PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Rockets - Mar. 14

timvp
03-15-2009, 03:19 PM
In the next installment of the seemingly always low scoring and hard fought rivalry between the San Antonio Spurs and the Houston Rockets, the Spurs were able to pull away late in the contest due to clutch plays on both ends of the court.

With the game tied at 77 with five minutes remaining, the two healthy members of the Big Three took over. Tim Duncan connected on a banker and then Tony Parker scored the final nine points for the Spurs. All three of Parker’s buckets came courtesy of assists from Duncan. After a late defensive stand in which the Spurs withstood three-point attempts from Ron Artest and Aaron Brooks, the final score of 88-85 was decided.

It’s not a big surprise that the Rockets are better without Tracy McGrady. With McGrady out, Houston is forced to look for Yao Ming more often – and that is a good thing. Artest, Brooks and Von Wafer off the bench can supply the needed perimeter scoring and the rest of the role players get more touches. While the Rockets aren't a true championship contender this season, they have a shot of making it to the second round.

For the Spurs, this was an important W. The disappointing performance against the Lakers can now be forgotten and the Spurs can go ahead in their quest to put their stamp on the second seed in the Western Conference.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
33 minutes, 15 points, 12 rebounds, four assists, two steals
7-for-18 from the field, 1-for-2 at the line

In the first half, Tim Duncan was 2-for-8 from the field and appeared totally out of rhythm. The good news was he didn’t appear to be hampered by injury, unlike against the Lakers. In the second half, Duncan stepped it up. In his eight and a half minutes in the fourth quarter, Duncan had six points, four rebounds and those three important assists to Parker. Overall, his recovery from the quadriceps tendonosis looked promising on the night.
-------------------------------

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
38 minutes, 28 points, eight assists, four rebounds
10-for-23 from the field, 8-for-9 at the line

All things considered, Tony Parker played a very good game. However, if you break it down, you’ll realize that he was extremely streaky on the night. After knocking down 5-of-7 shots to begin the game, Parker then missed eight of his next nine field goal attempts. Late in the contest, Parker regained his rhythm and carried the Spurs to the victory. Defensively, he didn’t give enough respect to Brooks’ jumper to begin the game. His effort on that end got better as the game progressed. Parker also passed the ball very well and he rediscovered his free throw stroke.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
30 minutes, five points, two steals
2-for-3 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

The Rockets once again did a great job of taking Roger Mason, Jr. out of the game. In three games against the Rockets, Mason has only been able to shoot 18 times. The defensive strategy for Houston was to not double off of him and to trap any Mason initiated pick-and-rolls. When he was at shooting guard, Mason literally didn’t get any open looks. The only time he could find any airspace was when he shot quickly after coming off of a screen. Defensively, Mason didn’t have a very good game. He was a step slow and compounded the issue by reaching after he found himself out of position.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
37 minutes, 17 points, four rebounds
6-for-14 from the field, 5-for-7 on three-pointers

Michael Finley had his second consecutive positive performance. Although he seemed to run out of gas at some point in the third quarter, Finley hit five key three-pointers. He also showed good speed and athleticism when running the court and his effort on defense was noteworthy. Compared to last season, Finley is moving much better. Let’s hope he can save some gas for the postseason.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
29 minutes, two points, ten rebounds, two assists
1-for-6 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner hit double digits in rebounding for the first time since January 17th against the Bobcats. He seemed extra focused on becoming a factor on the glass and even had an impressive block. Offensively, Bonner didn’t look too comfortable. Like Mason, Bonner didn’t get many open looks. He forced the issue a few times off the dribble and basically just looked frazzled most of the time offensively. It should be noted that since the Spurs signed Drew Gooden, Bonner is shooting just 29.2% from the floor and 25% from beyond the three-point arc. Is Bonner feeling the pressure? It’s hard to argue against his shooting numbers over the last five games.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
25 minutes, two points, three rebounds, two assists
1-for-3 from the field

