PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's health, Robinson-esque?

Flux451
03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Is anyone else thinking about the decline of Robinson and comparing it to the state of Duncan's health? As I recall, sifting through gangja tainted memory, Robinson was out longer with his back though.

It crossed my mind yesterday when reading the articles posted on this site. How he feels he won't be 100% this season, the kind of ailment he has, his age, and high mins.

Makes me sad to think that another great is approaching the end of his career, I just hope we don't see it in the near future.

Muser
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm just glad to of been a fan of this team long enough to be able to watch 2 of the greatest big men in the league play.

Summers
03-16-2009, 11:46 AM
La-la-la-la! I can't hear you!

Bartleby
03-16-2009, 11:47 AM
no

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
happens to lots of big men.....

Galileo
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Duncan's minor injury is nothing compared to what DRob had. Duncan also has more fire and zeal to win and get back to 100%.

The sore knee drop by CIA Pop is nothing more than psychological warefare.

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Duncan's minor injury is nothing compared to what DRob had. Duncan also has more fire and zeal to win and get back to 100%.

The sore knee drop by CIA Pop is nothing more than psychological warefare.

If that's true, then Timmy is the greatest actor of his generation. Because he's looked positively hampered out there lately.

Galileo
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
If that's true, then Timmy is the greatest actor of his generation. Because he's looked positively hampered out there lately.

Jim Brown used to pretend he was injured as well.

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Jim Brown used to pretend he was injured as well.

As I said, if the performance Timmy's been putting on lately is an act and not actually indicative of a nagging injury, give that man an Oscar.

Flux451
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I doubt he is acting. Come on man, why play mins and watch your team lose.

Galileo
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
As I said, if the performance Timmy's been putting on lately is an act and not actually indicative of a nagging injury, give that man an Oscar.

The Spurs are a solid 2nd in the West, with no chance to be first. He is coasting for the playoffs. A lot of NBA players have sore knees. Dr. J played his whole career with chronic sore knees.

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM
The Spurs are a solid 2nd in the West, with no chance to be first. He is coasting for the playoffs. A lot of NBA players have sore knees. Dr. J played his whole career with chronic sore knees.

Agreed. But there's no way he's faking.

spursfan09
03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree Tim is injured, but I think he is being conservative because he wants to save what he has left for the real season that starts soon. If he does not play like we know he can then we will see that somethings up.

z0sa
03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Agreed. But there's no way he's faking.

It's an 82 game season, I'm sure you haven't even played 82 pickup games in your lifetime.

Flux451
03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
It's an 82 game season, I'm sure you haven't even played 82 pickup games in your lifetime.

uncalled for, don't start a sissy fight

hater
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I agree TimmyD has put it in cruise control until the playoffs. But, he is also injured and will definitely not get 100% for playoffs.

I am convinced he can bring it if he really wants to. IMO he is saving himself for the playoffs.

VI_Massive
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM

I don't understand what this has to do with anything we're talking about here. My point is that any notion that Timmy's injury is a CIA Pop tactic is nuts.

hater
03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't understand what this has to do with anything we're talking about here. My point is that any notion that Timmy's injury is a CIA Pop tactic is nuts.

any CIA Pop tactic is nuts when you think about it, doesn't mean it's not possible.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
:pop:

jason1301
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
One could hope that he is saving himself for the playoffs, that's the best case scenario anyways. I am hopeful b/c we won the title back in 2005 when he had his angle strained.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Tim is a tad bit slow to the trained eye (so they claim). Tim is Tim. Best forward of all time...period.

I remember readinng a piece right before the start of the season (the article escapes me right now) and discussed Tim's decline. I am still waiting for "it"....the decline.

What's going to extend Timmy's career is the fact that Tim is slender and lean. Don't get me wrong; Big men always have chronic knee and joint issues but in Timmy's case it's not compounded by weight issues. I really think Tim has a solid 2-3 years of high caliber game in him or longer.

crc21209
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think Timmys injury is quite as serious as DRobs. D-Rob was never the same after his back. Plus, we all know when David 1st got here his game was modeled on athleticism, high flying blocks and dunks. Tim has never been an explosive athletic player so much, he's always been a fundamentalist. Timmy will be fine.

