PDA

View Full Version : Muhammed Ali vs. Mike Tyson

Cry Havoc
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Fight Night Round 4

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fightnightround4.jpg

Sometimes, I don't even need to explain why I'm hyped for a game.

Opinions on this fight? A 1966 Ali vs. a 1987 Tyson.

Who you got!?

TwAnKiEs
03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Tyson would eat his children

dirk4mvp
03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
This game looks freakin great.

I had a pretty lengthy argument with a friend a few weeks ago about this. When I picked Tyson, I think he wanted to sever my head.

B-Hath
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Ali was too long and quick. It would be all about keeping Tyson at a distance. If Tyson ever got a hold of Ali it would be over. If Ali keeps his distance, I'm take him in a decision.

Cry Havoc
03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
This game looks freakin great.

I had a pretty lengthy argument with a friend a few weeks ago about this. When I picked Tyson, I think he wanted to sever my head.

Here's where the fight tips either way to me:

Tyson is going to hurt Ali. He's going to hit him and hurt him. He's just too big and too fast to not get in some damage.

However, Tyson is arguably not another tier of lethality in terms of punching power than George Foreman was, and Ali handled Foreman while Foreman was in his prime and Ali was on the steep decline of his last years as a boxer.

However, I wonder if Ali could really hurt Tyson. I'm sure Ali could hit hard when he wanted to, but I think Tyson was more than a match for any fighter Ali faced. Some boxers hit as hard, and some were as fast, but Tyson was both the hardest and fastest of his day, and I don't know if Ali faced that combination.

I wonder how many jabs it would take to the face of Tyson to slow him down. If Ali would be unable to slow Tyson, I'm not sure he could be able to take the ridiculous combinations for 12 rounds that Tyson would throw and land.

If Ali's jab and one-two slip combos could even phase Tyson, I think Ali wins the fight easily. He is very akin to Michael Jordan in the ring, he beat his opponents with his mind first, not his body. Tyson would try to overwhelm Ali, and it would be a matter of whether Ali could really score any huge shots. Tyson had a mentality of killing his opponents, and while that worked to his advantage at times, it also means that if Tyson didn't rock Ali early, he'd get frustrated and probably make a lot of mistakes, to the point of completely overboxing until Ali just destroyed him, inside out.

It all comes down to that one-two Ali throws. If that hurts Tyson, he wins. If it doesn't, hooo boy, it would be a hell of a fight.

I say Ali in 10, but one huge punch from Tyson could end things early.

PM5K
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Very well though out decision Cry Havoc, mine isn't quite as complicated:

GOAT FTW

OR

GOAT FTMFW

Cry Havoc
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Very well though out decision Cry Havoc, mine isn't quite as complicated:

GOAT FTW

OR

GOAT FTMFW

Well, I think Ali could very well be the best heavyweight ever, but you have to factor Sugar Ray Robinson into the GOAT discussion. 85-0 with 69 knockouts to begin his career and a record of 128-1-2 at one point. Unbelievable.

PM5K
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Well, I think Ali could very well be the best heavyweight ever, but you have to factor Sugar Ray Robinson into the GOAT discussion. 85-0 with 69 knockouts to begin his career and a record of 128-1-2 at one point. Unbelievable.

IronMexican
03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
No one could beat a young Tyson.

resistanze
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
No one could beat a young Tyson.

'Cept Buster!

E20
03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Mike Tyson in an interview with Ali. Ali's reaction is pretty funny when Tyson comes out of nowhere. lol Tyson comes out at the 2:04 mark. They also mention Stallone before that (FTW)

nNo87JLWulA

Cry Havoc
03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I agree, at his best no one not even Ali could beat Tyson.

Maybe I'am just to young to have any knowledge of the other greats in boxing but watching Tyson fight... he would just straight up MURDER people.

I don't think Tyson ever fought a top 10 boxer. I don't know if he ever fought a top 50 boxer. Ali would be by FAR the best fighter Tyson has ever faced*.

* Lewis, Foreman, and Holyfield do not count, as they all beat Tyson down.

IronMexican
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Mike Tyson taught me how to fight. I just keep everything close to my body, and once I get close enough, fuck him up.

oJEkIZG2mrA

Sense
03-14-2009, 03:17 AM
Tyson would be too much for Ali.

Avitus1
03-14-2009, 04:17 AM
I think Tyson would get in close and merc out Ali.

“[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.”
-Mike Tyson

Creepn
03-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Joe Frazier did put a whooping on Ali though and he's a brute like Mike Tyson.

Young Tyson is legend. Thats all there is to it.

Fernando TD21
03-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Looks like a cool game. gwMYNAsDuTI

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2009, 04:34 AM
if tyson could get close to him, then ali wont even stand a chance

even if tyson has ali against teh ropes...he will keep on pounding him....

Vinnie_Johnson
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Back in his day when he had Cust or Rooney training him Mike was the baddest man alive. I would have put my money on that Mike over anyone.

johnsmith
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Young Tyson had the most compact, hardest punch I've ever seen in my lifetime. I don't think Ali's rope a dope would be able to stand up to Tyson's punches.

jack sommerset
03-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Tyson was a freak in the 80's. But as history shows he never fought anyone and when he did, Tyson lost. You can make a little argument but in the end Ali would beat him.

Vinnie_Johnson
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Tyson was a freak in the 80's. But as history shows he never fought anyone and when he did, Tyson lost. You can make a little argument but in the end Ali would beat him.

What are you talking about? Tyson never fought anyone? Who didn't he fight?

