PDA

View Full Version : Hispanic Wal-Mart

JudynTX
03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Retail giant Wal-Mart (WMT) will open its first Hispanic-focused supermarkets this summer in Arizona and Texas. The stores will feature Spanish speaking staff and new layouts, products, and signage that will be "relevant to local Hispanic customers."

The stores, dubbed Supermercado de Walmart, will appear in converted Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market stores in Phoenix and Houston. Separately, the company also plans on converting a Sam's Club warehouse into a Hispanic-themed Más Club.

Some of this reflects Wal-Mart's U.S. stores chief Eduardo Castro-Wright's previous experience in the company's Mexican subsidiary. But it also reflects the realization that by 2042, according to the Census Bureau, ethnic and racial minorities will represent a majority of the U.S. population. So instead of apple pies and hamburger buns; get ready for Latino pastries and tortillas.

Now that the sales boost from penny-pinching consumers is peaking, it's nice to see the company ramping up capital investment plans in search of new sources of growth. Prior to the recession, the company was focused on revamping existing locations with sushi bars and faux-wood floors. Besides the multi-cultural efforts, Wal-Mart is pushing forward on its Marketside convenience store concept.

It appears that the "consumer trade-down" investment theme is over, as shares have come under pressure since the beginning of the year. There are rising concerns that the Obama Administration's support of the pro-union Employee Free Choice Act will likely translate into much higher labor costs across the company's U.S. store base. Earlier this week leaders in both the House and the Senate introduced the legislation, so things are moving forward. If passed, the Act would allow employees to unionize if a simple majority wanted to join the union -- waiving the requirement for a secret ballot election that takes place up to 50 days after employees petition for representation.

Citigroup analysts downgraded the stock this week on these concerns. The obvious outcome for Wal-Mart is higher hourly wages, increased benefits, and decreased scheduling flexibility. As a result, the retailer will likely be forced to raise prices to protect margins -- undermining the company's main competitive advantage.

In anticipation of rising costs associated with a unionized workforce, Wal-Mart is looking to grow the top-line by opening its powerful supply chain to new markets. From Hispanic shoppers to inner city vegans, a wider swath of the population will soon benefit from the company's massive scale. Also worth mentioning is the push into retail health care services. But these are long-term growth stories. In the near-term, investors will continue to be pressured by the negative sentiment surrounding the card-check legislation.

link (http://http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/03/13/wal-mart-goes-bilingual.aspx)

mrsmaalox
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds like they actually completed that project many, many years ago LOL

AlamoSpursFan
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Sounds like they actually completed that project many, many years ago LOL

:lol

Why do hispanic folks seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to pack up their toddlers and head to Wal-Mart at 1 in the morning? I actually saw a girl almost lose it because her kiddo wouldn't stop crying and she actually said "What is your problem? Be quiet!" I couldn't resist answering for the kid. I told her "He's sleepy. It's one a.m." and walked away. I'm sure she stared all kinds of daggers at my back, but it felt good.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
i remember one time i was doing a late night wally world run and i was in the ass wipe/computer paper aisle. they had an announcement on the intercom then it was repeated in spanish. there was this old grumpy white man right by me that looked up at the speaker with the most horrid look of disgust. he let out a "g--dam mexicans" and stormed away. i was cracking up for a while over that

JudynTX
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Why do hispanic folks seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to pack up their toddlers and head to Wal-Mart at 1 in the morning? I actually saw a girl almost lose it because her kiddo wouldn't stop crying and she actually said "What is your problem? Be quiet!" I couldn't resist answering for the kid. I told her "He's sleepy. It's one a.m." and walked away. I'm sure she stared all kinds of daggers at my back, but it felt good.

:lol Yea, you think it's going to be nice and quiet at 1 in the morning, but it's not.

Blake
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Ive seen plenty of folk of all races do that kind of stuff at 1am.

It's also an accepted practice to leave the dirty diapers in the parking lot for the rest of us to roll over the next day.

Blake
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
:lol Yea, you think it's going to be nice and quiet at 1 in the morning, but it's not.

what's great too is that you think you are just going to get a few things amd run in and out.

Problem is that there is only one cashier at 1am and there is always someone with two baskets full of WIC items.

JudynTX
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
what's great too is that you think you are just going to get a few things amd run in and out.

Problem is that there is only one cashier at 1am and there is always someone with two baskets full of WIC items.

Yea no shit. :lol I only needed a new coffee machine, came out with bags of crap.

