PDA

View Full Version : who should back tp?

anonoftheinternets
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Hill is a rookie, and he was the first to have couple of turnovers to let the thunder gain some momentum.

Mason has no business dribbling a basketball from what I saw. Teams are able to easily force turnovers.

:-? do we really have to go back to vaughn? ........ or wil ginobili be our saviour and handle backup point guard duties?

to compound issues ginobili is turnover prone too.

AussieFanKurt
03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
no vaughn please! hes a leader not a player though
hill may have got some TOs but cmon, we all have bad games
hes had a good season

mexicanjunior
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Until Manu comes back, try Hill at the point and Vaughn as the emergency backup. Mason is a turnover machine and has no business being a backup PG. He is a jump shooter and nothing more...

spursfan09
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Poor Tony. When was the last time he had a legit back up? In 03? With Speedy? :wow

Buddy Holly
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Hill. Hill > Mason in terms of being the back up.

I swear, Pop is a general retard if he thinks because Mason can dribble the basketball he's a point guard.

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Hill is a rookie, and he was the first to have couple of turnovers to let the thunder gain some momentum.

Mason has no business dribbling a basketball from what I saw. Teams are able to easily force turnovers.

:-? do we really have to go back to vaughn? ........ or wil ginobili be our saviour and handle backup point guard duties?

Well, even though many people on ST were pissed that Pops kept Vaugn over other players-maybe this is the reason why.
Could you imagine how Mason or Hill would fare on the point having them pressured by the Lakers or Utah? My God...:wakeup

Brazil
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
It's quite simple we have a back up PG his name is G. Hill. Pop please use him and no more Mase pllllleeeeaasssse

anonoftheinternets
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
idk about hill in the playoffs, hes doing the best he can. But PO? .... unless mason learns to dribble in the next month, I have a feeling pop will revert to JV .......:( .... the type of defense the thunder displayed (aggressive, trapping, going for steals) reminded me of the lakers defense. Thats what gives our non-pedigree point guards trouble. Teams that play a more slow placed, methodical defense like boston, rockets, we can handle. I wonder how we can deal with the opposing teams agressively playing passing lanes.

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
It's quite simple we have a back up PG his name is G. Hill. Pop please use him and no more Mase pllllleeeeaasssse

I think Hill will make many mistakes, but I'd prefer he handle the ball rather than Mason. Mason has worked himself out of PG back-up position. Pop please get Fricking Bonner out when we need defense. Damn already.

Technique
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't think Hill is ready just yet, but we can definitely expect more of him in the future. Mason at PG has its advantages, for one we can spread the floor just because of his 3. And although his handles aren't anywhere near Tony's he still has that veteran instinct that Hill has yet to develop.

alchemist
03-16-2009, 09:48 PM
We honestly don't have a back up PG just 2 SG trying their best to run the PG. We desperately need to fill the backup PG role this summer.

Vaughn is the only option which is nauseating.

Spurs Brazil
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Spurs scored 13pts in the 2nd and 4th quarter. At the beginning of those Mason was the PG. Our offense stopped and we never regained the rhythm.
We scored 29 and 21 in the 1st and 3rd

Spursfan092120
OK..here's the thing..I've said this before, and I'm sure I'll have to say it again. The whole "Mason at the point" thing is just in case. Jacque Vaughn will NOT be on the playoff roster, so in theory, we will have 2 PGs for the playoffs. God forbid if something happens to Tony, having George Hill as our only option at the point would be devastating. And if Hill is having "playoff nerves," Tony can't play the whole game. We have to have someone who can play the point other than the two of them.

HarlemHeat37
Hill..

people keep saying Hill makes mistakes..Mason doesn't? Roger doesn't have handles, can't pass, makes bad decisions..

Ice009
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
LOL I was just thinking about this after I read the thread title.

Pop has almost fucked up the back up PG role that it might be best to bring Jacque Vaughn back. I am serious. Pop has completely screwed it up with all his chopping and changing of the rotations.

Brazil
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think Hill is ready just yet, but we can definitely expect more of him in the future. Mason at PG has its advantages, for one we can spread the floor just because of his 3. And although his handles aren't anywhere near Tony's he still has that veteran instinct that Hill has yet to develop.

Sorry but with Mase at PG we can spread the loss

benefactor
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
We have really screwed the pooch on this one. Pop deciding to go away from Hill to use Mason as the backup PG is not working out...and at the same time he has taken valuable minutes and confidence from Hill by stripping him of his backup PG responsibilities. Manu is really the only option left besides Vaughn.

