PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: No Manu, Gooden until after Lakers visit

CubanMustGo
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/03/no-manu-no-good.html

By
Jeff McDonald
on Mar 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich confirmed Tuesday night what most of us had already come to suspect: Manu Ginobili's triumphant return to the active lineup will not come Thursday against the L.A. Lakers.

When Ginobili was initially shelved after the All-Star break, suffering what what was later diagnosed as a stress reaction in his right ankle, team doctors put a prognosis of two to three weeks on his return. Thursday's game would come three weeks to the day.

Ginobili has begun a rehab regimen consisting of weight training, pool work and time on the stationary bike and treadmill, but has not yet been cleared to return to practice. So Popovich's announcement that Ginobili would in no way, shape or form be available against L.A. came as no surprise.

Meanwhile, Popovich says he doesn't expect Drew Gooden will be making his Spurs debut against their biggest Western Conference rival, either. Gooden has been nursing a calf strain since before signing with the Spurs on Saturday.

Popovich hinted Gooden might see his first action on the two-game road trip to Houston and Oklahoma City that begins Saturday.

"When he came, I told him he wouldn't play against Phoenix, or here or probably not even L.A., and we'd assess it then," Popovich said. "He had a week of rest. Now he'd have a week of strengthening that area and just see what he feels like at that point."

Spursfan092120
03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/03/no-manu-no-good.html

By
Jeff McDonald
on Mar 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich confirmed Tuesday night what most of us had already come to suspect: Manu Ginobili's triumphant return to the active lineup will not come Thursday against the L.A. Lakers.

When Ginobili was initially shelved after the All-Star break, suffering what what was later diagnosed as a stress reaction in his right ankle, team doctors put a prognosis of two to three weeks on his return. Thursday's game would come three weeks to the day.

Ginobili has begun a rehab regimen consisting of weight training, pool work and time on the stationary bike and treadmill, but has not yet been cleared to return to practice. So Popovich's announcement that Ginobili would in no way, shape or form be available against L.A. came as no surprise.

Meanwhile, Popovich says he doesn't expect Drew Gooden will be making his Spurs debut against their biggest Western Conference rival, either. Gooden has been nursing a calf strain since before signing with the Spurs on Saturday.

Popovich hinted Gooden might see his first action on the two-game road trip to Houston and Oklahoma City that begins Saturday.

"When he came, I told him he wouldn't play against Phoenix, or here or probably not even L.A., and we'd assess it then," Popovich said. "He had a week of rest. Now he'd have a week of strengthening that area and just see what he feels like at that point."
I thought it was a groin strain

Spursmania
03-10-2009, 10:33 PM
So did I and most report stated a groin strain. Calf strain? Pop undercover again?

CubanMustGo
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
More likely a McMiscue.

exstatic
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM

So did I and most report stated a groin strain. Calf strain? Pop undercover again?

Old McDonald had a fart...

texbound
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
More likely a McMiscue.

That's where I'd put my money if I were a betting man. In fact, that's a slam McDunk.

Yorae
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Way to go Jeff....

200 miles
03-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Manu's return game: at home against the T-wolves

Drew's inaugural game as a Spur: on the road against the Thunder

Book it.

03-10-2009, 10:49 PM
gooden has been good to go since he got traded. popovich not revealing anything to the lakers. i like that. benched him 3 games just so it doesn't become suspicious when he's benched against the lakers.

completely deck
03-10-2009, 10:57 PM
gooden has been good to go since he got traded. popovich not revealing anything to the lakers. i like that. benched him 3 games just so it doesn't become suspicious when he's benched against the lakers.

Came here to post this. I honestly feel as if Drew is fine, they are just delaying his debut for after the Lakers. I'm going to put my money on Saturday @ Houston though.

benefactor
Gooden has been nursing a calf strain since before signing with the Spurs on Saturday.
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/m/mcdonalds_fail-12853.jpg

Spursmania
Old McDonald had a fart...

EEYA EEYA OOH!!:lol

Spursmania
03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Came here to post this. I honestly feel as if Drew is fine, they are just delaying his debut for after the Lakers. I'm going to put my money on Saturday @ Houston though.

He looked good warming up (practice videos). I agree, we will see him against Houston.

ducks
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
nothing new here

ducks
03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
pop does not want lakers to be goodens first game
cia pop

SpursFanInAustin
03-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Yep. Pop is just hiding Gooden for a playoff matchup with LA. Meanwhile, if the Lakers beat the Spurs, the media and bandwagon Laker fans will claim it as a "statement" game, when in reality, the Spurs aren't showing their hand to the Lakers before the postseason.

peskypesky
03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Yep. Pop is just hiding Gooden for a playoff matchup with LA. Meanwhile, if the Lakers beat the Spurs, the media and bandwagon Laker fans will claim it as a "statement" game, when in reality, the Spurs aren't showing their hand to the Lakers before the postseason.

