PDA

View Full Version : Barry

E20
03-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Even though he didn't make some key shots and made some silly TO's. He played better tonight.

9-6-6

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Like I've said the last few days...

You want to make Barry effective, put the ball in his hands out top and let him create. Don't stick him out at the three point line and tell him to camp.

He had numerous successful drives to the rack tonight, be it him finishing or kicking out to Beno or Tony for open shots.

Barry had more assists than Tony tonight in less minutes.

T Park
03-12-2005, 11:14 PM
made some silly TO's

That is pop's fault too.

E20
03-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeh Pop was on something good this game.

Gerryatrics
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Turnover. One Turnover. And 4-8 shooting. Let's try not to blame the entire loss on Bones again. If he can get comfortable with his shot again, especially his three pointers, and Pop lets him play the way he's used to playing instead of limiting him to a single role he's never really done his entire career, maybe this season wont be a total bust for him afterall.

GoSpurs21
03-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Like I've said the last few days...

You want to make Barry effective, put the ball in his hands out top and let him create. Don't stick him out at the three point line and tell him to camp.

He had numerous successful drives to the rack tonight, be it him finishing or kicking out to Beno or Tony for open shots.

Barry had more assists than Tony tonight in less minutes.Its up to Barry to create or shoot when he gets the ball. I just wish he would be more agressive on the O when he gets the ball in his hands. I think its entirely up to Barry whether to camp or create.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
The problem is in the playsets Barry is primarily drawn up as the camper on the perimeter for the kickout from the post.

what i've been arguing is to give Barry 10-15 touches at the top of the key/on the perimeter as the initiator of the offense, like he was tonight, and you'll see him do a lot better as well as our sometimes stagnant offense.

exstatic
03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Turnover. One Turnover. And 4-8 shooting. Let's try not to blame the entire loss on Bones again.

Of those 4-8 FG, 2 were bunny passes from the PG for a layup and a dunk. He hit one keyhole jumper.

Brent Barry sucks ass. I'm officially on the hatah wagon now. He did nothing late, which is actually Pops fault for having him in there. He can't defend, he's apparently lost the ability to hit the long ball. Bowen could and can do both, and should have been in there late. I'm having serious doubts that Barry could even make a splash with a crap at this point.

Call up Elgin Baylor this summer. Ask him if he will swap second round picks, AND send Sterling the Max $3M payment and get RID of this clown. The Clips always seem to be looking for some salary ballast. Brown has shown that he is a better option at the backup 2, so you bring in LJ III and Noel Felix and let them fight it out for the backup long "3" next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Pop won't give up on Barry, he is one of Pop's specials (much like he sat Nazr while playing his boy Rasho down the stretch tonight).

exstatic
03-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Pop won't give up on Barry, he is one of Pop's specials

I'm hoping that he has another "Rose" moment of clarity this summer, and realizes that what he's getting is not commensurate with the salary that he's paying Barry. There's nothing he's bringing now that other people on the team can't pick up.

Solid D
03-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Rasho had little to do with the collapse in the last 3 minutes. His man (Martin) made a baseline jumper to start their rally and draw within 5 (87-82), then Pop pulled Rasho out and went with Horry and Mass for pretty much the rest of the 4th quarter.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 12:18 AM
You're in the Barry thread. :lol

Solid D
03-13-2005, 12:31 AM
(much like he sat Nazr while playing his boy Rasho down the stretch tonight).

:lol Yeah, but it was a retort to this ^

Barry could have done so much more tonight. Pop & Brent Barry, the story of unrequited love.

slayermin
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
He again missed shots that he should be drilling with no effort. I don't get it.

GoSpurs21
03-13-2005, 12:40 AM
When ever Barry gets the ball it looks more like the Spurs are running the motion offense verses a set play.

Barry showed that he is not clutch in the clutch minutes of the game...see turn over with >30 seconds tonight. Besides the Spurs cannot afford to give a 33 year old inconsistant player more minutes than he's getting now. Unless Barry shows more consistant hustle in fewer minutes he will end up like Steve Smith. I love that when Barry went back into the line up (in the 2nd quarter) he drove to the basket instead of SETTLING for jump shots.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Barry's turnover when Devin started to cut was unfortunate. It didn't have anything to do with being clutch or not, it was just one of those things that sucks and happens.

