PDA

View Full Version : Tuition Inceases EVERYWHERE.

MannyIsGod
03-12-2005, 01:29 AM
First, UTSA.

UTSA students to pay more for class

Web Posted: 03/11/2005 12:00 AM CST

Karen Adler
Express-News Staff Writer

AUSTIN — Students at the University of Texas at San Antonio will be paying more this fall, but the 5 percent increase in tuition and fees won't come close to meeting the needs — or wants — of the state's fastest-growing university.

The UT Board of Regents unanimously approved tuition increases at UTSA and several other component schools at a special meeting Thursday. Regents also approved a flat-rate tuition plan at UT-Austin, making it the first university in the state to implement the measure intended to give students a financial incentive to graduate sooner.

Under the fee structure approved by the regents, UTSA also would have the option to implement a flat-rate fee structure, but the university's tuition and fees committee has not approved the measure yet.

In 2004, UTSA students approved a fee increase to fund expansions of athletic and recreational programs, but now the student life initiatives will have to be put on hold, said Damon Garcia, student government president.

After the double-digit increases that followed tuition deregulation last year, UT Regents Chairman James Huffines requested schools propose more modest tuition increases of no more than 5 percent this year.

For UTSA, which is growing by 1,500 students a year and has the highest student-faculty ratio in the system, revenue from the limited tuition increase must be used to hire more professors and pay for more classroom space.

As UTSA continues to evolve from a commuter school to a more traditional university, "students of UTSA want more out of their college experience," Garcia said.

And as state funding continues to diminish, Garcia added, "the 5 percent cap is not sufficient."

A full-time UTSA student taking 12 credit hours will pay $111 more a semester, or a total of $2,351. A student taking 15 hours will pay $2,772 a semester.

The increase will generate about $4.7 million in additional revenue for the university.

"It's still a bargain — one of the best bargains in the state," UTSA President Ricardo Romo said.

Under UT-Austin's flat rate tuition plan, students would pay the same whether they took 12 credit hours or 18 credit hours. However, the rate would be based on a 14-hour credit load.

That means students taking less than 14 hours will see a tuition increase, but those taking more than 14 credit hours actually will see a tuition decrease, UT System Chancellor Mark Yudof said.

"That is a good deal," he said. "The 13th bagel is on us if you will take more credits."

The hope is students will take more credit hours per semester and graduate sooner, UT officials said. Less than a quarter of the state's public college students graduate in four years.

UT tuition rates will differ depending on a student's major, but undergraduate tuition generally will range from $3,486 to $4,437 a semester.

Texas A&M regents will consider flat-rate tuition later this month, though it will be based on a full-time schedule of 15 credit hours.

The tuition increases come in the middle of the legislative session, when lawmakers have yet to decide how much money will be given to higher education institutions. But the regents can't wait until the end of the session because tuition increases have to be approved before students start registering for fall classes.

----------------------------------------------------------

If they are going to encourage students to graduate in 4 years, they better increase loan limits to make it possible to not work and focus on school. You can't work and take 18 hours at the same time and expect to actually passes classes at UT Austin.

Not only that, but just take into consideration that the loan limit for a Freshman that meets the requirements is capped at $6,625 for the entire year. That will cover tuition at UTSA, but barely. You will need other sources of income to cover your other expenses. At UT, that will not even cover a full years worth of tuition, much less living expenses.

Also, most students DON'T meet all of those requirements, so their limit is less.

I'm not asking for handouts here, these are loans we are talking about. Why isn't the Federal government at least keeping pace with the rising rates of tuition?

Do you see why a 10 percent incease over years for a Pell Grant also means jack shit when tuition rates are rising so quickly each year?

MannyIsGod
03-12-2005, 01:32 AM
ACCD students will also get in on the fun...

Price of an ACCD education may go up

Web Posted: 03/11/2005 12:00 AM CST

Karen Adler
Express-News Staff Writer

Faced with dwindling state funding and growing student enrollment, the Alamo Community College District will consider a 5 percent tuition increase at its board meeting next week.

Raising tuition isn't the most desirable option, but "we don't see any other way," ACCD Chancellor Terence Kelly said.

ACCD trustees will vote Tuesday on whether to raise tuition for in-district students from $38 per credit hour to $40 per credit hour. Coupled with a 5 percent proposed increase for most student fees, it would generate about $2.9 million in additional revenue to balance diminishing state funding and pay for more faculty, ACCD officials said.

Tuition and fees account for about 37 percent of ACCD's current $192 million budget. About 30 percent of funding comes from the state, and another 29 percent comes from local property taxes.

