PDA

View Full Version : So Far So Good(en)?

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 08:22 PM
He is doing a pretty good job on the boards and provides the team with a legit post threat that Thomas does not and Fab refuses to (even though he has the skills to do so) unless forced to by the shot clock winding down. When he gives a ball fake at the top of the key though, I hope he starts seeking out the open guys in the corner like we're used to seeing. I admire his aggressiveness taking it to the rack, but there are easier shots available. At least he got to the foul line on one of those drives.

usckk
03-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Gooden thread!

exstatic
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Gooden thread!

Damn, ya beat me to it.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Hope I'm not piling on, I know it's early and all, but I haven't been over-the-top regarding the signing so I figured I'd give him some props from the positives I've seen and get a little run-down of his game going.

HarlemHeat37
03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
2nd half: Gooden will go 0-10..

alchemist
03-14-2009, 08:39 PM
If he can keep this pace up this will definitely be a huge piece added, his post game is huge because Mason can just dump it to him and he'll go to work. When he learns the Spurs system it'll be even bigger since he'll know where the 3-point shooters are at at all times.

xtremesteven33
03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I like what i see. :tu

Pop saw how good the offense was doing around Gooden he decided to send Duncan back to the bench for an extra minute or two.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Not to take anything away from Drew, but I will retract my earlier statement that he gives the team a "post threat." The better word at this particular point anyway, and from what I've seen of him in the past, is "post option." Threat would indicate that he will be wreaking havoc on the blocks and getting guys into foul trouble regularly. What he can do is provide our offense with another dimension when Tim isn't out there so we aren't SO perimeter oriented.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 09:13 PM
VERY nice job on the boards tonight.

Marcus Bryant
03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Looks good tonight. Hitting the defensive boards. I can think of one defensive mistake he made but otherwise is playing well.

Juanobili
03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
looks good in silver and black

Thomas82
03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
looks good in silver and black

I would say so. BTW, I haven't seen that picture of Tyrone Hill (in your avatar) in years, probably since he still played for Cleveland.

The_Worlds_finest
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Gooden is the man!

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I like what i see. :tu

Pop saw how good the offense was doing around Gooden he decided to send Duncan back to the bench for an extra minute or two.

If he can keep rebounding well (particularly on the defensive end) and contributing on offense as he gets accustomed to the system, the extra time he gives Tim may equate to a few games and prevent him from having to be benched for games at a time due to his knees until AFTER we lock up a playoff birth.

jag
03-14-2009, 10:05 PM
The only reason you started this thread is cause you wanted to post this:

"So Far So Good(en)"

Mugen
03-14-2009, 10:06 PM

"So Far So Good(en)"

haha you beat me to it you bastard.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Alright, ALRIGHT....you got me, lol. :lol

:toast

EDIT: Got to admit though, it sure is catchy.

Marcus Bryant
03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Hit the J, showed some post moves and hit the glass. Nothing spectacular, but he's definitely a nice addition to this Spurs team. It's still way too early, but there is some evidence for the 'best case' scenario coming true.

TheDarkSide.
03-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Bonner's fucking out!

Gooden's fucking in!

Marcus Bryant
03-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I will say that for the most part he showed good court awareness and poise. He didn't rush things.

Marcus Bryant
03-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Naturally Bonner Dog brought down 10 boards tonight.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, when he did make passes they weren't being forced into traffic just to get the ball out of his hands and the pressure off his back. Just has to learn where the open guys are when he draws attention or penetrates through the lane, but I know that'll take time.

MarHill
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Hit the J, showed some post moves and hit the glass. Nothing spectacular, but he's definitely a nice addition to this Spurs team. It's still way too early, but there is some evidence for the 'best case' scenario coming true.

Yeah it's too early....

But he can give the 2nd unit (especially when Manu comes back) balance. Someone who can score in the post and if teams dbl-team then Manu can attack the rim or set-up for a jumper.