Ginofan
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I fucking can't stand wal-mart. Not just because of mexicans, because of everyone! No matter what time you go it's ALWAYS packed, I once went at 4:30 in the morning on my way to work to pick up something and they had lines out the wazoo, I was so ticked. And for some reason all of the STUPID people seem to love to congregate in the middle of the aisle I need to go down. Fuck it, I'll pay a dollar more and go to Target.

jman3000
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
lmao @ ASF thinking it's exclusively a hispanic practice of going to wal mart late at night with a baby. every ethnic group has its fair share of trash.

mrsmaalox
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Also the risk of getting flattened by a pallett of Great Value fabric softener is high.

AlamoSpursFan
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
And for some reason all of the STUPID people seem to love to congregate in the middle of the aisle I need to go down. Fuck it, I'll pay a dollar more and go to Target.

HEB has this problem too.

As does the Target at City Base.

jman3000
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
and walmart blows balls.

it's only good for late night quick shopping runs... and even then it has issues because they never have enough fucking cashiers.

if there was a nearby 24 HEB i'd go there instead.

AlamoSpursFan
03-16-2009, 11:14 AM
lmao @ ASF thinking it's exclusively a hispanic practice of going to wal mart late at night with a baby. every ethnic group has its fair share of trash.

I didn't mean to imply that it was exclusively hispanic, but I regularly do the late nite WalMart thing, because that's usually when I'm headed home, and more often than not, the crying toddlers are hispanic.

I went to a WalMart in El Paso one night at 2:30. Looked like a freaking play date.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
lmao @ asf thinking it's exclusively a hispanic practice of going to wal mart late at night with a baby. Every ethnic group has its fair share of trash.

+1

ashbeeigh
03-16-2009, 11:17 AM
As if some HEB Plus locations weren't bad enough.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 11:18 AM
I've seen plenty of snot nosed, whining and crying babies of ALL racial backgrounds at all times of the day and night.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
As if some HEB Plus locations weren't bad enough.

I'm not surprised you feel that way. :lol

marini martini
03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Just get in a motorized wheelchair, and run over their azzes.:toast

jaffies
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Hispanic Wal-Mart

Wally Martinez???

Hoveround
03-16-2009, 11:25 AM
just get in a motorized wheelchair, and run over their azzes.:toast

+1

Whisky Dog
03-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I didn't mean to imply that it was exclusively hispanic, but I regularly do the late nite WalMart thing, because that's usually when I'm headed home, and more often than not, the crying toddlers are hispanic.

I went to a WalMart in El Paso one night at 2:30. Looked like a freaking play date.

Well, there you go.

easjer
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I have a feeling, based on the article and experience that one of the Houston stores being converted will be the WM I normally shop at. . . oh well, there is a super Target just down the street from there that is less crowded and a lot more clean.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a feeling, based on the article and experience that one of the Houston stores being converted will be the WM I normally shop at. . . oh well, there is a super Target just down the street from there that is less crowded and a lot more clean.

So just because of the conversion you'll stop shopping there!?!?

Whisky Dog
03-16-2009, 11:30 AM
One thing I hate about going into Walmart are the lazy fat ass people that roll around in the electric carts because they're too fat and lazy to walk. Then the really old and/or crippled people that actually need them can't get them.

marini martini
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Just get in a motorized wheelchair, and run over their azzes.:toast

One thing I hate about going into Walmart are the lazy fat ass people that roll around in the electric carts because they're too fat and lazy to walk.

Awwww lighten up, and live a little!!!:toast

:lmao

Extra Stout
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Target's whole business model is basically "pay slightly higher prices in exchange for not having to deal with the Wal-Mart clientele."

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
One thing I hate about going into Walmart are the lazy fat ass people that roll around in the electric carts because they're too fat and lazy to walk. Then the really old and/or crippled people that actually need them can't get them.
i went this weekend and this lady had 2 boxes of butter and a bag of oreo double stuffs in her basket.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Target's whole business model is basically "pay slightly higher prices in exchange for not having to deal with the Wal-Mart clientele."good point. i never thought of it that way.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Target's whole business model is basically "pay slightly higher prices in exchange for not having to deal with the Wal-Mart clientele."

That is why I don't shop at Target. My business model is to save money. :lol

CuckingFunt
03-16-2009, 12:20 PM

It's not a matter of being trash. It's not an ideal situation, but lots of people have jobs that only allow them to run errands like that at odd times of the day/night and childcare is hard to come by at 1:00 AM. For a while my mom was working three jobs to support the two of us and she had to take me along all kinds of places in the middle of the night (grocery shopping and on her pizza route a few times) because it was a better option than leaving me home alone. Shit happens.

