PDA

View Full Version : "Produce the Note"-- a new twist on the foreclosure boom

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Executive summary:
The banks and financial geniuses who bundled all those mortgages forgot to actually write valid contracts when they resold them, leaving the actual terms and owners of the mortgages in doubt. "Oopsies, you mean we can't forclose on that property because we don't actually own the mortgage?"

Missing Mortgage Notes Delay Some Foreclosures
by Greg Allen

All Things Considered, March 10, 2009 · Many mortgages are not held by banks, but by securitized trusts — complicated arrangements that involve many investors and byzantine legal documents. Homeowner advocates say they're finding a surprising number of improper mortgage documents and — in some cases — fraud that can delay foreclosure.

For years, lawyers defending homeowners against foreclosure had just one option: Convince lenders to re-negotiate the terms of their mortgage. Now they're taking their cases to court.

The 'Rocket Docket'

In Fort Myers, Fla., it's been called the "rocket docket" — a special court that hears — and clears — hundreds of foreclosures each day.

An average case takes just two to three minutes. State Circuit Judge James Thompson gets right to the point with homeowner Theresa Weber: "Miss Weber, it appears the bank has done what's necessary to get a judgment of foreclosure. Can you think of any legal reason why one should not take place?"

Like nearly all the other defendants, Weber answers, "No" and she gets what appears to be the standard judgment — 60 days to vacate the premises.

There are few tears in this court, mostly resignation.

In Miami-Dade County, across the state, Ana Fernandez says she thought that would be her fate as well.

Fernandez says she made a big mistake a few years ago when she refinanced her home. The new mortgage started with monthly payments of $1,200, but soon ballooned to $2,600 per month. "There was no way that I could afford paying that mortgage," she says.

Fernandez's home is a modest but recently updated three-bedroom house in Miami Gardens. She's lived here for 24 years.

When Fernandez contacted her lender, Chevy Chase Bank, she says the bank was no help: "They told me the best I could do was [get my payments] up to date and then start paying again, which would still leave me with the $2,600 [monthly payment]."

Fernandez learned firsthand how difficult it can be to convince lenders to negotiate terms that allow borrowers to remain in their homes.

Negotiating To Stay In Homes

When Fernandez's lawyer, Ray Garcia, took the case, he found that Chevy Chase Bank had no proof that it, in fact, owned her loan.

In a hearing, a lawyer representing the bank conceded that he did not have the original mortgage note — something that's required by law. What he did have was a copy.

Chevy Chase Bank bought Fernandez's loan from another institution. And, Garcia says, when he examined the copy, it showed ownership of the loan had never been assigned or transferred to Chevy Chase. In a recent interview in his office, he said: "As we sit here today, they haven't produced a note. They've produced absolutely no record evidence that Chevy Chase has a right to bring this action."

Chevy Chase was recently acquired by Capital One Bank. A Capital One spokeswoman maintains the company has filed the original note, but otherwise had no comment.

Producing The Mortgage Note

The demand that banks seeking foreclosure "produce the note" is a cry that's gotten attention from housing activists and real estate attorneys across the country.

For banks that own and service the loans they originate, finding the original paperwork is rarely a problem. But with loans that have been securitized — parceled with other mortgages and sold to investors — the original mortgage note can be elusive.

Lawyer April Charney, who works with Jacksonville Legal Services in Florida, has become well-known as an expert on defending homeowners against foreclosures. She says asking the bank to produce the paperwork is just the beginning.

She says lawyers who take the time to study the mortgage notes and the securitization agreements will almost always find deficiencies, and sometimes, fraud. "These loans are so tricked up by the Ponzi scheme that became the world of securitization and derivatives, that there is no owner to these loans," she says. "They just totally failed to comply with their contracts."

Charney has a full caseload and she's been working to train a small army of lawyers through seminars across the country.

The new world of securitized mortgages, she says, is layered and nuanced. Some courts, overwhelmed by a growing backlog of foreclosures, can even be hostile to attorneys who want to slow down the process.

But in some cases, it's the judges who are beginning to ask probing questions of plaintiffs seeking foreclosures. In California, federal bankruptcy judge Samuel Bufford has written about some of the new issues courts must consider in foreclosure cases. "One of the problems I see … is I don't seem to have the right parties before the court," he says. "I've taken testimony … and found out that the owner of the mortgage is somebody else who has not shown up in court at all."

A Changing Landscape

It's a still-developing area of law and it's one that could change abruptly with new federal legislation governing foreclosures.

Still, the growing number of legal challenges troubles Talcott Franklin, an attorney in Dallas and an expert on securitized mortgages.

He says mortgage-backed securities are an important part of a healthy housing market. If many of the legal challenges being mounted around the country are successful, he worries, that could undermine a vital financial tool.

"My big fear," Franklin says, "is that we'll get a series of decisions, based on not fully understood facts, which will prevent securitization from going forward in the future."

