PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Can The Spurs Beat L.A. In A Seven-Game Series?

2Cleva
03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Can The Spurs Beat L.A. In A Seven-Game Series?
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

You still have to give the Lakers a big edge. I don't think there's any question about that.

They've been the class of the West, and even without Bynum, they probably have the edge. But I've believed all season long and before the season started that the Spurs were the one team that could keep the Lakers out of the Finals.

The biggest issue for San Antonio is health. Manu's latest injury is to his other foot, the one he didn't have offseason surgery on. Duncan had to miss a few games because of his knee. I got to visit him recently and he basically said, "I'm not 100 percent, I know I'm not going to be 100 percent the rest of the year, so I'm going to have to deal with it."

So as well as Parker's playing, Duncan and Ginobili are not going to be 100 percent come the playoffs. So the question is, are they going to be healthy enough to do what they need to do?

It was clear last year. For the Lakers to win that series in five games, Ginobili was probably 50 percent efficiency, or maybe even less. That's how badly he was hurting.

The good thing for the Spurs is they're much deeper than they've been in the past. They're getting production now from Mason, who's really been the best free-agent addition that anyone has made; Bonner; even George Hill, the rookie, has made some contributions. And if they can get Gooden healthy, that was a really nice pickup, because they didn't have another low-post presence that can ease the load on Duncan.

If everyone is healthy or close to it, they probably have the deepest crew they've had maybe in the Duncan era. You can make that case.

The problem is the Lakers are deeper and better, too. Last year, the Lakers didn't have Ariza making the contributions we've seen from him this season. So even without Bynum, you have to make the Lakers the favorite in that series. We'll see if the Spurs' experience can even things out.

2Cleva
03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Gotta wonder how much even the Spurs experience is a factor being that LA beat SA last year and Mason, Hill, Bonner, and Gooden (4 of top 8 for SA) don't have that experience. And how much time would they have played together before the playoffs?

Ginobili will no doubt play in the postseason but will he be any better than last year?

VI_Massive
03-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Gotta wonder how much even the Spurs experience is a factor being that LA beat SA last year and Mason, Hill, Bonner, and Gooden (4 of top 8 for SA) don't have that experience. And how much time would they have played together before the playoffs?

Ginobili will no doubt play in the postseason but will he be any better than last year?

We've had a lot of close games this year though and all those guys except Gooden were there and played well in those. Especially Mason.

crc21209
03-15-2009, 11:23 AM
The lack of experience in the Playoffs against the Lakers by Gooden, Mason, Bonner, and Hill could actually help us. These guys may just go out there and play freely without thinking too much about everything. Them mixed with some veterans like TP, TD, Bowen...etc should be pretty good for this team come playoff time.

Borosai
03-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Experience is good. Talent is good. Health is vital.

We'll see what happens if the Spurs and Lakers meet in the playoffs, but right now, my prediction: Spurs in 3.

Duncan2177
03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Experience is good. Talent is good. Health is vital.

We'll see what happens if the Spurs and Lakers meet in the playoffs, but right now, my prediction: Spurs in 3.

I think you mean spurs in 4 a round is seven games.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM

With a totally healthy, vintage Manu and Duncan playing on good knees the Spurs can match up with the Lakers, even if they have Bynum. Looking unlikely the Spurs will come in fully loaded though.

Go For Tree
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I think you mean spurs in 4 a round is seven games.

i think you didnt pick up on the sacrcasim....:hat

InK
03-15-2009, 12:19 PM
We all know it's gonna be an uphill battle this year. We do have a chance, but its gonna be tough.

weebo
03-15-2009, 12:26 PM
W/O a healthy line up NO CHANCE.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Well Gooden was in the finals in 2007 so he has experience, but yes the experience factor won't be as much of an advantage for SA as last year.

But there have been so many changes to each team when you factor in injuries, roster moves, and experience that basing it off 2008 is illogical, only thing to base this series off is the 2009 season, so currently LA has the edge.

rayray2k8
03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
The spurs are never the favorites in the post season, so this is not surprising,
nor do I care what these "expert" analysis have to say since they're always
on the lakers, cavs and celtics dick... :rolleyes

DrHouse
03-15-2009, 12:43 PM
One thing I know for sure is that if the Spurs make it to the Finals they are your 2009 NBA champs.

There is no way on earth they are losing to the fucking Celtics or the Cavs. They will mop the floor with both of these teams. No doubt about that in my mind.

usckk
03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
One thing I know for sure is that if the Spurs make it to the Finals they are your 2009 NBA champs.

There is no way on earth they are losing to the fucking Celtics or the Cavs. They will mop the floor with both of these teams. No doubt about that in my mind.

History agrees with you Dr. House.

EricB
03-15-2009, 12:54 PM

I agree.

The Celtics have taken a significant step backwards this year, and the Cavaliers are the Cavaliers.

Its Spurs Lakers for the WOrld Championship.

Pretty much like its been for all of the 2000's save for 2006

George Gervin's Afro
03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen anything up to this point in the season that leads me to to believe the spurs could beat the lakers in the playoffs.

anonoftheinternets
03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I haven't seen anything up to this point in the season that leads me to to believe the spurs could beat the lakers in the playoffs.

true but did u see anything in the 2007 regular season, when the cavs swept the spurs 2007? only for the spurs to return the favour in the POs? .....

or when dallas demolished every team on its way to 67 wins in 2007? .... PO's are PO's .... i think lakers are clear favs to win, but spurs have played very well this year with a lot of injury woes. This makes for an exciting post season and I can't wait.

Last year, I expected every game to be a blowout once I knew ginobili was injured, but they played 3 quarters of every game well, but lost 1 decisive quarter each time. This year, with the additional depth, and "iff" ginobili gets to 80% and duncan gets 80% ..... i think it is going to be very intersting.

Also note that only LA and Spurs have a good road record out west. So for both these teams, road wins is not impossible. Which is why this year, the west is a two horse race.

