PDA

View Full Version : Pop is an idiot

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-12-2005, 11:02 PM
The last five minutes our offense was downright comical. No shots for Devin Brown meanwhile Tony Parker pisses the fucking game away trying to go one on five.

Is it that fucking hard to look over at Devin, and think "hmm, maybe I ought to run a play for him"?

Fucking pathetic.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Insert random T Park whine here.

Uncle Donnie
03-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Well, earlier in the fourth Devin was holding the ball too long and it was choking the offense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-12-2005, 11:04 PM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

maxpower
03-12-2005, 11:05 PM
My beef is running those plays in the end through Barry. Parker had been able to slice into the D for a good portion of the game...how about letting him touch the ball more than a couple of times in the last 3 minutes of the game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Donnie, I'm not saying run one of Pop's stupid fucking iso plays, I'm saying run Devin through a couple of screens to free him for a jumper, or here's a thought: put Barry out on top to create, and put Tony and Devin out on the wings to receive the kickout for the open jumper.

We called that last timeout, and I said we'd run a stupid ass 1-4 iso for Tony out top, and wouldn't you know it he pissed away the whole 14 seconds and threw up a Steve Francis-type fuckup.

texbumTHElife
03-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Is it hard just to continue to call the offense the same damn way you have all game long? That is not putting it in any one persons hands but playing team ball. We can forget a championship until we get these 4th quarter slides under control. The heat will throttle us if we play like this against them in the 4th.

T Park
03-12-2005, 11:13 PM
of course.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 01:29 AM
We called that last timeout, and I said we'd run a stupid ass 1-4 iso for Tony out top, and wouldn't you know it he pissed away the whole 14 seconds and threw up a Steve Francis-type fuckup.

That play was supposed to be Horry getting the ball to Barry for 3. Horry for whatever reason (maybe Barry didn't get free) couldn't do it, so Tony came out and got the ball. Then Tony was waiting and waiting for someone to come out with a pick, so that he could pick and roll. And no one came with the pick. So WTF are bitching at Tony for?!

Pop blamed it on himself for not giving them another option besides the original one -- which was Barry to Horry for 3.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Interesting Kori.

Most of my frustration lies in the fact that in the second half he had numerous opportunities to hit wide open teammates with passes, but tried to take on the Denver team by himself.

The commentators even noted one time where Pop was telling him about it.

This thread was mainly aimed at Pop, still not impressed with his end of game play calling, it's completely uncreative.

What had Horry done all night to warrant a look as the primary option? If they're gonna run a play like that, it either needed to be for Devin or a drive and kick to Bowen.

Spurgal
03-13-2005, 01:40 AM
I was at the game tonight, and all I can say Is that Tim and Manu should have played... Pop sux!

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Locker room notes: Pop wasn't very pissed off, but the players were very disappointed in choking that lead in the last few minutes. Massenburg was disappointed in not being able to get a board (letting them get 3 O boards) and then fouling Najera near the end. Tony was disappointed that they couldn't score down the stretch and that they made some bad decisions. But Pop took a lot of the blame on himself (and his staff) for not giving them enough options in the plays they drew up. He said they only gave them first options.

But Tony said that on that last play, he came to get the ball and help and then was waiting for the pick. It just never came.

Pop said Tim's ankle is fine, but that his back is tweaked. He came up lame this morning. He said it isn't serious and that they tried to work it out all day, but it stayed tight and he couldn't get up and down the court so he was scratched. He said that he won't need to get any tests or MRI's or whatever, it's not that bad.

Other notes: What we read in the French translation is correct. Tony does have some tendinitis in his knee but it's not that bad -- regular stuff that everyone has. He was scheduled to have the Phoenix game off before they decided Manu needed to sit out.

My opinions: Nazr does an awesome job getting in good rebounding position. His long arms and big hands really help him on the glass. He seems to be smart enough to figure out where to be on the court even though he hasn't had much practice time. He should be a good asset if he can learn to stay out of foul trouble. Was he foul-prone in New York?

I thought they should have fed Bowen in the corner after he knocked down those two 3's. When he gets in groove, they should try to keep him involved.

Devin played a good game. He couldn't hit in the first half but was rebounding well. Then picked up offensive in the second half.

I can't figure out if I liked Barry's game or didn't tonight. He ran the floor well and did a good job on the glass and dishing (season highs in both). He still hasn't found his range. The only thing that pissed me off was that unfortunate pass on the second to last possession.

GoSpurs21
03-13-2005, 01:49 AM
Kori, thanks for the insite. I just hope the lessons learned during the regular season make the Spurs that much better for the playoffs. I would rather have the Spurs make (and learn from) mistakes in regular season games than in the playoffs. After all isnt that Pops ultimate goal? To get better as the season goes along, so that the team is best prepared for the playoffs.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 01:52 AM
What had Horry done all night to warrant a look as the primary option?

