PDA

View Full Version : TP and Manu interview

lefty
03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Sorry if already posted :D

http://www.americanwaymag.com/portals/0/issueimages/medium/19699-1.jpg

http://www.americanwaymag.com/portals/0/issueimages/medium/aw20090215-fc.jpg

http://www.americanwaymag.com/manu-ginobili-san-antonio-spurs-tony-parker-nba

Also, video othe photoshoot: http://www.americanwaymag.com/nba-tony-parker-manu-ginobili-san-antonio-spurs

Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs take a time-out to discuss the globalization of the NBA and the breakdown of cultural barriers.

When the San Antonio Spurs tabbed Manu Ginobili with the 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft, few even knew who he was, much less where he was from. Today, the Argentine, who left his pro league in Italy to join the Spurs in 2002, is regarded as one of the greatest draft steals in history and a catalyst for the NBA’s emerging population of star foreigners. ¶ Ginobili, along with French guard Tony Parker and U.S. Virgin Islands native Tim Duncan, make up the “big three” for a Spurs franchise that has tapped into talent pipelines worldwide over the past decade while en route to four league crowns. They took time between road games to chat with us.

Does the Spurs’ locker room sometimes feel like a global cross section, where cultural barriers are eliminated?
Manu Ginobili: Yes, especially with this franchise. I remember that a few years ago, Rasho [Nesterovic] and I, we spoke Italian. There was Russian, Serbian, Tony speaking French -- we had a lot of languages going on, and it was funny at the beginning.

But there are still some teams that are a little reluctant to hire somebody who’s foreign. Some teams that don’t have many, but I guess there’s at least one [international player] on every team. But to get to 20 percent is something.

Would you like to see the NBA continue to spread into foreign venues as much as possible to scout, including in your native country?
Tony Parker: I think it would be great for the image of the NBA and all the young people who want to see the foreign guys.

Why have the Spurs succeeded so well in incorporating foreign players?
Parker: It’s a very family-oriented atmosphere in the locker room and with the way they run stuff. I think the fact that it was a good team led them to take a chance on the European guys -- because they had the late, late picks in the first round -- and that’s how they got me [in 2001] and Manu.

They couldn’t take the best Americans because they’d go to the worst teams. So they took risks with us, and it paid off.

Has the growth in the number of foreign players season after season been noticeable?
Ginobili: I think the biggest change was, like, my third year, when other teams started really looking into it and taking big risks, even with the top five taken in the draft. That hadn’t been seen before.

Has the acceptance of foreign players changed anything as far as the way the league is advertised or the opportunities available for foreign players in advertisements?
Parker: Not really. Most of the stuff I do is in France. Yao [Ming] has stuff with Apple, and besides that, Steve Nash and I did something with Nike. But the big spots are still going to be done by all the big players, because of who they are as players and not where they’re from.

Is it a shock after having come in as one of the few foreigners to now be playing against and with friends and national teammates?
Ginobili: True, it is. But now it’s getting more common. The biggest shock was my third year, when I started seeing them coming in. Now I’m kind of used to it. It’s nice.

Tony Parker (left) wears a Prada gray wool suit, $2,245; cotton shirt, $420; and silk hearts-print tie, $195. Manu Ginobili wears an Etro wool plaid jacket, $1,350; lavender cotton shirt, $300; and silk tie, $150; as well as Incotex gray wool pants, $575. All are available at Barneys New York :wow:wow

carina_gino20
03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks lefty. :)

They couldn’t take the best Americans because they’d go to the worst teams.