Ime Udoka’s brawn was useful against Ron Artest on Saturday night. Udoka was able to keep him from punishing the Spurs in the low block and instead forced Artest to the perimeter. Although Udoka didn’t do much offensively, he also didn’t exhibit the poor shot selection that sometimes haunts him. Since re-entering the rotation five games ago, Udoka is averaging 22.8 minutes, 7.6 points and 2.8 rebounds per game, while shooting 44.1% from the field and 50% from beyond the three-point arc.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
19 minutes, two points, three rebounds
0-for-1 from the field

Kurt Thomas continues to be a positive force for the Spurs. Night in and night out, Thomas is giving quality minutes. Against the Rockets, his hard-hitting play allowed the Spurs to stay strong when the two bench units matched up. Since the start of January, Thomas has been a very productive bench piece.

Drew Gooden
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3602.jpg
15 minutes, 13 points, four rebounds
5-for-10 from the field, 3-for-4 from the line

In his first extended playing time with the Spurs, Drew Gooden was impressive. He showed off his talents on the block and in the pick-and-rolls. When Duncan rested, Gooden actually did a decent Duncan impression to keep the offense flowing. Defensively, Gooden wasn’t great but he seemed willing to battle and he also hit the boards. On the whole, it’s difficult to not be excited by Gooden’s first 20 minutes in a Spurs uniform.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
15 minutes, four points, one rebound
2-for-3 from the field

George Hill continues to be a ball of energy off the bench. His defense was again very good and he helped out with a pair of well-timed buckets on the offensive end. Since his transition to the shooting guard position, Hill’s defense has been much improved and his shooting percentages are on the rise. As a backup two guard, he’s hitting 56.5% of his shots from the field and is 3-for-3 on three-pointers.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
Four seconds

Bruce Bowen only played four seconds – the last four seconds of the game. To his credit, he actually made a heady rotation on that last play to deny the shot the Rockets drew up for Brent Barry. It’s tough to figure out if this is the beginning of the end for Bowen or if Pop just went elsewhere due to matchups.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop coached a good game. Surprisingly enough, Pop actually coached like he cared whether or not the Spurs came out on top. His rotations were more orderly than have been the case recently and his playcalling was good. I especially liked how he utilized Drew Gooden. When Gooden was on the court, Pop played to Gooden’s strengths offensively and covered his weaknesses defensively.

Offense

The Spurs scored between 20 and 24 points in each quarter. Perhaps their best offensive showing of the game came late when Duncan and Parker took the reins and drove the Spurs to victory. On the night, the Spurs shot 42% from the field, hit 6-of-9 three-pointers and turned the ball over only ten times. Their 17 assists and 17 free throw attempts were both low, but those numbers are understandable because the Rockets were forcing the Spurs to play more one-on-one basketball than normal.

Defense

Outside of the 17-2 spurt the Spurs gave up in the third quarter, the defense was very good. They didn’t back down and gave good effort from the beginning of the game. The Rockets shot 41.8% from the field, handed out only 14 assists and got to the line just 18 times. What kept the Rockets in the game was their 7-for-17 three-point shooting and their 45-41 advantage on the glass.

Drive to Five

It’s always good to beat the Rockets. Next up on the agenda is a back-to-back against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Monday and the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday. These are both important games for the Spurs to get as they wait for Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan to get healthy.

Believe.

Dex
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM
:clap I like Game Thoughts.

Darkwaters
03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Good to have them back...the Game Thoughts that is.

EricB
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Last night's game defensively, is what gives you hope when a guy with defensive shortcomings like Gooden, is passable or good, and it gives you hope due to the defensive scheme. the last couple minutes defensively was decent spurs defense that will only get better.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
very nice as always. cant wait to see manu in the game thoughts

DPG21920
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I like the idea of having KT and Gooden in the game at the same time. It gives you two rebounders that can shoot and have a different set of tools that allow the spacing on the floor to work. Plus they can clean the defensive glass and if Drew can just keep putting the effort in defensively, it gives us some decent size in there.