The Spurs will be so much more balanced and his extra minutes can help TD rest more during games and be fresher in the 4th quarter.

DrHouse
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
The real question is can he stop Gasol, Bynum, Odom?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Nice offensive game by Drew, decent on the boards, not too bad on D apart from a couple of lapses. Definitely a fine addition that improves our bench scoring and solidifies the boardwork. Let's hope he doesn't make too many crucial defensive mistakes.

As for this:

Fab refuses to (even though he has the skills to do so) unless forced to by the shot clock winding down.

...surely you're hallucinating! Fab has nice touch around the rim, and is a good interior passer, but he has no post game to speak of... in fact, those occasional backdown fadeaways he takes and almost always gets stuffed on are about the most cringe-worthy play that you'll see by any Spur! :lol

SouthTexasRancher
03-14-2009, 10:15 PM
A damn fine pickup for Pop and our SPURS. Gooden should do just fine when we roll into playoff territory. Hopefully we'll have Manu at full strength and maybe Tim gets to rest his knees (fewer minutes thanks to Drew) down the stretch so Timmy can be Timmy in the WC Finals at which time the La La Land Fakers can Kiss Our Rosey Red Asses!:monkey

MarHill

I guess we will find out in the WCF. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
Bonner's fucking out!

Gooden's fucking in!

No. Do you understand basketball? Gooden plays in the same spots as Tim, so starting him would reduce his effectiveness. He's ideal as the bench scoring big. Want to replace Bonner, go with KT.

Bonner may be streaky, although I would call him "matchup prone" - I think Pop should start Bonner against certain teams, and KT against others.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
As for this:

...surely you're hallucinating! Fab has nice touch around the rim, and is a good interior passer, but he has no post game to speak of... in fact, those occasional backdown fadeaways he takes and almost always gets stuffed on are about the most cringe-worthy play that you'll see by any Spur! :lol

Fab has the tools to be decent in the post, not a monster, but decent. He usually gets good position down low (that he knows not what to do with) and is good at using headfakes. Has a pretty good jumper when he's not fading as well.

MarHill
03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
No. Do you understand basketball? Gooden plays in the same spots as Tim, so starting him would reduce his effectiveness. He's ideal as the bench scoring big. Want to replace Bonner, go with KT.

Bonner may be streaky, although I would call him "matchup prone" - I think Pop should start Bonner against certain teams, and KT against others.

Yep!

And Bonner is a bad matchup against the Lakers.

TheDarkSide.

I've watched it a couple times, bout it.

Marcus Bryant
Considering that he's joined the team 3/4ths of the way in to this season, he's done very well so far.

Of course, that's all of nineteen minutes over two games. He definitely will change the complexion of the frontcourt, for the better.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM

No, the question is can he hinder Odom - he doesn't have to stop him, just contain him. Answer: maybe, the jury is out.

Tim/KT will play Gasol, and we won't see Bynum again this season.

texbound
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM

"So Far So Good(en)"

Hmmm, Why am I thinking I'll wake up and see "So far so Good(en)" by Jeff McDonald tomorrow?

Bender
03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Alright, ALRIGHT....you got me, lol. :lol

:toast

EDIT: Got to admit though, it sure is catchy.

maybe mcdonald will use it for his game article tomorrow

edit: dammit!! texbound beat me to it

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
maybe mcdonald will use it for his game article tomorrow

If he does, I'LL SUE....Kori and Timvp will help with the whole copyright infringement deal. :king

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Fab has the tools to be decent in the post, not a monster, but decent. He usually gets good position down low (that he knows not what to do with) and is good at using headfakes. Has a pretty good jumper when he's not fading as well.

No. Fab is absolutely ground bound which makes his headfakes useless (he gets blocked under the rim unless he's on the move and has lost his man), and he has no hook shot, no drop-step I've ever seen, no up and under, and no fade-away - that is what you do in the post. I am a post player myself, and a student of the post game, and I reckon I could score more fro mthe low block than Fab could at this stage in his career. He's a serviceable big, but he doesn't have "the tools to be decent in the post".

