PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: I Love Neither This Bar Nor Grill, And Other Spurs Thoughts

duncan228
03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I love neither this bar nor grill, and other Spurs thoughts (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/03/i-love-neither.html)
By Jeff McDonald

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Random thoughts on the Spurs, while wondering how much money someone would have to pay me before I ventured into a place called Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill ...

* First, Drew Gooden. You have to like what you're seeing out of him so far. He had 13 points in 15 minutes against the Rockets. Though scouts have long wondered about his basketball IQ, and he remains injury prone, Gooden gives the Spurs something they haven't had in a long time -- somebody to score in the post when Tim Duncan goes to the bench.

Duncan said last night it was the first time in a long time he can recall the Spurs running a post-up play for another other than himself. I asked him who the last player was the Spurs had who possessed that capability. "Not since David, probably," was the answer. David Robinson retired in 2003, by the way.

* It is still early in the process of integrating Gooden into the rotation, but a couple of things are becoming evident. One, Gooden will probably come off the bench for the remainder of the year. The Spurs have to love the oomph he gives that second unit.

Secondly, Fabricio Oberto is probably going to be the biggest minutes loser here. Based on what we've seen lately, he will hardly play at all once Gooden gets up to full speed. Once the playoffs get near and Gregg Popovich shortens his rotation, the Spurs will probably only use three primary big men. The guess here is that Matt Bonner loses more of his minutes to Gooden than Kurt Thomas will.

* Anybody notice Bruce Bowen's line last night? He played 4.2 seconds. The last 4.2 seconds, when Popovich inserted him to help stop the Rockets' final gasp. He is losing minutes to Ime Udoka, who has emerged from the rotation scrapheap this month, as well as to George Hill, who has shifted from backup point guard to backup off guard.

Hill also appears to have assumed Bowen's mantle as the Spurs' perimeter stopper designate, closing three consecutive games on the floor. This should say a little about what the Spurs think of Bowen, but more about what they think of Hill. They believe he has the makings to be a defensive star.

* Don't read too much into Manu Ginobili's appearance on the Spurs' road trip. The Spurs brought all 15 members of their roster on this trip, including the injured Ginobili and Ian Mahinmi, in the name of team camaraderie.

"We've sort of got a big family now, so we might as well let them all get together and enjoy each other down the stretch," Popovich said.

Ginobili's rehabilitation for a stress reaction in his right ankle continues. Popovich says he won't start to worry about the relative slowness of his recovery until next week. If Ginobili isn't on the practice court before Thursday, Popovich said, then it's time to worry.

timvp
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Though scouts have long wondered about his basketball IQ, and he remains injury prone, Gooden gives the Spurs something they haven't had in a long time -- somebody to score in the post when Tim Duncan goes to the bench.
Injury prone? In his more than three and a half seasons with Cleveland, he didn't start in a grand total of six games. He's played in more games since coming into the league than any member of the Big Three.

Gooden is a lot of thing but injury prone isn't one of them.

completely deck
03-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Injury prone? In his more than three and a half seasons with Cleveland, he didn't start in a grand total of six games. He's played in more games since coming into the league than any member of the Big Three.

I remember reading that too when I read up on him.

Yorae
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Hmm, since Gooden will come off the bench. Hope the Gooden Ginobili tandem will work like magic. double g!

alchemist
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
loved the way Gooden got into Scola's head, that toughness is very valuable.

polandprzem
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Well I think Bonner will lose more then Oberto in the playoffs.
Matt has been in decrease quite a while and in the playoffs when he will get more attention his producion will go dramaticly down IMO.
This is where Gooden comes to play. And Oberto's role will be the same. He has high bb IQ and experience to play in important games.

superbigtime
03-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Scola had some very nice plays but was offset by Gooden.

NRHector
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Scola had some very nice plays but was offset by Gooden.goood god, nice pic:toast

The Truth #6
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM

I'm guessing he was extrapolating this idea from Gooden's lingering groin/hernia injury.

I think it's a funny coincidence that we're praising Gooden's ability to play on the post after his solid play against Scola - the player they said wouldn't fit along with Tim because he likes to play in the post. It seems funny that people actually bought the argument that we shouldn't have a 2nd post presence on the team. TD has always needed an enforcer/banger to complement his game. I only wonder how much less of a beating TD would have taken if we didn't spend so many years surrounding him solely with shooters, including at the post position.

Also - people say we haven't had a legit post player since David Robinson. While it's true David was a post player he was not a banger and could not back a player down like Gooden can. Other than TD when was the last time we had a player like that, really? Terry Cummings? Antoine Carr? I'm actually somewhat serious.

Blackjack
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Duncan said last night it was the first time in a long time he can recall the Spurs running a post-up play for another other than himself. I asked him who the last player was the Spurs had who possessed that capability. "Not since David, probably," was the answer. David Robinson retired in 2003, by the way.

