PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Despite Lakers' Record, Tex Winter Is Concerned

duncan228
03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Edit: MVN piece that addresses this follows the article.

Despite Lakers' record, Tex Winter is concerned (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi10-2009mar10,0,1329149.story)
The Lakers consultant says they haven't played as well as their NBA-best record would indicate -- and they then prove his point by getting blown out in Portland.
By Broderick Turner

Reporting from Portland, Ore. -- Tex Winter paused to gather his thoughts before offering his analysis of how the Lakers are playing.

Winter, the Lakers' basketball consultant, had come to watch them play the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday night, to see for himself in what direction they were headed.

The Lakers came in with the best record in the NBA, 50-12, but Winter still saw troubling signs. And that was before the Trail Blazers routed them, 111-94.

"I feel like our record is a whole lot better than how we've played," Winter, who lives in Portland with his wife, Nancy, said before the game. "I don't think we're playing nearly as good as our record indicates."

The Lakers won their first seven games and 14 of their first 15. They have yet to lose more than two consecutive games.

But they are in the midst of playing 10 of 13 games on the road, including at Houston on Wednesday and San Antonio on Thursday.

In Winter's eyes, the first three months of the season, which had the Lakers playing 29 of their first 46 games at Staples Center, has the potential to hurt the team because the schedule is so back-loaded with road games.

"I'm amazed at the record we've got," Winter said. "I see a lot of warts on this team. I think we got off to a good start. I think our schedule is going to get tougher."

Missing Bynum

Unlike Denver Coach George Karl, who recently suggested the Lakers might be better without injured Andrew Bynum, Portland Coach Nate McMillan said he believes the Lakers improve their chances of winning the NBA championship if the 7-foot, 285-pound center is able to play.

Bynum has been out since suffering a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee on Jan. 31, and McMillan said the Lakers simply can't replace his size.

"With him, I think they've certainly got a shot at winning it all," McMillan said. "Without him, because you lose that physical presence, I think they are still capable. But I think they are certainly better with him."

When the Lakers lost in the NBA Finals last year to Boston, Bynum didn't play because of a left knee injury that required surgery.

McMillan, who's without his own 7-foot center, Greg Oden (left knee), knows the value of having a center like Bynum.

"You're talking about a 7-footer that is a legit center," McMillan said. "It's another weapon, another option. The physical presence is what he brings to that team."

Bynum update, sort of

The original timetable for Bynum's projected return was between late March and late April, but it now appears the "late March" part of it won't be happening.

"For us, we're just allowing this part of his body to heal and come back at an appropriate time," said Lakers Coach Phil Jackson, who has grown tired of fielding so many questions about Bynum.

"I think I said last week, 'Don't ask me again until April,' so the next time you ask me, I'm going to say, 'I'm not going to talk about it until April,' OK? There's nothing going to go on here until April, and then we'll know something and what's going on there."

When Bynum returns, will he come off the bench or, less likely, jump back into the starting lineup?

"We'll talk about that in April," Jackson said.

Times staff writer Mike Bresnahan contributed to this report.

Tex Winter: Lakers Not as Good as Their Record (http://mvn.com/fernstensfollies/2009/03/tex-winter-lakers-not-as-good-as-their-record.html)

Tex Winter paused to gather his thoughts before offering his analysis of how the Lakers are playing. Winter, the Lakers ' basketball consultant, had come to watch them play the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday night, to see for himself in what direction they were headed.

The Lakers came in with the best record in the NBA, 50-12, but Winter still saw troubling signs. And that was before the Trail Blazers routed them, 111-94. "I feel like our record is a whole lot better than how we've played," Winter, who lives in Portland with his wife, Nancy, said before the game. "I don't think we're playing nearly as good as our record indicates."

--LA TIMES

Tex is thinking like a fan. Fans want everything to be perfect. They want to gift wrap the entire regular season and playoffs so that they can later pull it down from the shelf to admire. Look! 66-16! Look! 131-92! Look! A world championship!

But having lived through the 1980s, the NBA season isn't always neat and clean. The Lakers were rampaging their way to the 1988 championship when the wheels came off. They still managed to repeat, but they limped to the finish line.

As a basketball fan, I hear what Tex is saying. Everything is not perfect in La La Land. As a Laker hater though, I have to give them their props. They swept both the Celts and the Cavs this season. This tells me that they can rise to the occasion when they want to.

