PDA

View Full Version : is our team "mentally weak"?

Creation88
03-17-2009, 01:03 AM
my #1 beef with our team is their constant "put it on the back burner" mentality.

if we could just live up to our potential and develop a "killer instinct" i honestly believe we would be unstoppable.

does anyone else feel like our inefficiency stems from a lack of mental toughness? sometimes we just go with the motions and wait too long to turn it on (thus games like the Raptors, Lakers, tonight).

it angers me when we just have a mental lapse in the middle of a game. anyone else feel like this?

peskypesky
03-17-2009, 01:12 AM
If Pop won't put his best players on the court in crunch time, it doesn't mean the team is mentally weak. Bowen and Gooden should have been in there.

bdictjames
03-17-2009, 01:14 AM
*insert Manu picture*

All is solved.

mytespurs
03-17-2009, 01:16 AM
*insert Manu picture*

All is solved.

If only it were that easy. :)

mytespurs
03-17-2009, 01:19 AM
my #1 beef with our team is their constant "put it on the back burner" mentality.

if we could just live up to our potential and develop a "killer instinct" i honestly believe we would be unstoppable.

does anyone else feel like our inefficiency stems from a lack of mental toughness? sometimes we just go with the motions and wait too long to turn it on (thus games like the Raptors, Lakers, tonight).

it angers me when we just have a mental lapse in the middle of a game. anyone else feel like this?

I don't know if it's mental per se.....it could be many things....fatigue, lack of depth, father time....I do notice that the Spurs tend to go through scoring droughts during games......they build a nice lead then either they can't/don't score and allow the other team to get back in the game.

raspsa
03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
*insert Manu picture*

All is solved.

Yeah, they could have used Manu. I didn't get to watch the game but it seemed that no one stepped up when it mattered most late in the game and parker was pressured by the defense. You'd hope that someone else would step up but apparently no one did.

timvp
03-17-2009, 01:26 AM
The Spurs have taken care of business against bad teams this year and have a very good record in close games ... yet they are mentally weak?

You can say they aren't a championship caliber team due to any number of weaknesses but pulling the "mentally weak" card doesn't make much sense to me when the two biggest indicators point otherwise.

kace
03-17-2009, 01:27 AM
i just can't understand how someone who has followed the spurs for many years can ask if the spurs are mentally weak. it's just amazing.

we're sometimes bored in RS since we've been there so many times and we're looking each year for the big stage in the Duncan era.

but when it counts, in the PO, we're the tougher team i ever seen these last years on the long run. indeed, it's one of our best skill. if it was only for pure talent, we wouldn't have more than 1 or 2 rings at very best.

and i never seen the spurs get beaten in PO by an average team. To beat us you've got to be not only very good but mentally strong and poised. we never give it up.

Once again, how can anyone ask about our mental strongness ???

JWest596
03-17-2009, 01:32 AM
This team is far from it. But I think every NBA team takes things for granted at times and fortunately it has never been a catagion with the Spurs. And no one has ever publicly called SA a "flip the switch" team.

Case in point. The Los Angeles Lakers are one of only three teams in the entire NBA with overall losing records against the Charlotte Bobcats since they entered the league. The other being the Hawks and the T-Pups. It's inexplicable that a Kobe Bryant team holds such a distinction.

As long as Pop, Tim, Tony, and Manu are Spurs., I do not see the same pattern happening on a regular basis against OKC. Pop and Co wouldn't let that happen. He'll pull the bus over quick if it did.

rayray2k8
03-17-2009, 01:45 AM
What is it with you noobs??
1 loss and the forum goes ape shit and question
everything the spurs have done so far..
Ya'll act as if the fucking sky is falling...
Go jump a cliff why don't you? :lol

Technique
03-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Mentally weak? Shoot... I'd make an argument that we're one of the leagues mentally strongest teams. That's one of the advantages of being so seasoned. You're prepared for everything and you don't fold during crunch time. And I hate to break it to you but one lose to OKC does not equal crunch time. Also doesn't give anyone the right to question Pop.

weebo
03-17-2009, 02:12 AM
soft

Yorae
03-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Uhhh they get easily bored?

m33p0
03-17-2009, 02:23 AM
the "it's only a regular season game" mentality has been prevailing in this franchise for a number of seasons. we already know the reasoning behind this philosophy and we have accepted it. spurs give up the killer instinct in exchange for health for the playoffs. there are some nights that it sucks. this was one of those nights.