If approved, the tuition increase would take effect in the fall.

Several students at Northwest Vista, one of ACCD's four colleges, said they weren't thrilled about the possibility of a tuition increase. But ACCD is significantly cheaper than attending a four-year college or university, said Jessie McLain, an 18-year-old interior design major.

"I wouldn't mind paying more if they put it to good use," she said.

Many of ACCD's younger students benefit from financial aid and won't feel the brunt of the increase, said Lisa Alvizo, a 37-year-old mother of two. She pays about $800 a semester for 18 credit hours and fees.

"Older students like me are affected most because we pay our own tuition," she said.

Community colleges enroll almost half of the state's 1.2 million higher education students and will have to add 300,000 more over the next decade to meet enrollment targets set by the state's "Closing the Gaps" higher education plan, said Reynaldo García, executive director of the Texas Association of Community Colleges in Austin.

Yet, the state's share of community college funding has been shrinking in recent years. In the last legislative session, funding was cut by 5 percent, forcing many districts to raise tuition and tax rates.

ACCD hasn't raised its tax rate of 10.7 cents since 2002, but tuition — along with enrollment — has risen steadily. Last year, faculty and staff didn't get a pay raise.

"Our instructional costs are now being funded in large part by local fees and revenues in order to make up for what the state's not doing," García said.

Legislators are committed to funding the state's 50 community college districts this session but must balance their needs with other publicly funded agencies, said Rep. Lois Kolkhorst, R-Brenham, a member of the House Appropriations Committee.

The Legislature is also in the thick of overhauling its mechanism for funding public schools, and public four-year universities are pushing for more money.

Still, Kolkhorst said: "Many, many if not all members believe community colleges are a great investment for our future."

Since the late 1960s, the funding plan for community colleges has called on the state to shoulder instructional costs and for local districts to pay for building and operational costs. For the 2004-2005 biennium, the state appropriated $1.5 billion for community colleges, or about 52 percent of instructional costs.

Current funding is based on 2-year-old enrollment data, which puts even more of a burden on fast-growing districts.

The proposal from the House Appropriations Committee gives an additional $39 million to community college districts, which will cover growth but keep instructional funding at just over 50 percent, said Steven Johnson, with the Texas Association of Community Colleges.

The Senate Finance Committee's plan bumps up instructional funding to about 55 percent but would decrease the amount the state contributes for health insurance benefits of faculty and staff.

Before the Legislature votes, both the House and Senate funding proposals must go through the conference committee process to resolve differences.

NameDropper
03-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Colleges are not exempt from the rising costs of doing business.

Jekka
03-12-2005, 01:42 PM

You know, I can understand raising the cost of a school like UTSA to bring in more professors, or give the current ones a raise, or to bring in more technology - but their goal right now is to do things like build rock walls in the Rec Center. They are doing nothing with this money most likely other than trying to bring in a football team (which every commuter school needs, duh) and beefing up their other sports programs because, as Romo has said, we apparently need to be a tier 1 school. That's bullshit. You can make a better school without bringing in that kind of sports program. The attraction of UTSA is that it is as much of a bargain as it is, because, let's face it, the degree you get from there isn't worth much more than the tuition. When they establish themselves as exceptional educators (which their business school sure as hell isn't doing), then maybe the degree will be worth more and people will want to pay more to get it.

MannyIsGod
03-12-2005, 01:53 PM

Actually, untill recently they were. Why? Because a public college is funded in large part by state dollars. However, because the state is going broke and Texas refuses to add an income tax, they deregulated tuition 3 years ago.

The result? Record increased in tuition.

And if you'd read what I posted, you'd also note that financial aid isn't keeping up. Not even the loans are. It's ridiculous to expect your workforce to remain competetive in a global marketplace where other countries are educating their citizens when you refuse to do the same.

exstatic
03-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a friend who has both a Bachelors degree and a Masters from UTSA. He refers to it as Generic State University. I have to agree with Jekka. They need to have a good scholastic reputation before they worry about that other shit.

NameDropper
03-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I have a friend who has both a Bachelors degree and a Masters from UTSA. He refers to it as Generic State University. I have to agree with Jekka. They need to have a good scholastic reputation before they worry about that other shit.

So the rumor that I've heard is true?

So then if a degree from UTSA sucks so badly...why the hell is enrollment so high?

Is it because it is the cheapest available college degree in SA?

Are Trinity, OLOTL, St. Mary's, UIC and others too high priced?

exstatic
03-12-2005, 03:16 PM

It's the only public, 4 year university in SA, isn't it?

Jekka
03-12-2005, 04:37 PM

So then if a degree from UTSA sucks so badly...why the hell is enrollment so high?

