PDA

View Full Version : News on Ian Mahinmi

NRHector
03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Ok this is the thing, I work in a place that I get to see celebrities, today I talked to a co-worker that knows Ian and according to him and another Spurs player, she stated that he might start playing in a couple of games I don't know how many is a couple of games but if this is true he could be ready for the playoffs. :flag:

Spursfan092120
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Ok this is the thing, I work in a place that I get to see celebrities, today I talked to a co-worker that knows Ian and according to him and another Spurs player, she stated that he might start playing in a couple of games I don't know how many is a couple of games but if this is true he could be ready for the playoffs. :flag:
Ooh...don't me excited...Ian, Gooden, KT, Timmy...but I wonder if Pop will let him play in the playoffs after sitting on the bench all year hurt.

Destro
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I work in a place that I get to see celebrities...in SA... you mean Patsy Tores? LOL. Mahinmi won't make the playoff roster

rayray2k8
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
What the hell for?
I'd rather see Thomas and Oberto play at this time.
With Gooden here now, there wouldn't be a need for Ian.
Veteran>Rookie, simple as that.

Ditty
03-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Ooh...don't me excited...Ian, Gooden, KT, Timmy...but I wonder if Pop will let him play in the playoffs after sitting on the bench all year hurt.

im pretty sure ian knows the system its just the matter of fact of him getting in game expirence it would be nice to get him after next week when our scehdule gets a little lighter

yavozerb

What exactly do you expect him to do in the playoffs? The guy should consider it a good season at this point if he gets to practice with the team...:sleep

dougp
I heard from a friend that's friends with a friend of Manu's that he could be playing a couple games soon also!

NRHector
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I work in a place that I get to see celebrities...in SA... you mean Patsy Tores? LOL. Mahinmi won't make the playoff rosterno, more like eva longoria, tommy lee jones, manu, bruce, oscar de la hoya, david robinson

NRHector
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
What exactly do you expect him to do in the playoffs? The guy should consider it a good season at this point if he gets to practice with the team...:sleep
well, he is already shooting around

timvp
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
He'd be playing with the Toros. Hopefully it's true and he can get something positive out of this season. A D-League championship could ease the pain of his injury-ridden year.

NRHector
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I work in a place that I get to see celebrities...in SA... you mean Patsy Tores? LOL. Mahinmi won't make the playoff rosteryes, he is

in2deep
03-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't see why not Pop could insert him in garbage time in a week or 2. See what he got. If he impresses, give him more playing time at end of season and go from there

NRHector
03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I heard from a friend that's friends with a friend of Manu's that he could be playing a couple games soon also!I did not say a friend, I said co-worker.

yavozerb
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I have always thought he was gonna play. I would love to see him, no one can honestly say this guy cant run with the second team and spell Tim for 5mpg or so. He run as well as Gasol if not better, all he needs to do is rebound and provide a leaper inside to slow guys going to the basket.

He knows the system, and should only need a couple games to get his legs. Ian and Gooden are better options against the Lakers than Oberto and Bonner. As long as hes in no danger of further injury getting playoff experiance would be a great thing for us next year when he will likely be a starter.

How can you honestly say he will likely be a starter? This guy has done absolutly nothing in the NBA. I guess everyone is basing his talent level from his Austin Toro days cause that is really the only team he did start on that I am aware of..If he can manage 10-15 minutes next year I think the spurs would be very happy.

benefactor
03-12-2009, 04:12 PM
He'd be playing with the Toros. Hopefully it's true and he can get something positive out of this season. A D-League championship could ease the pain of his injury-ridden year.
Agreed.

There is really no reason for him to play with the Spurs anyway. Gooden will need all the minutes he can get from the time he joins the lineup to the playoffs to get acquainted with the system and his fellow players. This is far more important than back patting minutes for Ian late in the season.

porscha
03-12-2009, 04:22 PM
MahiWho?

:sleep

MoSpur
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I can see this happening.

AussieFanKurt
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
If Ian is healthy and knows the system after playing with the Austin D-League team, why not let him play in some early games for experience?

tomtom
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Ian "THE SAVIOR" is back ! WOOHOO

Chomag
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Our old guys need some rest. So sure why not?

Destro
03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Guys, the D-league sucks and doesn't mean anything in regards to the NBA, if you have been to a game you will know that the "Toros running the spurs system" doesn't matter. You rarely see an actual play that gets run well and 3/4 of the players don't play ANY D. D-league experience doesn't mean anything. There is some talent there but most of the players have very low BB IQs and play an immature game. D-league success doesn't automatically transfer to NBA success.

VI_Massive
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Its great to hear he's getting healthy, but this is all about next year.

objective
03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
presuming Mahinmi is inactive for the playoffs, extremely likely with the Gooden signing . . .