NFGIII
03-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks!

Our D seems to be progressing along. That is good news and to win a hard fought game always is a good sign. This one reminded me of the past days when we used to have these types of games regularly with the Spurs winning the vast majority of them.

Hopefully these next two games and all future games where the team is sub .500 the Spurs can jump out strong. This would give Gooden more time on the floor and rest TD. Doesn't always happen but that would be what I would want. Most likely Pop, too.

:flag:

usckk
03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Timvp,

Thanks for the thoughts! But, can you please change the Gooden picture? It's freakin' me out.

Much Love,
usckk

Spurs Brazil
03-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Bruce Bowen only played four seconds – the last four seconds of the game. To his credit, he actually made a heady rotation on that last play to deny the shot the Rockets drew up for Brent Barry. It’s tough to figure out if this is the beginning of the end for Bowen or if Pop just went elsewhere due to matchups.

At the beggining of the season I thought Pop was saving Bruce for the playoffs but after the last month or so I think he'll have very limited minutes in the playoffs.

Illusionarist
03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah. At least game thoughts. I missed them a lot. Perfect as always. Keep up.

Bender
03-15-2009, 04:45 PM
yes, please update the pic of Gooden with a newer one.... :lol

It would be nice if Tim could play 25-30 min the next two games instead of his usual 30+.

superbigtime
03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Great analysis. Quality win, but too much nail-biting at the end. Refs didn't help with that BS jump ball call.

Blackjack
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Michael Finley had his second consecutive positive performance. Although he seemed to run out of gas at some point in the third quarter, Finley hit five key three-pointers. He also showed good speed and athleticism when running the court and his effort on defense was noteworthy. Compared to last season, Finley is moving much better. Let’s hope he can save some gas for the postseason.

Matt Bonner hit double digits in rebounding for the first time since January 17th against the Bobcats. He seemed extra focused on becoming a factor on the glass and even had an impressive block. Offensively, Bonner didn’t look too comfortable. Like Mason, Bonner didn’t get many open looks. He forced the issue a few times off the dribble and basically just looked frazzled most of the time offensively. It should be noted that since the Spurs signed Drew Gooden, Bonner is shooting just 29.2% from the floor and 25% from beyond the three-point arc. Is Bonner feeling the pressure? It’s hard to argue against his shooting numbers over the last five games.

Fin's made some siginficant strides this year on the defensive end of the floor, but he was downright disruptive for a stretch there, by getting his hands in some passing lanes and really displaying some solid effort. That would have been the most eye-opening thing, had not Bonner gone and had a legitimate weak-side block that just about any big would be proud of. (Finley and Bonner... Who would've thunk?:lol)

Indazone
03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
That last three pointer from Fin was complete BS. Might as well have put a blindfold on him and told him to throw up that prayer.

Blackjack
03-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Last night's game defensively, is what gives you hope when a guy with defensive shortcomings like Gooden, is passable or good, and it gives you hope due to the defensive scheme. the last couple minutes defensively was decent spurs defense that will only get better.

He was the starting power-forward on an eastern conference champion, who's biggest reason for success, was the fact that they were one of the best defensive/rebounding teams in the league. He may not a be a great defender, but he's also not the inept defender you make him out to be.

Blackjack
03-15-2009, 08:00 PM
That last three pointer from Fin was complete BS. Might as well have put a blindfold on him and told him to throw up that prayer.

It's karma, man.:lol

The Spurs have already seen their fair share of fluke shots made against them this year. (i.e. Iguodala, F. Jones, etc.)

Brazil
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
please update the picture of Gooden ! He is ugly on that pic

Manufan909
03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Timvp,

Thanks for the thoughts! But, can you please change the Gooden picture? It's freakin' me out.

Much Love,
usckk

Damn, I didn't even notice til you said something, but that is pretty creepy.:wow

timaios
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009031410

Duncan’s first basket gave him 19,000 career points.