Oh, and his jumper was decent back in 2007, haven't seen him hit one since.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
No, the question is can he hinder Odom - he doesn't have to stop him, just contain him. Answer: maybe, the jury is out.

Agreed. No one is going to shut down those guys (particularly the 1st two, have to hope Odom tries to overdue it come playoff time and play his team out of games like we're accustomed to seeing), but if we can make things tough on them that's all anyone can ask for. Like Thomas, Gooden isn't afraid to get a bit physical, which helps.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Drew Gooden made Luis Scola look like a chump tonight.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 10:29 PM
and we won't see Bynum again this season.

You sure about that?

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 10:29 PM
No. Fab is absolutely ground bound which makes his headfakes useless (he gets blocked under the rim unless he's on the move and has lost his man), and he has no hook shot, no drop-step I've ever seen, no up and under, and no fade-away - that is what you do in the post. I am a post player myself, and a student of the post game, and I reckon I could score more fro mthe low block than Fab could at this stage in his career. He's a serviceable big, but he doesn't have "the tools to be decent in the post".

Oh, and his jumper was decent back in 2007, haven't seen him hit one since.

Ground bound he is, I'll give you that. Still think he has the tools to be decent in the post, but that's not his game. The moves you mentioned are developed, the main tools he has are his size and his ability to get good position around the rim (which makes his headfake somewhat useful). He barely takes any jumpers to hit them, but his shot is still decent.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Drew Gooden made Luis Scola look like a chump tonight.

They could be brothers - their games are very similar. Both post threats with reliable mid-range jumpers, good rebounders, poor defenders.

BTW, no need to wreck the ohms, they're only aggressive when provoked. ;)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
You sure about that?

Pretty sure, yeah. You got info to share?

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Pretty sure, yeah. You got info to share?

All reports have him coming back before the playoffs. Do you got info to share?

tomtom
03-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Gooden looks good so far, its too bad bonners been looking pretty lost lately

SouthTexasRancher
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM

Yes because when we get Manu back the equation changes drastically! Phil & Kobe know this as well. I want both teams healthy and at full strength. Then nobody can argue who the better team is. Either way the West wins the championship this year!

Oh, btw...this is an ODD #'ed year!

Spur-Addict
03-14-2009, 10:46 PM

No, it isn't. Few players can flat out shut down good bigs. The question is, can he do a good job on them? Also, can he add depth, can he rebound, and can he stretch the floor while doing all of this? Can he add a post option while Tim isn't present? Bottom line is, he's an upgrade, and if we're healthy, the upgrades he brings can be just enough to hold up in the long run. His athletic ability is something we've needed on the frontline.

He will only improve from now till the end of the season.

Rapper
03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
"Good" definitely played well tonight

exstatic
03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
All reports have him coming back before the playoffs. Do you got info to share?

You learned nothing from last year, did you? You usually don't announce that a key player is done for the season when playoff tickets are about to go on sale.

timvp
03-14-2009, 10:57 PM
In his career, Gooden has played like he suffers from an extreme case of ADD. In his 20 minutes for the Spurs, he appears to be locked in mentally.

Let's hope that this continues and it's a result of playing with a more professional and businesslike team.

peskypesky
03-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, I was one of the ones who had a near-orgasm when Gooden signed with the Spurs....and so far, I am really liking what I'm seeing. He is EXACTLY the player I thought he was. He is a post presence, plain and simple.

benefactor
03-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't think its as much about stopping them as it is about him just playing his game and contributing with his strengths. Keeping those guys off the offensive glass with his rebounding and helping with the scoring droughts when Duncan is not on the floor is bigger than any defensive impact he will make. If he can just get in the way and not get ran over and not pick up silly fouls then that will be enough IMO. Anything extra is just gravy.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:01 PM
You learned nothing from last year, did you? You usually don't announce that a key player is done for the season when playoff tickets are about to go on sale.

