay," said state Sen. John Whitmire, chairman of the Senate's Criminal Justice Committee. "But in this instance, where people are being pulled over and their property is taken with no charges filed and no convictions, I think that's theft."

David Guillory, an attorney in Nacogdoches who filed the federal lawsuit, said he combed through Shelby County court records from 2006 to 2008 and discovered nearly 200 cases in which Tenaha police seized cash and property from motorists. In about 50 of the cases, suspects were charged with drug possession.

But in 147 others, Guillory said the court records showed, police seized cash, jewelry, cell phones and sometimes even automobiles from motorists but never found any contraband or charged them with any crime. Of those, Guillory said he managed to contact 40 of the motorists directly—and discovered all but one of them were black.

"The whole thing is disproportionately targeted toward minorities, particularly African-Americans," Guillory said. "None of these people have been charged with a crime, none were engaged in anything that looked criminal. The sole factor is that they had something that looked valuable."

In some cases, police used the fact that motorists were carrying large amounts of cash as evidence that they must have been involved in laundering drug money, even though Guillory said each of the drivers he contacted could account for where the money had come from and why they were carrying it—such as for a gambling trip to Shreveport, La., or to purchase a used car from a private seller.

Once the motorists were detained, the police and the local Shelby County district attorney quickly drew up legal papers presenting them with an option: waive their rights to their cash and property or face felony charges for crimes such as money laundering—and the prospect of having to hire a lawyer and return to Shelby County multiple times to attend court sessions to contest the charges.

The process apparently is so routine in Tenaha that Guillory discovered pre-signed and pre-notarized police affidavits with blank spaces left for an officer to describe the property being seized.

Jennifer Boatright, her husband and two young children—a mixed-race family—were traveling from Houston to visit relatives in east Texas in April 2007 when Tenaha police pulled them over, alleging that they were driving in a left-turn lane.

After searching the car, the officers discovered what Boatright said was a gift for her sister: a small, unused glass pipe made for smoking marijuana. Although they found no drugs or other contraband, the police seized $6,037 that Boatright said the family was carrying to purchase a used car—and then threatened to turn their children, ages 10 and 1, over to Child Protective Services if the couple didn't agree to sign over their right to their cash.

"It was give them the money or they were taking our kids," Boatright said. "They suggested that we never bring it up again. We figured we better give them our cash and get the hell out of there."

Several months later, after Boatright and her husband contacted an attorney, Tenaha officials returned their money but offered no explanation or apology. The couple remain plaintiffs in the federal lawsuit.

Except for Tenaha's mayor, none of the defendants in the lawsuit, including Shelby County District Atty. Linda Russell and two Tenaha police officers, responded to requests from the Tribune for comment about their search-and-seizure practices. Lawyers for the defendants also declined to comment, as did several of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

But Whitmire says he doesn't need to await the suit's outcome to try to fix what he regards as a statewide problem. On Monday he introduced a bill in the state Legislature that would require police to go before a judge before attempting to seize property under the asset-forfeiture law—and ultimately Whitmire hopes to tighten the law further so that law-enforcement officials will be allowed to seize property only after a suspect is charged and convicted in a court.

"The law has gotten away from what was intended, which was to take the profits of a bad guy's crime spree and use it for additional crime-fighting," Whitmire said. "Now it's largely being used to pay police salaries—and it's being abused because you don't even have to be a bad guy to lose your property."

Ignignokt
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I've been denied roadside along the texas LA border... Believe it.

wait, that didn't sound good.

balli
03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Common practice. We're taking your shit for no reason (you're black) and if you want it back, come down to the station and prove it's yours. 99% of cops are crooked pieces of shit and it's the reason I don't blink an eye in regret when I read about cop killers.

And whichever judge(s) is pre-signing blank affidavits/warrants should be thrown off the bench and into a jail cell.

Creepn
03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
So I guess white people no longer think blacks are poor welfare folks?

Extra Stout
03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
The cops on the Louisiana side tried the same thing about ten years ago... then the Justice Department got involved IIRC.

LockBeard
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
99% of cops are crooked pieces of shit and it's the reason I don't blink an eye in regret when I read about cop killers.

You're a piece of shit, much like that stat you just pulled out of your ass. Find help.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
It's a bad law. Needs to be changed.

DarrinS
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
There are a lot of backward-ass shitholes along the TX-LA border.

balli
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
You're a piece of shit, much like that stat you just pulled out of your ass. Find help.

Listen captain America, when you go through some of the battles that I've been through, with about 99% of the cops I've encountered, maybe you can comment about my level of disdain for them. Until then or until you know my circumstances, STFU.

DarrinS
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Listen captain America, when you go through some of the battles that I've been through, with about 99% of the cops I've encountered, maybe you can comment about my level of disdain for them. Until then or until you know my circumstances, STFU.

