PDA

View Full Version : Crack this puppy open and learn.

LockBeard
03-13-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Economics-Thinking-Beyond-Stage/dp/0465003451

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dWd-lq7LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Check this out my good liberal friends.

ratm1221
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-G5MO4eGL._SS500_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Politics-Bad-Ideas-Delusion-Government/dp/0205605389/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236956101&sr=1-5

balli
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Sure... and I too have one for the board republicans:

http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/hop-on-pop.gif

RandomGuy
03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Economics-Thinking-Beyond-Stage/dp/0465003451

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dWd-lq7LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Check this out my good liberal friends.

You have my promise to read it, only if you can explain to me the following:

Why increasing domestic drilling to decrease the % of imported oil would leave us just as vulnerable to political instability in the Middle East and the intendant disruptions.

RandomGuy
03-13-2009, 11:20 AM
FWIW:

Thomas Sowell reveals:

Why New York's ever-increasing corporate taxes are directly to blame for the abandonment of the city by many key corporations -- leaving New York with a diminished corporate tax base

California's electricity crisis: how blackouts and higher costs for consumers were the inevitable result of the state government's attempt to keep consumer prices low by legal fiat

Central planning: how it drove the Soviet economy into the ground and why it simply doesn't work, despite liberals' continuing fondness for it

How the economic advantages of a market economy are accompanied by political disadvantages

Planned economies: how they inevitably turn decent people into criminals

A free labor market: how it benefits not only the worker but also the economy

Why the Soviet slave labor system was not as profitable as free labor, even though it accounted for huge sectors of the Soviet Union's economic output

Price controls: why they are usually popular politically despite failing to accomplish what they are instituted to do

Single-payer health care: why it makes the overall cost of medical care go up -- and its quality go down

Why a free market is the best antidote to racial prejudice: how discrimination inflicts economic damage not only on those being discriminated against, but on those doing the discrimination

The outrageous distortions and half-truths purveyed by Ralph Nader and other self-styled "consumer advocates" (and their devastating economic effects)

Property developers: how they are unfairly demonized by liberal economists and activists

The immensely important role that geography plays in the economic realities of various places around the globe

Why cities with rent control laws have higher rents than cities that don't -- and how rent control reduces incentives to build new housing, as well as to maintain existing housing

How liberals distort and misrepresent statistics about black and white economic performance in order to exaggerate the lingering presence of discrimination in American society

The unrecorded human costs of price-controlled medical care: how they reveal the bankruptcy of the whole idea of socialized medicine

------------------------

http://www.hebookservice.com/products/BookPage.asp?prod_cd=c6436

LnGrrrR
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Thomas Sowell is an idiot, and I have no idea why the Right loves him so much.

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM

He provides them the cloak of scholarly legitimacy that they crave.

He makes some valid points, but I would not trust him to give a balanced analysis of policy.

LnGrrrR
03-16-2009, 11:01 AM

He makes some valid points, but I would not trust him to give a balanced analysis of policy.

That's the whole problem. He never argues fairly. He'll put up a seemingly sound proposition, then support it with strawmen, cherry-picked facts, and appeals to authority.

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
That's the whole problem. He never argues fairly. He'll put up a seemingly sound proposition, then support it with strawmen, cherry-picked facts, and appeals to authority.

Astonishing! A conservative pundit clearly demonstrating a total lack of understanding of logic and real critical thinking?

Get out! That is so unlike them.

LockBeard
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey Losers,

Enjoy the fact your government cares more about maintaining and expanding their control, than they do getting out of the way so Americans can create wealth.

Logic and Reasoned thinking? HAHAHAA Holy fucking shit are you serious? I didn't think your kind could even speak of such words RG. RG, please educate your son on how to use Logic and Reasoned thinking to determine agendas instead of just choosing a side and becoming an Average American.

This forum....:lmao...too many loser libs.

Bartleby
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
This forum....:lmao...too many attention whore drama queens who can't keep their word.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118784

ratm1221
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey Losers,

Enjoy the fact your government cares more about maintaining and expanding their control, than they do getting out of the way so Americans can create wealth.

Logic and Reasoned thinking? HAHAHAA Holy fucking shit are you serious? I didn't think your kind could even speak of such words RG. RG, please educate your son on how to use Logic and Reasoned thinking to determine agendas instead of just choosing a side and becoming an Average American.

Is this what giving up sounds like? Conservatives want to run around with their gun in one hand and bible in the other, with no law and no regulation, and believe that everyone will just be merry and get along. Who's the hippies again?

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey Losers,

Translation:

"No, Random Guy, I cannot explain why increasing domestic drilling to decrease the % of imported oil would leave us just as vulnerable to political instability in the Middle East and the intendant disruptions in global supply.

I claim to have the free market on my side, but, like so many conservative drones, have no idea what a free market is."