Gregg Popovich coached his 999th career game on Saturday night.

He’ll become the 24th coach in NBA history to reach 1,000 when the Spurs play in Oklahoma City on Monday.
Popovich will be the seventh man to coach his first 1,000 games with one team.

Did I miss the thread about those huge milestones ?
Where is duncan228 ?
She must have talked about that somewhere.

:toast for Tim.
:toast for Pop.

:flag::flag::flag:

duncan228
03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009031410

Did I miss the thread about those huge milestones ?
Where is duncan228 ?
She must have talked about that somewhere.

:toast for Tim.
:toast for Pop.

Pop's 1,000th is mentioned here (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119782), I didn't mention Duncan.

DaDakota
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
What decided this game was a half court heave by Finley that banked in for 3 points....other than that...this game was DEAD even.

I hope to see the Spurs in the playoffs that is a toss up series.

DD

03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
What decided this game was a half court heave by Finley that banked in for 3 points....other than that...this game was DEAD even.

DD

spurs were without ginobili. unlike tmac, ginobili makes his team better, not worse.

Ditty
03-16-2009, 01:28 AM

DD

after yesterdays game i would love to have yall in the secound round

parker was schooling brooks

duncan played good against yao ming not his best but put gooden and duncan out there and we will sweep the series if these 2 guys our at there best

and the part that yall didnt want mason to shoot the 3 yall will have yall hands full with ginobili to not shoot that

unless rocekts shoots lights out the series would only go to 5 so im pulling for yall or denver to get that 3rd seed

no bowen or oberto either

bowen makes artests life miserable and oberto knows all of scolas moves pretty much so it would be really tough for houston to beat us without mcgrady

The Franchise
03-16-2009, 07:19 AM

DD

Agreed. :toast

urunobili
03-16-2009, 07:40 AM

DD

Agreed. :toast

Butt hurt some? :lol

duncan228
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
A little look into how Pop thinks, and the development of Parker. (I thought this was the best place for it, please move if it belongs somewhere else).

Getting the point: Rockets', Brooks' night against Parker (http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/03/getting_the_point_rockets_broo.html)
Jonathan Feigen

Go back to the day of the trade.

Out went Rafer Alston, in came Kyle Lowry and up moved Aaron Brooks to the starting job, a gamble the Rockets made on his scoring ability and potential to grow.

They looked ahead. Others looked back, back to when Gregg Popovich made second-year project guard Tony Parker the point guard for a championship-caliber team.

"My first thought after the trade is it reminded me of a situation a few years back," Shane Battier said the day after the trade. "There was an uproar. "Oh, we're handing the keys to the offense to an undersized point guard who is really quick ... but he can't play defense. He can't run a team." I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many people in San Antonio who will question Gregg Popovich's thinking now."

For the first time since then, the Rockets pitted Brooks against Parker and the Rockets came up short. The Spurs ran things down the stretch like a team whose stars have won three championships together and had been toughened through so many tests together.

It's the toughest job in the NBA, Popovich said, without adding that playing point guard is made that much tougher for a young guard that is not and never will be a traditional, instinctive, Chris Paul of a point.

That is not the test, however. The Rockets do not expect that any more than Popovich expected it of Parker.

"It's as you watch a player react to those situations," Popovich said. "Does he make the same mistake over and over again? If that player stops making certain mistakes and starts making the correct choices in those situations, then you know you got something.

"Before that, you have to make sure the guy can handle it, that he is a competitor, that he can handle the situation, that he can gain the respect of his teammates, that he feels that he in the position he should be in, would he take a big shot if he needed to, can he get the ball where he needs to get it. Those things almost come first. Obviously, Rick (Adelman) has decided this kid is competitive and wants to take on that task, because it is the toughest job in the NBA. He obviously decided he can handle that. That's the first step, seeing that in somebody."