Are you the black guy in Utah?

balli
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm the pothead in Utah. Which means I might as well be.

clambake
03-10-2009, 04:21 PM
i can't understand how half of you guys can live in texas.

balli
03-10-2009, 04:21 PM

:lol You're not a Texan? I didn't know that.

Ignignokt
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
because the hill country >>>>> most of america.

Extra Stout
03-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I would never voluntarily live in East Texas. It's a haven for those who find Louisiana too cosmopolitan and forward-thinking.

Winehole23
Nice stat, don't forget to wash the brown off of it. You're a piece of shit. Find help.Planting more seeds, I see. :jack

Any thoughts on forfeiture, LockBeard, or do you limit your consciousness raising to profane drive-by's?

LockBeard

I know more about law enforcement than you could ever hope to along with the numerous friends I have who are swat/leo and I say again...

You are a grade A Piece of shit. Who the fuck even makes statements like yours above. :lol You have baffled my mind good sir.

LockBeard
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Good. Stay the fuck out.

balli
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I know more about law enforcement than you could ever hope to along with the numerous friends I have who are swat/leo and I say again...
Friends of yours are cops? Further solidifies my point that most cops are pieces of shit.

balli
03-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Besides, don't pretend like my laissez-faire attitude about police safety is anything new.

clambake
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Good. Stay the fuck out.

:lol you belong to the other half.

DarrinS
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Just don't live in far East Texas.

baseline bum
03-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Friends of yours are cops? Further solidifies my point that most cops are pieces of shit.

:lmao

johnsmith
03-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Then please, by all means enlighten us because by posting the drivel that you post in regards to police officers you make yourself sound like a teenage bitch upset about her pot getting taken by the cops.

Since we can't read minds and don't know your "circumstances", then explain them to us............until then, you are now a 16 year old, female, pothead that had her bong taken when she was smoking weed in the high school parking lot.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
No, cops would never do something like that. Just like they'd never decide to start enforcing traffic laws at the end of the month.

Spur-Addict
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM
No, cops would never do something like that. Just like they'd never decide to start enforcing traffic laws at the end of the month.

True story.

Winehole23
09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Class action certified:

http://www.ktre.com/story/15355047/federal-judge-rules-in-favor-of-plaintiffs-in-lawsuit-against-tenaha

Agloco
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM

This.

ElNono
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Sad that these corrupt officials just "resigned", and the state now has to pony up for their fuckups.

cheguevara
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
something about putting on a cop uniform makes ppl extra racist. even minority cops start getting racist towards minorities.

cheguevara
09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I swear there is a uniform syndrome us humans have. And when you involve leather boots and hats/helmets, forget about it.

cheguevara
09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
watch that movie "the experiment" and you will see. it is based on true story. watch the german version.

basically random ppl are separated into guards and inmates. then they start the simulation. the guards who were perfectly normal ppl become animals.

cantthinkofanything
09-01-2011, 01:35 PM
watch that movie "the experiment" and you will see. it is based on true story. watch the german version.

basically random ppl are separated into guards and inmates. then they start the simulation. the guards who were perfectly normal ppl become animals.

Good movie. I didn't see the English version but the German was very good.

boutons_deux
09-01-2011, 01:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2766679/posts

Anybody is extremely naive if they think US cops and US military won't slaughter non-threatening but civilly disobeying Human-Americans. orders is orders, as the Eichmann defense goes.

cantthinkofanything
09-01-2011, 01:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2766679/posts

Anybody is extremely naive if they think US cops and US military won't slaughter non-threatening but civilly disobeying Human-Americans. orders is orders, as the Eichmann defense goes.

Anybody is extremely cynical if they think that all cops and military would comply those kind of orders.

boutons_deux
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't need ALL cops and military, just enough to be aiming at you.

And once the shooting starts, any conscience-pricked recalcitrants will very probably "go along to get along". That's how they've been brainwashed by training.

and we can very safely assume that there plenty of cops, military, and obviously mercenaries who join up for the chance of obtaining the official authority to hurt, maim, kill.

Not so long ago, National Guardsmen killed Human-Americans for property crimes.

"Running away with a TV lady? I blow your legs off with my machine gun."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Riots

cantthinkofanything
09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't need ALL cops and military, just enough to be aiming at you.

and we can very safely assume that there plenty of cops, military, and obviously mercenaries who join up for the chance of obtaining the official authority to hurt, maim, kill.

You're pretty damn extreme. I don't disagree that putting on a uniform can grossly affect the personality of the wearer. But you're a nutty fuckstick.

boutons_deux
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
You're pretty damn extreme. I don't disagree that putting on a uniform can grossly affect the personality of the wearer. But you're a nutty fuckstick.

