PDA

View Full Version : Picks/Screen Rolls, etc.

SequSpur
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I listened to the game on the way back from Colorado last night and while Gooden was in, Bill kept talking about him screening for Mason and things started to happen offensively.

I notice that when Parker is running the offense, there is little screening and more of him taking players off the dribble and trying to create for himself and others..

I also remember when Parker was out, the Spurs exclusively went to pick/screen rolls for Hill and Mason and they went off...

What happened?

Also, after the Laker game, I would think that Parker needs to do more to make sure this team wins...

There isn't a player in the NBA that can stop him.

SequSpur
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I bring up Gooden, because Cleveland runs alot of screens on offense, is this something he can bring while he is on the floor?

Also, was I the only one that thought Scola was going to score at will at the end of the 4th over Bonner? Thank God for Thomas coming in.

mabrignani
03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
gooden>scola

lefty
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
I listened to the game on the way back from Colorado last night and while Gooden was in, Bill kept talking about him screening for Mason and things started to happen offensively.

I notice that when Parker is running the offense, there is little screening and more of him taking players off the dribble and trying to create for himself and others..

I also remember when Parker was out, the Spurs exclusively went to pick/screen rolls for Hill and Mason and they went off...

What happened?

Also, after the Laker game, I would think that Parker needs to do more to make sure this team wins...

But an old dude named Phil Jackson can.

What am I talking about, KFC owns him

kace
03-15-2009, 06:04 PM
But an old dude named Phil Jackson can.

What am I talking about, KFC owns him

well, this year, tony is by far our best scorer against LA in the 3 games we had against them:

21.3 ppg / 6 ass / 55 % FG

LA defends him well but i don't think Tony is our main problem against LA.

Spursfan092120
03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
gooden>scola
I SO wanted to get on and post that exact comment last night after the Houston game, but I wasn't able to get on a computer. Gooden owned last night.

EricB
03-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Tony isn't a player made for screen and pop jumpers

lefty
03-15-2009, 06:30 PM
well, this year, tony is by far our best scorer against LA in the 3 games we had against them:

21.3 ppg / 6 ass / 55 % FG

LA defends him well but i don't think Tony is our main problem against LA.

It's a different story in the playoffs.

TP wants to beat the Lakers so badly that he sometimes loses his edge

Solid D
03-15-2009, 08:27 PM

What happened?

I agree that Parker is tough to stop, however Sequ, the Spurs run heavy amounts of screens for Parker. Most of the time, Timmy and Matt do it in when they are the Bigs, but Kurt and Fab do it also. The high and side screen and roll/pop are the mechanism by which TP gets the majority of his points.

With that said, it's encouraging to know that Gooden can do well with that when Mason is running the point also.