The Rockets did not suddenly learn that Brooks is a scoring-lead guard, rather than a traditional, old-school point. He was a scorer when he played at Oregon, when they drafted him and ever since. He was that when they promoted him, and with Tracy McGrady out, that was a large part of the reason he was promoted.

Some will always prefer point guards to be playmakers first (and second and third), but it is it is wrong to believe one way is completely right and the other completely wrong.

Parker became the star he is when Popovich chose to accept and embrace his style, rather than to try to make him something he was not.

The question is not really about Brooks' style at the point but whether he can play his way well enough, and when.

That is the problem with the Tony Parker comparison.

Parker is great.

It's too much - and way, way too soon - to ask that of Brooks. That might never be a fair comparison. Besides being about five inches taller, Parker's ability to finish is off the charts.

But can Tony Parker Light be enough?

Sam Cassell was enough. He was not as small as Brooks, but he also was never was anywhere near that kind of athlete.

The thing they had in common is that if there is a shot that had to be made, they wanted it and would often make it.

It is not insignificant that this guy relishes the big shot and has already hit some.

Just as the execution down the stretch is vital, so is the ability to make those shots. Brooks must improve as the guy running the show in the final minutes. He has to do it fast, too. But you can't teach a guy to be the sort that rises to the occasion.

Brooks is not stubborn. He will run what he is told. He has been told to be aggressive, to look for his shots. The Rockets will find the balance between Brooks scoring and running the offense.

Lately, his job has been to get the ball to the guys who get the ball to Yao. There are some times he is to look for Yao, too, but the Rockets have tweaked things so that Ron Artest and Shane Battier deliver the ball to the post.

Brooks does have to run things. He did not get an assist on Saturday, but has averaged 4.6 since becoming the starter. He does not, however, have the luxury of simply scoring or only running the offense. He must hit the right balance.

"People are always different, but it's in one way walking the line between letting a young kid have his head and show you his talents, and at the same time trying to make sure the young kid understands who he is playing with in the system and grow with that," Popovich said. "Sometimes, it's difficult to have them coexist.

"In Aaron's case, he can shoot the ball, he's quick going to the hole, and a confident young guy who can get out there and do things. There are going to be other times Rick (Adelman) is going to want him (to know) the ball is going to Yao (Ming), or we're running this play, or the situation on the court. That's the teaching process there, to make sure the young kid understands game situations have a lot to do with winning and losing, and making the right choices based on what's going on on the court.

"That process takes awhile, whether it is Aaron or Tony."

The Rockets don't have a lot of time to wait for that process to play out. The Spurs won the championship in Parker's second season, with Speedy Claxton often stepping in as Lowry often will down the stretch this season and in the post-season.

So far, however, the Rockets are 16-5 in Brooks' starts this season. They have beaten the Cavaliers, Mavericks, Blazers, Suns, Nuggets (twice) and Hornets in those games, but that is not really the point, either.

Those wins, like Saturday's loss, are part of the process.

"He is a wonderful young player," Popovich said. "He will have a great career in Houston."

The Rockets, however, have spent their patience in the previous, unsatisfying years. When Parker got the gig, the Spurs' first championship was still pretty fresh and the wait for the next one brief. The Rockets, or at least their fans, want it all to happen now.

Saturday might have indicated how far there is to go. But another game with Brooks going against Parker is part of the process to get there.

urunobili
03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
^^ Just what we needed... another Texan copycat team... :nope

Indazone
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
If you haven't learned by now...the Rockets are your evil twin brother lol.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM
If you haven't learned by now...the Rockets are your evil twin brother lol.

i was gonna say sucky team brother but....

silverblackfan
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Nice to see the game thoughts again. Finely has had quite a few good games lately.

Agloco
03-16-2009, 03:04 PM

I hope to see the Spurs in the playoffs that is a toss up series.DD

Not like the game would have played out ANY differently if the Spurs had 3 fewer points right?

You'll be seeing them with Manu in the PO. Who's the X-factor making an appearance for you guys? T-Mac? :lol