PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty to the 2010 plan, and reloading in 08/09

pad300
03-15-2009, 04:19 PM
I have seen numerous times, particularly in the Mensah-Bonsu to sign with raptors thread the supposition that the Spurs already have 5 bigs locked in for 09/10 - Duncan, Thomas, Bonner, Oberto, and Mahinmi (the argument goes therefore we don't have room for a project big besides Mahinmi...especially with Gooden on board).

However, it is my understanding that Oberto's contract is only partially guaranteed next year - if he is cut before Aug 25, 2009, he is only owed 1.9 million rather than 3.8 million. Similarly, with Bowen's contract, he is owed 4 million, but only 2 if cut by Aug 25, 2009. I think it is clear that neither of these players could command that money on the open market - both would be lucky to get vet minimum contracts. Also, neither is playing serious minutes this season (to date). So, while we will wait on the question of either of them producing playoff heroics this spring, the question of their futures comes up.

Do the Spurs owe either Bowen or Oberto enough loyalty to pay their full contract without taking the team option on next year? Note that even if the team option was taken, and then they were brought back on minimum contracts, both money and significant capspace would be saved (Bowen 4 million in both wages and capspace vs ~2.8 million in effective* wages and capspace. Similarly Oberto is 3.8 Million vs. 2.7 Million).

Also, do the spurs look at this as an opportunity to move up their 2010 rebuild plan? Oberto and Bowen's partially guaranteed contracts are potentially very valuable trade bait for a team looking at significant financial losses, as they offer immediate, ie. prior to the completion of the 2010 season financial relief. By themselves, they could bring in salary worth up to 9.85 Million... With another expiring 2010 expiring - eg Bonner, Finley, whomever, they could bring in even more.

* 2 Million Buyout + 800K in vet min money, with the rest from the league http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

When a player has been in the NBA for three or more seasons, and is playing under a one-year, ten-day or rest-of-season contract, the league actually reimburses the team for part of his salary - any amount above the minimum salary level for a two-year veteran. For example, in 2005-06 the minimum salary for a two-year veteran is $719,373, so for a ten-year veteran, with a minimum salary of $1,138,500, the league would reimburse the team $419,127. Only the two-year minimum salary is included in the team salary, not the player's full salary. They do this so teams won't shy away from signing older veterans simply because they are more expensive when filling out their last few roster spots.
and

When determining the amount of tax a team owes, the league uses its team salary (see question number 14) on the date of their last regular season game (i.e., if a player is traded away before the end of the season, then none of his salary is taxed), with the following adjustments:
* For minimum salary players whose salary is partially paid by the league (see question number 11) only the amount paid by the team (the two-year minimum salary) is taxed.

SequSpur
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Bowen and Oberto will not be back.

SenorSpur
03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Screw any 2010 plan. With the current, precarious health conditions of both Duncan and Manu, this team needs to bolster their roster, as best they can, and win now.

AussieFanKurt
03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
i'm not 100% sure yet, but I think we'll be on the rebuild in two seasons.
maybe even next season if we dont get rings.
hard to say really, san antonio are so unpredictable.

Thomas82
03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Bowen and Oberto will not be back.

I'm not quite sure on Bowen, but I don't see Oberto coming back.

Spursmania
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Hard to think about that now. Let's see how the season ends and what if any productivity we got form the players who played in the play-offs and contributed.

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2009, 05:04 PM
bowen hasnt provided much this season or in the foreseeable future...we already givin him a loyalty contract which he is current on, and so is fukn finley till it expires next season.

oberto i do not want back
thomas will not be back once his deal expires
ginoboli to me is only worth what the MLE is priced at, anything more that that gtfo...even if teams overpay for his services, we should not match it...he has lost a step this season and continue to do so if he keeps on getting injured and playing in the summer where he has commitments to his national team.

this team needs to retool and get younger while still be competitive....

mahinmi if he doesnt improve next season and the following year? i say his a fkn busts which should not be on our plans after 2010.

new_N_town
03-15-2009, 05:05 PM
i just want pops back dude =[

Mal
03-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Screw this plan. Bosh sucks. He disapears in match ending. Not a leader. His team sucks, despite pretty good roster.

Texas_Ranger
03-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Fuck Bosh! The only big guy I want on this team is Al Jefferson!

Chieflion
03-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Screw this plan. Bosh sucks. He disapears in match ending. Not a leader. His team sucks, despite pretty good roster.

What? His team is a piece of shit. Who wants to stay in Toronto anyway? No wonder VC wanted out.

Kapono and Banks have the worst MLE contracts for their skills. That is 10 million. Marion is a loser who cannot play half court offense to save his life. Jose Calderon cannot defend a scarecrow and makes empty assists, ya and he is tied up for like 45 million for the next 5 years. You have Joey Graham who does not even have skills. He has only Bargnani and that is a flawed frontline with Bosh and Bargnani.

Nice roster there.

angelbelow
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
putting our team in the best possible position to win now while establishing a great outlook for our future should be the plan.

HarlemHeat37
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
we have NO chance at Bosh, sorry..

The Truth #6
03-15-2009, 08:16 PM
The Spurs might wait only to see if salaries deflate. Seriously.

coyotes_geek
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
The 2010 dream is dead. It died once the economy went to shit and the reality set in that a salary cap that had been going up $2-$3 mil a year would actually be lower for 2010-2011 than it is this year.