Western W L PCT GB CONF DIV HOME ROAD
L.A. Lakers (http://www.nba.com/lakers/)1p 52 13 0.800 0.0 35-7 11-2 29-4 23-9
San Antonio (http://www.nba.com/spurs/)2 44 21 0.677 8.0 28-11 9-4 23-9 21-12

Mavs<Spurs
03-15-2009, 01:29 PM
true but did u see anything in the 2007 regular season, when the cavs swept the spurs 2007? only for the spurs to return the favour in the POs? .....

or when dallas demolished every team on its way to 67 wins in 2007? .... PO's are PO's .... i think lakers are clear favs to win, but spurs have played very well this year with a lot of injury woes. This makes for an exciting post season and I can't wait.

Last year, I expected every game to be a blowout once I knew ginobili was injured, but they played 3 quarters of every game well, but lost 1 decisive quarter each time. This year, with the additional depth, and "iff" ginobili gets to 80% and duncan gets 80% ..... i think it is going to be very intersting.

Also note that only LA and Spurs have a good road record out west. So for both these teams, road wins is not impossible. Which is why this year, the west is a two horse race.

Western W L PCT GB CONF DIV HOME ROAD
L.A. Lakers (http://www.nba.com/lakers/)1p 52 13 0.800 0.0 35-7 11-2 29-4 23-9
San Antonio (http://www.nba.com/spurs/)2 44 21 0.677 8.0 28-11 9-4 23-9 21-12

+ 1

Good points.

Harry Callahan
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
SA has a chance to win the west IF every key guy is relatively healthy. MG was really hurting last year with the ankle ligament. It just was not going to get better.

Giving MG all the time he needs before the playoffs to get as healthy as possible is the route they are taking. He will be fresher and not as beat up. The margin for error is probably pretty small for SA this year when it comes to the LAL. If this second ankle issue can clear up before April, they have a shot.

Last year, the Spurs had less depth, less confidence, and an injured Ginobili against LA. Their roster looks better to me, but if Ginobili and Duncan are not playing healthy and well, this year may be like last year.

SpursDynasty
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
The Lakers got us good last year, but as mentioned here, we didn't have the depth in a 4th legitimate scorer in Roger Mason and another post presence in Drew Gooden. Mason and Gooden and hopefully a stronger Manu will be the difference this year. Spurs in 5.

It's really about stopping Gasol...Kobe will always get his points. Bruce on Kobe. Duncan on Gasol, Gooden on Bynum.

td4mvp21
03-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Of course we can, we always have a chance. I just don't think we actually will.

2Cleva
03-15-2009, 01:37 PM

1. Dallas didn't play well against GS all year - and that's who knocked them out.

2. Dallas ain't LA. From coach, to tradition, to star player. No way LA makes those same mistakes.

Brazil
03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
A team with Tim Duncan has always a chance against any team in 7 games

Man In Black
03-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Dallas ain't LA. From coach, to tradition, to star player. No way LA makes those same mistakes.

Says the guy whose team he backs had already been pre-ordained twice before to win titles only to get supremely dumped on in the finals. Oh and look...they're pre-ordained yet again.
3rd times' the charm or is it the NEGATIVE 3PEAT?

duncan228
03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
A team with Tim Duncan has always a chance against any team in 7 games

I agree.

I just hope he can rise through the tendonosis this year like he's risen through injury before.

DrHouse
03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Since when did we all care what ESPN columnists think? They don't know anything.

I see a lot of Spurs fans bringing up 2007. Here's a little known fact about the 2007 Spurs. They had the highest margin of victory of any team in the league that year.

So contrary to popular belief, they should not have snuck up on anyone's radar. Maybe on the ESPN columnist's radar, but to anyone paying attention to what was going on it should have been clear the Spurs were one of the best teams in the regular season.

Spursmania
03-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Either the Lakers or the Spurs will be the 2009 Champions. Lakers have the advantage now.

Fact remains, the healthiest team will win the Championship.

Here's to health and hopefully a future match-up between the Spurs and the Lakers.:toast

SA210
03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Can The Spurs Beat L.A. In A Seven-Game Series?

With this lineup, YES

Duncan
Gooden
BRUCE BOWEN
Manu Ginobili
Parker

anonoftheinternets
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Since when did we all care what ESPN columnists think? They don't know anything.

I see a lot of Spurs fans bringing up 2007. Here's a little known fact about the 2007 Spurs. They had the highest margin of victory of any team in the league that year.

So contrary to popular belief, they should not have snuck up on anyone's radar. Maybe on the ESPN columnist's radar, but to anyone paying attention to what was going on it should have been clear the Spurs were one of the best teams in the regular season.

Well yeah, because Manu was 100% for the regular season, he had like 3 40+ games in a week, hit numerous game winners and had his career year. When they came into the playoffs, and 1 of the big 3 was injured, i knew it was a long shot. Lakers are better equipped to deal with injury to anyone not named Kobe and to a lesser extent gasol. And they are even stronger this year with improved play from ariza, bynum. But same goes for spurs, if manu and tim can play at 80% increased output from other spurs this year (see mason, bonner, gooden) makes this an awesome playoff battle, and not one in which spurs have no chance.

mabrignani
03-15-2009, 03:37 PM
i want both teams to be healthy so we can play each other and have the series of a decade

Allanon
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
The Lakers got us good last year

You're getting soft. That's disappointing.

Thomas82
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
with this lineup, yes

duncan
gooden
bruce bowen
manu ginobili
parker

+1

Borosai
03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
You're getting soft. That's disappointing.

:lol

SequSpur
03-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I think with the right line up and a controlled game start, the Spurs could do fine..

If they are going to start Bonner and spot teams 15 point margins in the first 5 minutes of every game, then good luck with that.

spursfan09
03-15-2009, 04:16 PM
ofcourse they can, but everything has to be perfect. And things are not perfect for the Spurs right now. Tim and Manu are hurt. Tony is playing great, but won't be enough.

mingus
03-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't know why "experts," keep saying LA is the clear favorite in the west - they are not. No one knows how they fair against a healthy SA, and until they can prove they beat a healthy Spurs team I'm going to suspend judgment.

It would have been a different series last year had the Spurs had probably their second best scorer playing healthy in situations where they were desperate for ppoints down the stretch. Game one is a perfect example of this. Spurs win game one AND get the bullshit no call on Barry and that series is 3-1.

Why everbody is conceding that LA is basically unbeatable is beyond me when they beat the Spurs with one their best players at 50% and got a bullshit call which should have been foul.

Add that the Spurs replaced shit reserves Vaughn and Horry with Hill/Gooden/Bonner.