Galileo
03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Just to clarify, I don't think anyone is faking an injury. I just think that this knee injury will not affect Timmy in the playoffs and that CIA Pop is using these reports to lull our competition to sleep.

Galileo
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Tim was in much worse condition in the 2004, 2005, and 2006 playoffs.

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Guys, he had to carry the damn team with the newbies at the beginning of the season when Manu and Tony were out. I remember he put in so many minutes then.

It was said he had a great summer throwing tractor tires and getting into great shape, possibly the best shape he's been in for awhile. The micro tears in his ligament above the knee though will take months to heal. He knows that and the teams doctors know that. But, once the season is over, he'll have time to heal, and he will be back for a few more years.

He's still here and the Spurs are doing great. We're number 2 in the very competitive Western Conference. If they can get past the Lakers, they can bring home the LOB. We have to be excited about the prospect. It won't be easy, but it's too early to be comparing him to when David retired.

Agloco
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Tim was in much worse condition in the 2004, 2005, and 2006 playoffs.

Fail. He didn't have tendinosis then. For those of you not medically-inclined, you need to stop downplaying the potential severity of his condition.

He IS slower, he IS injured, and he's NOT 100%. There's no cloak and dagger routine going on here. The reality is that Timmy has a condition that may continue to hamper him off and on for the rest of his career. Live with it, as I'm sure he will.

tmtcsc
03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Tim is playing injured and I'm not sure people realize how serious it is. Just a quik recap: Tim has tendonosis, not tendintis. The difference between the two is drastic.

First off, the tendon connects the bone to the muscle. Inside the tendon are collagen fibers (thread-like fibers) that provide strength to the tendon. Well, for Tim, those threads are damaged. They are not inflamed, so a cortisone shot wont fix the problem. It is a degenerative injury.

Tendonosis is a more difficult problem to heal with only an 80% chance of resolving. Typical tendonosis can take anywhere from 8 weeks to 9 months to resolve depending on how long you have had the problem. There are quite a few treatment options out there right now but the best protocol seems to be: Relative rest, ice, friction massage, and exercise.

Rest is good, but with the playoffs right around the corner, Tim needs to keep those tendons working. That is why he is trying to play through the pain.

urunobili
03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
:dramaqueen

Flux451
03-16-2009, 02:59 PM
:dramaqueen

sorry, was aiming for your mouth, I promise

Thomas82
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Fail. He didn't have tendinosis then. For those of you not medically-inclined, you need to stop downplaying the potential severity of his condition.

He IS slower, he IS injured, and he's NOT 100%. There's no cloak and dagger routine going on here. The reality is that Timmy has a condition that may continue to hamper him off and on for the rest of his career. Live with it, as I'm sure he will.

No he didn't, but he did have 2 sprained ankles in 2005 when we won it all, and he played the whole 2005-2006 season with plantar faciitis.

Russ
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Apples and Oranges. Robinson depended much more on athleticism than Duncan so his decline was more precipitous.

Duncan's decline will be more graceful, like Abdul-Jabbar's. I just wonder whether he'll get a bunch of gifts on a farewell tour like that charmer AJ did.

Thomas82
03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Tim is playing injured and I'm not sure people realize how serious it is. Just a quik recap: Tim has tendonosis, not tendintis. The difference between the two is drastic.

First off, the tendon connects the bone to the muscle. Inside the tendon are collagen fibers (thread-like fibers) that provide strength to the tendon. Well, for Tim, those threads are damaged. They are not inflamed, so a cortisone shot wont fix the problem. It is a degenerative injury.

Tendonosis is a more difficult problem to heal with only an 80% chance of resolving. Typical tendonosis can take anywhere from 8 weeks to 9 months to resolve depending on how long you have had the problem. There are quite a few treatment options out there right now but the best protocol seems to be: Relative rest, ice, friction massage, and exercise.

Rest is good, but with the playoffs right around the corner, Tim needs to keep those tendons working. That is why he is trying to play through the pain.

I think after an off-season of rest and the right treatment, he'll be as good as new next year, and if I were Pop, I would make him take it easy in training camp.