Where does his career even go from here?

After this season he'll no longer be able to be sent down to the d-league, so he won't be getting any minutes to help his development.

Smart money would be on the Spurs either re-signing Gooden or getting a big man free agent this summer that can step right in like Rasheed Wallace. Bonner will still be under contract, so will Kurt Thomas. Maybe Oberto is traded or straight up cut to save on the partially guaranteed salary.

So going into next year he'll be behind at least 3 guys (Bonner, KT and Gooden/Rasheed/FA) and of course Duncan getting major minutes . . . and no d-league time to improve his game. He'll be stuck on the bench, doing nothing. Making the active roster would be a triumph.

Does he even last past next year?

VI_Massive
03-12-2009, 05:00 PM
presuming Mahinmi is inactive for the playoffs, extremely likely with the Gooden signing . . .

Where does his career even go from here?

After this season he'll no longer be able to be sent down to the d-league, so he won't be getting any minutes to help his development.

Smart money would be on the Spurs either re-signing Gooden or getting a big man free agent this summer that can step right in like Rasheed Wallace. Bonner will still be under contract, so will Kurt Thomas. Maybe Oberto is traded or straight up cut to save on the partially guaranteed salary.

So going into next year he'll be behind at least 3 guys (Bonner, KT and Gooden/Rasheed/FA) and of course Duncan getting major minutes . . . and no d-league time to improve his game. He'll be stuck on the bench, doing nothing. Making the active roster would be a triumph.

Does he even last past next year?

I don't know about that free agent signing. If Mahinmi is healthy, with the salary cap and MLE dropping next season, I could see us bring to camp a big man roster composed of some combination of TD-KT-Bonner-Mahinmi-Pops-Gist after letting Gooden go. I know everyone in the league will be strapped for cash, but if the Spurs are spending any money, I expect it will be on a swingman, not on another big.

objective
03-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't even think the Spurs have to spend big money from the MLE to get someone like Rasheed given the market.

An LLE type deal of 2 million per might be enough to get it done.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Ian Mahinmi has played less than one half of one game of NBA basketball in his life. Despite that, some Spurs fans actually believe that Gregg Popovich would be willing to put Mahinmi on the court in an NBA playoff game.

:lol

no, wait

:lmao

Spursfan092120
03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Ian Mahinmi has played less than one half of one game of NBA basketball in his life. Despite that, some Spurs fans actually believe that Gregg Popovich would be willing to put Mahinmi on the court in an NBA playoff game.

no, wait

Exactly..while it will be good for him to be healthy, there's no way he'll step on the court in the playoffs.

benefactor
03-12-2009, 05:04 PM

no, wait

Don't forget that they also believe that Pops is a future Hall of Famer and we are doomed for waiving him.

200 miles
03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Damn that elusive bone chip!

completely deck
03-12-2009, 05:16 PM

no, wait

:tu:pop::tu

200 miles
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
So nobody thinks that Ian will/should be in the playoff rotation even if he performs well after seeing tonight's game?

benefactor
03-12-2009, 10:20 PM
So nobody thinks that Ian will/should be in the playoff rotation even if he performs well after seeing tonight's game?
No. And it has nothing to do with tonight's game.

200 miles
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
No. And it has nothing to do with tonight's game.

Really? Please explain because what I saw tonight was the Spurs getting seriously outrebounded and allowed the Lakers almost a dozen 2nd chance points. Explain how Ian would not remedy this by the time they play the Lakers in the playoffs. If they play them, of course.

benefactor
03-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Really? Please explain because what I saw tonight was the Spurs getting seriously outrebounded and allowed the Lakers almost a dozen 2nd chance points. Explain how Ian would not remedy this by the time they play the Lakers in the playoffs. If they play them, of course.

no, wait

VI_Massive
03-12-2009, 10:37 PM

because you can't just throw a rookie-level player who is coming off an injury into a playoff situation. and even if mahinmi were healthy tomorrow, all the spare big man minutes will be going towards working gooden into the rotation. you can't just plug a guy in like that. especially a totally green just injured rookie. especially in the spurs' system with our veteran players.

200 miles
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
It still does not take away the potential benefits that Ian can bring to the table. You cannot hold his bad luck injuries in the past against him. When he finally plays and plays gradually better, especially against playoff-bound teams, would you think he will not be able to help the Spurs?

Spur-Addict
03-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Ian probably can't play Wii bowling right now let alone an NBA game.

200 miles
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Ian probably can't play Wii bowling right now let alone an NBA game.

If Ian cannot play Wii bowling, then Timmy cannot play Guitar Hero.

:rolleyes

Spur-Addict
03-12-2009, 11:17 PM
If Ian cannot play Wii bowling, then Timmy cannot play Guitar Hero.