LA needs to beat the Spurs w/ a healthy Manu to prove they are better than them.

As far as I can tell, they are only better than a Spurs team with a 50% Manu, which isn't all that impressive.

lefty
03-15-2009, 04:42 PM
- IF we are 100% healthy, we'll beat Lakers, no question

- IF we are 80% healthy, they'll kick our asses, no question

SA210
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
With this lineup, YES

Duncan
Gooden
BRUCE BOWEN
Manu Ginobili
Parker

And Pop's coaching.

Hopefully he won't be outcoached by Phil, again. Part of him being outcoached by Phil would include Pop Not going with this lineup. Phil would be proud.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-15-2009, 05:47 PM
The problem is that even if SA is fully healthy (which would be doubtful considering all the nagging injuries) their defense is still far too inconsistent.

All the injuries haven't allowed for a proper set rotation and with the playoffs just around the corner, I don't think this team will be where Pop wants them when the playoffs begin.

I'm not too worried about the big 3, but it's the role players who will be big question marks. I have no faith in Bonner to show up against the Lakers, Mason while great, can be inconsistent and makes a lot of silly fouls, and George Hill is great when he attacks the rim but that only happens every 3-4 games (plus he probably won't get a whole lot of playing time). I'm actually hoping Gooden can be the surprise X factor against the Laker bigs, and the Spurs can use Ginobili to even out the FT disparity since the Lakers attack the rim far more than SA does.

It's already bad enough Phil knows how to keep TP out of the lane (and if we're gonna spend an entire series with the Lakers depending on TP's jumpshot to carry us then forget about it, he's improved his J every year, but he'll need to be on fire from the perimeter the entire series if he can't get a high number of layups).

I think this current Spurs team has a ton of potential, but this Lakers team is easily the best of their post Shaq era.

And a point that Dr. House has brought up several times which will probably decide the series, is that the Spurs live and die by the 3, whereas the Lakers score very easily in the paint.

That stat alone could signal the entire outcome of the series.

Here's to hoping SA can get healthy and we can get one hell of a great matchup.

houston spurs fan
03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I was at the game last night, and wow,Gooden looks like a nice piece. If Manu can get healthy, obviously a big if, I think this might one of the deepest teams the Spurs have ever had, and could make a serious run and beat the Lakers

Spursmania
03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I was at the game last night, and wow,Gooden looks like a nice piece. If Manu can get healthy, obviously a big if, I think this might one of the deepest teams the Spurs have ever had, and could make a serious run and beat the Lakers
:tu Manu will be healthy and he will be back. Book it.

mytespurs
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM

I agree. At this point, you have to go with the Lakers. The Spurs have experience and championship pedigree/heart but with the unknown status of Manu's health, TD's health problems, I don't think the Spurs have enough to beat the Lakers.

And you have to consider this: the Lakers & Spurs may not even meet in a WC Final.....the Spurs could be eliminated before that happens. :wow
I hate to say this but while I'm a Spurs fan at heart, I'm a realist too.
I still love my Spurs though!! :thumb

NFGIII
03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
First priority is to get healthy.

Without a healthy Big 3 you can forget it.

MateoNeygro
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
anyone who thinks our Spurs will beat the Lakers in 5 games is smoking crack. If we beat the Lakers it will be a 7 game barn burner. They will not make it easy for us.

IronMexican
03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Anything is possible. But I'd have my money on LA. Maybe Pop can teach Gooden some D in 4 weeks.

SpursFanInAustin
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

I know the 2003 Spurs had "VERY" little playoff experience on some key contributors when they won the championship. Parker only had 1 year of playoff experience, Ginobili was a rookie that season, Stephen Jackson had never played in the playoffs until 2003, Speedy Claxton only played 1 year in the playoffs (5 gms in 2002) and they did better vs. the Lakers than the guys with the experience (Smith, Kerr, and Ferry).

superbigtime
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Spurs are going to have to have the stars aligned to beat the very deep Lakers, regardless of whether Bynum is healthy. If he is, it will be even more difficult. They are big and fast. Arriza is a huge problem. If Manu can get healthy, and if Tim is 85%, I think there is a decent chance of beating the Lakers in 6 games. If it goes to 7, no way in hell Spurs win in LA. Really, Manu needs to get healthy enough to play last 8 games or so of the regular season. Spurs will have an easier opponent in the 1st round than the Lakers. And home court as well. Just gotta hang on to the 2nd seed, I think it's VERY important this year.

aka_USAPA
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
The lack of experience in the Playoffs against the Lakers by Gooden, Mason, Bonner, and Hill could actually help us. These guys may just go out there and play freely without thinking too much about everything. Them mixed with some veterans like TP, TD, Bowen...etc should be pretty good for this team come playoff time.

That's too many players without experience. It's not going to happen. The Spurs are just too old, too injured, too slow, and too predictable for the Lakers. Plus, the Lakers didn't have Ariza and Bynum last year. If anything, I'm thinking the Hornets might be the team that will give the Lakers a lot of trouble.

Don Quixote
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
This season? Sure -- it's possible, but not very likely.

The Lakers have far superior talent, athleticism, and depth and should be able to handle Tim, Tony, and the rest that the Spurs can throw at them. This was amply demonstrated in the playoffs last year, has proven to be the case this year (the one lucky Spurs win notwithstanding), and should hold true this postseason.

Might I be wrong? Sure. It's possible. Hope I'm wrong. But if I were to gamble real American dollars, I'd put alot of them on the Lakers taking it in 5. Maybe 6.

BobEX
03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
The key is a healthy Manu and some time to get him back into the lineup. If Manu is 100% then the Spurs can compete with the Lakers; if not then the Spurs have no chance.

mytespurs
03-16-2009, 02:11 AM
I don't know why "experts," keep saying LA is the clear favorite in the west - they are not. No one knows how they fair against a healthy SA, and until they can prove they beat a healthy Spurs team I'm going to suspend judgment.

It would have been a different series last year had the Spurs had probably their second best scorer playing healthy in situations where they were desperate for ppoints down the stretch. Game one is a perfect example of this. Spurs win game one AND get the bullshit no call on Barry and that series is 3-1.

Why everbody is conceding that LA is basically unbeatable is beyond me when they beat the Spurs with one their best players at 50% and got a bullshit call which should have been foul.