InK
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
God forbid if something happens to Tony, having George Hill as our only option at the point would be devastating.

Like we stand a chance against anyone of importance without Tony. I don't mind Mason getting tested, but this experiment has ran it's course.

Spursfan092120
03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Like we stand a chance against anyone of importance without Tony. I don't mind Mason getting tested, but this experiment has ran it's course.
The problem is, we don't have a choice. Who else is going to run point besides Tony and Hill?

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Shit...

Ice009
03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Since everyone always says CIA Pop. How about this. What if Pop is fucking up the back up PG spot so he can get Vaughn back in there? Pop might have other motives ;).

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Since everyone always says CIA Pop. How about this. What if Pop is fucking up the back up PG spot so he can get Vaughn back in there? Pop might have other motives for this suckage ;).

That would be pathetic. :lol

ploto
03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I have said all along that Mason at PG is not about Hill but about finding playing time for Udoka. Instead of bringing in Hill, he slides Mason over and brings in Udoka.

Rogue
03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Mason should back tp. Fin should come back to SG when the playoffs come because Bruce will take the starting SF, then the three spots of SG, SF and PG will be shared among four players in Mason, Parker, Fin and Bruce, each gets 36min on average.

SenorSpur
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM

It's easy to blame Hill, but TP and Tim had 3 turnovers between them on consecutive possessions. Then Tim gets a tech and fails to run down on defense. The team as a whole was sloppy and committed a rash of turnovers, thereby allowing the Thunder to get new life and get back into the game. Terrible, terrible execution by a veteran team.

And for the record, I don't need to see any more of the Roer Mason backup PG experiment. He committed his share of stupid turnovers, also. Dribbling off his leg, ill-advised passes and such. Stand down Pop.

bigdog
03-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Pop needs to stop using Mason as a backup PG. This experiment will never work, and I don't see what good Pop sees in it. Mason can't do anything but come off a pick and hit a jumper.

Hill MUST be the backup PG. Sure, I don't mind if he plays the 2 when he's on the court with Tony, but in all other scenarios he has got to be playing the PG position.

Ice009
03-17-2009, 08:01 AM
It's easy to blame Hill, but TP and Tim had 3 turnovers between them on consecutive possessions. Then Tim gets a tech and fails to run down on defense. The team as a whole was sloppy and committed a rash of turnovers, thereby allowing the Thunder to get new life and get back into the game. Terrible, terrible execution by a veteran team.

And for the record, I don't need to see any more of the Roer Mason backup PG experiment. He committed his share of stupid turnovers, also. Dribbling off his leg, ill-advised passes and such. Stand down Pop.

I got really mad when Tim stopped to complain and didn't get back on defense. When Atkins hit that three I thought that would really cost us.

I don't need to see anymore of Mason at back up PG either. As it gets tougher and team's defense tighten guys like Roger and Matt are starting to really disappear. They both gotta adjust and find a way to get it done.

SenorSpur
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I got really mad when Tim stopped to complain and didn't get back on defense. When Atkins hit that three I thought that would really cost us.

I don't need to see anymore of Mason at back up PG either. As it gets tougher and team's defense tighten guys like Roger and Matt are starting to really disappear. They both gotta adjust and find a way to get it done.

True. I'm amazed the Pop doesn't either chew ass with the refs himself or jump Duncan for lagging back.

I would also add that the center of the Spurs universe is still Duncan. With all apologies to TP, it is TD who must be effective enough, on the offensive end, to draw double teams. That will create open shots for outside shooters like Mason and Bonner. I say that because, TP has developed so much of a scorer's mentality that the only player he usually looks for is Duncan.

Toni61
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I think Hill is our best option but he need time to come in the rutine. In 1 or 2 Years is he a solid ack up and more.

Vaughn can make 2 or 3 good games but not more hes legs are old. He can teach Hill.

Old School 44
03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Hill, then Manu. Mason has no handle.

For the most part, I like Mason's game, but he's just not a point guard.
Also, someone needs to tell Mason, he doesn't get 4 pts for jacking up shots, 3 feet behind the 3pt line.

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
:bang:bang:bang

Manu is our best bet...

romain.star
03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
For PG backup: Manu > Hill > Mason

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 10:42 AM
For PG backup: Manu > Hill > Mason

Yall think Mason turns the ball over alot???

Manu is a bad PG. sad to say.....

Spurs Brazil
03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Mason playing PG is very bad.

When TP sits and Mason plays we have NOTHING on O.

He holds the ball too much and the offence get stagnant.

No more Mason at PG, JV would do a better job and that shows how bad is Mason at PG