That's fine, he has Rock Band.

my2sons
03-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I work in a place that I get to see celebrities...in SA... you mean Patsy Tores? LOL. Mahinmi won't make the playoff roster

Why are they gonna cut him. He's already part of the 15 man roster and any of them are available up to 12 per game, so he could conceivably be allowed to play. He would only be off the roster if cut...please expain why the spurs would cut him now?

200 miles
03-12-2009, 11:19 PM
That's fine, he has Rock Band.

:lol:lol

200 miles
03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Why are they gonna cut him. He's already part of the 15 man roster and any of them are available up to 12 per game, so he could conceivably be allowed to play. He would only be off the roster if cut...please expain why the spurs would cut him now?

I have no idea why but they would be utterly foolish if they cut him now.

Russ
03-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Maybe not an oracle of truth but . . .

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=667837

ceperez
03-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Maybe not an oracle of truth but . . .

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=667837

Work ethic questioned? Definitely disappointing.

My only positive indicator is that he's always sitting behind the bench with the team. If he can spell relief for Duncan prior to the playoffs, then that would be the best contribution he can make.

yavozerb
03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
I think its hard to call Ian a bust since he is so young, but, the guy has never really accomplished anything in his career and I think expectations of this guy were way to high..I think you give him 1 more year and then make a call as to put any more time and $ into this guy. Also, with Gooden on board, the need for Ian is not as big as before. Tiago is the guy who the spurs need to target and get him over here.

Extra Stout
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I remember several years ago when silly young kids would insist that some untested, inexperienced marginal player the Spurs were developing for the future was actually a 20/10 guy who needed to play 40 minutes right now, and I would try to disabuse them of such silliness.

Once upon a time, I was one of those kids. I remember back in 1996 when I indulged in the wishful thinking that Charles Smith was just going to be teh awesome... if... only... he... ever... could... get... healthy. I remember believing that Corey Alexander was a future All-Star, that Derrick Dial would be a starter someday, that Robertas Javtokas was the Lithuanian Charles Oakley...

I think it is part of the message board environment, which deals so much in hypothetical speculation, to have kids who take the absolute best-case upside of a player once he hits his peak in five years, and insist that is what he's going to do when stuck out there on the floor tonight, and go apopletic when others say, uh, no, not really, sport.

LockBeard
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Ian Mahmahmahankle is a complete non-factor this season, just like in past seasons.

Dude is a nobody who has been injured forever, and there are still people holding out hope he will be a starter this year, or even crack the big man rotation this year!? :lmao

venitian navigator
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
This season he still have to play one single minute...and not by his fault.
Anckles don't swell by themselves...or because of a lack of effort...in case they swell for the opposite reason.
I think it's kind of frustrating, for a player, to lose an entire season because of a late diagnosis...and that's what happened for Mahinmi.
I don't know he he will be any good for spurs, but I know there were high expectations from the coaching staff about him...he's long, can run, can jump, defend, rebound and block shots on nbdl.
We'll see if that transalte into something in the high level...however, he know the system for his two years with the Toros and Spurs.
Just give the guy some time...and some chance!

For absurd, one thing is for sure : the series where Mahinmi skills cuouls be the more useful, shouls be agaist our worst enemy : he should be a better match - up against the Lakers than Matt Bonner.

IMHO in that series, of the six spurs players that play the 4-5 role, the only useful ones are the athletic ones...that puts out Bonner, but also, probably, Oberto...and in Mahinmi.

Here the ten players I see the best agaist L.A. :

Parker - Mason - Finley - Gooden - Duncan
Hill - Ginobili - Bowen -Thomas - Mahinmi

200 miles
03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
This season he still have to play one single minute...and not by his fault.
Anckles don't swell by themselves...or because of a lack of effort...in case they swell for the opposite reason.
I think it's kind of frustrating, for a player, to lose an entire season because of a late diagnosis...and that's what happened for Mahinmi.
I don't know he he will be any good for spurs, but I know there were high expectations from the coaching staff about him...he's long, can run, can jump, defend, rebound and block shots on nbdl.
We'll see if that transalte into something in the high level...however, he know the system for his two years with the Toros and Spurs.
Just give the guy some time...and some chance!

For absurd, one thing is for sure : the series where Mahinmi skills cuouls be the more useful, shouls be agaist our worst enemy : he should be a better match - up against the Lakers than Matt Bonner.

IMHO in that series, of the six spurs players that play the 4-5 role, the only useful ones are the athletic ones...that puts out Bonner, but also, probably, Oberto...and in Mahinmi.

Here the ten players I see the best agaist L.A. :

Parker - Mason - Finley - Gooden - Duncan
Hill - Ginobili - Bowen -Thomas - Mahinmi

:toast