PDA

View Full Version : Dora the Explorer to Dora the Tramp?

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Click below to see the new updated "tween" Dora, and vote for yourself:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090316/ap_en_ot/dora_for_tweens

NEW YORK – When toy maker Mattel, working with Nickelodeon, announced earlier this month that a "tween" version of Nick's beloved "Dora the Explorer" cartoon character would be unveiled in the fall, the response was overwhelming ... overwhelmingly negative.

Dora the streetwalker. A sexed-up version of a children's icon. A poor example for kids.

Those were just some of the terms tossed around the blogosphere after Mattel released a silhouette of the "new" Dora, whose image was drastically changed from the endearing tomboy look Dora fans grew to love, with her bowl-cut hairdo, T-shirt and red shorts. This new Dora appeared to have long flowing hair, and was wearing what seemed a scanty skirt, emphasizing her long, shapely legs.

"Did Mattel turn Dora the Explorer into a Tramp?" read one headline from The Huffington Post.

But not so fast.

Mattel and Nickelodeon both say there are two major misconceptions about the new Dora, which is not replacing the "Dora the Explorer" cartoon, but will be a new interactive doll aimed at 5- to 8-year-olds.

I think this is a combination of ham-handed marketing ploy, and over-reacting idiots.

BackStabber
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I think boys will want to do some exploring.

easjer
03-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I thought she looks a lot like my 11 year old stepsister. That is an outfit that Kristina would wear, and it doesn't look inappropriate to me. . . I agree with the statement above - ham-handed marketing and over-reaction.

Dex
03-16-2009, 02:20 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090316/capt.f6481122467e4ba3aed3177306968154.dora_for_twe ens_nyet217.jpg?x=213&y=330&xc=1&yc=1&wc=265&hc=410&q=85&sig=6wesPotH25UUgz2hZ1Wf6w--

If something about that makes you think 'tramp', then you got issues.

CuckingFunt
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I have never had/will never have a reason to watch Dora the Explorer, but I kind of liked how gender neutral she used to be, so... maybe the new look is a little unfortunate. But I don't think the new image is at all sexual. At all. I'm worried about anyone who would.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090316/capt.f6481122467e4ba3aed3177306968154.dora_for_twe ens_nyet217.jpg?x=213&y=330&xc=1&yc=1&wc=265&hc=410&q=85&sig=6wesPotH25UUgz2hZ1Wf6w--

If something about that makes you think 'tramp', then you got issues.

Maybe it is because of the way younger girls dress these days. I don't mean real young but "tweens". I don't have a problem with it but I know when I went to some of my daughters games I was surprised how some of the girls were dressed.

Spurminator
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Elbows? Ankles??

Get thee back, satan!

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I've watched it with my daughters and it is a great show for kids, IMO.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Exposed calf! I expect a shot from the back would show a tramp stamp as well! Damn you to hell, Nickle-HO-deon!

David Bowie
03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
That's pretty much the worderobe for all the girls who appear on the "Steve Wilkos" Show-leggings and a short dress. :lol

p.s.I assume that nobody watches that show.

ORION
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Swiper owns Dora ! However I do believe Swiper promotes burglaries among the mexicans

Slomo
03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
... and over-reacting idiots.

yep

... I'm worried about anyone who would.

Thank you! That was my first reaction to the article.

Trainwreck2100
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
wher the fuck is boots

ChumpDumper
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Should have been rhymed her name with "whore" somehow.

I just assumed she was gay -- isn't every character on PBS gay?

Trainwreck2100
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Should have been rhymed her name with "whore" somehow.

"whora the explorer"

mrsmaalox
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Swiper is awesome. My daughter is 12 and dresses very similar to that. I think more girls should dress that way judging from what I see at her school. It's really hard to tell who's 12 and who's 18!

ORION
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM
wher the fuck is boots

he was unavailable for comment

DPG21920
03-16-2009, 03:34 PM
wher the fuck is boots

He is getting an upgrade as well, his new name: "knocking boots".