So in other words you have no clue and are just making things up. Cool thanks for sharing.

peskypesky
03-14-2009, 11:02 PM

He's not playing one-on-one you idiot.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:03 PM

At the same time?! That's an awful lot to ask isn't it?

The best thing about it is that it's a numbers game now. Duncan, Gooden, Thomas, Oberto, & Bonner vs. Bynum, Gasol, Odom . . . uh, Diop? & who gives a shit. Tim got outplayed by Gasol Thursday. That should never happen again. I'm not convinced that Bynum is a big concern yet. He's really only had like one good year out of three. It's getting late to bring him back and expect him to be 100%. He's not going to adapt as easily as a veteran player.

The main thing for the Spurs is getting Manu back soon, obviously. However, a lot of our issues with the Lakers are psychological. It's more about aggression, intimidation & momentum.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Of course Gooden was a good pickup for the spurs. I mean come on look at the spurs bigs other than Duncan. I still don't think this will change the rebound advantage that the Lakers had in last years playoffs and continue to still hold.

exstatic
03-14-2009, 11:08 PM
So in other words you have no clue and are just making things up. Cool thanks for sharing.

...or the Lakers are. Thanks for playing.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I think I said Diop, when I meant Mbenga. Even Worse.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Of course Gooden was a good pickup for the spurs. I mean come on look at the spurs bigs other than Duncan. I still don't think this will change the rebound advantage that the Lakers had in last years playoffs and continue to still hold.

We're not asking him to totally tip the scale regarding rebounding but to contribute to the battle on the boards which he is proving he can do. Hopefully his efforts will become contagious as well and help to make up for any size advantages the Lakers may have (mainly if Bynum is able to make it back). Regardless, it's nice to see a guy in Silver & Black not only get on the defensive boards, but do so with Yao Ming on the floor.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:14 PM

We shall see. But I love how spur fans have to pin their playoff hopes on the Lakers being injured.

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:16 PM
We shall see. But I love how spur fans have to pin their playoff hopes on the Lakers being injured.

We do? LOL, who are you kidding?

GabeIsGone
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Almost all reports coming out actually say that he will be back, i havnt seen a single one in a while (month+)saying that he is not coming back. How effective he will be however is yet to be seen, but just his 7' presence on the floor is a contribution in itself, especially with duncan not 100%.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Not to turn this thread into anything more than a basketball discussion, BUT:

I'm a Seahawks fan myself and the Blue & Green don't mesh to well with Purple & Gold. At some point you should lose the avatar or change names....and teams for that matter.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:19 PM
We're not asking him to totally tip the scale regarding rebounding but to contribute to the battle on the boards which he is proving he can do. Hopefully his efforts will become contagious as well and help to make up for any size advantages the Lakers may have (mainly if Bynum is able to make it back). Regardless, it's nice to see a guy in Silver & Black not only get on the defensive boards, but do so with Yao Ming on the floor.

spurs won't beat the Lakers if they get outrebounded, it's as simple as that. I was actually shocked that the Lakers were able to outrebound them last year. Gooden helps but they needed a player more like Camby or somebody like that. But I do agree that if Mason and Hill were the ones being asked for it was to steep.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:20 PM

That's absolutely untrue. In a perfect world I would like to see both teams healthy in the WCF. If you are insinuating that Lakers fans aren't concerned about Manu Ginobili's health, you are either a fool or a liar. Your pick.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Not to turn this thread into anything more than a basketball discussion, BUT:

I'm a Seahawks fan myself and the Blue & Green don't mesh to well with Purple & Gold. At some point you should lose the avatar or change names....and teams for that matter.

Actually silver and black are raider colors and no self respecting Seahawk fan would ever sport raider colors. :nope

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Camby isn't walking through that door, but we do know that getting Manu back and having Gooden come the postseason should definitely cut down on the oppositions offensive boards so we're not so spent on defense.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:24 PM
That's absolutely untrue. In a perfect world I would like to see both teams healthy in the WCF. If you are insinuating that Lakers fans aren't concerned about Manu Ginobili's health, you are either a fool or a liar. Your pick.

