PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Thunderstruck In Loss

duncan228
03-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Spurs Thunderstruck in loss (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Thunderstruck_in_loss.html)
Jeff McDonald

OKLAHOMA CITY — The college kids had already packed up and left town, but it's difficult to tell if the Spurs noticed. After all, 20-somethings all look alike to the oldest team in the NBA.

The Big 12 tournament vacated the Ford Center a day before the Spurs arrived here Monday, with some of the participants off to make more March Madness memories.

Led by a trio of players who still could be in college themselves — plus a 24-year-old from Switzerland — the Thunder had their one shining moment, overcoming an early 17-point deficit to beat the Spurs 78-76 in what might be the biggest victory in the team's short Oklahoma City history.

“We just beat one of the best teams in basketball,” a beaming Oklahoma City interim coach Scott Brooks said afterward.

Kevin Durant, the would-be junior at Texas, pumped in 25 points for Oklahoma City. Jeff Green, the could-be junior at Georgetown, had 10. Russell Westbrook, who could still be Big-Dancing as a UCLA junior, had eight points on 4-of-17 shooting, but did make one of the game's biggest shots — a contested 22-footer that gave the Thunder a 78-74 lead with 2:20 to go.

In NCAA tournament parlance, it was a 15-2 upset.

The Thunder (19-48) are bringing up the rear in the Northwest Division. The Spurs (44-22) are pacing the Southwest.

Pardon the grumpy old Spurs, however, for not smiling at the Thunder's Cinderella magic. They were too busy lamenting dual blown double-digit leads.

“We should have won that game,” guard Roger Mason Jr. said. “Yeah, they're a talented team, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves on that one.”

For the Spurs, the loss stopped a string of 41 consecutive victories when holding an opponent to 78 points or less, which dated to Jan. 15, 2005. It marked the first time this season they lost while limiting an opponent to less than 40 percent shooting (the Thunder shot 35.8).

“This is a game we should have had,” said Tim Duncan, who had 14 points and 12 rebounds but labored through a 6-of-13 night.

“We let one slip away.”

Oklahoma City, which trailed by as many as 11 in the third quarter, did not lead until Chucky Atkins buried a 3-pointer to make it 70-67 with 7:37 to play.

Down by two heading into the final 30 seconds, the Spurs had a chance to tie the game, but Tony Parker missed a pair of jumpers — the second of which was deflected by Thabo Sefolosha.

This would be a theme of the Spurs' endgame. Parker finished with 28 points, but only managed two field goals after Sefolosha, a Swiss army knife of a defender, switched to guard him late in the third quarter.

In all, the Spurs made just 5 of their 17 shots in the fourth.

“We made some poor decisions down the stretch, and they made better decisions,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

It was the opposite of what had happened two nights earlier at Houston, when the Spurs executed their way to a gritty three-point victory.

With Monday's result, combined with the Rockets' Yao-less victory at New Orleans, the Spurs gave back the game they had earned in Houston. They now lead the Rockets in the division and the conference by just 11/2 games, a tightening of the race not lost on the Spurs.

Their fourth-quarter follies might not have mattered if the Spurs had kept the Thunder on the canvas in the first.

The Spurs blasted out to a 17-point lead in the first 91/2 minutes, giving the game the complexion of one of those first-round NCAA blowouts. But Oklahoma City rattled off a 17-2 spurt in the span of 41/2 minutes of the second quarter to claw right back in the game by halftime.

The Spurs committed nine of their 15 turnovers in the second quarter, fueling instant offense for Oklahoma City. At the heart of the Thunder run were three consecutive Parker turnovers.

“That was killer,” Mason said. “You turn the ball over, you give them easy baskets. It's like giving away points.”

In the end, the Spurs felt like they gave one away.

The team of would-be college kids had their shining moment. The kids had earned it.

mytespurs
03-17-2009, 12:28 AM
“We should have won that game,” guard Roger Mason Jr. said. “Yeah, they're a talented team, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves on that one.”