GoSpurs21
03-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Barry's turnover when Devin started to cut was unfortunate. It didn't have anything to do with being clutch or not, it was just one of those things that sucks and happens.Actually being clutch is not making mistakes went they count the most so I have to disagree with you.

But I did think Barry played with more hustle tonight than in previous games

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Good lord, it wasn't "making a mistake."

Sometimes people are victims of bad timing. That's all that was. Get over it.

boutons
03-13-2005, 01:06 AM
being clutch means perfect ball, hit your shots, hit your FTs, get rebounds, take care of the ball, clock awareness, DONT make mistakes. E X E C U T E

Spurs didn't make their jumpers shots

didn't take the ball to the hoop

Didn't get to the FT line.

didnt get rebounds

didn't take care of the ball

They were just totally outplayed in crunch time.

GoSpurs21
03-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Good lord, it wasn't "making a mistake."

Sometimes people are victims of bad timing. That's all that was. Get over it.I am not blaiming Barry for the loss, but I also dont think Barry can be trusted (to be clutch) when the game is on the line. I actually think Barry showed more hustle in the game tonight than he has for the past month. I would perfer to see him show more of it in less minutes for the rest of the season. Is that really unreasonable?

exstatic
03-13-2005, 01:59 AM
I was sitting with LJ tonight, and you can ask him: on every dead ball in the late 3rd to 4th Q on the Denver end, whether it was ball out or FTs, I was screaming BARRY SUCKS!

If you weren't there, you just can't get an idea of how ineffective he was down the stretch. I kept telling LJ that I was just going to cover my eyes when he shot the ball, but unfortunately (for me) I didn't.

timvp
03-13-2005, 01:59 AM
I know it may be hard to admit for some, but it's become clear that Barry is a choker who wasn't built for the big stage. When the going gets tough, he gets scared. You can see it in his face. The Spurs got him to spread the defense, especially in fourth quarters.

It turns out that he's not going to be able to do that. He gets too panicky and too nervous. When he threw the ball away, that was just a play out of being nervous.

He's never been on a winner. I think it comes down to he's never felt pressure before. Playing for the Clippers and Sonics for most of your career, the most pressure felt is picking the right destination for the April vacation.

To see proof that he's choking, look at his free throw percentages. He's always been a good free throw shooting, but in February he shot 63.6% from the line. In March, it's 66.7%.

He's not a big game player.

Period.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 02:05 AM
He's never been on a winner. I think it comes down to he's never felt pressure before.

I was thinking the exact same thing while I was driving home from the game and formulating trade strategies for Pop to get RID of his ass this summer.

1) Hit the Clips when they need some salary ballast.
2) ending contract
3) call Isaiah

Barry is the anti-Jack.

benjirh
03-13-2005, 03:40 AM
I was sitting with LJ tonight, and you can ask him: on every dead ball in the late 3rd to 4th Q on the Denver end, whether it was ball out or FTs, I was screaming BARRY SUCKS!

Mature. And I just am amazed at all the people that were pissed at the Suns owner. That is fine if you don't like barry, your call. But learn how to be a fan.

GrandeDavid
03-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Tim, those free throw stats are terrifying! Damn, you'd think better could hit at least 85%!

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
03-13-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm hoping that he has another "Rose" moment of clarity this summer, and realizes that what he's getting is not commensurate with the salary that he's paying Barry. There's nothing he's bringing now that other people on the team can't pick up.

Brent's salary ain't exactly breaking the bank. If you recall, one of the reasons they picked him up was b/c he costs about 24 million over three years. Unlike Hedon't and SJax, who cost upwards of 50 million apiece.

American Grace
03-13-2005, 08:38 AM
It turns out that he's not going to be able to do that. He gets too panicky and too nervous. When he threw the ball away, that was just a play out of being nervous.

That turnover was obviously Devin Brown's fault.

He's never been on a winner. I think it comes down to he's never felt pressure before. Playing for the Clippers and Sonics for most of your career, the most pressure felt is picking the right destination for the April vacation.

He made the playoffs with the Clippers. Has Stephen Jackson made the playoffs recently? Is he going to make the playoff this year? I think he plays for a team that won 62 games last season.

