PDA

View Full Version : Our bench against LA's?

toki9
03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I was pleasantly surprised at how our bench stacked up against LA's--especially since LA's depth was suppose to be one of their strengths...do you think this was an aberration due to Odom being in the starting line up? Haven't watched too many LA games this year, so no idea how to assess their play tonight.

Allanon
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Spurs bench outplayed the Lakers bench quite a bit. The Lakers bench has sucked ever since Odom went to the starting lineup.

I like Pau's offense but Pau just doesn't cut it out there leading the 2nd unit because he plays no defense.

toki9
03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
The Lakers bench has sucked ever since Odom went to the starting lineup.

I like Pau's offense but Pau just doesn't cut it out there leading the 2nd unit because he plays no defense.

Farmar looked a little out of control...4 turnovers in 16 minutes seems high...do you think that was a one night thing?

ploto
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Actually the Lakers bench (playing a total of 67 minutes) outscored the Spurs bench (playing a total of 78 minutes) 24-19.

crc21209
03-12-2009, 10:14 PM
The Laker bench is overrated. This Spurs team fully healthy can take out the Lakers, I know it.

Allanon
03-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Farmar looked a little out of control...4 turnovers in 16 minutes seems high...do you think that was a one night thing?

Not a one night thing with Farmar. That's his problem, he plays out of control alot. That's why you see Odom as the point forward off the bench.

But with no Odom, it's all Farmar and Vujacic and that's not a good thing. That's probably also why Luke Walton is back on the bench, somebody has to control Farmar/Vujacic.

I can't even remember the last time the Lakers had a good point guard...Magic?

Having Odom back on the bench is one of the main reasons why I think Bynum is so vital.

loveforthegame
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Our bench did a better job than I expected. A healthy Ginobli and Gooden will only strengthen it.

toki9
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Not a one night thing with Farmar. That's his problem, he plays out of control alot. That's why you see Odom as the point forward off the bench.

But with no Odom, it's all Farmar and Vujacic and that's not a good thing. That's probably also why Luke Walton is back on the bench, somebody has to control Farmar/Vujacic.

I can't even remember the last time the Lakers had a good point guard...Magic?

Having Odom back on the bench is one of the main reasons why I think Bynum is so vital.

Good points. Thanks for the response.

Allanon
03-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Good points. Thanks for the response.

You're welcome, great job by your bench and good game. Cya in the WCF.

tomtom
03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I think the Lakers bench is inconsistent but when they're on their game they can be pretty deadly, Powell looks really good

Spur-Addict
03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Actually the Lakers bench (playing a total of 67 minutes) outscored the Spurs bench (playing a total of 78 minutes) 24-19.

Putting Bonner on the bench can change that.

Also, Pick and pop with Mason might be something to look into. (Yes, I know Mason starts, but it's just something to consider in the second unit when subs are made)

If Pau stays in the second unit (Depending on the health of Bynum, or not even. It could be Bynum or Pau.), we have options with Drew if Kurt starts. (Or vice versa)

I think we have a flexible bench that needs to be utilized. Hairston still exists, so we have options with which to match up with. He can guard Sasha, that's certain. He could most likely do a better job against Walton than others did this game.

Alot of things could be done here. Now, if bynum doesn't return, exploitation of the bench should very much so be on the horizon.