Extra Stout
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
That is why I don't shop at Target. My business model is to save money. :lol
I ate at Taqueria Arandas for lunch with my wife's family a couple of weeks ago. Six people ate for $23. At White People Restaurant, that feeds two, not six.

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
The Forbes "richest people in the world" list just came out. I noticed that a 4 way tie for 26th were all named Walton. That was impressive. Combine them and they would be the richest in the world ahead of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

desflood
03-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I ate at Taqueria Arandas for lunch with my wife's family a couple of weeks ago. Six people ate for $23. At White People Restaurant, that feeds two, not six.

We like the Chinese Kitchen on Wurzbach and Evers. Decent Chinese food, good service and all five of us eat for around $30.

HeadBanger
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
The Forbes "richest people in the US" list just came out. I noticed that #11, #12, #13, and #14 were all named Walton. That was impressive.

All thanks to papa walton.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

We like the Chinese Kitchen on Wurzbach and Evers. Decent Chinese food, good service and all five of us eat for around $30.
not bad. what's dog and cat going for by the pound these days?

easjer
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Not necessarily. But if it is staffed with Spanish-speaking staff only, if there are no signs in English or English descriptions on products then I'm stuck. I don't speak/read Spanish. I took French in high school and college.

I shop more often at the Target anyway. But if the store changed in such a way that I couldn't find my way around or get assistance, then yeah, I wouldn't shop there. Is that really all that crazy? I don't shop in Chinatown's Asian markets or at the Indian specialty markets for the same reason.

It has nothing to do with not liking people of Hispanic origin. If it converts and I can get what I want/need, then no biggie. It sounds like a smart marketing strategy and more power to them.

I can either go to a different location or I can go to the SuperTarget.

Blake
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
good point. i never thought of it that way.

that used to be Albertson's motif vs HEB...... just catch all of the stragglers that don't want to stand in line at HEB.....

in the end, people don't mind standing in line for an extra 10 minutes if it means saving $2.

Blake
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
The Forbes "richest people in the world" list just came out. I noticed that a 4 way tie for 26th were all named Walton. That was impressive. Combine them and they would be the richest in the world ahead of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

If you've ever read the story of Sam, he basically lived on a few pennies of every dollar he made until he got going...

...and now his offspring get to live high on the arkiesaw hog. I guess that's how it works...

stretch
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
lol, mexican wal mart

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
that used to be Albertson's motif vs HEB...... just catch all of the stragglers that don't want to stand in line at HEB.....

in the end, people don't mind standing in line for an extra 10 minutes if it means saving $2.

The wife and I went grocery shopping early Sunday morning and we pissed off a lady who was behind us because my wife had some rain checks and the checker had problems keying them in and then we had over $30 in coupons. :(

EricB
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Damn Wal Mart is smart.

I'm jealous of their business intelligence.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
the only thing i can say is....Fail

WHAT NEXT? change the anthem to spanish?

gtfo...

Extra Stout
03-16-2009, 03:58 PM

gtfo...
Pffft... it already is. "Jose, can you see..."

j-6
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM

I saw a old man bitching to the equally old greeter at my local Wally World once about how the fat people can't even walk to the food these days.

EricB
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM

gtfo...

It's anything but fail.

Its working to a growing population and its pandering to majority of said populations in these areas.

It hurts no one, but the people that will shop there will love it and spend alot there.

WalMart is genius.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
It's anything but fail.

Its working to a growing population and its pandering to majority of said populations in these areas.

It hurts no one, but the people that will shop there will love it and spend alot there.

WalMart is genius.

I concur.

Just like the Shops at La Cantera. They cater to their area. And that is why I've never shopped there.

ginomvp
03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
It's anything but fail.

WalMart is genius.
thats great for wal-mart but the fact of the matter is that we are making it easy for people to live their lives never learning to speak english. imo we do not need to cater to people who are too lazy to learn our NATIONAL language. people seem to forget that the US is an ENGLISH speaking country period.

desflood
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't believe the U.S. has an official national language.

ginomvp
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't believe the U.S. has an official national language.
ur kidding right? what language was the declaration of independence written in? english is the correct answer and we need to make sure that everyone who wants to live here full time needs to become fluent in english.

jack sommerset
03-16-2009, 06:18 PM

I wouldn't shop there. I speak english. Why would I go to a Walmart that specializes in Hispanics. That a pretty big message for me not to shop there.

desflood
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html

PuttPutt
03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Damn Wal Mart is smart.