Add that the Spurs replaced shit reserves Vaughn and Horry with Hill/Gooden/Bonner.

LA needs to beat the Spurs w/ a healthy Manu to prove they are better than them.

As far as I can tell, they are only better than a Spurs team with a 50% Manu, which isn't all that impressive.

While I agree they are not unbeateable (no team is), they did win the big games at home & on the road: twice against Boston, twice against Cleveland and they defeated the Spurs in their own building coming off a back to back. They are 53-13; tied with the Cavs with the best record in the league (but win the tiebreaker advantage). Those are the facts. So it is understandable why they are the favorites to win the NBA championship this year.

And I will also agree that the Spurs aren't as formidable with with Manu less than healthy most of the season-that is also fact.

But a healthy Spurs team vs. Lakers at this point-I'd have to take the latter.....I hope the Spurs prove me wrong!

der Kaiser
03-16-2009, 03:34 AM

He traveled before the foul and we were missing our shot blocking big man. At least 50% of your guy was there.

For those who think the Bowen is the difference than you must be on crack. Parker, Duncan and Ginobili are the Spurs bread and butter and they have to play balls out to win a Laker series. San Antonio is way to undemanned talent wise to have Duncan be played to a draw by Gasol. Or to have Parker be taken out by Phil. Without a doubt an unhealthy Ginobili would be disastrous.

The Spurs can compete and beat the Lakers if and only if the Spurs big three play like mad men.

ulosturedge
03-16-2009, 03:52 AM
I'll reserve my final judgement for when the regular season ends. But as it stands now the Lakers are clearly the better team. Hopefully a healthy Manu and a more polished Gooden can help tip the scales back in our favor. We will see..

03-16-2009, 05:55 AM
everything depends on tim duncan. if he shows that he's not afraid of the lakers and establishes a dominating post presence, then everyone else on the spurs will follow suit. i'm beginning to think playing the lakers is becoming a mental challenge for the spurs because they either blow huge leads or get blown out. all starts at tim duncan. he needs to dominate again and not shoot 42% against the lakers. in fact, i think duncan's 44.9% FG last year was his worst playoff performance ever.

Rapper
03-16-2009, 07:23 AM
absolutely

sammy
03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
1. Dallas didn't play well against GS all year - and that's who knocked them out.

2. Dallas ain't LA. From coach, to tradition, to star player. No way LA makes those same mistakes.

Portland seems to have the Lakers number so I wouldn't be surprised by an upset if they meet in the first round! This should be a cause for concern for the Lakers! Shades of Dallas/GS first round knockout!

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Portland seems to have the Lakers number so I wouldn't be surprised by an upset if they meet in the first round! This should be a cause for concern for the Lakers! Shades of Dallas/GS first round knockout!

Portland has everyone's number at home. I think they could maybe push LA to seven games, but unless they pull a miracle victory in LA, they would get beat.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 12:20 PM
everything depends on tim duncan. if he shows that he's not afraid of the lakers and establishes a dominating post presence, then everyone else on the spurs will follow suit. i'm beginning to think playing the lakers is becoming a mental challenge for the spurs because they either blow huge leads or get blown out.

Good points.

Im not one to say that mental hurddles hinder the Spurs but it does look as though they have those mental hurrdles when facing the Lakers.

Thers alot of battles scars with both teams. Thats why when you see them face each other you see the battle faces on Kobe and Derek every Spurs/Lakers game. Same goes with Tim,Tony,Bruce and Manu.

2002,2004 and 2008 are hard battles to forget for the Spurs. And it seems that Kobe and PJ are on thier best for every Spurs/Lakers game.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I'am positive I am in the minority here but with a healthy Manu (Key here being HEALTHY), this thing is a 50/50 shot. Question for Spurs fan here: How was Manu's health during the second meeting of the season (1/25/09). If Manu was already having issues with his leg/ankle/shin did we really defeat the Spurs at their best? I am still not that comfortable with these wins without a fully healthy Manu. Just an analysis and probing.

Of course I give the edge to the Lakers but somehow, someway, It bothers me. How will a Gooden, Manu, Parker, Duncan, Bonner.Oberto line-up really do at full, I mean full, 100% strength? I think the west is really under-estimating not only the Spurs but the Nuggets, blazers and hornets. Funnier things have happened.

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I'am positive I am in the minority here but with a healthy Manu (Key here being HEALTHY), this thing is a 50/50 shot. Question for Spurs fan here: How was Manu's health during the second meeting of the season (1/25/09). If Manu was already having issues with his leg/ankle/shin did we really defeat the Spurs at their best? I am still not that comfortable with these wins without a fully healthy Manu. Just an analysis and probing.

Of course I give the edge to the Lakers but somehow, someway, It bothers me. How will a Gooden, Manu, Parker, Duncan, Bonner.Oberto line-up really do at full, I mean full, 100% strength? I think the west is really under-estimating not only the Spurs but the Nuggets, blazers and hornets. Funnier things have happened.

If we had a fully healthy rotation that had been playing together for several months, then I think it would be a complete crapshoot against LA. If everyone's healthy but hasn't played together much (which is the best we SA fans can hope for) I think we have a 40% chance of beating LA.

4everSpurFan
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree. At this point, you have to go with the Lakers. The Spurs have experience and championship pedigree/heart but with the unknown status of Manu's health, TD's health problems, I don't think the Spurs have enough to beat the Lakers.

And you have to consider this: the Lakers & Spurs may not even meet in a WC Final.....the Spurs could be eliminated before that happens. :wow
I hate to say this but while I'm a Spurs fan at heart, I'm a realist too.
I still love my Spurs though!! :thumb

nuff said!! I'm hoping for the best but we have to wait and let it play out.

mingus
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
He traveled before the foul and we were missing our shot blocking big man. At least 50% of your guy was there.

For those who think the Bowen is the difference than you must be on crack. Parker, Duncan and Ginobili are the Spurs bread and butter and they have to play balls out to win a Laker series. San Antonio is way to undemanned talent wise to have Duncan be played to a draw by Gasol. Or to have Parker be taken out by Phil. Without a doubt an unhealthy Ginobili would be disastrous.

The Spurs can compete and beat the Lakers if and only if the Spurs big three play like mad men.