Technique
03-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Damn a lot of haters on the NBA youtube video.

TDMVPDPOY
03-17-2009, 03:16 AM
the last few games, this team has become mentally weak like odens knees....

Bukefal
03-17-2009, 06:43 AM
they are, except tp

Bukefal
03-17-2009, 11:01 AM
is that language necessary? such insults? cant you just work out or something to get rid of your anger? :) Anyway, pop is great! you should be thankful.

superbigtime
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Of course they are mentally weak. Mentally fragile at the least. We just lost to one of the worst teams in the NBA in the last third of the season. Injuries are no excuse. Team was weak and Pop fostered it by squandering the leads that Tony worked so hard for with his helter skelter lineups.

aka_USAPA
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM

The team is not mentally weak. The coach is a proven coach, one of the best. TD is one of the best big man out othere. TP is one of the best PG out there. However, the team is old, the style is slow and predictable. The Spurs have been figured out. Once upon a time, it was like a new car but now, about a decade later, even the best of cars age. The same has happened to the Spurs.

Newsflash: No odd year foolishness this year.

rascal
03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
The spurs are not mentally weak. They play up to and beyond their talent level winning most of the close games this year and having a great record against the weaker non playoff teams.

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
this thread is stupid.

temujin
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
The Spurs' problem is Mental Weakness?

Is this the new diagnosis of Manu's ankle?

Mental STRENGTH is the biggest -perhaps only- plus of this team compared to ALL NBA contenders.

Donner Party
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
No doubt TD and TP are week between the ears, we need to add someone with fire, heart, and that will shoot off at the mouth a bit

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/babbalanja/godzilla.jpg

Extra Stout
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I think that the Spurs are mentally weak.

I also think that the Suns are a slow, plodding team.

I also think the Lakers' biggest downfall is their lack of consistent offense.

I also think the Magic are too soft in the paint.

I also think that what the Cavs need is that one dominant player who can carry them.

I also think that, year in and year out, the Los Angeles Clippers are the NBA's showcase franchise.

Creation88
03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
What is it with you noobs??
1 loss and the forum goes ape shit and question
everything the spurs have done so far..
Ya'll act as if the fucking sky is falling...
Go jump a cliff why don't you? :lol

are you really going to use your "internet superiority" to try and insult me? gimme a break.

the fact of the matter is that the SPURS seem to squander huge leads to terrible teams and even tend to put their heads down and pout when it comes to superior teams like the Lakers in the Playoffs last year.

it's the same mentality that doomed them during the Kobe/Shaq era. they saw THAT team as "superior" so they just put their heads between their legs then like they did last season.

going into that Playoff series, last year, i had absolutely NO doubt we could take the Lakers. NO doubt. i was actually more fearful of the Hornets than the Lakers yet we somehow bent over for them.

nothing angers me more than my favorite team (whom i've followed for almost 20 years) falters against inferior teams. and i honestly believe we could be the best team in the league if we played to our potential. but we don't and that's how you get losses to the Lakers, Raptors, Thunder etc.

i know we have "bad games" and i've blown by plenty of those games. i also know that Spurs Nation loves the mentality that "the regular season doesn't matter," well what the hell are we gonna do in the PO when the Lakers wave start mounting in Game 6 at their house? are we just going to pucker?

right now i couldn't honestly tell you how the team would react. and that's scary.

we have all the tools to dismantle teams, yet we don't. we're content as fans to accept 3 point wins against bad teams and i think there's something wrong with that, especially since this team could easily blow out teams of that caliber.

crc21209
03-17-2009, 04:03 PM
It's called having a very bad night against a crappy team...and possibly also being bored as hell.

hater
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
our team is everything except mentally weak.

