PDA

View Full Version : Parker developing a 3 pointer?

VI_Massive
03-14-2009, 12:33 PM
He nailed two of them against LA. This has never been part of his game. Is he diversifying? Will this make him an even more dangerous scoring threat? Was it a complete anomaly?

Hooks
03-14-2009, 12:35 PM
He nailed two of them against LA. This has never been part of his game. Is he diversifying? Will this make him an even more dangerous scoring threat? Was it a complete anomaly?

Whenever he shoots the 3 I'm like " NOOOOO WTF ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? DON'T DO THAT!" But he makes them occasionally so I'm happy with that. It's like his jump shot a few years ago when he couldn't shoot for crap. It will take some time before he gets good at it. Once he gets it down he's going to very hard to stop.

Trimble87
03-14-2009, 12:36 PM

from what I understand parker works on his 3 point shot every day after practice. If he can ever get it to be a consistent threat it will make him un-guardable.

Brazil
03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
TP already said that he needs a 3 pointer so yes he is trying to develop this part of his game. He tries to add something every year, next season we will see more TP 3 pts shooting.

Trimble87
03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Whenever he shoots the 3 I'm like " NOOOOO WTF ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? DON'T DO THAT!"

thats is almost the exact same thought I used to have for ginobli. When he would take those step back pump fake 3's with a hand right in his face... except it was more like "WTF, NOOOOO... WOOO GOOD SHOT!" As he usually makes them lol.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Anybody know what his percentage is? I'm not certain about this, but I've seen him make quite a few three pointers and he doesn't really attempt that many, so I'm thinking it could be very decent.

Trimble87
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
34% according to si.com

MaNuMaNiAc
03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
this season:.340%
career: .315 %
best season:.395%

not bad

is what I'm saying

tomtom
03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
if he can get 38-39% he'll be pretty deadly

VI_Massive
03-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Usually I have the panicked face and feeling when he shoots them even though he makes them once in a while, but in the LA game he was shooting them smoothly and confidently and looked great.

I think the best part about him developing that aspect of his game is that he'll have to be guarded all over the court. It seemed like teams would leave him alone unless he was inside the line.

Also, he seemed to fight to get past the three point line even when he had open 3s. Like some kind of "ahhh I can't shoot from here" thing. Hopefully this will make him more versatile.

The_Worlds_finest
03-14-2009, 12:49 PM
the past years he has stopped shotting threes...however in the finals in 07 he shot more...imo he will be shooting more 3s in the playoffs to add another angle for the opposing teams to make them play him closer from further out

jag
03-14-2009, 01:10 PM
He's been workin on his 3 for the past few years now...it just hasnt developed as well as his midrange j.
When he first came into the league he was shooting them quite regularly but he was pretty inconsistent. I think it's gonna be difficult for him to really work on that from game-to-game considering how many 3-point shooters the Spurs already have. There are other things the Spurs need from Tony right now, and his 3-point game just isn't a top priority.

sook
03-14-2009, 01:30 PM
what as that first season he made the all star team? I remember watching a game and was stunned , he stole the ball, faded to baseline to hit a 3, and did it again. He is a SOLID 3 pt shooter, its just he doesn't like to rely on it as much, if you notice, all the good players that like to drive in a lot don't like to shoot 3s. Kyle Lowry is the same. He will be WIDE open and he still won't take it even though he's at 33%

Manufan909
03-14-2009, 01:34 PM
The first one he shot I was mad at, but the 2nd was just beautiful. Why he couldn't have made at least 5-7 FTs, i don't know.

sananspursfan21
03-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Whenever he shoots the 3 I'm like " NOOOOO WTF ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? DON'T DO THAT!" But he makes them occasionally so I'm happy with that...

in the playoffs in 2007, i counted him swishing 5 3's. i always thought he was a decent shot at 3, i just never saw him take very many. i was one to always encourage it because the few times i saw him shoot them, they were dead on...... maybe it's just me

MoSpur
03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Lately, he has been good. If he can hit from the outside consistently whether from 18-20ft or a three-pointer, he will be even better than what he is now.

kace
03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
the % of tony's 3pts shooting could be very deceptive, but i don't know in which way.

he shoots very few 3's so there are two kind of 3's that could impact his FG % :

1- he often shoots VERY OPEN 3 since they are not his usual offensive weapon. he's often HAS to shoot these 3 because he's so wide open. they should be easy 3's and increase his %

2- he often shoots desperate 3 late in the clock or to end a quarter with very few time left. Here again, since the 3's are not his usual shot, he has to take them because the clock is nearly over. they are very difficult 3', almost desperate and deccrease his 3 pts FG %

so, i don't really know what 3 pts FG % tony would REALLY have if he shoot them more consistently.

Spursmania
03-14-2009, 02:02 PM
It's amazing to see how much Tony has developed as a PG over the years. I remember Pop yelling at him a lot at the beginning and his inconsistency. Year by Year he has developed that jumper, the aggression, now the consistency to do it night in and night out.

I still go, OMG, why are you shooting a 3-then he makes it, and I'm like DAMMNN, he's going to add that to his arsenal too? Yeah baby!

We are lucky to have him! GO TD,TP, and MANU the BIG 3 are going to bring LOB back home.

mVp
03-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Fluke shots! :lol

coachmac87
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I made a thread about this in the offseason...But people called me a dumbass and shit for even mentioning it. Because they said he should be focusing on what he is good at...

Well I say if he shoots the 3 ball and makes it with any consistency he will be unstoppable, and it will open up things even more...

But what can I say yall never listen to what I got to say most of the time.

coachmac87
03-14-2009, 02:25 PM
IF he ever gets a somewhat decent 3ball..Tony Parker could be almost MVP like, you could not guard the guy.

NFGIII
03-14-2009, 02:32 PM
At this point the 3 pt shot isn't a top priority but he will continue to work on it. Most of the 3's that I have seen lately were when the shot clock was winding down or we needed more points. I've just not seen it be a part of his arsenal unless absolutely neccessary. I'd rather see him penetrate and score/ penetrate and kick or hit the mid range J than jack up 3's.

At this point we have too many other shooters more capable of hitting 3's than Tony. Hopefully he will continue to develop this shot and be that much more of a threat in the future. Just not here now.

poop
03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
he used to shoot them all the time, dont know why he stopped. he was never a bad shooter IMO

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-14-2009, 03:24 PM
he used to shoot them all the time, dont know why he stopped. he was never a bad shooter IMO

yeah, I remember in his first years he'd take threes.
I think Pop wanted to strengthen his mid-range game while shelving his threes... and it proved to be a good idea,
Tony said last year Pop would let Tony include threes, and I think his percentage is pretty good this year.

benefactor
03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I think it's OK occasionally in certain situations...but I probably wouldn't want him taking one to win a playoff game. His midrange game is more reliable.

raspsa
03-14-2009, 06:32 PM
When he started working out with Chip, he stopped shooting 3s and focused on mid-range jumpshots. He used to shoot lots of 3s earlier in his career though. Now that his jumper has improved so apparently has his 3-point shot and I expect to see him attempt and make more. I'd like to see him make one per game.

VI_Massive
03-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree with a lot of what's been said here. Obviously Parker shouldn't focus on this aspect of his game, but the fact that he can step back or pull up and take a respectable three pointer makes him that much more of a threat and complete player. Just something else teams have to take into account.

For some reason I was surprised in the LA game because he shot them so smoothly, confidently, and successfully.

iggypop123
03-14-2009, 08:24 PM
anamoly. he just shot them cause the clock was running out and it was late in the game