Sometimes, Tony is too honest. :lol

lefty
03-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks lefty. :)

Sometimes, Tony is too honest. :lol

TP is always funny during interviews because he is so straightforward

KenMcCoy
03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
You can tell how much they hate eachother if you watch the video...they didn't even speak or look at eachother in the entire thing!!!:stirpot:

spursfan09
03-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Cool interview and awesome picture too!

carina_gino20
03-12-2009, 09:02 AM
You can tell how much they hate eachother if you watch the video...they didn't even speak or look at eachother in the entire thing!!!:stirpot:

And they always put Manu behind! :ihit

lefty
03-12-2009, 09:16 AM

Don't start it :lol

hater
03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
nice picture

hater
03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

just because they might not be best friends does not mean they hate each other dumbass

DAF86
03-12-2009, 09:38 AM
just because they might not be best friends does not mean they hate each other dumbass

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/COCHIfz/MJZ16342.gif

urunobili
03-12-2009, 10:00 AM
awesome find...

lefty
03-12-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm sure he was kidding :p:

urunobili
03-12-2009, 10:01 AM
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/COCHIfz/MJZ16342.gif

Daf... you're signature is about to cause me some trouble at work... i love it too.. but is there any chance in the world we can get something else a little more dressed so i don't have to ignore you? :depressed

DAF86
03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Daf... you're signature is about to cause me some trouble at work... i love it too.. but is there any chance in the world we can get something else a little more dressed so i don't have to ignore you? :depressed

Noelia is out, but she'll be back.

urunobili
03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Noelia is out, but she'll be back.

:tu appreciate it... i didn't want to have to ignore you because of that beauty but i had to if necessary... thanks :tu

hater
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm sure he was kidding :p:

kidding or not you know how these things get started.

urunobili
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
kidding or not you know how these things get started.

look at hater... a full fledged mod... who would have thought... :lmao

DAF86
03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
look at hater... a full fledged mod... who would have thought... :lmao

Exactly my thought, hey "hater" aren't you the guy that used to have a Skeletor avatar?

urunobili
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Exactly my thought, hey "hater" aren't you the guy that used to have a Skeletor avatar?

same guy... and he is 100% (Argento) Argie flesh... :devil

hater
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
yeah so?

oh and I'm not 100% argie. haha why would you think that?

ego
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
And they always put Manu behind! :ihit

No ! look at the last picture

DAF86
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
yeah so?

You've changed man. I used to picture you in the 15/25 age range, now I imagine you around 35/60 and not because of Pop's avatar but because of your comments.

hater
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
You've changed man. I used to picture you in the 15/25 age range, now I imagine you around 35/60 and not because of Pop's avatar but because of your comments.

u got it. sometimes I feel 15 and sometimes 60

1Parker1
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow awesome video! Thanks for posting!

sonic21
03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
nice vid, thanks for posting

urunobili
03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
yeah so?

oh and I'm not 100% argie. haha why would you think that?

I should have bookmarked the thread against ArgSpursFan where you cussed him in a refined Argie Spanish... damn i am too lazy to search for that... it was last year that i remember...

hater
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I should have bookmarked the thread against ArgSpursFan where you cussed him in a refined Argie Spanish... damn i am too lazy to search for that... it was last year that i remember...

well that dude had it coming and I can speak many types of spanish. Me entendes pibe?

urunobili
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
well that dude had it coming and I can speak many types of spanish. Me entendes pibe?

esta clarisimo papo... :tu but there in your reply you talked about how much of a disgrace he was for the Argentinians and how because of him ALL argies were tagged incorrectly... from there the conclusion is..

hater IS argie :worthy:

hater
03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
esta clarisimo papo... :tu but there in your reply you talked about how much of a disgrace he was for the Argentinians and how because of him ALL argies were tagged incorrectly... from there the conclusion is..

hater IS argie :worthy:

well that guy is a disgrace to all Argentines. doesn't take an Argentine to see that. dude was racist calling black ppl monkeys I beleive.

anyway that is in the past, hopefully that guy is gone for good

abelle23
03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
the boys looked great :toast

i thought manu was laughing with tony on one part of the vid.

urunobili
03-12-2009, 02:39 PM
well that guy is a disgrace to all Argentines. doesn't take an Argentine to see that. dude was racist calling black ppl monkeys I beleive.

anyway that is in the past, hopefully that guy is gone for good

still... if you're not Argie then... Uruguayan maybe? :wow:wow

lefty
03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
the boys looked great :toast

i thought manu was laughing with tony on one part of the vid.

He did