PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Lakers Game)

duncan228
03-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_090312.html)

Gregg Popovich

On the game - “As disappointed as I was with the first quarter, I was just as thrilled the rest of the game. We hung tough in the second, third and fourth quarters. It’s difficult to spot the best team in the league 18 points and then play catch up. They (Lakers) played great and didn’t miss their shots.”

On Michael Finley - “He played well and made his shots. We just didn’t score in the first quarter. They (Lakers) were like firecrackers and we looked tentative. After that (quarter), we played hard.”

On George Hill guarding Kobe Bryant - “If you’ve watched him, then you should know (why he was on Kobe). He plays a heck of a defense and he does a good job. He did a good job tonight. Every minute he’s on the court, he’s learning. He’s a rookie and it’s his first time to play against everyone. Every game, every minute is an education for him.”

On Drew Gooden - “He looked like he’s been here all year. He’s a pro. He knows its basketball; it’s not real difficult. He’s played it long enough and he plays well.”

Tim Duncan

On the game - “They jumped on us. They jumped on us great. Obviously they made shots. I don’t know what they shot for their first nine or 10 shots but I don’t even know if they missed. They really got out on us and we spent the whole game trying to get back in to it. Good effort by the guys to make a run at it and get it within two and Kobe (Bryant) makes an amazing contested three. You can’t spot a time like that that many points and expect to be right back in to it.”

On what they did differently in the second half - “We were being a little tentative in the first half. They play in between and they rotate a lot and they’re long. We were just trying to make the right plays and the right passes and in the second half we were a little more aggressive trying to get shots and get things on the glass. It’s just an attitude we’ll have to remember and hopefully implement later.”

On what the comeback did for their confidence - “It’s a good gauge. Obviously they’re the best team in the West right now, the best team in the league right now. You just can’t spot a team like that that many points. Hopefully if we do see them again we’ll learn something from this game.”

Drew Gooden

On the game - “It felt good. Last game I played in was two weeks ago and before that was a month and a half so it felt good to get some action tonight.”

On how he fits in with his new team - “I think I’m going to do a good job. I haven’t had any time to practice with the team; everything I’ve been doing has been with the coaches. Other than that I feel like it’s just a game of basketball and anybody in this league can do that and I think I’m one of them.”

On the similarity of play between San Antonio and Cleveland - “It’s similar. Different names and stuff, the terminology is a little different but it’s pretty much the same.”

Lakers Head Coach Phil Jackson

On the game - “The game had all of the makings of a game we played earlier this year in the season against them and we lost. Tonight we held them off and we made the finishing drive.”

On when asked if that was the best quarter the Lakers have played this season - “Yeah, that was a good defensive quarter. Offensively we were in control and we set a good pace.”

On the Spurs coming back from 18 and still holding the Spurs off - “They had to chase, and when you have to chase you lose a lot of energy. They made a good spurt right at the end of the third quarter to get back in. Then we made some turnovers in the beginning of the fourth quarter that got them energized. It takes a lot of energy to try to come back when you’re down.”

Pau Gasol

On the game - “Obviously a back to back in Texas is huge for our team. We had a very positive mentality when we started both of these last two games. We need to have this positive mentality with every road game. “

“It has been hard to be competing at such a high level night after night but that’s what it takes to come in to San Antonio and win. Obviously my body is sore and my legs are tired but this is my job. Right now I’m looking forward to some rest and then getting ready for Dallas.”

Lamar Odom

On the game - “I feel like I can play a lot better. I think I was forcing my shots tonight. We came out very tough with our defense tonight and we were able to smother the Spurs before they got into a good rhythm. Our defensive rebounding gave us the ability to build a lead and protect it the entire game.”

On the playoff clinch - “This is the first step and from here on out we need to keep building the momentum need to be ready for the playoffs.”

On bench support - “They played well tonight and picked up the pace and kept our lead to about eight or ten points. The bench did everything we needed them to do.”

phyzik
03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Pop has something brewing up his sleeve.

Im not saying Spurs can easily win, but Pop is definately up to something.

NRHector
03-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Like I said before, he is getting Hill battle tested for the playoffs that's why Bruce was resting and saving energies for the playoffs:flag:

Spursmania
03-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Pop has rested Bruce so much this season, he better come off like a defensive beast!

iggypop123
03-13-2009, 12:25 AM
when does resting too much =benched

peskypesky
03-13-2009, 01:14 AM
I think Pop knows that Bowen's got one last playoff season in him...and then he's done. So might as well rest him so he can give every last ounce of effort in his swan song.

But just in case Bowen can't bring it, Pop is getting Hill ready for the role of designated perimeter stopper.