Jan. 10 -- Dave Jaco, Albany, N.Y., TKO 1
Jan. 24 -- Mike Jamison, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 5
Feb. 16 -- Jesse Ferguson, Troy, N.Y., W DSQ 6
Mar. 10 -- Steve Zouski, Uniondale, N.Y., KO 3
May 3 -- James Tillis, Glen Falls, N.Y., W 10
May 20 -- Mitch Green, New York, W 10
June 13 -- Reggie Gross, New York, TKO 1
June 28 -- William Hosea, Troy, N.Y., KO 1
July 11 -- Lorenzo Boyd, Swan Lake, N.Y., KO 2
July 26 -- Marvis Frazier, Glen Falls, N.Y., KO 1
Aug. 17 -- Jose Ribalta, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 10
Sept. 6 -- Alfonzo Ratliff, Las Vegas, KO 2
Nov. 22 -- Trevor Berbick, Las Vegas, TKO 2
(Won WBC Heavyweight Title)

Mar.7 -- James Smith, Las Vegas, W 12
(Won WBA Heavyweight Title/Retained WBC Heavyweight Title)
May 30 -- Pinklon Thomas, Las Vegas, TKO 6
(Retained WBA/WBC Heavyweight Titles)
Aug. 1 -- Tony Tucker, Las Vegas, W 12
(Won IBF Heavyweight Title/Retained WBA/WBC Heavyweight Titles/Became Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion)
Oct. 16 -- Tyrell Biggs, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 7
(Retained Undisputed World Heavyweight Title)

Jan. 22 -- Larry Holmes, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 4
Mar. 21 -- Tony Tubbs, Tokyo, Japan, TKO 2
June 27 -- Michael Spinks, Atlantic City, N.J., KO 1

Feb. 25 -- Frank Bruno, Las Vegas, TKO 5
July 21 -- Carl Williams, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 1

Cry Havoc
03-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Young Tyson had the most compact, hardest punch I've ever seen in my lifetime. I don't think Ali's rope a dope would be able to stand up to Tyson's punches.

Ali didn't use the rope until the Rumble in the Jungle, when he was long past his prime and nowhere near as fast as he was in the 60s. He made boxing the sweet science.

There is no way that Mike Tyson hit appreciably harder than George Foreman. No way. Faster? Sure. But Ali took on world class fighters and made them look silly just like Tyson did.

johnsmith
03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Ali didn't use the rope until the Rumble in the Jungle, when he was long past his prime and nowhere near as fast as he was in the 60s. He made boxing the sweet science.

There is no way that Mike Tyson hit appreciably harder than George Foreman. No way. Faster? Sure. But Ali took on world class fighters and made them look silly just like Tyson did.

I think you are right actually. I'm obviously not old enough to have seen Ali fight live, and all the clips and highlights seem to focus on the Foreman fight.

Cry Havoc
03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I think you are right actually. I'm obviously not old enough to have seen Ali fight live, and all the clips and highlights seem to focus on the Foreman fight.

Well, it was possibly the most intelligently fought match in history. Ali did exactly what he had to do to win, and showed why he's considered "The Greatest".

Ali in his prime in the 60s would have absolutely destroyed that George Foreman. He wouldn't have needed the rope to win. Ali would have come out and popped George with the jab until he couldn't see and then just annihilated him from every angle.

Tyson in his prime would likely have beat Foreman too, though, IMO. The problem is that Tyson's prime was so incredibly short, and he lost to a guy that was not even considered a threat.

jack sommerset
03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
What are you talking about? Tyson never fought anyone? Who didn't he fight?

Jan. 10 -- Dave Jaco, Albany, N.Y., TKO 1
Jan. 24 -- Mike Jamison, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 5
Feb. 16 -- Jesse Ferguson, Troy, N.Y., W DSQ 6
Mar. 10 -- Steve Zouski, Uniondale, N.Y., KO 3
May 3 -- James Tillis, Glen Falls, N.Y., W 10
May 20 -- Mitch Green, New York, W 10
June 13 -- Reggie Gross, New York, TKO 1
June 28 -- William Hosea, Troy, N.Y., KO 1
July 11 -- Lorenzo Boyd, Swan Lake, N.Y., KO 2
July 26 -- Marvis Frazier, Glen Falls, N.Y., KO 1
Aug. 17 -- Jose Ribalta, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 10
Sept. 6 -- Alfonzo Ratliff, Las Vegas, KO 2
Nov. 22 -- Trevor Berbick, Las Vegas, TKO 2
(Won WBC Heavyweight Title)

Mar.7 -- James Smith, Las Vegas, W 12
(Won WBA Heavyweight Title/Retained WBC Heavyweight Title)
May 30 -- Pinklon Thomas, Las Vegas, TKO 6
(Retained WBA/WBC Heavyweight Titles)
Aug. 1 -- Tony Tucker, Las Vegas, W 12
(Won IBF Heavyweight Title/Retained WBA/WBC Heavyweight Titles/Became Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion)
Oct. 16 -- Tyrell Biggs, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 7

Jan. 22 -- Larry Holmes, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 4
Mar. 21 -- Tony Tubbs, Tokyo, Japan, TKO 2
June 27 -- Michael Spinks, Atlantic City, N.J., KO 1

Feb. 25 -- Frank Bruno, Las Vegas, TKO 5
July 21 -- Carl Williams, Atlantic City, N.J., TKO 1

I was a HUGE Tyson fan back in the day. I grew up in Glens Falls NY. We were lucky enough to see him fight 3 pro fights at the Civic Center in that town before he hit it big. I still have a photo I took of him. He was freaken AWESOME.

That being said those fighters were not history making good. I'll give you Holmes but he was past his time when they fought. Way past his time. I am not taking anything away from Tyson.He fought who was there. He got beat by Douglas in his prime and it was pretty much downhill from there. I get he canned his trainer before the Douglas fight but thats his problem.

I'll take Ali anyday over Tyson.