How true!!! Inexcusable imho!!! :nope

lurker23
03-17-2009, 12:38 AM
For the Spurs, the loss stopped a string of 41 consecutive victories when holding an opponent to 78 points or less, which dated to Jan. 15, 2005.

I love stats like this...I'm glad we still have our streak alive of beating teams that score 77 or less!

GSH
03-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Their entire starting five have a total of 6 years NBA experience, and they made better decisions? That's utterly fucking inexcusable. Beyond inexcusable. And the sad part it, it's true.

JWest596
03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
I would have felt a lot better at the loss if PJ Carlissimo was still coaching OKC. But this one really stunk. Rest Tim for the playoffs NOW and let the chips and seedings fall where they may.

GSH
03-17-2009, 01:04 AM
I would have felt a lot better at the loss if PJ Carlissimo was still coaching OKC. But this one really stunk. Rest Tim for the playoffs NOW and let the chips and seedings fall where they may.

Pop could (and should) have rested Tim for the Lakers, Rockets, Thunder, and T-Wolves, and given him about 10 days off. There's no reason this team couldn't have gone at least 2-2 thought that stretch without him. The loss to the Lakers wouldn't have been too bad, since it would have come without Tim. Even losing to the Rockets wouldn't have been the end of the world, if we beat both OKC and Minnesota. Tim would have been back as healthy as he is likely to get in time for the Celtics, and the bench could have gotten some good minutes. This has been an absolute cluster-fuck, from top to bottom.

bdictjames
03-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Pop should stop with this sissy shit and tell the team to work their asses off because April's knocking on the door.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2009, 01:20 AM
All I can say is... this team better bring it in the playoffs every single night. These losses don't mean anything but if we don't play like we mean it in the playoffs I'm gonna be pissed.

JWest596
03-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Pop could (and should) have rested Tim for the Lakers, Rockets, Thunder, and T-Wolves, and given him about 10 days off. There's no reason this team couldn't have gone at least 2-2 thought that stretch without him. The loss to the Lakers wouldn't have been too bad, since it would have come without Tim. Even losing to the Rockets wouldn't have been the end of the world, if we beat both OKC and Minnesota. Tim would have been back as healthy as he is likely to get in time for the Celtics, and the bench could have gotten some good minutes. This has been an absolute cluster-fuck, from top to bottom.

You make a good point. There has been only one C-F in all of Spurs history. Hiring The Tark <still shudders> so I have to disagree with that. Pop will figure it out and our Big Three are stone hard competitors. It was such an unnecessary and stupid loss. On to the next and victory!

mytespurs
03-17-2009, 01:51 AM
All I can say is... this team better bring it in the playoffs every single night. These losses don't mean anything but if we don't play like we mean it in the playoffs I'm gonna be pissed.

That's what concerns me.....will they bring and can they???!!

In Pop I trust but the team's play thus far is leaving me less than impressed....maybe I'm spoiled......I'm used to the Spurs playing well for stretches...now you have to wonder every game....not having a healthy Manu is a huge factor but still.......I don't think this is their year....but I still love and support 'em......:king

Technique
03-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Oh it's there year alright. If you're saying it's not their year this year what are you going to be saying when Duncan retires?

GSH
03-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Oh it's there year alright. If you're saying it's not their year this year what are you going to be saying when Duncan retires?

When Duncan retires, they will be talking about Pops Mensa Bonsu instead of Scola. Even if he's still in the D-League.

When Duncan retires, they will talk about how badly the team sucks... but not as badly as the Suns.

When Duncan retires, they will talk about bringing him back for at least 4 seasons - just like they did with Robinson.

When Duncan retires, they will talk about how many championships he could have won, if...

When Duncan retires they will talk about the amazing Greek player that KBP says wants to play for the Spurs.

When Duncan retires, they will talk about how the Baseline Bums are back to throwing avacados, and pouring beer on Larry Brown.