It's the only public university in SA, and yes, all the other colleges you mentioned DO cost too much. I'd love to go somewhere else, but I can't do more than $30,000/yr for school- not to mention, it's not exactly like those schools can enroll more than a few thousand students.

And any degree is better than none.

MannyIsGod
03-12-2005, 04:53 PM

Actually, OLOTL and UIW (I don't know wtf UIC is) are probably about the smae price, but much smaller and don't offer nearly the amount of programs that UTSA does.

Another thing, UTSA is a public school, not a private school. Perhaps learning the difference would be a good idea so that you don't continue trying to compare apples to oranges.

scott
03-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Actually, untill recently they were. Why? Because a public college is funded in large part by state dollars. However, because the state is going broke and Texas refuses to add an income tax, they deregulated tuition 3 years ago.

The result? Record increased in tuition.

And if you'd read what I posted, you'd also note that financial aid isn't keeping up. Not even the loans are. It's ridiculous to expect your workforce to remain competetive in a global marketplace where other countries are educating their citizens when you refuse to do the same.

State funding doesn't make a University exempt from the rising costs of doing business - it just passes those costs on to taxpayers.

So your solution is add an income tax so we can continue to regulate tuition?

I'll pass.

As for the loans, the federal government isn't the only source of student loans.

MannyIsGod
03-12-2005, 11:35 PM
State funding doesn't make a University exempt from the rising costs of doing business - it just passes those costs on to taxpayers.

So your solution is add an income tax so we can continue to regulate tuition?

As opposed to the current system of hidden and complicated snack, payroll (sounds alot like income to me) and franchise taxes, YES.

[qoute]
As for the loans, the federal government isn't the only source of student loans.[/QUOTE]

No, but for students who have no source of equity from which to borrow against, it's by far the best and fairest source. Loans are not easy to come by for students, by any means.

Nbadan
03-13-2005, 04:50 AM
This is exactly why San Antonio needs the new South Side A+M Campus. As far as public 4-year Universities go, there is Texas State (formerly SWTSU) in San Marcos.

Nbadan
03-13-2005, 05:03 AM
the federal government isn't the only source of student loans.

Trick statement by Scott. The federal government itself does no do student loans but is the loan guarantor, kinda like a co-signer to your student loan made by private institutions. Offsetting the costs of intrest, and backing that the loan will be re-payed by you.

NameDropper
03-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Actually, OLOTL and UIW (I don't know wtf UIC is) are probably about the smae price, but much smaller and don't offer nearly the amount of programs that UTSA does.

Another thing, UTSA is a public school, not a private school. Perhaps learning the difference would be a good idea so that you don't continue trying to compare apples to oranges.

UIC was the University of the Incarnate Word, so sue me for getting wrong.

And I do know the difference between a public and a private school so why don't you stop being a wise ass to everyone who disagrees with you.

That shit is getting old.

MannyIsGod
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah Yeah, it's been getting old for years. I'll be sure to send you a box of tissues.

NameDropper
03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
http://prodtn.cafepress.com/6/16838036_F_tn.jpg

scott
03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I am all for education, but I also believe that not every in college belongs there. The "everyone go to college because its what you do after high school" attitude has cheapened the value of a college education.

I believe we should thin out the college ranks, concentrate on K-12 to bring it up to world standards, and then we will be making some real progress.

MannyIsGod
03-13-2005, 11:20 PM
The problem is that today's k-12 education is that it doesn't provide you with shit.

Once you provide high school graduates with the same type of education that is worth anything in the job market, then I'll think college is much less nessecary for everyone.

Oh and Name, that's cute, but everyone in this country is going to suffer as the rest of the world not only catch's up, but passes us at this rate.

JohnnyMarzetti
03-14-2005, 08:22 AM
It's all a conspiracy by the education system. HS's suck which makes a college degree necessary although a degree from UTSA isn't worth crap so you get a low paying college degree job and you spend all your take home pay on student loans which discourages some and soon they are jobless and the cycle starts all over again.

travis2
03-14-2005, 08:28 AM
It's all a conspiracy by the education system. HS's suck which makes a college degree necessary although a degree from UTSA isn't worth crap so you get a low paying college degree job and you spend all your take home pay on student loans which discourages some and soon they are jobless and the cycle starts all over again.

With takes like that, you have no business calling anyone stupid...

:lmao

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Does anyone else in here contribute to a 529 plan?

Clandestino
03-14-2005, 12:30 PM
I am all for education, but I also believe that not every in college belongs there. The "everyone go to college because its what you do after high school" attitude has cheapened the value of a college education.