Exhibit A: Lakers were raping them in quarter 1 of last game. Spurs kept their poise and came back in the game.

Creation88
03-20-2009, 10:35 PM
attending tonight's game and i'm officially convinced. 6 missed FTs with the game on the line.

we held Boston to less than 30% in the 1st quarter and struggled to keep a lead. one of our big problems is that the 2nd team is retarded when i comes to scoring. absolutely no one helped besides Tony and Tim.

the guy playing a game in the 3rd Quarter timeout made more 3s with a better % than Finley, Bonner, Mason, and Bruce combined.

Ice009
03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
If Pop won't put his best players on the court in crunch time, it doesn't mean the team is mentally weak. Bowen and Gooden should have been in there.

:(. Get's me mad again. I want our best players to finish the game. Why can't Pop do that? Thomas was good though.

tlongII
03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
This game and the Spurs' blowout loss to the Blazers are definitely a sign of a mentally weak team.

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
yes, the Spurs are mentally weak..LOL..

this team has won multiple titles, and they always execute in close games, but they're mentally weak..it makes a lot of sense..

man..some of you guys are fucking stupid, it's becoming embarrassing to post here with the amount of idiots posting..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-21-2009, 12:57 AM
:rolleyes

NO.

You win some you lose some - all year we've won a majority of the close games, not this time.

man..some of you guys are fucking stupid, it's becoming embarrassing to post here with the amount of idiots posting..

I sadly have to agree with that. I think it stems from the inability of most people to see the big picture. Concentrate on one game and you can't see the wood for the trees.

At least that fucking tool who used to quit on the team in the first Q (or any other time they got behind) is gone... :lol

I am worried about Timmy though - he's at about 60% - and I find it hard to see us winning without him at 80%+, unless Pop gives some more post-scoring duties to Gooden, and Gooden comes through (a big if).

Cant_Be_Faded
03-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Playing some of the best defense of the year that culminates in 6 consecutive missed free throws is not signs of a mentally weak team.

It was a statistically possible, yet very unlikely, effect of playing such amazing D that had an effect on the team's collective legs.

SA210
03-21-2009, 04:02 AM

Sadly, I see this happening in the playoffs as well. :bang

Ice009
03-21-2009, 05:20 AM
are you really going to use your "internet superiority" to try and insult me? gimme a break.

the fact of the matter is that the SPURS seem to squander huge leads to terrible teams and even tend to put their heads down and pout when it comes to superior teams like the Lakers in the Playoffs last year.

it's the same mentality that doomed them during the Kobe/Shaq era. they saw THAT team as "superior" so they just put their heads between their legs then like they did last season.

going into that Playoff series, last year, i had absolutely NO doubt we could take the Lakers. NO doubt. i was actually more fearful of the Hornets than the Lakers yet we somehow bent over for them.

nothing angers me more than my favorite team (whom i've followed for almost 20 years) falters against inferior teams. and i honestly believe we could be the best team in the league if we played to our potential. but we don't and that's how you get losses to the Lakers, Raptors, Thunder etc.

i know we have "bad games" and i've blown by plenty of those games. i also know that Spurs Nation loves the mentality that "the regular season doesn't matter," well what the hell are we gonna do in the PO when the Lakers wave start mounting in Game 6 at their house? are we just going to pucker?

right now i couldn't honestly tell you how the team would react. and that's scary.

we have all the tools to dismantle teams, yet we don't. we're content as fans to accept 3 point wins against bad teams and i think there's something wrong with that, especially since this team could easily blow out teams of that caliber.