I haven't looked at whether it was traveling or not, but so what if it was? There are a million travels per game in the NBA that go uncalled - and they're especially evident when you have the luxary of seeing it slow motion. Fishers fouls was bullshit, though, because shit like that is called all the time, even when there's MUCH less contact. Fisher fouled Barry more way obviously than he fouled Mason on his 3-point play earlier this season. What bothers me is that it's completely incomprehensible that that foul wasn't called. It's not incromprehensible that Barry's travel wasn't called since shit like that is so hard to see to the naked eye - hence the fact why people were bringing it up AFTER they got to see it in slow motion.

mingus
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
People can try and predict things all they want, but the fact of the matter is la hasn't faced a spurs team with the addition of gooden (who looked studly against houston, and will not doubt be of big help) once, or faced a spurs tema with a healthy Manu more than twice (and it's tied 1-1 in that case).

mingus
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
No team has the upperhand on a healthy Spurs team.

easjer
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM

I think this LA fan has a point (only I refuse to give LA any edge). I think nearly everyone expects an epic battle between the two - and they are the two best in the West - but I think with the right combination either could be unseated before the WCF.

I really think Portland could be a surprise and this feels like a good year for Denver.

Regardless, there are a lot of ifs, ands, and buts that make it hard to predict. I'm not about to claim we can wipe the floor with LA, but I think it's a lot closer than a lot of people do. They certainly can win, if the right pieces fall into place, if they clamp down their defense and eliminate stupid mistakes and don't allow themselves to be rattled by the inevitable missed shots and bad calls.

easjer
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Or, put another way - I think it comes down to 2 factors. Health (out of their control, really) and mental toughness. Who has the most control and confidence here? If it's the Spurs, they win. If it's not, they lose.

jackseven
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
The most likely outcome is Lakers in 5/6 with Spurs fans conjuring more excuses about why the Spurs lost. Spurs fans will then "get 'em next year" and Pop and co. will come back with another bargain basement signing to string the fans along and keep the Spurs as a pretender.

I don't think the Spurs could beat the Cavs or the Celtics either.

dbestpro
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
The most likely outcome is Lakers in 5/6 with Spurs fans conjuring more excuses about why the Spurs lost. Spurs fans will then "get 'em next year" and Pop and co. will come back with another bargain basement signing to string the fans along and keep the Spurs as a pretender.

So, you lost everything in Vegas and have to live under a bridge and you still want to make projections.

jackseven
03-16-2009, 02:17 PM
So, you lost everything in Vegas and have to live under a bridge and you still want to make projections.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I think it has something to do with the truth and it hurting.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I think this LA fan has a point (only I refuse to give LA any edge). I think nearly everyone expects an epic battle between the two - and they are the two best in the West - but I think with the right combination either could be unseated before the WCF.

I really think Portland could be a surprise and this feels like a good year for Denver.

Regardless, there are a lot of ifs, ands, and buts that make it hard to predict. I'm not about to claim we can wipe the floor with LA, but I think it's a lot closer than a lot of people do. They certainly can win, if the right pieces fall into place, if they clamp down their defense and eliminate stupid mistakes and don't allow themselves to be rattled by the inevitable missed shots and bad calls.

Portland is better than most people give them credit for. They worry me as do the Spurs. I am not to concerned about the Nuggets or Hornets but one can never know.

Still gotta see Manu in action and at full strength. I am actually looking forward in seeing him play. The guy is too much of a heart-felt player to be missing out on the season. Sometimes I see him behind the Spurs bench and he's got the look of sheer desperation. I feel for the guy. I know he loves his team and wants nothing more than to battle. That's the Manu this Laker fan knows. The boy lives for ballin.

Well, hope he gets better.

SpursDynasty
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Someone tell Pop that taking Gasol out of the series offensively is the key.

Example: Winning the Hornets series wasn't about Paul or West, but taking Peja out.

Gasol wasn't unstoppable on the Grizzlies and that's no secret. I see him night after night getting easy bullshit shots and easy putbacks (Gooden will solve this problem) because of all the attention Kobe gets. Let Kobe get his points. Shut down Gasol instead of trying to shut Kobe down, him getting his points anyway, and Gasol getting 12-for-12 from the floor games due to the attention on Kobe.

Or sit TD in the first half of every game and bring him out in the 2nd half to have a monster game.

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Someone tell Pop that taking Gasol out of the series offensively is the key.

Example: Winning the Hornets series wasn't about Paul or West, but taking Peja out.

Gasol wasn't unstoppable on the Grizzlies and that's no secret. I see him night after night getting easy bullshit shots and easy putbacks (Gooden will solve this problem) because of all the attention Kobe gets. Let Kobe get his points. Shut down Gasol instead of trying to shut Kobe down, him getting his points anyway, and Gasol getting 12-for-12 from the floor games due to the attention on Kobe.

I agree, but its easier said than done. Gasol is a really, really good player, especially offensively. Added bonus is that if Gasol isn't producing, Kobe could try to win it by himself and the Lakers are much worse when he takes tons of shots.

NFGIII
03-16-2009, 02:34 PM

^

Portland has everyone's number at home. I think they could maybe push LA to seven games, but unless they pull a miracle victory in LA, they would get beat.

Which is the key. They are monsters at home but not so tough on the road. They are a young and inexperienced team with great potential in the coming years. But I highly suspect that in a series against the Lakers they will eventually crack at home. Maybe not the first home game but by game 4 or 5 they will have probably come to the conclusion that it isn't their year and fold in 5 or 6. It seems that teams like this are just glad to get to the POs and after tasting it come back much more prepared the following years.

A healthy Manu could and should provide the Spurs with a lot more than you have faced before. And how Gooden fits in come playoff time is another concern for you guys, too. But I still feel that it will be a very tough and physical series if/when we meet in the WCF. With Gooden we have a better answer in the paint in the terms of offense and rebounds than we did last year. I believe that if he comes through on these points then your ability to get sceond chance points, which you guys seem to thrive on, will be significantly reduced to cause problems. But I still give the Lakers the edge in a series between the two teams. Without a healthy Manu then all bets are off.

If we had a fully healthy rotation that had been playing together for several months, then I think it would be a complete crapshoot against LA. If everyone's healthy but hasn't played together much (which is the best we SA fans can hope for) I think we have a 40% chance of beating LA.