To see proof that he's choking, look at his free throw percentages. He's always been a good free throw shooting, but in February he shot 63.6% from the line. In March, it's 66.7%.

He's not a big game player.

Devin Brown is shooting 55% from the FT in March.

Period.

Why don't you just admit you don't like Brent Barry and are reaching to find reasons to justify your dislike.

picnroll
03-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Anyway Spurs can trade Barry to Seattle for a resigned Daniels?

Or if Nazr pans out bring over Scola and package Rasho and Barry for a solid SF.

Uncle Donnie
03-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Barry has played horribly lately but Devin Brown hurt us much more in that game. Offensively, Devin is great on the break and spotting up for the three. He is NOT good at breaking down the defense. How many times did he get the ball, hold on to it for at least 5 seconds, then attempt a drive that resulted in a bad shot or a turnover. Our offense went to shit much of the time when he was out there in the second half. Tony takes some blame for that too I suppose.

I'll be the first to say Barry has been a huge disappointment, but some of you need to question whether you're being objective if you can jump all over him even when he has a decent game. Do you think you know more about basketball than Sean Elliott? Because he was singing Barry's praises throughout the game last night, even on defense.

Most importantly what kind of fan are you if you are screaming "Barry sucks!" at a game? Even if you can't wait to be rid of him, for now he's still a Spur.

Check yourself.

picnroll
03-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree that Brown is overrated as a hometown boy and that when he he's not scoring in transition or hot from the outside, that when he tries to drive more bad things happen than good things.

Problem is Spurs have a weak bench. Beno has regressed. Brown offensively is one dimensional except the occassion when he hits the long ball. And Barry is a bust. He was supposed to be the guy that could throw up 15 - 20 point games fairly regularly. Be clutch in tight games at pivotal points. Nobody other than starters, namely Duncan, Manu and Parker can be counted on except for the once in a blue moon to throw up 20 points or be clutch. Auggie says Barry is misused, needs the ball at the top of the key. He's gotten the ball at the top of the key and has been for the most part totally ineffective gettting to the basket. Can't hit for shit from long range. Can do okay in transition which ain't happening in the playoffs. Presses and makes bad plays. Best defense is fouling.

Hopefully Spurs can ride through the playoffs offensively on the backs of TD, Manu and TP. Maybe they'll get a game or two out of Brown and Spurs will get one or two undoubetly out of Bowen. Best hope now though for a steady producer off the bench is Nazr. Hopefully Nazr can throw up some effective offensive games like he did for NY earlier in the season.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Most importantly what kind of fan are you if you are screaming "Barry sucks!" at a game? Even if you can't wait to be rid of him, for now he's still a Spur.

My heart bleeds for him. PLEASE give me a job that pays $5M a year to have people yell insults at me.

T Park
03-13-2005, 11:32 AM
^^ no shit.

Uncle Donnie
03-13-2005, 12:51 PM
My heart bleeds for him. PLEASE give me a job that pays $5M a year to have people yell insults at me.

Learn to read. I don't feel sorry for Barry at all.

T Park
03-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Elliott can be a tad homerish sometimes, wich I like.

But Barry was brought in for what???

3 point shooting.

Period.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Learn to read. I don't feel sorry for Barry at all.

Then what's your fucking point? If you suck on the court, I'm going to call you out.

If I have a ticket, I can yell pretty much anything I want, short of "Fire!". I was also screaming "Put Nazr in!" when Denver was owning us on the boards the last 4 minutes.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Barry had a good game in part because he moved without the ball -- that's just as easy to do in 4-down. His being covered by Matador Melo helped alot as well. Overall no one can deny he's been a disappointment. I was excited about the signing, but my caveat was his playoff performances. As the games get bigger, my fear seems well-founded.

I think we could easily trade him for,say, Giricek in the offseason if it came down to it. Different player to be sure, but at least that guy isn't afraid to shoot.

Uncle Donnie
03-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Then what's your fucking point? If you suck on the court, I'm going to call you out.

If I have a ticket, I can yell pretty much anything I want, short of "Fire!".

Well congratulations then, great job. :rolleyes

exstatic
03-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Overall no one can deny he's been a disappointment. I was excited about the signing, but my caveat was his playoff performances. As the games get bigger, my fear seems well-founded.

