PDA

View Full Version : Does Pop not trust Tim at the end of games?

TDfan2007
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
If there is ANYONE I want in a Spurs uniform taking the last shot it's Tim. He can get a shot up over just about anyone and almost always makes the right decision. And yet for whatever reason, every time we get in these situations Tony or Manu end up with the ball.

I understand that every member of our big 3 is pretty clutch, but at least go with the matchups. Tim can get a look over Kristic or Collison easily. I just wonder why, when Manu is out, Tim isn't putting up around 20 shots a game. I know he can. Ugh, rant over.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Tim always gets the ball stripped of him or never gets a foul call.

HarlemHeat37
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Duncan has gotten the ball in clutch time PLENTY of times this year and throughout his career..

the last shots today were just horrible..I don't mind TP getting the shot, but it was horrible execution..

HarlemHeat37
03-16-2009, 10:41 PM
..and the reason Duncan doesn't shoot so much is because of double teams that force him to give up the ball..he would be an idiot to shoot through double teams..

lefty
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
He wants the other players to find solutions themselves and not rely on TD on every late game possession, to prepare them better to the playoffs
What TD is cold in crunch time vs the Lakers,his FT shooting is bad, or if Joey Eatcrawford is officiating the game?

KFC used to do that a lot during his first regular season with the Lakers in 2000.
Another thing he did was not calling timeouts when the other team made a run.

smrattler
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Ft%

new_N_town
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
wut has happnd 2 timmyy???? 14 ptss?? foreall?? i hope i get cursed for saying this but FUCK TIM DUNCAN. hes gone :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

SenorSpur
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Definite poor execution. I would've rather they had setup a drive to the hoop with TP. Giving him the option to either score or kick to Mason. Same play they used against PHX on Xmas day.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Definite poor execution. I would've rather they had setup a drive to the hoop with TP. Giving him the option to either score or kick to Mason. Same play they used against PHX on Xmas day.

yea i was surprised too they went for such a sorry play.

a screen. :lmao

Spursmania
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM

I agree. Piss poor execution. There was time enough on the clock to get a really good play off. Did you notice, on the last shot, TP was about to shoot from the arc then he dribbled into a worse position from the arc and shot. It sucked. Really disappointing. I mean was OKC really surprised that TP was going to take the last shot? No...:(

SenorSpur
03-16-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree. Piss poor execution. There was time enough on the clock to get a really good play off. Did you notice, on the last shot, TP was about to shoot from the arc then he dribbled into a worse position from the arc and shot. It sucked. Really disappointing. I mean was OKC really surprised that TP was going to take the last shot? No...:(

Exactly. I was yelling at him to shoot the first time. Seemed hesistant. Thought he was moving into a position to hit an open shooter with a quick pass. It's funny TP was shot happy from the 3rd quarter quarter on, then he chokes on the last shot to win the game.

And don't get me started on Tim's FT shooting. Why whine repeatedly about the ref's call, then when he finally gets a call and goes to the line, botches the FT attempts?

timvp
03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Duncan wasn't winning many individual matchups tonight. I'm the world's biggest fan of 4-Down but even I wouldn't have called that play with the way Duncan wasn't able to create his own shot.

the last shots today were just horrible..I don't mind TP getting the shot, but it was horrible execution..

?

Parker got a wide open look on a shot he had been making all night long. It was actually a cleaner look than he got many times during the flow of the game. I'm not sure how much more open you wanted him to be or what type of execution that would entail . . .

EricB
03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
This sounds like the critique of Parker after the Orlando game...

HarlemHeat37
03-17-2009, 12:07 AM
?

Parker got a wide open look on a shot he had been making all night long. It was actually a cleaner look than he got many times during the flow of the game. I'm not sure how much more open you wanted him to be or what type of execution that would entail . . .

I don't see it..

his shots down the stretch were far shots over outstretched defenders..that's not something I want to see from a team known for it's great execution and play calling down the stretch..Pop is great at calling plays when we need to score in clutch time, so I expect something a lot better than what we got..

obviously I'm not talking about the 2nd play, where we got the offensive rebound, since that had to be done on the fly..but even then, Tony had a semi-open look when he caught the ball, but dribbled and stepped back to take a more difficult shot..

timvp
03-17-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't see it..

his shots down the stretch were far shots over outstretched defenders..that's not something I want to see from a team known for it's great execution and play calling down the stretch..Pop is great at calling plays when we need to score in clutch time, so I expect something a lot better than what we got..

obviously I'm not talking about the 2nd play, where we got the offensive rebound, since that had to be done on the fly..but even then, Tony had a semi-open look when he caught the ball, but dribbled and stepped back to take a more difficult shot..The first shot on that last possession was a very good look. Parker hit tougher versions of that same shot multiple times.

Off the rebound, yeah Parker should have taken that first look. Watching the replay, he thought he had someone running at him and tried to throw a pumpfake and get a better look. But the defender wasn't closing out hard on him and was able to adjust after the fake.