I mistyped that part. I correct it. Horry was supposed to get the ball to Barry.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 01:54 AM
From Ludden's article, explaining what I was trying to say...

The Spurs' inability to execute on their final two possessions also helped.

Following a timeout, Brent Barry's pass sailed out of bounds after Devin Brown unexpectedly cut toward him.

"My man had his back to me, so I thought I'd move over a couple of steps and get the pass," Brown said. "As soon as I was going to get it, I was going to shoot it."

After Anthony padded the Nuggets' lead with a couple of free throws, the Spurs used their final timeout with 17.3 seconds remaining. After the play — which was designed for Robert Horry to get Barry a 3-point attempt — broke down, Tony Parker held the ball on the right wing and waited for a screen that never materialized.

He misfired an off-balance 26-footer just before the buzzer.

"I was just there as a safety for Brent," Parker said. "It was just a bad play. We had nothing."

Popovich took the blame for both possessions.

"I don't think I did a very good job of putting them in position for a second and third option," he said. "They took away our first option, and we kind of held the ball."

exstatic
03-13-2005, 01:56 AM
What had Barry done all night to warrant a look as the primary option?

GoSpurs21
03-13-2005, 02:02 AM
It's refreshing to see Pop take the blaim for the offense in the last couple minutes of the game. Hater feel free to to hate...I will ignore and continue to believe this team will get better. How many other teams can play this well without their two best players against .500+ teams?

Rick Von Braun
03-13-2005, 02:30 AM
What had Barry done all night to warrant a look as the primary option?When you need a 3, and with the players that were on the floor, you go with Barry, even if he is 0-2. The 2nd option for 3 should have been Horry. I don't argue the play.

That play was supposed to be Horry getting the ball to Barry for 3. Horry for whatever reason (maybe Barry didn't get free) couldn't do it, so Tony came out and got the ball. Then Tony was waiting and waiting for someone to come out with a pick, so that he could pick and roll. And no one came with the pick. So WTF are bitching at Tony for?!?If the play was broken, for whatever reason, you don't keep dribbling the ball using all the remaining clock waiting for a pick. You take your chances and penetrate. Tony is more that capabable of shaking Najera off, penetrate and kick it out to Barry/Horry for a 3 point play or go for a layup and a fast foul. We could have gotten an easy 2 if Tony would have penetrated because the Nuggs' frontline would not have given Tony an "and 1" chance to tie the game. Even if the Nuggets made the 2 FTs afterwards, you can still go for a 3 later on.

I am sorry, but no matter how you argue about it, that was a tremendous FUBAR!

timvp
03-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Well the Spurs had no more timeouts so a two pointer wouldn't have done much good at the time.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Didn't look like Tony could make any room to penetrate. Obviously it was a messed up broken play, but a lot of people thought that the play was for Tony to do something up top. I was clarifying that it wasn't.

I was actually pissed off that he didn't hit Devin in the corner. Devin was open for a while in the corner to Tony's right, but Tony didn't look his way.

benjirh
03-13-2005, 03:35 AM
Wow. I can't believe that Spurs management has never looked to this site for the next coach. Obviously there a at least 4 people on this post alone who know how to coach better than the current coach, who has just a few years of experience. I just can't imagine how many rings the people on this post must have. What a joke. I am tired of these threads. There is a perfect reason why Pop, who spends hours each day working with the team would draw up a play for Barry. He knows what he is doing. So stop making dumb posts!

T Park
03-13-2005, 11:23 AM
a messed up broken play

I was told last night that it wasn't a broken play.

But once again, wtf do I know.

Clandestino
03-13-2005, 11:29 AM
SHuT THE FUCK UP U DUMB BITCHES>>>STOP YOUR BITCHING AND RECOGNIZE POP IS THE BEST COACH IN THE LEAGUE...HE HAS THE MOST CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS OUT OF ANY ACTIVE COACHES AND HAS ONE OF THE BEST RECORDS IN NBA HISTORY AFTER TAKING OVER THE TEAM...AND WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE>>>SO SHUT THE FUCK UP, GO TAKE YOUR MIDOL, AND REALIZE POP KNOWS HOW TO USE HIS PLAYERS BETTER THAN ANY OF US COMBINED>>>im out

:lol

Hook Dem
03-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow. I can't believe that Spurs management has never looked to this site for the next coach. Obviously there a at least 4 people on this post alone who know how to coach better than the current coach, who has just a few years of experience. I just can't imagine how many rings the people on this post must have. What a joke. I am tired of these threads. There is a perfect reason why Pop, who spends hours each day working with the team would draw up a play for Barry. He knows what he is doing. So stop making dumb posts!
Good take!!!! Wait till the playoffs are over to second guess Pop's decisions. Someone has to make the decisions and that is usually the coach.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 12:33 PM
The thing that puzzled me the most was that in the Phoenix comback win, Pop was just clearing the lane, and letting Manu work from the top. If he would have done that maybe 3 times when Karl put Buckner on Tony, I guarantee you that Karl would have come off that defense. Tony would have OWN3D him on a clearout. Adjustments to adjustments are Pop's weakest point.

boutons
03-13-2005, 12:39 PM
"Adjustments to adjustments are Pop's weakest point"

Think its' a "guy" thing? Does Pop think "the other coach made an effective adjusment. I refuse to admit that and refuse make a counter-adjustive. I'll just dumb-down, go to 4-down, half-court slow-down shit, etc"

Several people have comlained a lot of times about Pop's failures, rigidities "in-game".