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Swiper owns Dora ! However I do believe Swiper promotes burglaries among the mexicans

I heard they nixed a new charactor idea for a sex-addicted relative of Swiper: Fucker.

He came with his own little tag line, just like Swiper: "Fucker, no Fucking!"

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
wher the fuck is boots

Boots was checking out the S & M club. Naughty monkey...

Bad monkey deserves a spanking...

ashbeeigh
03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
She's cute. She doesn't look any different then any of the little girls I see walking down the street or playing on the playground by my office.

peewee's lovechild
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
How is that picture inappropriate?

That's some bullshit by people who don't like Mexicans.

If that were a white girl dressed like that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

jack sommerset
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Much to do about nothing. If indeed people are upset at the change they seriously need to get a life. I have a feeling people don't give a rats ass about the change. This article is one mans take. Don't believe everything you read.

Extra Stout
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
My guess is that to parents of girls who have self-esteem issues about their appearance, having geeky, androgynous Dora start turning into Mexican Barbie as she matures is kind of threatening.

ploto
03-16-2009, 07:07 PM

If that were a white girl dressed like that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Actually I believe a large part of it is Hispanic women who are upset with the thin Dora with long straight highlighted hair.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Hawtt!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
but I kind of liked how gender neutral she used to be

There are so many ways I want to respond to this.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Found on Fark.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/BlackPrince_777/doratheexplorergrown.jpg

JoeChalupa
03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
:lmao

RandomGuy
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
How is that picture inappropriate?

Pfft. I disagree.

You think the bible thumping retards who are probably upset about this care if she has brown skin?

The kind of people who get upset about that are dumb enough to be upset about this without the further idiocy of racism.

Extra Stout
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Pfft. I disagree.

You think the bible thumping retards who are probably upset about this care if she has brown skin?

The kind of people who get upset about that are dumb enough to be upset about this without the further idiocy of racism.
I think in attributing the reaction to "bible-thumping retards" you are making unwarranted assumptions and stereotyping.

RandomGuy
03-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I think in attributing the reaction to "bible-thumping retards" you are making unwarranted assumptions and stereotyping.

Dammit man, can't you leave me with any stereotype intact?

(sighs)

That was a bit of a sweeping generalization with no real known factual basis.

How about "pretentiously pious busybodies"?

Either way, I still disagree with our ex-Shiner drinking star wars fan.

I don't think this particular bit of stupidity surfaced because of the race of the cartoon charactor in question. Whoever was silly enough to think that the makeover was somehow inappropriate is probably just plain silly.

Extra Stout
03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't think this particular bit of stupidity surfaced because of the race of the cartoon charactor in question. Whoever was silly enough to think that the makeover was somehow inappropriate is probably just plain silly.

I don't think this really has anything to do with overzealous moralism. I think it has to with a popular media culture where girls are manipulated by what they watch on TV to become obsessed with "stuff" so they grow up to become mindless consumer slaves doing the advertisers' bidding. I think it has to do with parents who might feel a little duped that a cartoon character their kids liked that was about going on "adventures" and learning, and didn't present an unattainable ideal of beauty, is "growing up" into an urban fashionista. Maybe it feels a little like a con.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't think this really has anything to do with overzealous moralism. I think it has to with a popular media culture where girls are manipulated by what they watch on TV to become obsessed with "stuff" so they grow up to become mindless consumer slaves doing the advertisers' bidding. I think it has to do with parents who might feel a little duped that a cartoon character their kids liked that was about going on "adventures" and learning, and didn't present an unattainable ideal of beauty, is "growing up" into an urban fashionista. Maybe it feels a little like a con.

I concur. Well put and that was what I was thinking. Yeah, it looks like over reacting but I can understand it.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 09:04 AM

Hmm.

Good post.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Found on Fark.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/BlackPrince_777/doratheexplorergrown.jpg

If this is the College Dora, then I think I banged her when I was a Freshman in college.

RandomGuy
03-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Interesting and insightful as always.

I still don't fully agree, but this feels to be closer to the truth than my quick over-simplification.