PDA

View Full Version : In case anyone thought the Iraq war was simple "mismanaged"

Supergirl
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe people already know this, but Paul Bremer (architect of the original Iraq war strategy) started a business called Crisis Consulting Practice in November 2001, after his previous business was destroyed in 9/11.

"In November 2001, shortly after he launched his new counterterrorism company, Crisis Consulting Practice, Bremer wrote a policy paper for his clients explaining why multinational corporations faced increased risk of terrorist attacks at home and abroad. In the paper, entitled "New Risks in International BUsiness", he told his elite clients that they faced increased dangers because of the economic model that had made them so wealthy. Free trade, he wrote, has lead to "the creation of unprecedented wealth," but it has "immediate negative consequences for many." It "requires laying off workers. And opening markets to foreign trade puts enormous pressure on traditional retailers and trade monopolies." All these changes lead to growing income gaps and social tensions", which in turn can lead to a range of attacks on U.S. firms, including terrorist attacks."

(originally published in Viewpoint, Nov 2, 2001, accessed at www.mmc.com, republished in Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine, p. 456-457)

I've been letting the Bush administration off the hook by saying they were incompetent for not knowing their war strategy and imperialist, disaster capitalism would lead to an increase in terrorism and unrest. But I've been too generous. They knew from the start. The very person they put in charge knew the risks - leading one to conclude that he just didn't care.

What level of Dante's hell would that put him in? Or, in secular terms, surely this is enough to bring Bremer, Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield up on war crimes.

DarrinS
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Or, in secular terms, surely this is enough to bring Bremer, Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield up on war crimes.

Incompetent? Perhaps.

War criminals? Give me a fucking break.

Supergirl
03-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Incompetent? Perhaps.

War criminals? Give me a fucking break.

I think intentionally going in and destroying a country's infrastructure for the sole purpose of making money for multinational corporations counts as a war crime.

DarrinS
03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I think intentionally going in and destroying a country's infrastructure for the sole purpose of making money for multinational corporations counts as a war crime.

I think you need to talk to Nbadan and Galileo. You probably have a lot in common with them.

InK
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I've been letting the Bush administration off the hook by saying they were incompetent for not knowing their war strategy and imperialist, disaster capitalism would lead to an increase in terrorism and unrest. But I've been too generous. They knew from the start. The very person they put in charge knew the risks - leading one to conclude that he just didn't care.

What level of Dante's hell would that put him in? Or, in secular terms, surely this is enough to bring Bremer, Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield up on war crimes.

Following that logic, we could have the whole Executive, Legislative and Judicial branch for at least the last 25 years, with all the big bussines's upper managment who have factories in the developing word brought under the same charges as well. Silly to say the least.

Oh, Gee!!
03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Incompetent? Perhaps.

incompetence is an excuse when the guy at McD's runs out of nuggets

InK
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
incompetence is an excuse when the guy at McD's runs out of nuggets

Rofl:lmao:lmao

Extra Stout
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm failing to see the logical progression from publishing a policy paper on terrorism motivated by the negative consequences of free trade to intentionally starting a war in Iraq to destroy its infrastructure. Did destroying Iraq's infrastructure stimulate free trade?

ChumpDumper
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I still can't believe Bush changed horses in the middle of the stream by ousting Jay Garner, Garner was admittedly overwhelmed but by several degrees less than the stunningly unqualified Bremer, and Garner had a plan to restore a modicum of self-government in Iraq within 90 days. Bremer and his staff wore those ridiculous hiking boots with suits, which should have been enough of a sign what we were getting into with that choice -- a viceroy who simply didn't know what he was doing.

Supergirl
03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm failing to see the logical progression from publishing a policy paper on terrorism motivated by the negative consequences of free trade to intentionally starting a war in Iraq to destroy its infrastructure. Did destroying Iraq's infrastructure stimulate free trade?

YES. The Iraq war was designed and manufactured to demolish a dictatorship (one we used to support, before he grew bored and refused to play by our rules) in order to establish a completely "free market" - the exact same play done in Chile under Pinochet, in Argentina, in Bolivia, in Poland, in Russia, etc, etc. Look at who has profited from the Iraq war - the only people who have profited, while the rest of the country lives in poverty and resorts to terrorism because they feel they have no other choice - Halliburton, Bechtel, and other multinational corporations.

InK
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
YES. Why would publishing a paper equate to ( or directly lead to) starting a war? One has little relation to the other, so it would appear. Your really way off base here.

InRareForm
03-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Great Book!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/01/SD_071001120057861_wideweb__300x453.jpg

boutons_
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
"The Iraq war was designed and manufactured to demolish a dictatorship"

are you still believing this shit? WMD was the bogus primary, before-the-UN justification, not taking out Saddam. The true reason was to grab Iraqi oil.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 10:31 PM

are you still believing this shit? WMD was the bogus primary, before-the-UN justification, not taking out Saddam. The true reason was to grab Iraqi oil.