He sure the hell blew it big time vs Phil Jackson last May.

T Park
03-13-2005, 01:08 PM
fire pop.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 01:23 PM
TPark, I dont' want Pop fired, I'd just like to see him adjust better. You don't have Tim, you don't have Manu. Your best weapon is Tony, and they're stiffling him on the P'n'R with a bigger, albeit slower defender. RUN SOME FUCKING CLEAROUTS TO GET THEM OUT OF THAT DEFENSE. He had enough confidence in Manu to do that in PHO game 2, and the world didn't end, and Manu didn't forget how the offense ran when Tim came back.

T Park
03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
He obviously doesn't have that confidence in parker.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
He obviously doesn't have that confidence in parker.

I agree, but I think that's a bad thing. You think Tony doesn't see that? How can Pop expect him to lead the Spurs and be clutch, when he doesn't trust him to run a few clearouts?

I'm not proposing to unleash him on clearouts for the rest of the game. If Pop had done it maybe 3-4 times, Karl is smart enough to come out of that defense. Just instruct Tony to run it a few times, and then any time therafter where he sees Bucker coming to guard him. Believe me, Karl is NOT going to run a defense where his guy is getting undressed for too long.

T Park
03-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Eh.

Hindsights 20/20.

MOnday Im sure well see more Nazr Mohammed and more clear outs for Parker.

ShoogarBear
03-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Think its' a "guy" thing? Does Pop think "the other coach made an effective adjusment. I refuse to admit that and refuse make a counter-adjustive. I'll just dumb-down, go to 4-down, half-court slow-down shit, etc"

Maybe. Pop clearly is a "system guy". He believes if you execute his system properly, it doesn't matter what the other team does. I think it was Horry who said that the Spurs spend less time specifically preparing for any particular opponent than any team he's ever been on.

Wooden and Knight were/are other notorious system guys.

It clearly works when you have a talent edge. But when you're going up against equal talent with a coach who is as good or better (i.e., PJax), then you have to be able to make adjustments.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Parker just froze a bit. Pop certainly should've had another option there, but Tony easily got enough space for a good shot. Had he done it sooner there may have been an opportunity for another 3pt attempt.

T Park
03-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Wooden and Knight were/are other notorious system guys.

Two of the greatest coaches in basketball history.

????

boutons
03-13-2005, 02:21 PM
"in basketball history"

selectively ignoring "in COLLEGIATE basketball history". Had they been equally successful in the NBA, or even coached in the NBA, then the comment is useful.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Tpark:

Popovich took the blame for both possessions.

"I don't think I did a very good job of putting them in position for a second and third option," he said. "They took away our first option, and we kind of held the ball."

Pop even admits he fucked up, but you still defend him. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

ex nailed it... Pop's weakness is an inability to adjust to another coach's adjustment. Last year it was Phil packing the lane taking away Tony and Tim, and Pop failing to adjust.

A few years back in the various other LA meltdowns, it was LA doing the same thing, and Pop still forcing it into Tim.

Pop can't adjust realtime in a game. It takes him at least a game, if not a whole series, to figure it out, and often times in the past it's taken him the off-season to figure it out.

Pop says he fucked up, and Tpark still comes on here with his mocking "fire Pop" nonsense. Admit the man fucked up and move on. His own words says he messed up, recognize and admit defeat.

ShoogarBear
03-13-2005, 02:25 PM
"in basketball history"

selectively ignoring "in COLLEGIATE basketball history". Had they been equally successful in the NBA, or even coached in the NBA, then the comment is useful.

And because they were college coaches, at least 75% of the time they were starting with a huge talent advantage.

Easier to ignore what the opponent is doing when you have that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 02:42 PM
It's a pretty weak coaching comparison, go look up how many titles Wooden and Knight had (not to mention their team's talent level relative to other teams they were competing against), and get back to me. Pop's not in their league yet.

Probably the most maddening thing about Pop is every one of his playoff failures have come about after teams made exactly ONE defensive adjustment on him, and have resulted in a spectacular failure with him failing to adjust.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Last year it was Phil packing the lane taking away Tony and TimThat's pretty funny to assume something can be done when your number one and two options are taken away at once.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 03:00 PM
There are three other people on the court, am I right? I could have sworn we got to play five on five like everyone else...