So let's see how they do in their next two games (at Houston, at San Antonio) before we downgrade the purple too far. San Antonio is a work in progress. Drew Gooden isn't expected to play until next week. So if the Spurs can win without Gooden, all of a sudden that makes the playoffs a little more interesting, especially if the L's meet the Blazers in round 2, as a prelude to meeting the Spurs in the WCFs.

romain.star
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
thanx for the reading d228

DrHouse
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Good article and I agree with Tex. The Lakers still have some serious flaws despite their record.

I feel they will need Andrew Bynum back to even get to the Finals.

You're starting to see the problems the Lakers have without a real interior presence. Gasol is getting worn out with all the minutes and when Lamar does not have a great game the Lakers will flounder on the road. Bynum allows the Lakers to sustain Odom's consistently inconsistent mental farts and moves Pau back to PF where he belongs. It also allows Odom to come off the bench to provide leadership and scoring punch to a 2nd unit that is in desperate need of both right now.

Spursmania
03-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Good read Duncan228. Nothing new really. I think the Lakers are a much better team with Bynum as an interior presence. Even when he comes back though, he will be rusty.

That's why the Spurs need Manu and Gooden to get back so they can shake off the rust before it's too late. And, yes Duncan will have to fight through his tendonosis. Make no mistake, he's not 100% and will not be. Tendonosis is not something that goes away with 2 -3 game of rest, etc... He needs a few months rest which will not happen. Health will be the determining factor for winning the Larry.

benefactor
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
"We'll talk about that in April," Jackson said.
Translation: "It's worse than we are saying."

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Pshaw. Does he even know what decade he's in?

The_Game
03-11-2009, 02:22 PM
you are so bad at player comparisons.

Mark in Austin
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
before Amare was lost for the year a 1st round matchup between PHX and LAL was verrry intriguing to me. Who knows, maybe PHX somehow makes it to the 8 seed anyway.

hater
03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
He should be worried, every pundit keeps saying how deep the lakers are how much talent they have and that they are far and away the most talented team...IMO

DUNCAN=KOBE
PARKER=GASOL
MANU> ODOM
MASON>ARIZA
FINLEY=FISHER
GOODEN CLOSE TO BYNUM
HILL=FARMAR
THOMAS>WALTON
BOWEN=SASHA
IAN?

We are as deep and talented as they are if not more. If Bynum is out we would clearly have an edge. And if Ian does play and can spell KT and TD even for 5 solid mpg that gives us one more bullet not to mention a badly needed shot blocker.

you sound like a Suns fan

HarlemHeat37
03-11-2009, 03:17 PM
As I've said many times, the key to the Lakers is Bynum..Kobe is obviously their leader, and Pau is their other big-time player, but Bynum is the guy that causes a mismatch against most teams, and he gives them the ability to put 2 7-footers in the lane..

If they don't have Bynum, I've said it before and I still believe it, we'll beat them in a series..but if they have him, it's going to be tough as hell, and it would take everything going right for us to beat them..that's obviously assuming that Bynum can be an impact player..he obviously won't be as good as he was before he got hurt, but if he can give them a defensive impact, then other teams will be in trouble..

NFGIII
03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Good article and I agree with Tex. The Lakers still have some serious flaws despite their record.

You're starting to see the problems the Lakers have without a real interior presence. Gasol is getting worn out with all the minutes and when Lamar does not have a great game the Lakers will flounder on the road. Bynum allows the Lakers to sustain Odom's consistently inconsistent mental farts and moves Pau back to PF where he belongs. It also allows Odom to come off the bench to provide leadership and scoring punch to a 2nd unit that is in desperate need of both right now.

This reminds me of 2003 when Horry had to play all those minutes and was almost completely worn out come playoff time. He had little lift on his legs which reflected in his J. I'll always remember him just missing that 3 at the end of game 5 in SA. If he hadn't had to fill in for injured players so muchIIRC, he most likely wouldn't have been as tired and his chances of hitting it were that much greater. Maybe if he makes it then the outcome most likely changes. I think this is a legitimate concern for Pau. He doesn't really have the weight to take the pounding at C. If Bynum doesn't come back then this might come back to bite the Lakers, though they still are one of the elite teams without him.