Don't forget to make a shitload of money for private companies on the taxpayers dime.

Supergirl
03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Why would publishing a paper equate to ( or directly lead to) starting a war? One has little relation to the other, so it would appear. Your really way off base here.

Really? You need me to connect the dots for you? OK, fine.

No one is saying that writing the paper=starting a war. What I SAID was that Bremer clearly knew before we went in to Iraq what the impact of his strategy was - meaning, it wasn't just a bumbling mistake. It was a calculated plan to make money for multinational corporations.

Supergirl
03-14-2009, 11:59 PM

WMD was the excuse given, along with bogus links to Osama bin Laden, but taking out Saddam was always part of the plan, because he had grown less cooperative with American interests over the years. They needed him out of the way, not because Bremer, Bush, Cheney, or Rumsfeld cared what happened to Iraqis, but because they wanted control of Iraq's oil reserves.

InRareForm
03-15-2009, 12:28 AM
just another reason why the looting aspect was allowed. Iraqi's now with some assets that would get thrown right back at the corporations in near time.

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2009, 02:36 AM
I thought everyone knew that the Republican party was backed by the oil companies. This isn't exactly news guys, we knew this back in 2001. Yes, Bush is a war criminal

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2009, 02:37 AM
WMD was the excuse given, along with bogus links to Osama bin Laden, but taking out Saddam was always part of the plan, because he had grown less cooperative with American interests over the years. They needed him out of the way, not because Bremer, Bush, Cheney, or Rumsfeld cared what happened to Iraqis, but because they wanted control of Iraq's oil reserves.

It goes alot deeper than that. They wanted to set up an American "presence" in the Middle East in order to dictate oil prices for the whole region.

Ignignokt
03-15-2009, 03:22 AM
It goes alot deeper than that. They wanted to set up an American "presence" in the Middle East in order to dictate oil prices for the whole region.

Bush wanted to dictate oil prices to record highs so that his party could lose two elections in a row. Got it.

sabar
03-15-2009, 05:03 AM
How do conspiracy nuts sleep at night? Need to chill out and relax, come back to reality.

I'd be neat if 1/3rd of the posts in this forum weren't either attacking or defending conspiracy theories. I guess when people run out of news they let their imagination take over.

boutons_
03-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Sabar as guardian and holder of the True Reality is part of conspiracy to deny conspiracies.

War is huge $$$$$business, and huge business pay politicians to make war.

DarrinS
03-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Great Book!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/01/SD_071001120057861_wideweb__300x453.jpg

From her website:

Around the world in Britain, the United States, Asia and the Middle East, there are people with power who are cashing in on chaos; exploiting bloodshed and catastrophe to brutally remake our world in their image.

So, is Obama one of these people? or does this theory only apply to conservatives?

George Gervin's Afro
03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
From her website:

Around the world in Britain, the United States, Asia and the Middle East, there are people with power who are cashing in on chaos; exploiting bloodshed and catastrophe to brutally remake our world in their image.

So, is Obama one of these people? or does this theory only apply to conservatives?

What chaos, bloodshed, or catastrophe is Obama using to 'brutally' remake our world?

InK
03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
From her website:

Well he is in on it partially. He is ( or will be in the near future) using the financial and economic crisis as a platform from which certain reforms (which in the time of prosperity would/ could never be passed through congress and senate) will be passed. In that respect he is following the Chicago boys manual.
The difference however is, that contrary to the people of whom Klein speaks in her book, Obama or his party didn't ( and could't) intentionally create or help create ( nor did republicans or anyone else for that matter) this situation to benefit from it economically. So outta the 3 step shock doctrine policy, Obama gets one step right.

DarrinS
03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Well he is in on it partially. He is ( or will be in the near future) using the financial and economic crisis as a platform from which certain reforms (which in the time of prosperity would/ could never be passed through congress and senate) will be passed. In that respect he is following the Chicago boys manual.
The difference however is, that contrary to the people of whom Klein speaks in her book, Obama or his party didn't ( and could't) intentionally create or help create ( nor did republicans or anyone else for that matter) this situation to benefit from it economically. So outta the 3 step shock doctrine policy, Obama gets one step right.

You understood my point. George Gervin's Afro (LOL) did not.

ElNono
03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Bush wanted to dictate oil prices to record highs so that his party could lose two elections in a row. Got it.

He didn't win the war, due in part to what was deemed incompetence.
Plus it's not like gas had much to do with it, when every poll from 2006 and up until the economy imploded signaled that the number one concern for Americans was the war.

Supergirl
03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Well, there's also the major difference of Obama wanting to put vital services back in the hands of government, where they have SOME hope of being managed appropriately and have some oversight, as opposed to the Chicago Boys, whose model is to use a crisis to quickly deregulate and sell off the state piece by piece to multinational corporations.