I believe we should thin out the college ranks, concentrate on K-12 to bring it up to world standards, and then we will be making some real progress.

part of the way they do this is by standardized testing at early levels. by middle school in some european countries a student already knows whether he is destined for a university, vo-tec school or apprenticeship... middle school is fairly young to decide don't you think? most college students don't even know what they want to do?

as far as cheapening college educations... i think many employers just need something to weed applicants out. no college degree immediately gets your resume tossed...

Sec24Row7
03-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Boo freakin hoo...

Try paying for a private college.

When UTSA gets up to a 3rd or even a Quarter of what I paid per semester to go to school, then I'll worry...

scott
03-14-2005, 06:01 PM
part of the way they do this is by standardized testing at early levels. by middle school in some european countries a student already knows whether he is destined for a university, vo-tec school or apprenticeship... middle school is fairly young to decide don't you think? most college students don't even know what they want to do?

I've provided statistics in countless numbers of other threads showing that US Students trail other industrialized nation students in the aggregate. Even Germany's vo-tec students are better educated than our "honor" students.

as far as cheapening college educations... i think many employers just need something to weed applicants out. no college degree immediately gets your resume tossed...

I don't think we should hand out college degrees just so someone can get their resume on to a desk.

The world needs garbage men as much as it needs doctors.

MannyIsGod
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Boo freakin hoo...

Try paying for a private college.

When UTSA gets up to a 3rd or even a Quarter of what I paid per semester to go to school, then I'll worry...

Sure, when UTSA provides the same level of education as Trinity, that'll be an applicable arguement.

Scott, I'm all for revamping all education. People don't understand just how much it's starting to hurt us that our workforce is below average and falling rapidly.

Look at the money spent on our military, and look at the money spent on eduation. Even an American high school student can see where our priorities lie.

Clandestino
03-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I've provided statistics in countless numbers of other threads showing that US Students trail other industrialized nation students in the aggregate. Even Germany's vo-tec students are better educated than our "honor" students.

i highly, highly doubt this...

atlfan25
03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
fuck tuition, i hate it.

NameDropper
03-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Sure, when UTSA provides the same level of education as Trinity, that'll be an applicable arguement.

Are there statistics that support the argument that Trinity provides a higher level of education.
And I'm not from SA originally so I don't know the history of Trinity and UTSA.

But it seems that UTSA gets trashed in here quite a bit yet I know quite a few who have done quite well with a degree from UTSA.

Nbadan
03-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Are there statistics that support the argument that Trinity provides a higher level of education.

But it seems that UTSA gets trashed in here quite a bit yet I know quite a few who have done quite well with a degree from UTSA.

Colleges are all about tradition, reputation and building connections. Do you honestly think someone at Trinity is working twice or three times as hard for the same degree as someone from UTSA? It's not always what ya know, but who ya know.

GoldToe
03-14-2005, 11:31 PM
In some countries, students are required to take advanced math and science courses earlier in their curriculum and for a longer duration than in the U.S. where most kids opt not to take any.

I think the key to getting kids to learn is to teach them how to learn. I absorb information like a freakin' sponge because my mom taught me just how important it is to be able to learn -- not necessarily what you learn, more that you learn.
Kids growing up now are getting to be smarter than their parents, but that's not saying a whole lot since my parents generation only had something like 50% literacy (correct me if I'm wrong on that, Baby Boomers).
What it does say, though, is that we are learning more. Maybe just not as quickly as the rest of the world cause we can't get our fat asses to learn how.

Sec24Row7
03-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I have a friend who was taking the same courses at UTSA that I did at trinity...

They were a joke, just like all public highschool classes are jokes unless they are AP.

MannyIsGod
03-15-2005, 12:32 AM
i highly, highly doubt this...

Oh the statistics are there. Check out your very own Department of Educations wedsite.

Clandestino
03-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Colleges are all about tradition, reputation and building connections. Do you honestly think someone at Trinity is working twice or three times as hard for the same degree as someone from UTSA? It's not always what ya know, but who ya know.

fuck! i agree with dan for the first time on something...

but yeah, i have had profs at utsa who also taught at trinity, st marys, etc...

Al Sharpton
03-15-2005, 11:32 AM
What about a good quality education at a black college?

Don't count us out.

Clandestino
03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
What about a good quality education at a black college?

Don't count us out.

LOL! you're nuts!

Extra Stout
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM

But it seems that UTSA gets trashed in here quite a bit yet I know quite a few who have done quite well with a degree from UTSA.The CEO of DirecTV before News Corp. bought them out was a UTSA grad.