PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Italia burns down

King
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Not sure who has eaten there, but that place was fantastic. Drove by it this morning, and it was absolutely gutted. The roof completely caved in.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Early_morning_fire_strikes_restaurant.html

A North Side pizzeria was largely destroyed in an early-morning blaze that might have damaged nearby buildings.

Around 5 a.m., one of the owners of Jack’s Patio Bar in the 2900 block of Thousand Oaks was locking the bar when he saw flames consuming the front door of Pizza Italia, next to the bar, he said.

“I moved my car, then called 911, and five minutes later, the roof was on fire,” said Rene Martinez. “I was speechless, shocked.”

More than two dozen units and 80 San Antonio firefighters fought the blaze, which already had broken through the roof by the time trucks arrived, said Assistant Chief David Coatney.

He estimated the fire caused $750,000 in damage and the inside of the restaurant was a total loss, but the extent of the fire’s havoc won’t be seen until sunrise, Coatney said. The business owner hadn’t been contacted yet, he said.

“There are fire stops in the building,” Coatney said, explaining that those caused the fire not to spread rapidly through the strip center. “But there was possible extension to other buildings.”

Martinez was relieved his business wasn’t damaged by the fire.

pkbpkb81
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
thats close to my house

I. Hustle
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah it sucks. That place is around the corner from my house and I used to like to go there. It was pretty good pizza.

mrsmaalox
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Is this on Thousand Oaks near Jones-Maltsberger?

I. Hustle
03-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Is this on Thousand Oaks near Jones-Maltsberger?

That's the one

PakiDan
03-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Ahhhh. That sucks.

MrChug
03-13-2009, 07:20 PM
I sent out the mass-text as soon as I read at 7...to all the people I turned on to that place. It'd really REALLY better be relocate or rebuild soon. They had quite the following. I was a disciple.

I'm confident in saying this was the best pizza on the northside that wasn't a chain. 70+ types of beer couldn't hurt my choicemaking either. Was eating/ording from there over 15 years ago when it was around the corner from it's most former location.

MiamiHeat
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
does this mean the burning pizzeria created a giant oven and baked a giant pizza?

exstatic
03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
If they burned it for the insurance, a distinct possibility in this economy, you won't see them again for a long time. Restaurants are dropping right and left.

EricB
03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
If they burned it for the insurance, a distinct possibility in this economy, you won't see them again for a long time. Restaurants are dropping right and left.

Sad, but this was the first thing I thought of as well.

King
03-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Well, what I've heard is that it's being investigated - because the fire allegedly looks like it was started at the back door.

Mr Dio
03-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Sux, they had awesome food.
Looks like when I'm in that area I'll be eating at Ms Ellie's now.

Where would locals in that area suggest for pizza w/PI now gone?

Dex
03-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Damn, I lived right up the street from that place on Thousand Oaks for about 10 years. My dentist was in the same complex, and back in the day it was the hot spot with the CD Exchange.

Never really liked Pizza Italia or Jack's, but that's still pretty chitty.

Dex
03-15-2009, 02:15 PM

There is a Caparelli's across the street, in the shopping center w/ the HEB and Blockbuster. Great pies.

(At least, there was the last time I was in SA, which was a couple years ago)

mrsmaalox
03-15-2009, 02:29 PM

This local would suggest Florio's in Lincoln Heights (Broadway & Basse area near the Quarry). It's not in that area, but I prefer it to Ms.Ellie's. It's the closest I've ever had to NYC. Of course there are soooo many new places out here in North Central I'm sure there are closer and/or as good options.

Mugshot
03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I like Florio's and Miss Ellie's. I live by Miss Ellie's, so I go there a lot more.

LuvBones
03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
There is a Caparelli's across the street, in the shopping center w/ the HEB and Blockbuster. Great pies.

(At least, there was the last time I was in SA, which was a couple years ago)

Mmm! I go to Caparelli's quite a bit... love that place! Great food!

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2009, 05:41 PM
insurance job :D

good luck with the rebuilding process if they were insured :D

AIG here they come....

mabrignani
03-15-2009, 05:41 PM
MADONA SANTA! the place in shavano park next to the HEB is great....naples pizzeria. get the buffalo chicken pizza, damn good

mabrignani
03-15-2009, 05:44 PM
insurance job :D

good luck with the rebuilding process if they were insured :D

AIG here they come....

they must have been in with the mob....mafia always knows how to cover their tracks and makes a few extra bucks. if you ever watch the early episodes of sopranos they burn down homeboys ristorante to get a few extra bucks then got a new one bigger and better

pkbpkb81
03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
This local would suggest Florio's in Lincoln Heights (Broadway & Basse area near the Quarry). It's not in that area, but I prefer it to Ms.Ellie's. It's the closest I've ever had to NYC. Of course there are soooo many new places out here in North Central I'm sure there are closer and/or as good options.

florio's is good my grandfater lives next door to it

also i like gumbas on 410 and blanco

TMTTRIO
03-16-2009, 12:03 AM
That's terrible. I really liked that place and it's only a couple of blocks from my house :(.

blizz
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
the pizza there sucked BAD...sucks that it happened

I. Hustle
03-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Well, what I've heard is that it's being investigated - because the fire allegedly looks like it was started at the back door.

Sounds like a typical Saturday night for you.

Dex
03-16-2009, 09:50 AM
*now kinda wonders how many SpursTalkers live, or have lived, in Eden / Green Springs / Preston Hollow*