:ace

DrHouse
03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
If an injured Drew Gooden is your ace in the hole you're fucked.

ducks
03-10-2009, 11:36 PM

you think he is better then that other laker fellow resting up now:lmao

Andy25
03-10-2009, 11:37 PM
:ace

Pop you brilliant trolling bastard. Keep on trolling the NBA.

Spursfan092120
03-10-2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/images/photos/2008/12/25/w2lml950.jpg

Our ace in the hole...ask Kobe 'bout it.

Spursfan092120
03-10-2009, 11:40 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eWLgIu9FH4Rw/340x.jpg

Just because I'm excited about it..looks good, don't it?

Andy25
03-10-2009, 11:44 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eWLgIu9FH4Rw/340x.jpg

Just because I'm excited about it..looks good, don't it?

He looks so focused.

Spursfan092120
03-10-2009, 11:51 PM
He looks so focused.
I know..I thought so too...I hope he has that same focused look come gametime.

completely deck
03-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Where did that Gooden picture come from?

Spursmania
03-11-2009, 12:14 AM
:blah

crc21209
03-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Man I hope I see both Gooden and Manu in action next Tuesday when I go to the Spurs-T'Wolves game.

TMTTRIO
03-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't mind just sitting Manu out until the last two or three games of this month. The guys are really playing well without him plus it would give him plenty of time to be really 100% for the playoffs. I am a little concerned that since the AS Break it has only slowly progressed in the healing process but I guess originally we all thought it was going to be season ending anyways. As for Gooden hopefully he plays against Houston.

duncan228
03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Where did that Gooden picture come from?

You can find it here, it's part of the media introduction when he joined the Spurs. Spurs.com did a photo gallery on him too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3602/photos;_ylt=AonmB2sjkr67q8184hEzkA.uPKB4

duncan228
03-11-2009, 12:32 AM
The Spurs.com link, write-up, video and pics on Gooden.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_drew_gooden_090305.html

bigdog
03-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Gooden will play against Houston. Book it.

phyzik
03-11-2009, 01:47 AM
CIA Pop

completely deck
03-11-2009, 01:48 AM
You can find it here, it's part of the media introduction when he joined the Spurs. Spurs.com did a photo gallery on him too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3602/photos;_ylt=AonmB2sjkr67q8184hEzkA.uPKB4

The Spurs.com link, write-up, video and pics on Gooden.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_drew_gooden_090305.html

:tu Thank you VERY much! :toast

TDMVPDPOY
03-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Now he'd have a week of strengthening that area and just see what he feels like at that point."

i wonder what that involve? :wakeup

Obstructed_View
03-11-2009, 02:16 AM
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/m/mcdonalds_fail-12853.jpg

I literally spit all over my monitor I laughed so hard at this. :lol

Dingle Barry
03-11-2009, 02:23 AM
It's a fucking travesty that Jeff McDonald draws a paycheck with this country in the shape it's in.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2009, 02:31 AM
It's a fucking travesty that Jeff McDonald draws a paycheck with this country in the shape it's in.

I'd move my family to San Antonio if they'd do all of us the courtesy of giving me his job. My practice at proofreading my Spurstalk posts gives me confidence that I could do a better job of writing about the Spurs than he could.

GodFamilySPURS
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I really hope Drew Gooden plays in the Spurs @ Houston Game. I'll be at the game with my Spurs entourage cheering on the Spurs. One of us will make a Drew Gooden Sign For Sure!

SenorSpur
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
pop does not want lakers to be goodens first game
cia pop

+1

Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I realized that after Gooden didn't play versus the Bobtails, that there was no way he'd play against the Fakers. Pop is clearly striving to keep an air of mystery surrounding Gooden.

MarHill
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't mind just sitting Manu out until the last two or three games of this month. The guys are really playing well without him plus it would give him plenty of time to be really 100% for the playoffs. I am a little concerned that since the AS Break it has only slowly progressed in the healing process but I guess originally we all thought it was going to be season ending anyways. As for Gooden hopefully he plays against Houston.

I disagree with you about Manu.

It took him about a month after he came back earlier this season to get his rhythm and timing back and he needs at least 2-3 weeks to do that at the end of the season.

Basketball is a rhythm game and he can only get that by playing as many games as possible.

I hope next week's games with OKC, Minnesota, and Boston he comes back because that will him about a month to get in rhythm for the playoffs.

dmac
03-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Gooden's groin goes all the way to his calf.

MoSpur
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I hope he comes in and provides a lot of rebounding help.

hater
03-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I was one of the first to say Pop will not let Jackson see Gooden in the Spurs live.

BTW, Gooden's groin injury has been bugging him for 2 years. He could play today if Pop wanted to. All CIA Pop

z0sa
03-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Gooden is just more icing on the cake - without him, we could have beat any WC team and probably Boston/Cleveland. With him, barring numerous defense erring, IMO we're the team to beat besides Boston.

SpuronyourFace
03-11-2009, 10:21 AM
No sense in rushing these guys into the lineup for the Lakers game. Besides, the real season hasn't started yet.

xtremesteven33
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Gooden is just more icing on the cake - without him, we could have beat any WC team and probably Boston/Cleveland. With him, barring numerous defense erring, IMO we're the team to beat besides Boston.