This is a concern for me, too. In our championship runs we have been pretty healthy coming down the stretch with an established rotation for the last second half of the season. This year we are trying to get Manu back to full health while at the same time integrating Gooden into the flow with our rotation in flux. Our chemistry just isn't there as of now.

This year the Cavs are a much better team and could go all the way but the Celtics have regressed to a certain degree. They just don't seem to have that killer instinct the I saw so much of last year. Losing Posey hurt them and even though they signed Marbury the jury is still out. They don't have the perimeter D and 3 ball that Posey gave them last year coming off the ebnch. This could be their downfall come PO time. And Garnett isn't 100% except for his mouth which never stops running. But he still has time to get it together. We will see.

Agloco
03-16-2009, 02:36 PM

True that, but everyone took it for granted that the Mavericks would beat the Spurs if they met in the PO again. The Warriors beating the Mavericks then made SA the clear favorite.

Supergirl
03-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Well seeing as how Manu didn't PLAY last year against the Lakers, yes, I think we can be assured that he will be better. Some Manu > no Manu. LOL.

Supergirl
03-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I hope the columnists keep betting against the Spurs, the Spurs always play better as underdogs.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I hope the columnists keep betting against the Spurs, the Spurs always play better as underdogs.

:bking

Baseline
03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
If I were the Lakers, I would be seriously concerned about the Spurs. They are 2nd in the West after more injuries than they have had during the entire Duncan era.

I don't know how many games the Spurs have played this year with the Big Three at full strength, but it can't be more than 10-15 games. One of the Three has been either out or recovering from an injury practically all year. The only stretch really was before the all-star break while Manu was still healthy.

So, if the Big Three are healthy (meaning 80% or more) in the playoffs, along with the addition of Gooden, the Spurs can beat LA. No question about it. they will have to play confidently and not play tight or scared, but they can certainly do it.

My opinion is that Manu will be on a serious mission when he finally gets back on the court. His passion combined with Gooden's energy will give us a serious lift. I think it might be enough to get us over the hump.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
That is if LA makes it to the WCF's......

Dum DUm DUMMMM

Ginobilirules
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
there is a very realistic strong chance that if the spurs are at least close to being decently healthy that they will beat the lakers 4-3 in a tough battle. the lakers are the best team this yr no quest about that, they'd beat the celts this yr too 4-2 if they meet them again, but the spurs would also beat the celts or cavs 4-2 this yr. but the spurs will give the lakers plenty of problems due to gooden's ability to help give gasol, odom, or bynum plenty of trouble and help wear them down. you guys are also forgetting that the spurs are the most physical team in the league, and can wear down the lakers in a seven game series. the lakers are strictly finesse, verl little physical with only odom, bynum, and ariza being their only physical players. we have a very good chance of beating this laker team, but it would be 4-3 if we do. most of the players we have are very physical in their shutdown defense thomas, oberto, gooden, duncan, bowen, mason, udoka, ginobili, even bonner's gotten more physical in his improved d"" only fin, parker and hill might be less physical.

mytespurs
03-16-2009, 06:01 PM
If I were the Lakers, I would be seriously concerned about the Spurs. They are 2nd in the West after more injuries than they have had during the entire Duncan era.

I don't know how many games the Spurs have played this year with the Big Three at full strength, but it can't be more than 10-15 games. One of the Three has been either out or recovering from an injury practically all year. The only stretch really was before the all-star break while Manu was still healthy.

So, if the Big Three are healthy (meaning 80% or more) in the playoffs, along with the addition of Gooden, the Spurs can beat LA. No question about it. they will have to play confidently and not play tight or scared, but they can certainly do it.

My opinion is that Manu will be on a serious mission when he finally gets back on the court. His passion combined with Gooden's energy will give us a serious lift. I think it might be enough to get us over the hump.

I wish! I still think the Lakers are a better overall team: younger, deeper, and motivated after last year's championship. I don't if the Spurs can hang with them even with a healthy Manu and Gooden. We'll just have to wait and see....you know, it almost seems a given to think they'll meet in the WCF.....but that's not necessarily the case......there's a chance neither team will be there....though I think the Lakers, with HC advantage, will be there moreso than the Spurs......I may sound like a Lakers fan but I'm really not.....I'm just calling it as I see it......GO SPURS!

21_Blessings
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
That is if LA makes it to the WCF's......

Dum DUm DUMMMM

Much more likely that the Lakers cruise to the WCF than the Spurs. The Spurs barely made it last year despite having basically a bye in the 1st round against the Suns.

J_Paco
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Much more likely that the Lakers cruise to the WCF than the Spurs. The Spurs barely made it last year despite having basically a bye in the 1st round against the Suns.

Come on, L.A. swatted the headcase Nuggets and undersized, while also inconsistent, Jazz away like flys in their soup last season. L.A. had a 10X easier road to the WCF, as they probably will this year, unless the #4 or #5 seed grows a pair and challenges them.

Don Quixote
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM

A big if!

The Lakers do not fear the Spurs one bit.

If, and I mean IF, the Spurs see L.A. in the playoffs (WCF), it will be a sweep. Maybe 4-1 Lakers.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 11:34 PM

Spurs had the toughest playoff bracket of any team last year....

Lakers had the Nuggest and Jazz :lmao

21_Blessings
03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
S

Lakers had the Nuggest and Jazz :lmao

Jazz put up a better fight than Spurs. :lmao

Spurs barely came out alive against an extremely overrated Hornets team.

Jace
03-17-2009, 04:23 AM
I'm a huge Spurs fan(new here as well) but I have some serious doubts as to their ability to compete with the Lakers. Tim is aging and is hurt and I doubt playing will help his knee Manu is hurt and isn't even playing at the moment Bowen is aging and can no longer do the defensive job on Kobe that he used to do They don't have an athletic C to help Tim out...

mystargtr34
03-17-2009, 05:45 AM
A full strength Celtics team is still slightly better than a full strength Spurs team, because they play better Defense. Much, much better Defense.

The Cavs are a tough read, all their vitals tell you they are one of the favourites, if not the favourite for the title, IE Margin, Defense, Super Duper Star. But, they havent faired that well against the good teams. Having said that, i picked them to win the East at the start of the season and i stick by that.