I'm sure it's happened once or twice over the years, but it was pretty strange seeing Pop call 4-down with Timmy on the bench.:wow

superbigtime
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm guessing he was extrapolating this idea from Gooden's lingering groin/hernia injury.

I think it's a funny coincidence that we're praising Gooden's ability to play on the post after his solid play against Scola - the player they said wouldn't fit along with Tim because he likes to play in the post. It seems funny that people actually bought the argument that we shouldn't have a 2nd post presence on the team. TD has always needed an enforcer/banger to complement his game. I only wonder how much less of a beating TD would have taken if we didn't spend so many years surrounding him solely with shooters, including at the post position.

Also - people say we haven't had a legit post player since David Robinson. While it's true David was a post player he was not a banger and could not back a player down like Gooden can. Other than TD when was the last time we had a player like that, really? Terry Cummings? Antoine Carr? I'm actually somewhat serious.

Nice points...I don't think that many people really bought into the idea that Scola wouldn't fit w Tim just because of redundant post play...I never did. I think it was more like fans trying to console themselves for an office screw up by lying to themselves. Sort of like, oh, we don't need that guy anyway. You know, sour grapes. Gooden is the real deal and a fantastic find, especially for the $ and at this point in the season. oh and Antoine Carr...sucked! So un-clutch. TC was a stud bruiser.

Blackjack
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM

I too, wouldn't call him injury prone, but I did always seem to hear about him playing through shit.

Maybe it was just the standard bumps and bruises every NBA player goes through, throughout the course of the year, and he was just open to talking about them?(something foreign to Spurs fans, since it's not something Spurs players typically do)

MI21
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Why does McDonald start a ridiculous amount of articles by saying that he was doing something else, or wondering about something, and then decided to write the article?

Maybe the articles would be worth reading if he actually had his full focus on, you know, writing the articles...

crc21209
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Alot of McDonald's articles are kinda....dont wanna be mean but....pointless? lol.. Its just like this thoughts. Anyway...I think Manu should be ok by Thursday to practice at least. He's been shooting spot up 3's with some movement now and of course there would be some soreness there since he hadnt done anything on it in a while, so I'm not too worried about it.

The Truth #6
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I would love for Manu to practice by Thursday but I don't know how us fans have any insight as to his diagnosis. I'm sure even the experts are not even 100% on what is going on.

Spursmania
03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I am chomping on the bit waiting for Manu's return. Let's hope we don't have to wait too much longer. Gooden's groin better be healthy and stay healthy for the play-offs. We need both of them.

superbigtime
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I would love for Manu to practice by Thursday but I don't know how us fans have any insight as to his diagnosis. I'm sure even the experts are not even 100% on what is going on.

Haha, yes they do. He just needs time to heal.

Manudona
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM

For some reason I can't read your posts...

exstatic
03-15-2009, 11:08 PM

People wanted to pair Scola and Duncan in the starting lineup, which wouldn't work anymore than pairing Duncan and Gooden. If you'll notice, Drew's going to be brought off the bench, spelling Duncan.

Scola had no jumper to speak of coming into the league, nor was his rebounding rate very high in Euroleague. He'd have been stuck in our big man rotation and likely not developed nearly as quickly. Gooden is much more a known quantity now than Scola was when we traded his rights.

People need to get past this.

EricB
03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Get past Scola?

Never...

itzsoweezee
03-16-2009, 12:26 AM
People wanted to pair Scola and Duncan in the starting lineup, which wouldn't work anymore than pairing Duncan and Gooden. If you'll notice, Drew's going to be brought off the bench, spelling Duncan.

Scola had no jumper to speak of coming into the league, nor was his rebounding rate very high in Euroleague. He'd have been stuck in our big man rotation and likely not developed nearly as quickly. Gooden is much more a known quantity now than Scola was when we traded his rights.

people will get past it if people like you stop making these stupid arguments. admit it was a dumb move and get on with it.

The Truth #6
03-16-2009, 12:34 AM

First, the issue was the idea that another post player couldn't find a place on the team alongside TD. Gooden, in just a few minutes on the court, has proven this idea to be obviously false.

Yet, somehow, you're trying to marginilize this issue and find some way to disagree with it by focusing on Scola and all the baggage his name brings on the board, even though the concept of a second post player on the team is an idea that you actually admit to agreeing with.

Your characterization of Scola as being second rate and the Spurs having a plethora of quality big men is basically fantasy. Gooden is hardly a known quantity. Before he played well in about 20 minutes for us, he was nothing but a mystery as he was on the way to being a highly drafted journeyman with low BBIQ, known mainly for bad hairstyles and impersonating a Cypress Hill roadie.

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM

I can't read your posts either when I'm at work. I have to scroll quickly past you-it's a pain.