Blue Jew
03-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Pop is like mouse he knows Duncan is on his last leg!!

bigdog
03-17-2009, 01:16 AM
I didn't mind Parker taking those shots, but that last one was with like 2 seconds left and he kinda just threw it up there. He could have taken a dribble and gotten a better shot.

What I would have liked to see is a set play for a shooter. Usually those work, and if they don't get open, throw it down to Duncan. There was plenty of time to get something done, much much easier than the shots Parker threw up.

kace
03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Tim will have his share of last shots when he'll be fine. this last play should go to one of the big three any time. it could end in mason or finley's hand in the end, but i want the play called for one of the big three, including tim of course.

But tonight tony had scored twice as much as the 2nd best spurs scorer, almost 40 % of the team's total points, was the only one (with gooden at 3-5) shooting above 50 %, and had scored our last 7 points (last game he scored our last 9). He was the obvious choice.

Tim will have his shots as soon as he gets fine i guess.

fiona_yin
03-17-2009, 01:27 AM
just let timmy rest,he's not good since he back
still can't believe we lost to Thunder

urunobili
03-17-2009, 07:24 AM

dude TP single handily lost the game last night.. get over it... he won 10 times more than the one he lost for us... but last night was a fail...

Rogue
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
pop wouldn't have anyone else to trust at the end of games if he refused to trust duncan. Duncan can do alost everything at the crunch minutes even including something he can not do during common minutes, like his 3 pointer that busted the suns in the first round of last postseason.

to21
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
TD looks tired.

To bad we are in a race for the lead or we'd be better serve to rest him.

Old School 44
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM

It looked like that was the play, but on Tony's initial penetration he stumbled throwing everything out of whack. I don't recall if he was in, but I would have kicked to either Fin or Mason and went for the win.

LockBeard
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
How can he when Tony Parker is ballhogging it the fuck up.

Hey Tony, one other thing. Quit shooting 3 Pointers genius. You don't have the range. You've got Bonner, Finley, and Mason along side of you and YOU shoot the 3? What the fuck?

kace
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
this board is just amazing sometimes. TP scored twice as much as Tim, our second best scorer, and scored 40 % of our total points. he did it at 55 % with 7 assists. he also scored the last 7 points of the team.

and still, some members bash him. there is even a pathetic one who said he single handily lost the game :downspin: :rolleyes

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I really hope Duncan is just coasting till the playoffs, it would be ashame to see him fall apart, threads like this are really retarded. The day Pop doesn't trust Tim is the day Pop retires.

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I really hope Duncan is just coasting till the playoffs, it would be ashame to see him fall apart, threads like this are really retarded. The day Pop doesn't trust Tim is the day Pop retires.

I really think he is. Right now, he looks disinterested to me.

crc21209
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Of course Pop trusts Tim. I think this year with so many other weapons like Mason, etc....Pop this year has experimented more this year than any year and wants to see who can deliver in the clutch. He knows what Tim, Tony, and Manu can do with about 2 mins left in the 4th...so he's probably experimenting to see if anyone else has balls to take the last shot or shots in game...ala Mason this year.

duncan228
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Disinterested? Coasting?

I don't understand how any Spurs fan who has followed this team through Duncan's career could think that he's disinterested.

Duncan is a competitor, he's only about winning. He gets up for pick-up games. He's the leader of this team and he leads by example. Coasting is not the example he sets.

He's injured. He's far from 100%. The tendonosis is painful and impacts his game. It's here to stay, it's a matter of severity on any given night. A lessor player wouldn't even try to play. He gives his all any time he's on the court. If at any point Pop thinks he's hurting rather than helping the team Pop will sit him.

The armchair GM's can run this team however they see fit. I trust Pop, and I believe in Duncan.

LockBeard
03-17-2009, 02:58 PM
this board is just amazing sometimes. TP scored twice as much as Tim, our second best scorer, and scored 40 % of our total points. he did it at 55 % with 7 assists. he also scored the last 7 points of the team.

and still, some members bash him. there is even a pathetic one who said he single handily lost the game :downspin: :rolleyes

TP went uber ballhog at the end of the Thunder game. It was pathetic to watch. Does this fact hurt your feelings?

Can't speak bad about our beloved Spurs, nope nope nope. That'd make us all not fans. Can't have that. Nope nope nope.

kace
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
TP went uber ballhog at the end of the Thunder game. It was pathetic to watch. Does this fact hurt your feelings?

Can't speak bad about our beloved Spurs, nope nope nope. That'd make us all not fans. Can't have that. Nope nope nope.

you can't be called a ballhog when you're basically the only one scoring well for your team for more than 10 games. Right now, on the spurs offense, there is no better place to be for the ball than parker's hands.
When Tim and Manu will get back at their best, the ball will be shared between those three at the end of the games, as usual.