I'm jealous of their business intelligence.

This is nothing new in the grocery biz. they are following what other grocery chains have done. ie HEB. They did this years ago.

EricB
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
This is nothing new in the grocery biz. they are following what other grocery chains have done. ie HEB. They did this years ago.

Grocery stores are one thing, but doing it with a full STORE is another IMO.

ploto
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Personally, I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, but here goes:

Wal-Mart vs. Target: No Contest in the Recession

While Wal-Mart, the largest company in the world, has always dwarfed rival Target ($406 billion in annual revenues vs. Target's $65 billion), until recently Target had been decisively winning the growth game. From 2003 to 2007, Target's annual same-store sales growth averaged 4.6%, while Wal-Mart's clocked in at 2.9%. Over the same period, Target's annual profit growth averaged 16%, while Wal-Mart lagged behind at 10.3%. "Target was frying Wal-Mart's brains out," says Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a national retail investment-banking and consulting firm.

At the onset of the recession, however, Target and Wal-Mart saw their fortunes flip. Target's same-store sales have fallen for eight straight months; Wal-Mart's have risen for 22 straight months. Target's 2008 same-store sales fell 2.6%, while Wal-Mart's rose 3.3%. More recently, Target's February sales dropped 4.1%, while Wal-Mart enjoyed a 5.1% jump. (See the best business deals of 2008.)

More important, Target's profits last year dropped a stunning 22.3%, to $2.2 billion. That figure includes a 40.7% earnings collapse in the fourth quarter. Wal-Mart's 2008 bottom line rose 5.9%, to $13.5 billion. Now Target is getting trounced.

Davidowitz notes that a "double whammy" is driving Target down. First, the retailer's product mix is not ideal in this economy. According to Davidowitz, Target devotes some 40% of its shelf space to home and apparel items, which are struggling, while setting aside less than 20% for consumables like food, health items and beauty products. Wal-Mart sets aside 45% of its space for consumables. "Wal-Mart sells what you need to have," says Davidowitz, "as opposed to what you want to have." Not only does Wal-Mart sell more of the grocery items you need — the company is the world's largest food retailer — it sells them at better prices. Britt Beemer, founder of America's Research Group (ARG), says customers have fled Target because they think of the company as an apparel retailer and believe that the groceries it does sell are overpriced. (See Real Simple's saving and budgeting tips.)

The second whammy on Target's performance is its credit business. Target is one of the last major retailers to own a part of its credit-card portfolio. When consumers are drowning in mortgage and other credit-card debt, they often ignore retail-card obligations. Rising defaults and delinquencies have dragged earnings. In 2008 credit-card profits dropped 80.5%, to $155 million, and the company incurred a $135 million pre-tax loss on its credit segment in the fourth quarter. "The company did great with its credit business when the economy was up, but now that it's down, carrying your own credit is devastating," says Davidowitz. At least Target can be grateful it made one smart move: in May, the company sold 47% of its receivables to JPMorgan Chase for $3.6 billion. Without that move, the devastation would be much worse.

So how is Target responding to the malaise? The credit distress is hard to control, but the company has promised to tighten lending standards and increase collections. On the product side, the company knows it must offer more essentials. "We continue to invest in our food offering in recognition of its importance in driving greater frequency, increasing guest loyalty and making Target a preferred shopping destination," CEO Gregg Steinhafel said during Target's fourth-quarter earnings call. For example, last year the company opened its first distribution center for perishable goods like fruits, vegetables and meats in Lake City, Fla. Target is slated to open another distribution center this year, in Cedar Falls, Iowa. "That's a major step," says Davidowitz. "Controlling your own distribution can improve food freshness on the shelves, and it allows you to hold on to more of the margins."

Steinhafel also said that Target would sell perishables in most new and remodeled general-merchandise stores; the retailer plans to open 75 new locations this year. The company already sells meat and produce in its 245 "SuperTarget" locations (Target has 1,700 stores nationwide). Target has already enhanced its food investment in two general-merchandise stores in the Minneapolis area. Davidowitz, for one, is impressed. "When I checked the perishables, they are very fresh, very well presented, very appetizing, and people were buying them," he says. (See the top 10 food trends of 2008.)