Los Angeles is the team to beat.

We gotta go out there and prove it.

SPURTRON
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I just want to see how he will fit in and what he can do.

CubanMustGo
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
LOL someone asked old McDonald if he really meant groin strain and he responded "why yes I do" and changed the article. McD needs to share whatever pittance he got for writing that tripe.

z0sa
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Los Angeles is the team to beat.

We gotta go out there and prove it.

If you want to get caught up in the hype of the near exact same team that had two of the worst losses in finals history last June, go ahead.

I'll continue to hold confidence in my new and improved spurs.

xtremesteven33
03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
If you want to get caught up in the hype of the near exact same team that had two of the worst losses in finals history last June, go ahead.

{Concerning the West}

"To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man."

WOOOOOO!!!!

The_Game
03-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Lakers arent the same team as last year either.

Even if Bynum doesn't comeback they have a better team than last season with Gasol in for a full year and Ariza back healthly....Bynum should return so that will give them a very good interior guy who can score, rebound and block shots.

You are the only person on earth who thinks adding Gooden makes the spurs the team to beat...as it doesn't. Spurs are going to have to play a great series to beat L.A who are the favourites out west.

z0sa
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm a closet hiding laker loving douche.

Shouldn't you keep this sort of information to yourself?

z0sa
03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
{Concerning the West}

"To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man."

WOOOOOO!!!!

The "man" is Boston, son. Not the team that wilted against them twice horribly out of 4 losses. I mean, Boston went up 2-0 first thing and really outclassed them 3-1 through 4.

LA only scares the pussies, just being blunt. I don't see how anyone could fear Pau "I cant even will my team to one playoff win" Gasol and the an injured Bynum who won't have 10 games in a Laker uniform before playoffs start.

xtremesteven33
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
The "man" is Boston, son. Not the team that wilted against them twice horribly out of 4 losses. I mean, Boston went up 2-0 first thing and really outclassed them 3-1 through 4.

LA only scares the pussies, just being blunt. I don't see how anyone could fear Pau "I cant even will my team to one playoff win" Gasol and the an injured Bynum who won't have 10 games in a Laker uniform before playoffs start.

{Concerning the West}

Son

z0sa
03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
{Concerning the West}

Son

my bad, but then again i dont know why every other spurs fan shits his pants when the word "Lakers" gets brought up. The media definitely has done its work.

Gutter92
03-11-2009, 12:06 PM

An injured Bynum is yours...you're fucked too lawl.

VI_Massive
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I really hope Drew Gooden plays in the Spurs @ Houston Game. I'll be at the game with my Spurs entourage cheering on the Spurs. One of us will make a Drew Gooden Sign For Sure!

Gooden Sign Ideas:

"GOODENOUGH 4 A BACK UP 4"

"THANKS FOR SHAVING!"

others?

ElNono
03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Nothing to see here, please move along
:hat

Spursfan092120
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Gooden Sign Ideas:

"GOODENOUGH 4 A BACK UP 4"

"THANKS FOR SHAVING!"

others?
I saw this somewhere..thought it was funny:

We hope to see

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fdjZDaTfNXA/SJfLopRer8I/AAAAAAAAATI/KexyP6tu-Zo/s320/good_plenty_html.jpg

The_Game
03-11-2009, 01:06 PM
my bad, but then again i dont know why every other spurs fan shits his pants when the word "Lakers" gets brought up. The media definitely has done its work.

Maybe because the Lakers beat us in 5 games last year when Bynum and Ariza were both missing? hmm...yes thats why.

Will adding Mason and Gooden be good enough to beat the lakers this time around? who knows..maybe.

anonoftheinternets
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe because the Lakers beat us in 5 games last year when Bynum and Ariza were both missing? hmm...yes thats why.

Will adding Mason and Gooden be good enough to beat the lakers this time around? who knows..maybe.

whatever you say laker fan.

The_Game
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
either reply to the points i made or don't bother replying. I'm here to talk basketball if you aren't get lost.

z0sa
03-11-2009, 02:31 PM

You're clearly looking at the glass half empty. There's another side of the equation, when you feel like repping the spurs instead of dogging them you can come over anytime.

Also touched on Bynum and how little he will probably contribute when it all comes down to it.

Will adding Hill, Mason and Gooden and a rested and hopefully healthy Manu be good enough to beat the lakers this time around?

FIFY and my answer was yes before we added Gooden. Its only my opinion, if you didn't have Kobe's dick shoved down your throat and was actually a spurs fan, you probably wouldnt get so butthurt about it.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM

I don't know why a Spurs fan can't correctly point out facts to you. The Spurs are NOT the defending western conference champs, and the team with that distinction currently has a near insurmountable lead for HCA and has looked pretty damn good against the Spurs so far. Gooden's a great acquisition, but if the Spurs want to be champs, they'd better go out there and earn it, something I'm sure we'd all like to see.