PDA

View Full Version : 'No Contest' Unlikely in GSP-Penn Dispute

dbreiden83080
03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds like this will all finally go away after Tomorrow...

http://sherdog.com/news/news/no-contest-unlikely-in-gsp-penn-dispute-16615

"Those looking for fireworks at the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s hearing on Tuesday to review allegations of greasing misconduct during the UFC welterweight title bout between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn might be disappointed.

The bout, which saw St. Pierre triumph after four rounds via a technical knockout at UFC 94 on Jan. 31, couldn’t be altered to a “no contest,” nor could any of the alleged figures be suspended on Tuesday without further proceedings, said NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer.

St. Pierre’s two cornermen, Phil Nurse and Greg Jackson, have been accused of improperly applying Vaseline to the fighter’s shoulders and back after the one-minute break between the first and second round of his championship contest on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas. A NSAC official was the first one to bring the questionable behavior to Kizer’s attention at cageside.

Penn’s camp added fuel to the fire last Monday when the Hawaiian’s attorney filed a 20-page complaint with the commission requesting that St. Pierre and “co-conspirator” cornermen Nurse and Jackson have their licenses suspended or revoked, and that the three be fined. The complaint followed an inquiry letter submitted by Penn’s attorneys on Feb. 3, while St. Pierre’s camp responded to the allegations via letter on Feb. 26.

However, Penn’s recent complaint, which was written in a legal style similar to a lawsuit, will not serve to stimulate any formal disciplinary proceedings on Tuesday against the accused trio, said Kizer.

Kizer said Penn and his representatives have no authority to file a disciplinary complaint against a fellow combatant per Nevada’s statutes.

“That’s my job,” said Kizer. “You can complain to me, small ‘c,’ and then it’s up to me as the executive director whether I’ll file a disciplinary complaint. I explained that to [Penn’s attorney] many times and I thought he understood.”

Kizer, who began his own inquiry into the bout’s between-round behavior the night of the fight, said he hasn’t and doesn’t plan to file a complaint against St. Pierre and his camp at this time. Kizer added that Penn’s camp would have to provide hard evidence to support their allegations that St. Pierre and his camp conspired to cheat, in order to sway the executive director.

Kizer, who became the NSAC’s executive director in April 2006, has filed only one other non-drug related complaint against a mixed martial artist during his tenure. In August 2007, Kizer filed a disciplinary complaint against Renato “Babalu” Sobral for not responding to the referee’s instruction to release a choke during his fight against David Heath at UFC 74. The Brazilian was subsequently fined his win bonus, which was $25,000. Sobral was not suspended.

Kizer said a commission member could step down from the judicial branch of the board and prosecute a case themselves, although that has rarely taken place.

The five-member commission will receive copies of Penn’s complaint, as well as the two separate documents previously submitted, said Kizer, only with respect to what is on the commission’s Tuesday agenda, which is to review the fight.

Upon review of the documents on Tuesday, Kizer said a commission member could move to suggest disciplinary action, which would set the wheels in motion for a disciplinary hearing at a later date.

Kizer said it his interpretation that Nevada statutes currently don’t support the commission having the jurisdiction to adjust the results of the bout to a “no contest” given the specific circumstances. Kizer said a bout can only be ruled a “no contest” on four different occasions: the scorecards were added incorrectly, collusion occurred (where a referee was paid off), the referee misinterpreted a rule that effected the outcome, or there was the use of non-approved drugs or steroids.

“The main thing here [for Tuesday’s hearing] is let’s see what happened in the fight and let’s find out what happened from Phil [Nurse] and Greg [Jackson], what happened and why it happened, “ said Kizer. “Secondly, let’s figure out a way to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Now whether it goes beyond that is up to the commissioners -- and it may or may not.”

Kizer’s expectations are a bit tamer though.

“What I see happening is something along these lines: a very strict warning to Phil, a warning to everybody that there’s no place for this, and maybe something [determined] along the lines that every corner can have one designated Vaseline guy and that guy can not touch the fighter anywhere else on his body, except for his face, until the end of the fight,” said Kizer.

The commission meets Tuesday morning in Las Vegas at 9 a.m."

polandprzem
03-17-2009, 02:25 AM
20 pages - wow

Penn is fantastic. Now, I don't think he can shake anything bad that was talked about him. Like that he is spoiled kid from a wealthy family.

Jeez man

Evan
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
The commision wiped it off...

UFC changed the rules

end of story BJ...move along now

dbreiden83080
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8406&zoneid=13

The Nevada State Athletic Commission took no formal action in the review of St. Pierre vs. Penn 2 at a public meeting on Tuesday in Las Vegas.

After lengthy testimony from both camps, including Penn and his mother, :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

NSAC Commissioner Bill Brady promised to take under advisement several of the issues brought forth by the controversial fight.

Before the proceedings began, NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer clarified that no disciplinary measures would be taken during the meeting, and the review’s role was to present findings given to him by both parties. The Commission would decide any further action.

The Commission first heard from St. Pierre’s cornerman, Phil Nurse, who apologized for applying Vaseline to St. Pierre between the first and second rounds of the superfight. Fellow cornerman and St. Pierre trainer Greg Jackson followed, admitting an oversight in the roles of he and Nurse on Jan. 31, adding that he was open to a possible rule change that put the application of grease in Commission officials' hands.

The Commission then reviewed footage from UFC cameras that focused on St. Pierre’s corner between rounds.

Afterwards, Penn’s lawyer, Raffi Nahabedian, outlined the points of Penn’s 20-page complaint to the commission, asking for a more detailed review of its contents.

Penn also made a statement, giving his recollection of the before, during, and after of the fight. While shying away from accusing St. Pierre directly, he questioned why the UFC welterweight was not in attendance.

Penn’s mother, Lorraine Shin, read a statement where she accused the Commission of not doing its duty to protect fighters.

Commissioners Brady, Pat Lundvall, Raymond “Skip” Avansino, Jr., and John Bailey peppered the participants with questions throughout the meeting. A persistent inquiry from commissioner Lundvall was on the existence of substances that could be ingested that could make an opponent greasy during a fight. She also asked for suggestions on possible rule changes to NSAC statutes that may prevent future controversy.

A video presentation prepared by Penn’s camp was not viewed due to time constraints on the meeting.

“It’s up to the commission to decide how much further they want to formally go on this,” Kizer said afterwards. “They could make regulatory changes, they could issue some sort of directive to me or the inspectors or referees to handle situations differently,” he said.

However, Kizer maintained he would not issue a complaint against St. Pierre or his camp.

“I have no plans to bring anything against anybody in this case,” he continued.

At the meeting's end, Penn and his representatives said they were unsure of their next move.

BJ's next move should be getting ready for Florian and stop being a bitch..

desflood
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
including Penn and his mother
There went the last little iota of respect I had for BJ. Nobody over the age of, say, 19 should need their mommy to come into any kind of court to testify for them except in a life or death situation.

dbreiden83080
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
This is why the BJ and GSP fight was even bigger for me than just another big fight for my favorite fighter. I have always hated BJ Penn. The guy is a spoiled punk with a huge sense of entitlement.. He doesn't believe the normal rules apply to him. If he had won and was now champ in 2 divisions, i don't buy for one second that he would have, defended both titles on schedule. He would have ducked fights, taken time off and basically dicked around. He is already pushing back the Florian fight. He's tried to use this greese crap as an excuse and the Commission didn't buy it. I hope Ken-Flo takes that 155 title..