PDA

View Full Version : Once again Stein shows his knowledge

hater
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
"I don't think I'm exactly 100 percent, but I don't know that I will be. It's just the wear and tear of the season. This is just how I'm going to be for the rest of the way here."

San Antonio's Tim Duncan, acknowledging that his season-long sharpness hasn't been there since he took three games off to rest his ailing right knee.

Duncan shot 20-for-47 from the field in his first three games back and blamed himself for San Antonio's 107-102 loss in Dallas on Wednesday, insisting that he was "awful" at both ends.

He chastised himself for flubbing defensive rotations on a Dirk Nowitzki 3-pointer and a Josh Howard drive -- both in crunch time -- and acknowledged that he allowed himself to get too frustrated by a few non-calls on his own work inside … without acknowledging any of the referees by name on a night when Duncan and Joey Crawford were back in American Airlines Center some two years removed from the late-season game when Crawford ejected Duncan as the Spurs star laughed on the bench.

It probably wasn't the best night, adding up all those details, to ask Duncan how he was feeling. He was undoubtedly being unusually hard on himself, in trademark Spurs fashion, after a tough loss to a team they still view as a rival … even if few league observers still have the Mavs in San Antonio's class.

But the comments about his knee have to be filed away, because the prospect of a competitive Western Conference finals probably rests on Duncan's health. And Manu Ginobili's.

Should the Spurs be able to keep the newly signed Drew Gooden (and his dodgy groin) on the floor, along with smash-hit summer signing Roger Mason and the emerging Matt Bonner, they've quietly assembled what appears to be the most offensively potent supporting cast for Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker they've ever had in San Antonio. Add the scorers to the supporting-cast vets who have been well-drilled in the Spurs' ways -- Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas -- and you have the one team out West that can conceivably beat the Lakers in a seven-game series. Even if L.A. gets Andrew Bynum back.

But that's obviously only if the stars that flank Parker are reasonably sturdy in late May. Ginobili had surgery on his left ankle in the offseason and has been out since the Spurs returned from the All-Star break, when increasing pain in the other ankle forced San Antonio's medical staff to put his right foot in a boot for a week. Duncan's struggles were more surprising, even though he's 32 and Ginobili is 31, because Timmy looked so fresh and spry in November, December and January after a summer of boxing training and tossing tractor tires to prepare for his 12th season.

"He's Tim," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, insisting that he's not doing any extra fretting about Duncan's condition.

"There's no 'progress to be made.' It's not like he was out [so] long where he's got to get a rhythm back or anything. … Overall he's doing fine."

hater
03-11-2009, 10:02 AM
he forgot about Hill though

urunobili
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
he forgot about Hill though

link to the article?

Dex
03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
If everybody gets healthy and on the same page, this team is going to be stacked. Having played without Manu for so long, I've almost gotten used to the weapons the Spurs have on the floor as being potent firepower. Then I remember that we've still got the cavalry waiting.

Parker
Ginobili
Mason
Duncan
Thomas
Gooden
Finley
Hill
Bowen
Bonner
Udoka
Oberto

:wow Get this team ready for the playoffs!

hater
03-11-2009, 10:17 AM
link to the article?

its on ESPN on his column

urunobili
03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
its on ESPN on his column

ok found it... it is old... form last saturday's weekend dime... :wakeup

SpuronyourFace
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
We should sit our guys as much as possible, to help them get healthy. Fall down to the lower half of the playoff seeding, and knock the lakers out in a 2nd round matchup. Why wait till the WCF. We were 1 healthy Manu Ginobili from the Finals last year.

1Parker1
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
That's all fine and dandy, but if 2 of your best 3 players are not healthy, Spurs aren't going to win anything.

tmtcsc
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Add the scorers to the supporting-cast vets who have been well-drilled in the Spurs' ways -- Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas -- and you have the one team out West that can conceivably beat the Lakers in a seven-game series. Even if L.A. gets Andrew Bynum back.

Bullshit. I'm thinking that Portland has a chance to beat them before we do. All Portland has to do is win one in Staples. LA can't touch them in Portland. Not even close.

The_Game
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Add the scorers to the supporting-cast vets who have been well-drilled in the Spurs' ways -- Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas -- and you have the one team out West that can conceivably beat the Lakers in a seven-game series. Even if L.A. gets Andrew Bynum back.

Bullshit. I'm thinking that Portland has a chance to beat them before we do. All Portland has to do is win one in Staples. LA can't touch them in Portland. Not even close.

Yeah in the regular season..playoffs are a different game. Portland would get destroyed by L.A in a 7 game series.

With Manu and Gooden healthly the Spurs certainly can beat the Lakers..even without homecourt.

MoSpur
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I have to agree. If the Spurs have a very healthy Tim and Manu, the Spurs can take anyone out.

anonoftheinternets
03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
please tell me why lakers are favs? If we had trotted out this linup for the entire season, we wud be fav easily. Other than kobe, we have the edge at every position. And even there we have Manu which is the best we can do outside of kobe.

Parker > fisher
Ginobili < kobe
Finley / Hill / Mason > vujabitch / farmar
Duncan > gasol
Thomas/Oberto = bynum/mbenga
Bonner/ Gooden = odom/luke walton
Bowen = ariza

Udoka/hariston == shannon ..sun yue ..etc

The_Game
03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
please tell me why lakers are favs? If we had trotted out this linup for the entire season, we wud be fav easily. Other than kobe, we have the edge at every position. And even there we have Manu which is the best we can do outside of kobe.

Parker > fisher
Ginobili < kobe
Finley / Hill / Mason > vujabitch / farmar
Duncan > gasol
Thomas/Oberto = bynum/mbenga
Bonner/ Gooden = odom/luke walton
Bowen = ariza

Udoka/hariston == shannon ..sun yue ..etc

LOL

that might be the worse player comparison i've ever seen thats not who is matched up and one on one player comparisons never tell the full story.

the fact you think oberto/thomas = bynum and benga is laughable....when heathly bynum shits over both those guys.

anonoftheinternets
03-11-2009, 02:11 PM
LOL

that might be the worse player comparison i've ever seen thats not who is matched up and one on one player comparisons never tell the full story.

the fact you think oberto/thomas = bynum and benga is laughable....when heathly bynum shits over both those guys.

whatever you say laker fan.

also i agree with bynum being better (younger, athletic) but LOL healthy mbenga subtracts points :lmao

The_Game
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
whatever you say laker fan.

also i agree with bynum being better (younger, athletic) but LOL healthy mbenga subtracts points :lmao

i only mentioned benga because he was in the comparison..obviously he won't ever be much of a factor.