I know what you mean about the Lakers in the Kobe/Shaq era cause I thought the Spurs really played soft against those guys and at times looked intimidated because they thought the Lakers were the superior team. I didn't think the Lakers were that much better. It all starts with the leadership if you ask me. No one is going to have any confidence if Pop keeps going on about how great the Lakers are.

Phil Jackson might be onto the right approach as he doesn't usually give other teams any credit, which I think in turn gives his players more confidence. Correct me if I am wrong though as I don't follow the Lakers or Phil Jackson so he may give other teams credit?

I think Manu changed that though when he got here and guys like Sjax who don't give a fuck and just go out and play fearless. I really think we have a pretty good team this season that just lacks a little bit of swagger to go out and destroy teams. Manu doesn't fear the opponent. He only gets down on himself if he is injured or doesn't perform to his own expectations.

I really like they way that the defense is starting to improve though. That's what I love about Spurs basketball. Defense gets me more excited than offense, but we gotta have some offense to win the game too.

George Hill I was down on about a month ago, but since Pop switched him from back up PG and has been using him in that 4th quarter role I am really loving him even with his lack of offense. George is playing his ass off of on defense. I think George can score some more too if the Spurs actually look to get him more involved in the offense. Hill is capable and I think he's got good enough shooting form to hit shots if he gets some open looks.

Bruce needs to start getting more court time too. I really liked Bruce and George out there tonight on defense. Hopefully we can get Manu out there when he is ready instead of Mason or Finley with that combo and lock down while having some more offense to go with it.

Rogue
03-21-2009, 06:20 AM
no team in nba is mentally stronger than spurs, the loss of last night was just a fluke.

cherylsteele
03-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Some of the posters here are mentally weak.
A team with a core of player that have 4 titles are mentally weak??

That is bunk

angel_luv
03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't doubt the Spurs' heart or desire, but something was lacking last night against the Celtics.
The Spurs are playing like they are tired. People lack and energy and do dumb things when they are tired.
I just pray the Spurs recover/ wake up ( as applicable) by play off time- otherwise we are all in for an extended summer vacation.

I did not like the way they came out of the locker room when they faced the Lakers some games back.

I am talking about when the Spurs entered the arena for the warm ups before tip off.
( You can see them in the back hallway from the jumbotron.)

The guys were dragging their feet and all their heads were down. It was as if they had just been badly yelled at so that they were demoralized instead of properly motivated.

I was not surprised we lost that game to the Lakers. I was actually surprised the Spurs made as decent showing as they did with the comeback attempts that match.

xtremesteven33
03-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't doubt the Spurs' heart or desire, but something was lacking last night against the Celtics.
The Spurs are playing like they are tired. People lack and energy and do dumb things when they are tired.
I just pray the Spurs recover/ wake up ( as applicable) by play off time- otherwise we are all in for an extended summer vacation.

I did not like the way they came out of the locker room when they faced the Lakers some games back.

I am talking about when the Spurs entered the arena for the warm ups before tip off.
( You can see them in the back hallway from the jumbotron.)

The guys were dragging their feet and all their heads were down. It was as if they had just been badly yelled at so that they were demoralized instead of properly motivated.

I was not surprised we lost that game to the Lakers. I was actually surprised the Spurs made as decent showing as they did with the comeback attempts that match.

i like the way you think but i dont think this is the case with this Spurs team. No regular season game is bigger than the other for this squad. They have been thru battles and wars and have seen it all. Getting ready for a "Big Game" is something they only mentally do for the Playoffs IMO.

Like Timmy said "Cant get too high, cant get too low". They seem mellow and passive most of the time because thats how their leader is (Duncan). But its not indicitive of this teams physical status.

angel_luv
03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
i like the way you think but i dont think this is the case with this Spurs team. No regular season game is bigger than the other for this squad. They have been thru battles and wars and have seen it all. Getting ready for a "Big Game" is something they only mentally do for the Playoffs IMO.