Despite these efforts, Target's transformation won't guarantee success. It's hard for a retailer to shake its reputation as a clothing outlet, while at the same time quickly mastering the management of perishable grocery items. "You can't just flip the switch and change the store overnight," says David Heupel, a senior equity portfolio manager at Thirvent Financial in Minneapolis. Plus, if Target drops grocery prices below Wal-Mart's levels, the big boy will quickly respond. "There's no reason to put a stick in the bear's eye," says Ed Weller, a retail analyst at ThinkEquity Partners.

What's more, Wal-Mart isn't just some massive outlet that peddles cheap wares; it has focused on food for a long time, and is really hitting a stride during the recession. "Wal-Mart works hard to build a strategy around groceries," says ARG's Beemer. "They look at groceries as a way to get people in the store for the first time. Target sees it as an add-on sale." In a research note titled "It's Wal-Mart's Time & Investors' Opportunity," Deutsche Bank analyst Bill Dreher Jr. wrote, "Bottom line, Wal-Mart is executing flawlessly."

Can Target reach Wal-Mart's level of excellence? It may have to rethink its mission. Issac Mizrahi is nice. But now shoppers want to see meat and potatoes.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1885133,00.html

ploto
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Why would I go to a Walmart that specializes in Hispanics.

When I lived in Houston a million years ago, the closest grocery to me was called Fiesta Mart- not part of the stores in SA- and it was completely geared toward Hispanic customers. I agree, why would I shop there when they did not even carry what I wanted? I drove to Randall's.

ginomvp
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html
Well i stand corrected but i still feel that the english should be our official language. i mean if i want to live in any other country in the world i would have to learn their language. if i didnt i wouldnt get anywhere in life. but for some reason here all that doesnt matter.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't shop there. I speak english. Why would I go to a Walmart that specializes in Hispanics. That a pretty big message for me not to shop there.

Hum, I know many people who don't speak English and they shop at places that don't cater to Hispanics. Money speaks in all languages.

Ginofan
03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Not just because of Mexicans? Dude you're in the wrong city loser.:lol

Maybe you misunderstood...I said "not just because of mexicans" because the previous posts like ASF's. I was born here, I know this is a hispanic city, wtf is YOUR problem?

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
It's not often I agree with TPark, but as Joe C alluded to... if I'm a business owner, I don't give a rat's ass what color, religion, race, sexual orientation or whatever you are. If you want to give me your money, I'll happily sell you my wares.

easjer
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Well i stand corrected but i still feel that the english should be our official language. i mean if i want to live in any other country in the world i would have to learn their language. if i didnt i wouldnt get anywhere in life. but for some reason here all that doesnt matter.

Your wish doesn't make it so.

Huge cross-sections of Americans speak Spanish. Large numbers speak Chinese and/or Vietnamese, and that number is growing.

Your point might be valid if this country had a national language, but as we don't . . . it's moot.

Extra Stout
03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
If the Wal-Mart isn't selling Coke with cane sugar in glass bottles, it isn't really Hispanic.

exstatic
03-16-2009, 11:11 PM
ur kidding right? what language was the declaration of independence written in? english is the correct answer and we need to make sure that everyone who wants to live here full time needs to become fluent in english.

Why? I'm a big believer in letting people go to hell in their own hand baskets. The ones that don't assimilate or learn English tend to stay in menial dead end jobs, and are therefor NOT competing for my white collar job.

Viva Espanol

EricB
03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
It's not often I agree with TPark, but as Joe C alluded to... if I'm a business owner, I don't give a rat's ass what color, religion, race, sexual orientation or whatever you are. If you want to give me your money, I'll happily sell you my wares.

Exactly.

Money is the same color from every race.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Why? I'm a big believer in letting people go to hell in their own hand baskets. The ones that don't assimilate or learn English tend to stay in menial dead end jobs, and are therefor NOT competing for my white collar job.

Viva Espanol

That may be true in some fields but for some knowing how how to speak Spanish, Japanese or Chinese will get you farther than just knowing English. It is a global economy.

mrsmaalox
03-17-2009, 12:57 AM
That may be true in some fields but for some knowing how how to speak Spanish, Japanese or Chinese will get you farther than just knowing English. It is a global economy.

This country just doesn't value multi-lingualism like they do abroad. All over Europe most people speak a minimum of 2 languages and very often more. And almost everyone speaks English.

