PDA

View Full Version : Not so fast Jeff Van Gundy?

Rummpd
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Yesterday during a Kobe love fest JVG also said that Gasol (who was having a particularily effective game, ala, against no defense Dirk) was BY FAR the "best #2 player" in the NBA.

Personally I am not so sure about that off the cuff statement as a case can easily be made for:

1) Paul Pierce or Garnett - pick em as number 1 - 2 on that club - particuarily Pierce who outplayed Kobe in the finals deserves serious consideration
2) Either Manu or Parker (both have accomplished far more in their career, particularily a healthy Manu on the international scene as well). I believe that a healthy Manu in a playoff game has often brought much more than Gasol so far proven and Parker has a finals MVP.

Less solid case for
3) David West behind Chris Paul
4) A healthy TMac next to Yao Ming
5) Stoudemire and/or Nash these days.

Others to consider?

Dex
03-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I think you nailed most of the likely candidates. One might argue Boozer, as I see Boozer and Gasol pretty much being a wash.

JVG lost all credibility for that rant when he started agreeing with Phil Jackson that Pau Gasol is a better player than Shaq.

"Shaq was more dominant, but Gasol has more skill"

I'll admit that Gasol has looked much better with the Lakers than his time in Memphis, but I'm still about to lump this guy into the Bynum/Oden hype club.

m33p0
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
he's an alumni of bill walton's school of hyperbole. another noted alum is bill simmons.

2Cleva
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Gasol has had a great year - better than KG and Ginobili easy.

I agree Parker has been slightly better but Gasol has been great. He'll be 2nd team All-NBA and I can see him even challenging Duncan for first team because injuries have caused Tim to fall off slightly.

Rummpd
03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Gasol has had a great year - better than KG and Ginobili easy.

I agree Parker has been slightly better but Gasol has been great. He'll be 2nd team All-NBA and I can see him even challenging Duncan for first team because injuries have caused Tim to fall off slightly.

Fact is Gasol has yet to prove it when it counts. He might still but to be truly in the top tier of players (especially with Kobe at his back) he needs to win at least one championship as a sidekick first. Gasol is a great talent and a great player but when has he ever memorably won an important game down the stretch, ala Pierce last year in several unreal performances, or Manu or Parker during the Spurs last championship run?

Rummpd
03-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Gasol

2008-09 Statistics
PPG 18.6 RPG 9.40 APG 3.5 EFF + 24.65 Born: Jul 6, 1980
Height: 7-0 / 2,13
Weight: 250 lbs. / 113,4 kg.
Years Pro: 7

Garnett
2008-09 Statistics
PPG 16.3 RPG 8.80 APG 2.6 EFF + 21.66 Born: May 19, 1976
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 253 lbs. / 114,8 kg.
High School: Farragut Academy HS (IL)
Years Pro: 13

Parker
2008-09 Statistics
PPG 21.2 RPG 2.90 APG 6.7 EFF + 19.33 Born: May 17, 1982
Height: 6-2 / 1,88
Weight: 180 lbs. / 81,6 kg.
Years Pro: 7

I will buy that Gasol is by the standard of player efficiency the best year, but he has not had to play through injuries and also plays on a higher scoring offense.

Garnett is still >> a better player than Gasol any day of the week bring his defensive intensity into the equation, and to even discuss Duncan in the same breadth with Gasol is absurd.

Put Duncan in place of Gasol on the Lakers and the Lakers would be instantly among the best team in the history of the NBA while the Spurs would regress. Duncan's defense is far superior as is his leadership and all around game.

MI21
03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Gasol is an amazing player. His post game is even underutilized in LA because of the triangle and the way the team shares the ball. His defense isn't as bad as made out to be, he is a great passer and he rebounds pretty well now.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Put Duncan in place of Gasol on the Lakers and the Lakers would be instantly among the best team in the history of the NBA while the Spurs would regress. Duncan's defense is far superior as is his leadership and all around game.

Duncan and Kobe.....:wow

z0sa
03-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Duncan and Kobe.....:wow

Duncan+Kobe woulda been >>>> Shaq+Kobe ... they'd be going for their tenth straight championship in LA as opposed to their 7th straight embarassment.

SPURS21
03-16-2009, 10:56 AM
He also argued yesterday that Gasol isn't even in the 10 best shooting big men from Spain, and that Gasol's face up jumper is average at best...

JVG=Bill Walton Jr.

arodz
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
You know, the one thing I don't understand is why most teams aren't more physical with Gasol. He's a fucking cupcake and when you muscle him out, he folds like a cheap blanket. It frusrates me to see teams play him so soft when it's so easy to take him out of his game. I'm really hoping Gooden will do that for the Spurs.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
You know, the one thing I don't understand is why most teams aren't more physical with Gasol. He's a fucking cupcake and when you muscle him out, he folds like a cheap blanket. It frusrates me to see teams play him so soft when it's so easy to take him out of his game. I'm really hoping Gooden will do that for the Spurs.

HAHA Gasol would embaress Gooden on the block. Sad to say :(

z0sa
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
HAHA Gasol would embaress Gooden on the block. Sad to say :(

Difference here is that Gooden could easily do the same .. Gasoft is like a used kleenex man to man.