Like Timmy said "Cant get too high, cant get too low". They seem mellow and passive most of the time because thats how their leader is (Duncan). But its not indicitive of this teams physical status.

I think you are right about the Spurs general attitude.

But while proper emotional control is praiseworthy, in my mind, showing up for work acting half asleep and/or completely uninterested is not acceptable.

Since I have to be perpetually focused, interested, cheerful, and energetic at work (for a lot less pay, I might add), then gosh darn it so do the Spurs.

I don't care if the Spurs have to fake enthusaism from time to time.
Who doesn't?

I don't need ever need the Spurs coming out for any game screaming and spitting, but I don't think making the short trip from the hallway to the court at an energetic pace is too much to ask.

Thankfully that Laker's game was my first time to ever see them looking so very lackadaisical in their entrance.
Hear's hoping it is the last. :toast

SpursDynasty
03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
The Spurs just pace themselves. They play smart. They don't let important players end their season over trying to grab a rebound away from Erick Dampier or lose a guy to knee injury over a showboat layup....we lose a game here or there? No big deal. Sometimes the best way to go is to not try so hard.

We're 2nd in the West.

The Spurs have been doing this for 12 years.....the regular season means zero to Pop and TD.

duncan228
03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
.....the regular season means zero to Pop and TD.

This reminded me of some classic timvp.

Tim Duncan. The preseason is his offseason. The regular season is his preseason. The Western Conference bracket is his regular season. The Finals is his playoffs.

sananspursfan21
03-21-2009, 01:55 PM
MORE LIKE THE DUMBFUCK COACH WE HAVE. dIE POP DIE

what's your deal? you do realize your the most hated dude on here. respect popovich

:idiot

LEONARD
03-21-2009, 02:34 PM
The Spurs just pace themselves. They play smart. They don't let important players end their season over trying to grab a rebound away from Erick Dampier or lose a guy to knee injury over a showboat layup....we lose a game here or there? No big deal. Sometimes the best way to go is to not try so hard.

We're 2nd in the West.

The Spurs have been doing this for 12 years.....the regular season means zero to Pop and TD.

You're dumb

Yuixafun
03-21-2009, 03:05 PM
TD does hang his head on occasion over the years, then walks like Eeyore and it seeps into the whole team. All of them start having a little sullen children walks when TD starts pouting. And we've all seen those games where instead of trying to make a basket he flings up doo doo that has zero chance, then whines for a call and you roll your eyes and think, just fucking play Timmy.

This current Spurs bunch does show some brain farts... from the horrid beginning of the year defensively, poor spacing and stagnant offense , to coming out of a timeout and turning it over.. to letting a team score twice in 10 seconds to close out a half...to missing 6 ft's to end a game against the current Champs...

We'll just have to wait and see, although maybe not mentally weak, this Spurs team is just not that sharp, doesn't have much swagger and seems to lack that juice or mojo that you see Championship caliber teams have this late in the season.

That Turn it on when it counts crap is a trap. You don't have that edge. You need that hunger, that dog in you to fight, just as much as you need a cool head.

You are defined by what you do and think. If you always say oh this doesn't matter right now, If I really wanted to I could etc, you train yourself to be confident in an illusion. What happens when you go to turn it on, but what you're turning on is out of order, or has diminished from lack of use. You need to work a muscle or it shrinks.

If you come into a fight thinking you will start slow and the other guy comes in with his entire Focus on destroying you, chances are you will be obliterated before you have a chance to 'turn it on,' unless your are significantly stronger than your opponent.

I don't mind if the Spurs lose playing their best. But they don't bring it every game. And that's disappointing.

houston spurs fan
03-21-2009, 03:14 PM

I think this thread shows that you are mentally weak. A team that has won this consistently is not mentally weak. They have to pace themselves to gear up for a long, gruelling post season. How can a team coached by pop, led by tim be mentally weak?