Bigs > Guards

Which is one of the reasons why I do believe Duncan is a better player than Kobe. Fact is a healthy Bynum is much more of a nightmare matchup to the spurs then a healthy Manu is to the Lakers. This is based on the matchups and weaknesses of our respective teams.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Actually silver and black are raider colors and no self respecting Seahawk fan would ever sport raider colors. :nope

The Raiders are not only in another conference now but they are virtyually non-existent. Besides, that rivalry was before my time as a fan. I started rooting for the Hawks just about the time the NFL did its realignments.

DrHouse
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
The Spurs are gonna be a tough out IMHO. There is no guarantee the Lakers will win the series.

Still too much depends on the health of their Big 3. It's doubtful Duncan will be 100% by the WCF, he's playing through pain right now and he needs months of rest to really start healing. The Spurs will need him to dominate the paint on both ends. And then Ginobili is trying to come back from another ankle injury. It's a tall order to ask both of those guys to play at the top of their game with the injuries they have.

The Lakers have their own injuries, but they have shown that they don't NEED Bynum the way the Spurs need Ginobili in order to play at a high level. They can afford to integrate Bynum back in slowly and let him find his way again. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the Lakers.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Manu is a wild card, though. There are no surprises coming from Bynum. You know what to expect. It is merely a problem of execution. You can't prepare for Ginobili.

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Bigs > Guards

So:

Ewing, Dream, Robinson > Jordan? :lol

Fact is a healthy Bynum is much more of a nightmare matchup to the spurs then a healthy Manu is to the Lakers.

A healthy Manu is >>> a healthy Bynum representative of each teams needs and the impact they both have on said teams.

This is based on the matchups and weaknesses of our respective teams.

Bynum takes away from the games of Odom and Gasol while Manu in the lineup takes away from who? Finley, no problem there.

xtremesteven33
03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
The Spurs are gonna be a tough out IMHO. There is no guarantee the Lakers will win the series.

Still too much depends on the health of their Big 3. It's doubtful Duncan will be 100% by the WCF, he's playing through pain right now and he needs months of rest to really start healing. The Spurs will need him to dominate the paint on both ends. And then Ginobili is trying to come back from another ankle injury. It's a tall order to ask both of those guys to play at the top of their game with the injuries they have.

The Lakers have their own injuries, but they have shown that they don't NEED Bynum the way the Spurs need Ginobili in order to play at a high level. They can afford to integrate Bynum back in slowly and let him find his way again. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the Lakers.

One of the most overrated things i hear concerning the Lakers is their "depth". They have decent players but no one who is a veteran who can handle pressure situations. Basically no one that puts any serious concern to the opposing teams. Farmar? Vujacic? Powell? Ariza?

Once Manu comes back, the "depth" factor goes the the Spurs.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:29 PM
The Raiders are not only in another conference now but they are virtyually non-existent. Besides, that rivalry was before my time as a fan. I started rooting for the Hawks just about the time the NFL did its realignments.

Ohhhh you're a new fan. I realize that the Seahawks run of success has coincided with their move to the NFC, but come on you should have some more respect for the history of the Seahawks and their old AFC West rivalries and hatreds.

Buddy Holly
Though I do love that nervous Lakers fans are on here at 11:30 PM (central) to talk about the Spurs after a Spurs game.

Spurs Brazil
Let's hope that this continues and it's a result of playing with a more professional and businesslike team.

And also playing for a new contract

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:31 PM

Of course the spurs are gonna be a tough out for any team. But I guarantee that if they get outrebounded like they did last year they will lose. The spurs must win the battle of the boards to beat the Lakers.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Ohhhh you're a new fan. I realize that the Seahawks run of success has coincided with their move to the NFC, but come on you should have some more respect for the history of the Seahawks and their old AFC West rivalries and hatreds.