As for Odom - he really is inconsistent. When he's good you guys smoke people but his inconsistency does hurt you. I guress you never know which Odom shows up to play. That must be tough wondering which Odom will show up come tipoff.

Ocotillo
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Eh, don't take too much solace in that. Close your eyes for a moment and you can imagine Pop saying similar things. Give them their props until you beat them in the play offs. For now, they are the reigning Western Conference champs until someone knocks them off.

slayermin
03-11-2009, 04:03 PM

One year removed from a torn knee cap and recovering from a torn MCL, Lakers should shut him down. As a Spurs fan, I hope he plays. Lamar Odom is the one that usually kills us. I'm all for a 60% to 70% Bynum taking minutes away from Odom.

cool hand
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM

translation:

fakers get a lot of bullshit calls, hence the record.

Morg1411
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
translation:

fakers get a lot of bullshit calls, hence the record.

Well, yes...but sadly, that's not the only reason they're kicking the crap out of everyone. The Lakers have the record they do thanks to consistently good play and an excellent bench. (Yes, their early season schedule was a bit soft, but they're paying for it now with all of these road games.) Don't get me wrong, I want to see them fall flat on their faces in the post-season, but there is little doubt about it: this is the team everyone else has to be ready to beat if they want to see the Finals. And they won't be easy to beat, not for the Spurs, not for anyone.

That being said, I very much like how the Spurs bench has developed over the past couple of months, and I know we can continue improving our game through the post-season and kick some tail in the playoffs.

exstatic
03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Tex Winter is one of the great basketball minds in history. He invented the fucking Triangle offense that Phil's Bulls and Lakers both used. I'd put him right up there with Wooden, Dean Smith, LB, Pete Newell, and the Ibas.

If he says they have warts and holes, they do.

slayermin
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Tex Winter is one of the great basketball minds in history. He invented the fucking Triangle offense that Phil's Bulls and Lakers both used. I'd put him right up there with Wooden, Dean Smith, LB, Pete Newell, and the Ibas.

If he says they have warts and holes, they do.

No love for Hank Egan? Blasphemy! :lol

xtremesteven33
03-11-2009, 04:42 PM
FTL.

The key isnt so much the Offense for the Spurs to beat the Lakers. Its the Defense. Its been our bread and butter for 10+ years and we shouldnt forsake that as our #1 priority.

I think Pop has very good strategic defensive schemes against the triangle offense. Pack it in and rotate defensively. You have to have smart defensive players to battle the triangle and we have those players. Last year we did a great job defensivley on them in the playoffs but always came up a tad short offensively. We have more than enough offense to beat LA.

We just need that Damn Tough Spurs Defense again.

Morg1411
03-11-2009, 04:43 PM
FTL.

The key isnt so much the Offense for the Spurs to beat the Lakers. Its the Defense. Its been our bread and butter for 10+ years and we shouldnt forsake that as our #1 priority.

I think Pop has very good strategic defensive schemes against the triangle offense. Pack it in and rotate defensively. You have to have smart defensive players to battle the triangle and we have those players. Last year we did a great job defensivley on them in the playoffs but always came up a tad short offensively. We have more than enough offense to beat LA.

We just need that Damn Tough Spurs Defense again.
:toast

Whisky Dog
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Of course the Lakers are flawed, but so is every other team in the league. That is a valid point about the back end of the schedule being so heavily road game loaded, and that will probably be a good indicator of how strong they will be going into the playoffs.

Capt Bringdown
03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Tex was simply talking as a coach. Lakers still have the best shot at a title this year. They'll have home court, Kobe and PJ. The Celtics have slipped a notch, that should be enough for the Lakers, Bynum or not.

Biggems
03-11-2009, 09:13 PM

I dont have very much respect for Jackson...as I have always found him to be a pompous front runner. However, I have complete and total respect for Winters. I have to agree with what he has said. IMO, one of the reasons the Lakers are struggling is the Rad trade. He was a quality reserve, especially against the Spurs. I swear, he never misses against us.

The Lakers have won several games this year they could have easily lost. In some of those games, the opponent found ways to lose the game more than the Lakers found ways to win. Take for instance the Charlotte game in LA. Yes Charlotte won the game, but they had every opportunity to win it in regulation. However, when you miss like 8 FTs in the final minute, it is no wonder the game goes into OT.

Still better to struggle and win game after game, than play great but lose.