That pretty much sums it up.

T Park
03-13-2005, 01:29 PM
great post Chump

Brodels
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Barry Not the Answer in the Playoffs
By Andy Soucier
FullSportPress.com

A Legacy of Playoff Failure

He has a great career field goal percentage for a guard. He’s regarded as a well-rounded player and a team leader. His superior athleticism helped him win the 1996 slam dunk contest and his feathery touch has enabled him to finish among league leaders in three-point shooting percentage. Brent Barry has developed into a reliable three-position player since struggling with his shot early in his career, but he’s underachieved when it’s mattered most -- in the playoffs.

Seattle Supersonics fans still remember it well. After turning in the best regular season of his career in 2001-02, Barry struggled throughout the entire first-round series against the San Antonio Spurs and came up empty in the first half of the series-deciding Game 5 when his teammates needed him most. After averaging 14.4 points, 5.4 assists and 1.8 steals per game on 51% shooting from the field during the regular season, he only managed 7.8 points, 2.8 assists and 0.6 steals per game on 41% shooting in the series against the Spurs.

Several players have struggled against San Antonio’s superior defense, but Barry’s playoff numbers also decreased in almost every statistical category during his only other significant postseason experience, a first-round series against the Utah Jazz in 2000. Barry averaged 11.8 points and 3.6 assists on 46% shooting during the regular season and 8.4 points and 3.0 assists per game on 36% shooting in the playoffs.

Barry also appeared in three playoff games for the Clippers in 1997, managing 11.7 points per game but only shooting 41% from the field.

For his career, Barry averages 10.6 point, 3.8 assists, and 1.28 steals per game on 46% shooting during the regular season, but his numbers fall to 8.9 points, 3.0 assists and 0.77 steals on 39% shooting in the playoffs. He’s averaged about 29 minutes per contest during both the regular season and the playoffs over the course of his career.

Barry’s playoff struggles are a result of his perimeter-based offensive game and average defensive ability. When games get more physical in the playoffs, Barry’s strengths are minimized. He has fewer opportunities to run the floor, he gets less open looks from the field and he sometimes struggles to stay in front of the other team’s top perimeter offensive threats.

The answer for the Spurs?

After Hedo Turkoglu struggled in the 2004 playoffs, San Antonio went into the offseason looking for a player capable of hitting some perimeter shots, getting his teammates involved and playing minutes at multiple positions when needed. Many fans applauded management’s decision to sign Barry because of his understanding of the game, veteran presence on the court and ability to shoot the ball. He hasn’t been missed in Seattle as the Sonics have become one of the top teams in the league, but he’s shown the ability to provide the Spurs with the shooting, court vision and athleticism needed to jumpstart the reserve unit. He’s played less minutes lately, but head coach Gregg Popovich will find it difficult to keep him off the court as the season progresses because of what he brings to the team.

But Popovich and Buford have built a team designed to excel in the playoffs and the players, management and fans will be satisfied with nothing short of a championship. As the stakes increase in the postseason, the Spurs will rely on Barry to ease the pressure on the post players by hitting perimeter shots. Barry will be expected to excel in the moments when Turkoglu failed. Unfortunately for the Spurs, Barry’s past postseason performances suggest that he will turn out to be exactly what he’s always been -- a great regular season performer with a history of playoff struggles.

© Copyright 2004 FullSportPress.com

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 03:43 PM
:lol@Brodels for pulling his own article out of the FSP archives. :)

Brodels
03-13-2005, 03:50 PM
:)

baseline bum
03-13-2005, 03:52 PM
As a Spurs fan I've finally given up on Barry. It's obvious that he's not going to turn a corner and that he is close to worthless on a championship-contender. Barry is supposed to be a shooter, but he misses tons of wide open looks that Duncan and co. spoonfeed him. When I see this guy now all I think is Paul Pressey the Sequel... or Charles Smith or Charlie Ward or any of the other pieces of crap the Spurs added that were supposed to take them to that next level. Hopefully RC can trade him for someone who can make a contribution to this team in the offseason.

timvp
03-13-2005, 04:14 PM
That turnover was obviously Devin Brown's fault.

Obviously. :lol

The passer is never responsible to throwing it to a person rather than the sidelines.