Well, as bad as the West has been in BOTH conferences lately (and how dominant our line was in '05) our run of success might've come anyway...just our time. The Spurs represent the colors the right way. They are the first team I think of when I think of those colors.

Buddy Holly
Of course the spurs are gonna be a tough out for any team. But I guarantee that if they get outrebounded like they did last year they will lose. The spurs must win the battle of the boards to beat the Lakers.

Well, with the addition of Gooden and Hill to this roster, the rebounding will have improved, however, the Spurs don't need to win the battle for rebounds to win just keep it close. Like they did last year against the Hornets.

Purple & Gold
Though I do love that nervous Lakers fans are on here at 11:30 PM (central) to talk about the Spurs after a Spurs game.

Who's nervous. And I thought we were talking about the Lakers vs spurs matchup. Guess I didn't realize we were only talking about the spurs :huh

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:35 PM

Well, that . . . and not give up 20 pt leads.

DrHouse

The issue is still points in the paint. The Lakers continue to outscore the Spurs in that department and hold a decisive edge in 2nd chance points.

Until that dynamic changes the series will go to LA. In the 3 matchups so far LAL has dominated the paint.

Buddy Holly
No, you're talking Lakers ball in a thread created to discuss Gooden.

The sweat of worry on your face needs to be wiped off.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Hence the reason for this thread.

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Until that dynamic changes the series will go to LA. In the 3 matchups so far LAL has dominated the paint.

And how many featured Manu?

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:38 PM
The issue is still points in the paint. The Lakers continue to outscore the Spurs in that department and hold a decisive edge in 2nd chance points.

I think the Spurs have the bodies now to clear the paint on offense and let Manu & Tony go to work inside.

benefactor
03-14-2009, 11:40 PM

This should come down with the addition of Gooden...along with the battle for the boards being much closer. I think if we lose the points in the paint battle but but keep from getting dominated there, we can win a series against LA if Gooden has the impact stated above.

Danny.Zhu
03-14-2009, 11:41 PM

No, he can't.

But Laker big men cannot stop Gooden either.

spurtech09
03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
gooden played pretty good

Kamala
03-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm all for more spurs with headbands and arm wraps. Now he needs to grow that little chongo on the back of his head.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:45 PM
So:

Ewing, Dream, Robinson > Jordan? :lol

Of course there are some exceptions. But I guarantee you that if the Dream was on those Bulls teams of the nineties he would also have 6 rings. And please don't tell me you're comparing Manu with Jordan.

A healthy Manu is >>> a healthy Bynum representative of each teams needs and the impact they both have on said teams.

But not on the impact they have against the other team. Basketball is a game of matchups. Bynum adds even more size and strength in the paint against an already undersized spurs team. If you can't notice that I really don't know what to tell you. The Lakers have multiple players they can throw at Manu and TP while playing Duncan somewhat straight up and when doubling being able to do it with a PF that really has no need to guard Bonner, Oberto, Gooden or whoever else you have playing next to Duncan. Gooden is an upgrade but not as much as is needed.

Bynum takes away from the games of Odom and Gasol while Manu in the lineup takes away from who? Finley, no problem there.

Wrong Bynum does not take away from the game of Gasol. He actually makes Gasol a more dangerous player with Gasol's polished passing. Odom yes because of pure minutes and who he's on the floor with, but Odom was never gonna be the difference maker against the spurs. And the Lakers gameplan doesn't revolve around his "game".

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:47 PM
No, you're talking Lakers ball in a thread created to discuss Gooden.

The sweat of worry on your face needs to be wiped off.

The topic changed awhile ago please try to keep up.

peskypesky
03-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Whatever. It's called levelling the playing field after that completely bogus-bullshit trade of Kwame Brown for Gasol.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I think you're wrong. Odom should be a difference maker against the Spurs because he is a difficult match up for us, but neither he or Phil Jackson can figure out how to make that happen with any kind of consistency.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Well, as bad as the West has been in BOTH conferences lately (and how dominant our line was in '05) our run of success might've come anyway...just our time. The Spurs represent the colors the right way. They are the first team I think of when I think of those colors.