Creation88
03-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I think this thread shows that you are mentally weak. A team that has won this consistently is not mentally weak. They have to pace themselves to gear up for a long, gruelling post season. How can a team coached by pop, led by tim be mentally weak?

i'm tired of the pace themselves attitude. i gave you evidence that this has carried over into the Playoffs including last season against the Lakers and every year we got bounced by the Kobe/Shaq era.

they need to get it together now!

J Mack
03-22-2009, 09:14 AM
TD does hang his head on occasion over the years, then walks like Eeyore and it seeps into the whole team. All of them start having a little sullen children walks when TD starts pouting. And we've all seen those games where instead of trying to make a basket he flings up doo doo that has zero chance, then whines for a call and you roll your eyes and think, just fucking play Timmy.

This current Spurs bunch does show some brain farts... from the horrid beginning of the year defensively, poor spacing and stagnant offense , to coming out of a timeout and turning it over.. to letting a team score twice in 10 seconds to close out a half...to missing 6 ft's to end a game against the current Champs...

We'll just have to wait and see, although maybe not mentally weak, this Spurs team is just not that sharp, doesn't have much swagger and seems to lack that juice or mojo that you see Championship caliber teams have this late in the season.

That Turn it on when it counts crap is a trap. You don't have that edge. You need that hunger, that dog in you to fight, just as much as you need a cool head.

You are defined by what you do and think. If you always say oh this doesn't matter right now, If I really wanted to I could etc, you train yourself to be confident in an illusion. What happens when you go to turn it on, but what you're turning on is out of order, or has diminished from lack of use. You need to work a muscle or it shrinks.

If you come into a fight thinking you will start slow and the other guy comes in with his entire Focus on destroying you, chances are you will be obliterated before you have a chance to 'turn it on,' unless your are significantly stronger than your opponent.

I don't mind if the Spurs lose playing their best. But they don't bring it every game. And that's disappointing. I agree 100%:ihit

hitmanyr2k
03-22-2009, 02:23 PM

I don't mind if the Spurs lose playing their best. But they don't bring it every game. And that's disappointing.

I'm not sure if you heard but honest and truthful posts aren't allowed on this board. You lose your homer card for not sticking your head in the sand and saying "we've won 4 titles".

Agloco
03-22-2009, 02:26 PM

In a word, no. You don't win 3 titles by being mentally weak.

Creation88
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
still any questions after today's defensive debacle down the stretch?

THIS team is NOT the team that won 3 Championships. it's completely different.

m33p0
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't know if you knew this but the SPurs have been injured all year long lol.
i don't know if you know this but the Spurs have been treating the RS like it's still training camp the past few seasons. it has worked before because they could always get away with it, since 'only' the suns and mavs challenged them with only health being the deterrent to winning a championship. this year it's different. they actually have to play the regular season. healthy or not, they have not been mentally prepared for big games.

Agloco
03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
still any questions after today's defensive debacle down the stretch?

THIS team is NOT the team that won 3 Championships. it's completely different.

But not mentally weak......

Injured yes. Mentally weak no. Don't get it twisted.

Morg1411
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
this thread is stupid.

:toast

What he said.

LockBeard
03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Pretty soft.

Creation88
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
rears its ugly head again. perfect execution down the stretch.

phxspurfan
03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Playing down to the opposition kills the Spurs again.

Mugen
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
we have no killer instinct.

NONE.

TDfan2007
03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Mentally weak? Not so much.

Lack of talent and a dissapointment to home fans who paid good money to watch this team lose due to poor execution? Yes

The mind of this team is fine. All of these guys are extremely confident and calm under pressure. HOWEVER, outside of our big three, our talent is D-league level so...

TDfan2007
03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
we have no killer instinct.

NONE.

Now this I'll agree with.

Creation88
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
i have to believe a lot of this stems from Pop's inability to stop being stubborn.