Franklin doesn't blame homeowners or their lawyers for bringing the challenges. He's more critical of lenders and their attorneys for not doing a better job understanding securitized mortgages and for not taking care of important legal matters before going to court to foreclose on a home.

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
This could cause the value of many more of those securitized bonds to simply fall to dust, simply because the jackasses who put them together didn't do the paperwork.

Fucking MBA's can't find their asses with both hands, and we all suffer.

ashbeeigh
03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Yep. Ask 'em to get the papers. It takes a while. Well, everything with a mortgage company takes a while. Welcome to 2009.

InRareForm
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
interesting.

boutons_
03-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Now all I'm hearing is the people with good credit who want to re-finance or buy are having to wait months while the lenders do the .... paperwork! :lol

Mark in Austin
03-11-2009, 05:41 AM
He says mortgage-backed securities are an important part of a healthy housing market. If many of the legal challenges being mounted around the country are successful, he worries, that could undermine a vital financial tool.

Complete and utter horseshit spewing from the piehole of a greedy and/or stupid motherfucker. The housing market got along fine without mountains of bundled mortgage backed securities. Calling this shit a vital financial tool is like calling VX gas a vital weapons system: it completely omits the very real, and very devastating collateral damage that is caused when using them.

RandomGuy
03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Complete and utter horseshit spewing from the piehole of a greedy and/or stupid motherfucker. The housing market got along fine without mountains of bundled mortgage backed securities. Calling this shit a vital financial tool is like calling VX gas a vital weapons system: it completely omits the very real, and very devastating collateral damage that is caused when using them.

Mortgage backed securities in and of themselves aren't the problem it is how they are used and put together.

If you get greedy and relax your lending standards, or as the article suggests happens sometimes, commit fraud, then you are misusing what it otherwise a good tool.

It is a bit like blaming the car for the driver's reckless behavior.

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Denying these foreclosures because the original copy of the loan document been lost or misplaced would be complete and total horseshit. If you take that legal theory to its logical conclusion then we wouldn't need a divorce court...all you would have to do is "lose" your original marriage certificate...

BacktoBasics
03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Denying these foreclosures because the original copy of the loan document been lost or misplaced would be complete and total horseshit. If you take that legal theory to its logical conclusion then we wouldn't need a divorce court...all you would have to do is "lose" your original marriage certificate...This in theory should solve 90% of the debt collections going on too. Including the fraudulent claims that so many collection agencies perpetrate. However it rarely works.

I can't remember how many times I said "show me the document I signed for your service that you claim I'm delinquent on". Then we can compare signatures and particulars. Rarely got me anywhere and that was on a power bill from Louisiana that was in my name but wasn't me. Someone else with the same name. They didn't have a signature to compare. It took my SS card, my birth certificate and a hell of a lot of proof to show that I had never in my life lived in LA. 6 months to get removed.

This trend won't last.

RandomGuy
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Denying these foreclosures because the original copy of the loan document been lost or misplaced would be complete and total horseshit. If you take that legal theory to its logical conclusion then we wouldn't need a divorce court...all you would have to do is "lose" your original marriage certificate...

In a few of the cases people who weren't the actual owners of the mortgage note were trying to foreclose.

One other outgrowth of this is that a lot of the securitized mortgages are so complicated that they preclude modifying the mortgage when it might be in the interests of the investors who were the eventual owners to actually do so, simply because of the way the notes and contracts were worded.

Some of the people trying to get out of foreclosure by doing this may be weasels, but if the people who were supposed to be professionals about this weren't doing their jobs, then the institutions that f***ed up deserve to get kicked in the nuts.

CavsSuperFan
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
The way I am hearing it, is that it buys time for the occupants of a home that is in foreclosure…Many people have been lost in the shuffle in their proceedings, home owners have tried to talk to their lender about options but are given the run around…

The fact that some lenders cannot produce the loan documents is kind of funny….

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not defending all the bundled and securitized mortgages, but just because they didn't do the legal work exactly right when they were transferred it should not negate the mortgage.

The mortgage commitment for the borrower to send a check in X amount to Y every month should still exist. If the commitment DIDN'T exist then why was the borrower mailing X amount to Y every month before he hired the attorney? A certified copy of the note should be just as enforceable as the original note.

RandomGuy
03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not defending all the bundled and securitized mortgages, but just because they didn't do the legal work exactly right when they were transferred it should not negate the mortgage.

The mortgage commitment for the borrower to send a check in X amount to Y every month should still exist. If the commitment DIDN'T exist then why was the borrower mailing X amount to Y every month before he hired the attorney? A certified copy of the note should be just as enforceable as the original note.

I agree for the most part.

In the end such protections as making sure that the actual note are produced are intended to deter fraud, and that public policy aim trumps the occasional loss.

If a contract is so badly written that it is unenforcible, how do you know who to pay even if you can?

I am willing to put up with a bit of abuse of this, because in the end the alternative, i.e. increased incidences of outright fraud and grab-ass-tic morons writing shitty contracts at will, is worse.