Both Boston and Cleveland could definately beat the Spurs, and even the Lakers too. In fact, both Boston and Cleveland would be clear favourites against the Spurs.

IMO the Lakers are the favourite, and the best team in the League. If they dont win the title, i think you could consider that an upset.

If they dont get to the Finals, then thats a huge upset.

SenorSpur
03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Because they have the league's best record and they are the reigning Western Conference champions. What more proof do you need? I can't stand their asses, but they won the West last year and no one can dispute that. Until some other team from the West knocks them off, it is what it is. They are the favorites.

If you think that Ginobili's health is the only reason the Spurs lost that series, you're clearly missing the big picture. Besides the issue with Ginobili's health, the Spurs were routinely outquicked, outhustled and outrebounded by a younger, quicker squad, whose size and length clearly bothered the Spurs. Why do you think Pop and R.C. went to great lengths to upgrade both the SG and backup PG positions this year? They've taken steps to get younger and quicker and it still may not be enough.

I am loyal Spurs fan too, but that doesn't or shouldn't cloud the reality. There was nothing to suggest the Spurs could've won that series last year. With the infamous health issues this team currently has, along with an unsettled rotation, there is nothing to suggest that the Spurs can take down the Fakers this year either. By no means am I conceeding the race to the Fakers. They are not invincible and I think they are still soft, but very, very talented. Still they are a bad matchup for the Spurs because the Spurs simply cannot attack them defensively the way the Celtics can. That's the other point you're missing. The Spurs may have upgraded themselves offensively, but they are not the finely-tuned defensive stalwarts they've been in years past. They have declined noticeably there. A likely consequence of having a predominantly older team. You can cite Bowen's decline, Tim's bum knee and the fact that you have several players (Bonner, Finley and Mason) who are simply not good defensive players, as key factors in that decline. Pop sold his soul for more offense. However it has been to the detriment of their usual defensive excellence.

LA needs to beat the Spurs w/ a healthy Manu to prove they are better than them. As far as I can tell, they are only better than a Spurs team with a 50% Manu, which isn't all that impressive.

We've all heard Pop issue the ingredients to winning a championship. Good health, a little bit of luck and playing your best basketball at the right time. Right now, the Spurs have too many moving parts and unsolved variables to consider them a team that is clearly capable of knocking off the Fakers. There's still some time left, but time is growing short. Until the Spurs start clicking on all cylinders, it would be foolish to, once again, think they're championship-ready. And by the way, a championship-caliber team doesn't lay down against inferior opponents, as we saw Monday night in OKC.

The bottom line is always winning. If you don't win, no one is going to remember or care about who came in second place or all the footnotes as to why you didn't. Those don't matter. It's silly of us fans to sit here and denegrate the Fakers for having success against us. After all, they're down a key player too. Are they making excuses? No. They're just winning in spite of it all. I hate them. However, I cannot spit on the fact that they are the favorites for good reason.

Spursmania
03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
La is playing the best ball and has the best record. Not that the best record means much (Ask Dallas) but they sure are playing well and they are healthy. I don't think they need Bynum, he's just insurance.

The Spurs have their work cut out for them. And, really if the Lakers don't win the Championship it will be a HUGE upset.

Oh and Senor Spur, ditto everything you said. I completely agree.

mytespurs
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Because they have the league's best record and they are the reigning Western Conference champions. What more proof do you need? I can't stand their asses, but they won the West last year and no one can dispute that. Until some other team from the West knocks them off, it is what it is. They are the favorites.

If you think that Ginobili's health is the only reason the Spurs lost that series, you're clearly missing the big picture. Besides the issue with Ginobili's health, the Spurs were routinely outquicked, outhustled and outrebounded by a younger, quicker squad, whose size and length clearly bothered the Spurs. Why do you think Pop and R.C. went to great lengths to upgrade both the SG and backup PG positions this year? They've taken steps to get younger and quicker and it still may not be enough.

I am loyal Spurs fan too, but that doesn't or shouldn't cloud the reality. There was nothing to suggest the Spurs could've won that series last year. With the infamous health issues this team currently has, along with an unsettled rotation, there is nothing to suggest that the Spurs can take down the Fakers this year either. By no means am I conceeding the race to the Fakers. They are not invincible and I think they are still soft, but very, very talented. Still they are a bad matchup for the Spurs because the Spurs simply cannot attack them defensively the way the Celtics can. That's the other point you're missing. The Spurs may have upgraded themselves offensively, but they are not the finely-tuned defensive stalwarts they've been in years past. They have declined noticeably there. A likely consequence of having a predominantly older team. You can cite Bowen's decline, Tim's bum knee and the fact that you have several players (Bonner, Finley and Mason) who are simply not good defensive players, as key factors in that decline. Pop sold his soul for more offense. However it has been to the detriment of their usual defensive excellence.

We've all heard Pop issue the ingredients to winning a championship. Good health, a little bit of luck and playing your best basketball at the right time. Right now, the Spurs have too many moving parts and unsolved variables to consider them a team that is clearly capable of knocking off the Fakers. There's still some time left, but time is growing short. Until the Spurs start clicking on all cylinders, it would be foolish to, once again, think they're championship-ready. And by the way, a championship-caliber team doesn't lay down against inferior opponents, as we saw Monday night in OKC.

The bottom line is always winning. If you don't win, no one is going to remember or care about who came in second place or all the footnotes as to why you didn't. Those don't matter. It's silly of us fans to sit here and denegrate the Fakers for having success against us. After all, they're down a key player too. Are they making excuses? No. They're just winning in spite of it all. I hate them. However, I cannot spit on the fact that they are the favorites for good reason.

EXCELLENT POST SENORSPUR!! This is something Spurs AND Lakers fans should appreciate. :toast

SenorSpur
03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I will also say this. The Spurs are THE only Western Conference opponent with the most legitimate chance to taking down the Fakers. If all conditions are right, as I've mentioned earlier. If the Spurs can't finish the job, the Celtics will have to do it again.

mytespurs
03-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I will also say this. The Spurs are THE only Western Conference opponent with the most legitimate chance to taking down the Fakers. If all conditions are right, as I've mentioned earlier. If the Spurs can't finish the job, the Celtics will have to do it again.

Do you think the Celtics can do it again?

TheManFromAcme
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
EXCELLENT POST SENORSPUR!! This is something Spurs AND Lakers fans should appreciate. :toast

SENORSPUR.