Like I said a new fan. But welcome to the Seahawks fanbase :toast

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I think you're wrong. Odom should be a difference maker against the Spurs because he is a difficult match up for us, but neither he or Phil Jackson can figure out how to make that happen with any kind of consistency.

Odom can't figure out how to make it happen with any kind of consistency.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Like I said a new fan. But welcome to the Seahawks fanbase :toast

Well, I joined the fanbase about 10 years ago if you can call that new. I guess it's new by old standards? Sorry, I had to take that shot while it was open, lol. Thanks for the welcome, I guess.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:52 PM

I agree. I just think they are pretty much interrelated. Those second chance points they give up and lack of second chance points is a killer for the spurs.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
I agree. I just think they are pretty much interrelated. Those second chance points they give up and lack of second chance points is a killer for the spurs.

Hence the reason for the thread.

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
The topic changed awhile ago please try to keep up.

Yeah because another nervous Lakers fan needed to post something about the Lakers. Try to keep up.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Hence the reason for this thread.

Well, with the addition of Gooden and Hill to this roster, the rebounding will have improved, however, the Spurs don't need to win the battle for rebounds to win just keep it close. Like they did last year against the Hornets.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
And?

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah because another nervous Lakers fan needed to post something about the Lakers. Try to keep up.

:lol @ nervous

Purple & Gold
03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
And?

Actually that was for Buddy Holly

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
:lol @ nervous

Worried?

Doubting?

All of the above work.

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:58 PM

You posted two Spurs fans discussing the Spurs. Cool.

What was the point again?

Did you think quoting those two posts somehow related to Lakers fans posting on a Spurs board at midnight trying to reassure themselves they're a better team in their own heads?

DrHouse
03-14-2009, 11:59 PM
There's no denying Gooden looked good tonight. What surprised me was how comfortable he seemed on the floor, outright calling for the ball several times as if he has been on the team for years. That's exactly what you'd want to see from a new addition.

NewJerSpur
03-14-2009, 11:59 PM

Oops, sorry.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, I joined the fanbase about 10 years ago if you can call that new. I guess it's new by old standards? Sorry, I had to take that shot while it was open, lol. Thanks for the welcome, I guess.

Well being that I've been a Seahawk fan since I was 5 yeah I would call it new. But np and I will be changing my avatar since Peterson got traded. Good trade I might add.

NewJerSpur
03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Buddy does have a bit of a point about the nervousness/worrying though.

NewJerSpur
03-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Well being that I've been a Seahawk fan since I was 5 yeah I would call it new. But np and I will be changing my avatar since Peterson got traded. Good trade I might add.

Definitely. A player on the decline for a player to strengthen the line AND a 5th rounder....nice job Ruskell.

DrHouse
03-15-2009, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't call it nervousness.

Really my life doesn't change from what happens in a basketball game. I've managed to disassociate myself from that kind of fandom a long time ago. I watch purely for my own entertainment..

Purple & Gold
03-15-2009, 12:03 AM
You posted two Spurs fans discussing the Spurs. Cool.

What was the point again?

Did you think quoting those two posts somehow related to Lakers fans posting on a Spurs board at midnight trying to reassure themselves they're a better team in their own heads?

A bit defensive aren't you?? You sure you aren't projecting a bit?

Buddy Holly
03-15-2009, 12:04 AM
A bit defensive aren't you?? You sure you aren't projecting a bit?

Nope, just stating observations obvious to us all.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Buddy does have a bit of a point about the nervousness/worrying though.

Not at all. There's just usually good basketball discussion and fun trash talking. Even I can admit that this forum is better than any Laker forum.

NewJerSpur
03-15-2009, 12:06 AM

Really my life doesn't change from what happens in a basketball game. I've managed to disassociate myself from that kind of fandom a long time ago. I watch purely for my own entertainment..

