03-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Indiana 101, Golden State 83
Preview - Box Score - Recap

By STEVE HERMAN, AP Sports Writer
March 11, 2005

Photo
AP - Mar 11, 9:31 pm EST
More Photos
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Stephen Jackson made up for lost time in a hurry.

Scratched from the starting lineup because he overslept and missed a morning shootaround, Jackson came off the bench late in the first quarter, hit his first four shots and finished with 22 points Friday night as the Indiana Pacers beat Golden State 101-83.

``I have no problem with coming off the bench. I totally respect the coach's decision,'' Jackson said. ``It was my fault, not being there this morning. I wanted to come off the bench and contribute just as much as I contribute when I'm starting.''

Reggie Miller added 19 points, including 11 in the opening period, and Jeff Foster had 14 points and 17 rebounds. Mike Dunleavy led the Warriors with 18 points, while Baron Davis added 14 and Derek Fisher had 12.

Jackson, who had a season-high 30 points at Utah on Tuesday, has led Indiana in scoring in seven of the past eight games. Even though he began the first and third quarters on the bench, he still played 33 minutes, more than any player on either team.

``He called in this morning and said he overslept. These things happen,'' Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. ``When it happens, he misses a start. It's no big deal. But it may have worked out better for us tonight because he really juiced up our bench.''

ADVERTISEMENT
With James Jones starting in place of Jackson, the Pacers took an early lead on Miller's shooting but still led only 21-15 before Jackson entered the game with under 4 minutes left in the opening period.

Jackson hit his first shot seconds later, a 3-pointer, and had a driving layup at the end of the quarter to put Indiana up 30-20. He then scored eight points in a 16-2 run starting the second period, and the Pacers pulled away to a 46-22 lead before Jackson's first miss.

``We just never got into any rhythm at all,'' Dunleavy said. ``You would have thought we would have played this team pretty close when you consider all of the injuries and other problems that Indiana has had.''

A basket by Troy Murphy midway through the second quarter was Golden State's first field goal of the period. The Pacers matched their 24-point lead on two free throws by Miller, then a layup by Anthony Johnson gave Indiana its biggest lead so far at 54-28.

Unlike Tuesday, when Indiana blew a 25-point lead before coming back late to beat Utah, the Pacers stayed in front of the Warriors the rest of the way. With Jackson back on the bench at the start of the third quarter, Miller, Jones and Johnson hit their first shots, and Indiana pulled ahead 74-47 before Jackson returned.

``I cheered the guys on who started. They got us off to a great start,'' Jackson said. ``I'm just happy it's over with.''

The Pacers took an 84-59 lead into the fourth quarter, then held off a late comeback that cut the lead to 13 points with under 2 minutes to go.

``We just came out with not much energy,'' Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said. ``Indiana really shot the ball well and got into a rhythm. We just didn't have much cooking tonight.''

Notes

Dale Davis, signed last week on the same day the Pacers put Jermaine O'Neal on the injured list, had eight points, seven rebounds and two blocked shots. ... The Warriors are 3-4 with one game left, at Atlanta on Saturday, on an eight-game road trip, their longest in 40 years. ... The win was only Indiana's second in nine games against Pacific Division teams this season. ... Warriors reserve Calbert Cheaney, the college player of the year at Indiana in 1993, received a warm welcome from fans when he entered the game in the second quarter. ... Jason Richardson, averaging 23.3 the past six games, was in foul trouble and scoreless in 16 minutes in the first half and finished with five points. ... Miller hit all six free throws he took, stretching his streak to 51 in a row, one short of his club record.