Outstanding read. My respects for your insightful comments and analysis.

You da man! :hat

SenorSpur
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
SENORSPUR.

Outstanding read. My respects for your insightful comments and analysis.

You da man! :hat

Appreciate it, manfromAcme (love the handle).

Just wanted add a bit of balance and objectivity. :p:

SenorSpur
03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Do you think the Celtics can do it again?

I do.

It seems to me that the Spurs matchup better with the Celtics than they do with the Fakers. Just a thought.

new_N_town
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
we will get sonned AGAIN how embarrassin

2Cleva
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I do.

It seems to me that the Spurs matchup better with the Celtics than they do with the Fakers. Just a thought.

I'm curious - why Bos over LA? I'm interested in reading your thoughts. My quick argument against.

1 - Assuming Bynum is back, it forces Boston to defend every position instead of punking Odom.

2 - LA should be over the mental hurdle after beating Boston twice - sending them to a funk after each game.

3 - LA can defend Rondo just like they do TP.

4 - No Posey or anyone off the bench to defend Kobe. PP would have to do it and it would wear him out. Flip side, LA has Ariza to chase Allen or PP - instead of going with Sasha.

5 - HCA.

21_Blessings
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
1 - Assuming Bynum is back, it forces Boston to defend every position instead of punking Odom.

2 - LA should be over the mental hurdle after beating Boston twice - sending them to a funk after each game.

3 - LA can defend Rondo just like they do TP.

4 - No Posey or anyone off the bench to defend Kobe. PP would have to do it and it would wear him out. Flip side, LA has Ariza to chase Allen or PP - instead of going with Sasha.

5 - HCA.

Quoted for reality. :toast

SpursDynasty
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
The Lakers won't even make the WCF's this year...they are just coming out and shooting some hoops and are mostly a jump shooting team that depends on lucky shots to fall. Reminds me of 2007 Mavs.

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
we will get sonned AGAIN how embarrassin

I just don't see it.

SIR CHARLES!
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
The Lakers won't even make the WCF's this year...they are just coming out and shooting some hoops and are mostly a jump shooting team that depends on lucky shots to fall. Reminds me of 2007 Mavs.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w_IYwxXA55c/SR4EgPh5fVI/AAAAAAAAAIM/xfl_xOMgsJc/s400/100_pendejo.gif

NBAdime
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
I think Spurs are the western conference only hope for a ring. Otherwise it's an east team winning the trophy.

SIR CHARLES!
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/19/laker_3_26_36_am.jpg

BushDynasty
03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/19/laker_3_26_36_am.jpg

I'm guessin' yer jerkin' off in yer bunk somewhere. Just sayin.

adidas11
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
As it stands right now, I would give the Spurs a 15 - 20% chance of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series. And that is being generous.

I have not seen any evidence so far this season to suggest otherwise. The Lakers are deeper, younger, more athletic, and have comparable post season experience. And the Lakers best players are currently healthy and in their prime.

The Lakers (without Bynum) beat the Spurs 4 games to 1 last season in the playoffs. And yes, although Manu was at best 50%, the difference was so vast that the series wasn't even close.

That gap is even greater this season. With the addition of Ariza who gives the Lakers another athletic swingman who has game (and even without Bynum), I would be shocked if the Spurs won more than one game in a 7 game series.

The Spurs have gotten worse defensively, while in a bid to upgrade their offense. And even at that, the Spurs are nowhere close to being the offensive juggernaut that the Lakers are.

Like another poster said earlier, the Spurs MIGHT be able to win if Parker/Duncan/Manu all play the series of their lives. And honestly, with Duncan past his prime, he is just not capable of doing that.

Ginobilirules
03-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Mystarg you're an idiot for sure and uneducated, the full strength spurs would kick the celtics ass 4-2 and the cavs''s 4-2 as well. its the lakers they'd have their hands full with but they could realistically beat la lakers 4-3 if they do pull it off which they have every ability to that too DON'T FOOL YOURSELF AND UNDERESTIMATE THESE SPURS"'in the playoffs. lakers are better than all teams right now with improving defense too''. much stronger than the celts too.

Ginobilirules
03-18-2009, 12:22 AM
adidas is a first class idiot"" duncan is in the middle of his prime jackass'' not past it get your facts straight. and the spurs are a very stromng threat to the lakers this yr. their defense is still very strong in the playoffs when it counts uneducated fucknutt hater'.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I was more optimistic in 2002 playoffs than I will be when this year's playoffs start.

Thomas82
03-18-2009, 12:51 AM
adidas is a first class idiot"" duncan is in the middle of his prime jackass'' not past it get your facts straight. and the spurs are a very stromng threat to the lakers this yr. their defense is still very strong in the playoffs when it counts uneducated fucknutt hater'.

And he will be for atleast another 3 years.

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 01:33 AM
As it stands right now, I would give the Spurs a 15 - 20% chance of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series. And that is being generous.

I have not seen any evidence so far this season to suggest otherwise. The Lakers are deeper, younger, more athletic, and have comparable post season experience. And the Lakers best players are currently healthy and in their prime.

The Lakers (without Bynum) beat the Spurs 4 games to 1 last season in the playoffs. And yes, although Manu was at best 50%, the difference was so vast that the series wasn't even close.

That gap is even greater this season. With the addition of Ariza who gives the Lakers another athletic swingman who has game (and even without Bynum), I would be shocked if the Spurs won more than one game in a 7 game series.

The Spurs have gotten worse defensively, while in a bid to upgrade their offense. And even at that, the Spurs are nowhere close to being the offensive juggernaut that the Lakers are.

Like another poster said earlier, the Spurs MIGHT be able to win if Parker/Duncan/Manu all play the series of their lives. And honestly, with Duncan past his prime, he is just not capable of doing that.
Were you saying this before or after your Lakers lost to Philly? You are unbelievable. You seem to forget about a few new people on the Spurs.

http://allballsdontbounce.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/roger-mason.jpg
You haven't forgotten about this guy, have you? I would hope not. And George Hill, Drew Gooden, as well as a healthy Manu Ginobili. While your new guys for this series include Bynum, Adam Morrison, Sun Yue, and Josh Powell. I know where my money would go in that 4 on 4 matchup.