Avitus1
03-17-2009, 01:27 AM
I wonder if I'll be able to buy cheap Los Spurs jerseys there.

exstatic
03-17-2009, 07:34 AM

I'm not talking multi-linguists, Joe. I'm talking poor uneducated people in the U.S.A. that ONLY speak Spanish. Those people are, and will always be self-limited.

Whisky Dog
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Wal-Mart learned a long time ago that customer service doesn't mean shit if you have prices that are lower than everyone else's, especially in times like these.

Relative cleanliness doesn't mean shit.
Having a competent or even english speaking employee group doesn't mean shit.
Having a clean and neat store doesn't mean shit.
Having a parking lot that isn't full of dirty diapers and 100s of loose shopping carts doesn't mean shit.
Keeping lines down by actually using more than 10% of the available checkout lanes doesn't mean shit.

Bottom line - make the person believe they're saving any money at all and they'll endure all sorts of bullshit. They may whine and complain from time to time, but they'll be back over and over again.

jack sommerset
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Hum, I know many people who don't speak English and they shop at places that don't cater to Hispanics. Money speaks in all languages.

I bet half of those people are illegals. Dude this really is stupid. I live in Plano Texas. We have a huge ass grocery store/outlet stores that cater to asians. I went there once and will never go back. 98 percent of the store were items I would never ever buy. The other 2 percent I can get where I grocery shop at. The fact they did not speak good english did not help. Meaning they couldn't help me when I asked a question.

If Wal-Mart is going to cater to Hispanics thats cool with me. I will not go there, thats cool with them. There is a market for specialized stores. Thats why they are specialized, they are for a certain market. This Wal-Mart for the Hispanics in not for Germans,French,Canadians or me.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not talking multi-linguists, Joe. I'm talking poor uneducated people in the U.S.A. that ONLY speak Spanish. Those people are, and will always be self-limited.

True. I was just pointing out that only speaking English can also limit ones advancement.

pkbpkb81
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
and walmart blows balls.

it's only good for late night quick shopping runs... and even then it has issues because they never have enough fucking cashiers.

if there was a nearby 24 HEB i'd go there instead.

281 and 1604:toast

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
This country just doesn't value multi-lingualism like they do abroad. All over Europe most people speak a minimum of 2 languages and very often more. And almost everyone speaks English.

I concur.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I wonder if I'll be able to buy cheap Los Spurs jerseys there.
those Los Spurs jerseys, other NBA teams included, are pretty much a mockery. why didn't they just slap "Los Spurso's" or "Los Mavo's" on there. the nba's marketing department could've put a little more thought to it. for starters, "spurs" is a feminine not masculine.

Many PackYao
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Vamonos a Walmarrrrr!!:p:

AlamoSpursFan
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Maybe you misunderstood...I said "not just because of mexicans" because the previous posts like ASF's. I was born here, I know this is a hispanic city, wtf is YOUR problem?

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that I never made any anti-Mexican/Hispanic comments in this thread. I just made an observation... If anyone viewed my comments as offensive, they probably need to lighten the fuck up a bit.

Avitus1
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
those Los Spurs jerseys, other NBA teams included, are pretty much a mockery. why didn't they just slap "Los Spurso's" or "Los Mavo's" on there. the nba's marketing department could've put a little more thought to it. for starters, "spurs" is a feminine not masculine.

Yea a Wal-Mart geared towards hispanics is pretty much a mockery, figured this should go hand and hand.

sribb43
03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
WTF? Aren't all Wal-mart's already under this format

Extra Stout
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Personally, I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, but here goes:

Wal-Mart vs. Target: No Contest in the Recession

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1885133,00.html
It makes sense that Wal-Mart would outperform Target in a recession, for the same reason that McDonald's would outperform, say, Chili's, or Spam would outperform pork. Wal-Mart is what economists call an "inferior good." Its demand increases as consumer income falls. Target is a "normal good."

The journalist probably does not understand high school-level economics, thus the suggestion that Target change its business model to be more like Wal-Mart.

marini martini
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/sc_15_06/l_d80b5522ca194759948f714edeb6ed2e.jpg

mrsmaalox
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
:lmao "Man under 30 without teeth" should be "teef"

desflood
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/sc_15_06/l_d80b5522ca194759948f714edeb6ed2e.jpg
Oh, damn you martini. I have been both "White girl with 3+ multiracial children" and "Someone buying beer and diapers too". :depressed :lmao

mrsmaalox
03-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh, damn you martini. I have been both "White girl with 3+ multiracial children" and "Someone buying beer and diapers too". :depressed :lmao

LOL You are a girl after my own heart!! :tu