Honestly, I haven't gotten to that "disassociation" point in my life just yet...seriously, lol. I actually have to watch most sporting events alone because of it.

And I didn't mean that your life hinges on what the Spurs do, nor your own team for that matter, but in sports terms our moves and cohesion might be causing a bit of unrest in Laker land....hence the attempts to temper our enthusiasm about Gooden. Just my opinion.

NewJerSpur
03-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Not at all. There's just usually good basketball discussion and fun trash talking. Even I can admit that this forum is better than any Laker forum.

NOOOOW we're getting somewhere :lol.

I know you guys have as much respect for our team as we have for yours so at the end of the day it's all good....as long as disrespect isn't brought into the equation.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Nope, just stating observations obvious to us all.

Wow since your full of clairvoyance and so in tune with what others think please tell us all how to fix the economy and what the fuck was going through Bush's head these last 8 years.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
NOOOOW we're getting somewhere :lol.

I know you guys have as much respect for our team as we have for yours so at the end of the day it's all good....as long as disrespect isn't brought into the equation.

Agree it's just fun to trash talk. No fun going to a Kings board and trashtalking them. I just laugh everytime somebody says why are you even on a spurs site. Like if they haven't noticed that there is a very active NBA, political, etc. forum and the owners are lax with their rules.

jag
03-15-2009, 12:20 AM

Call me crazy..but i don't really see yall as being "nervous." You're just aware.

The Lakers are in a position of control right now when it comes to the WC.

When the roles were reversed and the Spurs were on top i wasn't necessarily worried or nervous, i was just aware that teams like the Suns and Mavs could be a really tough out.

The Spurs will be the underdogs if they meet the Lakers in the WCF...and the Spurs are the ones with something to prove.

NewJerSpur
03-15-2009, 12:27 AM
WELL THEY BETTER BE WORRIED....I was too nice in my last post, got to turn the flame back up a notch, lol.

angelbelow
03-15-2009, 02:15 AM

why?

NFGIII
03-15-2009, 02:32 AM

Agreed. Hopefully Gooden can change that with his ability to rebound. If he can do that agianst the Lakers then their ability to get second chance points is reduced. All season long the Spurs have given up too many second chance points to the opposition. If not then the edge will be with the Lakers. Face it guys we can't beat them with heroic efforts all the time. Fundamental aspects of BB do come into play and if we don't limit second chance points through deffensive rebounds then eventually the series will be won by the Lakers.

Call me crazy..but i don't really see yall as being "nervous." You're just aware.

The Lakers are in a position of control right now when it comes to the WC.

When the roles were reversed and the Spurs were on top i wasn't necessarily worried or nervous, i was just aware that teams like the Suns and Mavs could be a really tough out.

The Spurs will be the underdogs if they meet the Lakers in the WCF...and the Spurs are the ones with something to prove.

Good point. In the past when we were the top dog I was aware that certain teams were capable of beating us but needed a tremendous effort in order to get it done. As of now I think the Lakers are in the same position. The Spurs have the ability to beat them but need all the pieces to be in place. As of now they are not. Time will tell.

Stay tuned for further developments.

All said I hope both teams are at full strength so we can really see who is better. It is really boring to read all the BS from both sides about how this or that team hasn't a chance and why this team or that team is so superior.

Manufan909
03-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Honestly, I haven't gotten to that "disassociation" point in my life just yet...seriously, lol. I actually have to watch most sporting events alone because of it.

And I didn't mean that your life hinges on what the Spurs do, nor your own team for that matter, but in sports terms our moves and cohesion might be causing a bit of unrest in Laker land....hence the attempts to temper our enthusiasm about Gooden. Just my opinion.

+1 I also still care way too much about whether or not the Spurs win or not. I also still think on occasion aobut the little things that could've happened differently so that the Spurs might have 1-3 more titles, even though it means zero in my reality.:bang