Its ok, I knew that already. I gave it long odds that you would actually know enough economics to be able to answer that question, and my bet would have paid off, albeit not hansomely.

Further:

Let me see if I get this straight:

RG, please educate your son on how to use Logic and Reasoned thinking to determine agendas instead of just choosing a side and becoming an Average American.

I would take this to imply you think that logic and reasoned thinking is a bad idea. It is rare that someone who self-identifies himself as a conservative is quite so honestly hostile to that.

Usually y'all just ignore the fact that you get constantly caught using bad logic, but never I have seen anybody actually revel in not being able to string together logical thought.

I guess one has to check any pretense of critical thinking at the door in order to be allowed into the conservative clubhouse, as I have long suspected.

You suck, and that's sad.

micca
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Sowell was born in North Carolina, where, he recounted in his autobiography, A Personal Odyssey, his encounters with Caucasians were so limited he didn't believe that "yellow" was a hair color. He moved to Harlem, New York City with his mother's sister (whom he believed was his mother); his father had died before he was born. Sowell went to Stuyvesant High School, but dropped out at 17 because of financial difficulties and a deteriorating home environment.[1] He worked at various jobs to support himself, including in a machine shop and as a delivery man for Western Union. He applied to enter the Civil Service and was eventually accepted, moving to Washington DC. He was drafted in 1951, during the Korean War, and assigned to the US Marine Corps. Due to prior experience in photography, he worked in a photography unit.
After his discharge, Sowell passed the GED examination and enrolled at Howard University. He transferred to Harvard University, where he graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics in 1958. He received a Master of Arts in Economics from Columbia University in 1959, and a Doctor of Philosophy in Economics from the University of Chicago. Sowell initially chose Columbia University because he wanted to study under George Stigler. After arriving at Columbia and learning that Stigler had moved to Chicago, he followed him there.[2]
Sowell has taught Economics at Howard University, Cornell University, Brandeis University, and UCLA. Since 1980 he has been a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, where he holds a fellowship named after Rose and Milton Friedman.[3]

perhaps the reason the right wingers and others listen to sowell is because of his wide an varied experince his extensive education, and the fact he offers more enlgihtening and provoking thought than just calling someone an idiot.
[edit]

micca
03-16-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah for that you need to go to Noam Chomsky

Winehole23
03-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Credentials mean dick. Sowell has been a potted plant at the Hoover Institution for 30 years. Micturition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-micturition_convulsion_syndrome) is an appropriate and natural response to him -- so I think I'll pee in the pot too.

Sowell's a hacky, doctrinaire ideologue, not a scholar. His arguments lack basic logical integrity and are marred by embarrassing rhetorical flaws. But maybe that's what he's trying to promote. He teaches the right how to argue badly, and there is a certain guile to that.

Good god, LockBeard. Instead of wasting time on epigones (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=epigone) like Sowell, go read Knight, Friedman and Hayek. You're spending too much time at Pre-Chew Charlie's (http://snl.jt.org/comm.php?i=P).

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/caps/episode_sketches/1980-02-09-3.jpg

JohnnyMarzetti
03-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Bush had a good education too and he's one of the biggest idiots of all time.

LnGrrrR
03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey Losers,

A sound post founded on logic and rational thinking.

LnGrrrR
03-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Sowell was born in North Carolina, where, he recounted in his autobiography, A Personal Odyssey, his encounters with Caucasians were so limited he didn't believe that "yellow" was a hair color. He moved to Harlem, New York City with his mother's sister (whom he believed was his mother); his father had died before he was born. Sowell went to Stuyvesant High School, but dropped out at 17 because of financial difficulties and a deteriorating home environment.[1] He worked at various jobs to support himself, including in a machine shop and as a delivery man for Western Union. He applied to enter the Civil Service and was eventually accepted, moving to Washington DC. He was drafted in 1951, during the Korean War, and assigned to the US Marine Corps. Due to prior experience in photography, he worked in a photography unit.
After his discharge, Sowell passed the GED examination and enrolled at Howard University. He transferred to Harvard University, where he graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics in 1958. He received a Master of Arts in Economics from Columbia University in 1959, and a Doctor of Philosophy in Economics from the University of Chicago. Sowell initially chose Columbia University because he wanted to study under George Stigler. After arriving at Columbia and learning that Stigler had moved to Chicago, he followed him there.[2]
Sowell has taught Economics at Howard University, Cornell University, Brandeis University, and UCLA. Since 1980 he has been a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, where he holds a fellowship named after Rose and Milton Friedman.[3]

perhaps the reason the right wingers and others listen to sowell is because of his wide an varied experince his extensive education, and the fact he offers more enlgihtening and provoking thought than just calling someone an idiot.
[edit]

Ah... so everyone who's gone through different experience, and has extensive education, is not an idiot, and can not argue unfairly. Nice to know.