Not a nutty, and fucked up as "good Germans" wearing us/police uniforms.

boutons_deux
08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Law to Clean Up ‘Nuisances’ Costs Innocent People Their Homes

http://www.propublica.org/images/ngen/gypsy_big_image/ppar_rochelle_bing_630x420_130802.jpg

When Rochelle Bing bought her modest row home on a tattered block in North Philadelphia 10 years ago, she saw it as an investment in the future for her extended family — especially for her 18 grandchildren.

Bing, 42, works full-time as a home health assistant for the elderly and disabled. In summer when school is out, her house is awash with grandkids whom Bing tends to while their parents work. And the home has been a haven in troubled times when her children needed help or a father went to jail. One of Bing’s grandchildren lives there now.

“That’s the only reason I bought my home — I needed stability for my children,” Bing said. “And if anything was to happen to me, they would have a home to live in.”

But four years ago, something happened that imperiled Bing’s plans. In October 2009, police raided the house and charged her son, Andrew, then 24, with selling 8 packets of crack cocaine to an undercover informant. (Upon entering the house, police reported finding unused packets, though not drugs, in a rear bedroom.) Rochelle Bing was not present and was not accused of a crime. Yet she soon received a frightening letter from the Philadelphia district attorney’s office. Because Andrew had sold the drugs from inside his mother’s house, a task force of law enforcement officials moved to seize Bing’s house. They filed a court claim (http://www.propublica.org/documents/item/746098-rochelle-bing-forfeiture-petition), quickly approved, that gave Bing just 30 days to dissuade a judge from granting “a decree of forfeiture” that would give the DA’s office title to the property. Bing was devastated.

But authorities can also use civil law to seize assets before the criminal case is adjudicated or, as with Rochelle Bing, even when no charges are brought against the owner.

Doing so offers prosecutors considerable advantages. Unlike the “proof beyond a reasonable doubt” required in criminal law, prosecutors seeking civil forfeitures face a much lower standard. Usually, they need only prove that a “preponderance of evidence” connects the property — not its owner — to a crime. Technically, the property — not the owner — is named as the defendant.

Bing’s name, in fact, appears nowhere in the case involving her own home, listed in court filings as “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. The Real Property and Improvements Known as 2544 N. Colorado St.”

Over the last two decades, forfeitures have evolved into a booming business for police agencies across the country, from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration to small-town sheriff’s offices. Although there is no single tally of all this activity – the information is buried in the budgets, court records and annual reports of thousands of individual agencies — the available data makes clear that billions of dollars in cash, cars, real estate and other assets are being confiscated nationwide every year via civil forfeitures.

One measure is the growth of a program in which federal law enforcement officials seize property on behalf of local authorities in exchange for a share of the proceeds. In 2000, officials racked up $500 million in forfeitures. By 2012, that amount rose to $4.2 billion, an eightfold increase.

Bing is among a significant number of property owners not charged with any crime who lost their home or have battled for years against forfeiture actions. Other similar cases reviewed by ProPublica include an elderly widow, two sisters who shared a house, a waitress and hospital worker caring for two children, and a mother of three whose family wound up homeless. All stemmed from drug charges brought against a family member.

Critics argue that the power to pursue civil forfeiture has been abused by prosecutors and is creating a new class of collateral victims. Often they are minorities like Bing without the financial resources or legal know-how to protect their assets.

And prosecutors typically prevail. Of nearly 2,000 cases filed against Philadelphia houses from 2008 through 2012, records reviewed by ProPublica show that only 30 ended with a judge rejecting the attempt to seize the property.

http://www.propublica.org/article/law-to-clean-up-nuisances-costs-innocent-people-their-homes

Ever hear of a white person's Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc $10m+ house being seized when drugs are found?

Wild Cobra
08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Ever hear of a white person's Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc $10m+ house being seized when drugs are found?

Were they selling the drugs?

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure for them to seize her home, it has to be shown that she had culpability in the selling of these drugs. Seizures have specific requirements, based on items bought with ill gotten gains.

Too bad Paul Harvey isn't around to tell us "The Rest of the Story."

Biernutz
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
The town in Louisiana that was stopping cars on I10 was the town of Sulfur. The Louisiana State Police patrols very hard from the Tex border to Lafayette as hard as any strech I have ever seen on a interstate.

TeyshaBlue
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Might want to read the link again, WC.

TeyshaBlue
08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/31/more-from-the-philadelphia-asset-forfeit

http://www.citypaper.net/cover_story/2012-11-29-civil-asset-forfeiture.html

boutons_deux
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Were they selling the drugs?

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure for them to seize her home, it has to be shown that she had culpability in the selling of these drugs. Seizures have specific requirements, based on items bought with ill gotten gains.

Too bad Paul Harvey isn't around to tell us "The Rest of the Story."

Isn't just the amount of an illegal substance enough to charge "intent to distribute"? If a pot head movie star or banker/trader had 1 lb of marijuana, would that be enough for "intent to distribute"?