Other people the right wingers must love in that case:

Al Gore
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama
Howard Dean

micca
03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Ah... so everyone who's gone through different experience, and has extensive education, is not an idiot, and can not argue unfairly. Nice to know.

Other people the right wingers must love in that case:

Al Gore
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama
Howard Dean

I think someone like sowell is amazing, I can't say as I love him, but no one you listed has anything like the collection of experinces sowell had.Grows up in an isolated homogenous community then pulled into New York a huge city with a diverse population raised in extreme poverty, goes to war, then is able to not only put himself through college but graduate with honors. When someone goes through that much and is still able to not only survive but thrive. I want to hear what they think and what they got out of life.

LnGrrrR
03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I think someone like sowell is amazing, I can't say as I love him, but no one you listed has anything like the collection of experinces sowell had.Grows up in an isolated homogenous community then pulled into New York a huge city with a diverse population raised in extreme poverty, goes to war, then is able to not only put himself through college but graduate with honors. When someone goes through that much and is still able to not only survive but thrive. I want to hear what they think and what they got out of life.

That's all fine and good. However, it does not mean he is immune to arguing poorly. :)

micca
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
That's all fine and good. However, it does not mean he is immune to arguing poorly. :)

I've never met anyone who argues well.

LnGrrrR
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I've never met anyone who argues well.

Honestly? And by argument, I'm referring to debating, not "YOU SUCK!" arguing :)

You state a case, and argue your points for it. Hopefully your case uses facts and cogent theories. Most people tend to use many logical fallacies. In fact, pretty much every ad you've ever seen relies on them.

micca
03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Credentials mean dick. Sowell has been a potted plant at the Hoover Institution for 30 years. Micturition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-micturition_convulsion_syndrome) is an appropriate and natural response to him -- so I think I'll pee in the pot too.

Sowell's a hacky, doctrinaire ideologue, not a scholar. His arguments lack basic logical integrity and are marred by embarrassing rhetorical flaws. But maybe that's what he's trying to promote. He teaches the right how to argue badly, and there is a certain guile to that.

Good god, LockBeard. Instead of wasting time on epigones (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=epigone) like Sowell, go read Knight, Friedman and Hayek. You're spending too much time at Pre-Chew Charlie's (http://snl.jt.org/comm.php?i=P).
I agree a list of alphabet soup behind your name doesn't insure intelligence or ability but it can give you some clues, otherwise you wind up with pudgy pin headed ex vice presidents (whose only scientific expertise is that he once made a kite with no help from daddy) pontificating on climate change, and using political strong arm tatics to silence true scientific inquery.I am more impressed by Sowell's drive, and intelligence than by his degrees.

micca
03-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Honestly? And by argument, I'm referring to debating, not "YOU SUCK!" arguing :)

You state a case, and argue your points for it. Hopefully your case uses facts and cogent theories. Most people tend to use many logical fallacies. In fact, pretty much every ad you've ever seen relies on them.

I worked on a newspaper once , the first day the editor pulled me aside and told me. We write propoganda and so does eveyone else, we bury some stories,we pull others to the forefront, we spin stories a certain way, so don't feel bad about doing it? Which facts do you want to use?

LnGrrrR
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I worked on a newspaper once , the first day the editor pulled me aside and told me. We write propoganda and so does eveyone else, we bury some stories,we pull others to the forefront, we spin stories a certain way, so don't feel bad about doing it? Which facts do you want to use?

Sure, everyone has biases. But there's a difference between saying 1) school vouchers don't work because student grades have gone down X percent while spending Y percent more money and saying 2) student vouchers are bad because X politician proposed it, and X politician once lied!

To think there's no difference is just being willfully blind.

And the fact that the press spins stories is a reason why they're only trusted by 9% of the public. If they argued HONESTLY, maybe that would be a bit higher. :D

Ignignokt
03-17-2009, 08:41 PM
i can't believe what im reading, LNGrrrr is ok with blatant propaganda, and then towards the end he pseudo isnt.

sook
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Losers,

Don't you live under the same government? Its no surprise Rush wants this country to fail

sook
03-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Ignignokt
03-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Don't you live under the same government? Its no surprise Rush wants this country to fail

according to a Fox News poll 51 percent of americans mostly registered democrats wanted Bush to fail.

Carville also wanted bush to fail.

ChumpDumper
03-18-2009, 03:08 AM
according to a Fox News poll 51 percent of americans mostly registered democrats wanted Bush to fail.

Carville also wanted bush to fail.Do you have a link to support those claims?

RandomGuy
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Translation:

"No, Random Guy, I cannot explain why increasing domestic drilling to decrease the % of imported oil would leave us just as vulnerable to political instability in the Middle East and the intendant disruptions in global supply.

I claim to have the free market on my side, but, like so many conservative drones, have no idea what a free market is."

I never did get Lockbeard to demonstrate his knowledge of the free market by explaining this.