My bad. :shootme

He made the playoffs with the Clippers. Has Stephen Jackson made the playoffs recently? Is he going to make the playoff this year? I think he plays for a team that won 62 games last season.

What does Brent Barry not living up to expectations have to do with Stephen Jackson making the playoffs? Nice deflection.

Devin Brown is shooting 55% from the FT in March.

What does Brent Barry not living up to expectations have to do with Devin Brown missing free throws? Nice deflection.

Why don't you just admit you don't like Brent Barry and are reaching to find reasons to justify your dislike.

I liked when the Spurs signed him. I thought he was going to be the shooter the team needed. I thought he was going to spread the defense. I thought his "basketball IQ" was going to be good for the team. Pop thought he was going to split time between Manu, Bruce and Brent.

Key words: Thought.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2005, 04:19 PM
The sad thing is we could almost have gotten both Jon Barry and Bob Sura for the same money.

timvp
03-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I seriously at this point would rather have Jon Barry. That guy is tough as nails and always willing to take the big shot.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
I've just got to keep hoping that Barry finds "it" before the playoffs.

The Spurs have historically relied on their veteran reserves to step up at key times in order for the Spurs to be successful in the post season. . .Kerr, Ferry, Willis, Kersey, Purdue. . .even Steve Smith in an inspirational way for SJax all did that well.

I was hoping Barry would be that guy who would be added to the list of those who have stepped up when it counts for this year's edition of the Spurs. . .and I still am.

We'll need someone to be that person this year. That type of leadership is part of the Spurs success formula for post season play. I'm worried about our chances without that ingredient.

Maybe it's going to be Robert Horry, but so far I don't know if Horry or Barry have shown that they have "it" this year. RH has in the past, so here's hoping his best days aren't behind him.

American Grace
03-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Obviously. :lol

The passer is never responsible to throwing it to a person rather than the sidelines.

My bad. :shootme

Watch the play again, try and set aside your obvious bias, and then see if you still think Barry was at fault on that play.

What does Brent Barry not living up to expectations have to do with Stephen Jackson making the playoffs? Nice deflection.

Weren't you the guy saying the Spurs screwed up by letting Jackson go and signing Barry?

If Brent is a choker for making the playoffs with the Clippers, what does that make Stephen Jackson? He's going to miss the playoffs on a team that won 62 games last year.

What does Brent Barry not living up to expectations have to do with Devin Brown missing free throws? Nice deflection.

What does a 2 month long Free Throw shooting trend have to do with choking? And why does it only apply to Brent Barry?

I liked when the Spurs signed him. I thought he was going to be the shooter the team needed. I thought he was going to spread the defense. I thought his "basketball IQ" was going to be good for the team. Pop thought he was going to split time between Manu, Bruce and Brent.

Key words: Thought.

You really can't judge how effective he will be at spreading the defense until the playoffs. You won't be able to say for sure if he is a choker until the playoffs.

I see a lot of comparisons between Barry and Hedo. There is no comparison. Hedo played well in the regular season. Hedo didn't come here to try and win a championship. Hedo wanted to start and get paid. Hedo signed with the worst team in the NBA for monetary reasons. Barry took less to come here to try and help a team win a title, as a reserve.

T Park
03-13-2005, 11:53 PM
I seriously at this point would rather have Jon Barry

yeah i wonder who was campaigning for him in the offseason.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 11:54 PM
:lol@TPark. You have been enjoying giving yourself props lately.

You wanted Brent Barry as well.

T Park
03-13-2005, 11:59 PM
I wanted Stephen Jackson and Jon Barry.

Those were my top two priorities.

BTW, where is my apology from the pop haters when I said it was a broken play and I got accused of this and that.

Im sure itll come the same day Aggie says pop is a good coach.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-14-2005, 12:03 AM
:lol@TPark. You have been enjoying giving yourself props lately.

Tell me that original props thread is in the archives somewhere.

Aggie Hoopsfan
You were jumping for joy over the Barry signing.

You didn't know it was a broken play, you just guessed. Calm the fuck down Nostradumbass.

T Park
You have been enjoying giving yourself props lately.

No one else does, and when Im right, its always

eh he pulled one out of his ass.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Tell me that original props thread is in the archives somewhere.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-14-2005, 12:06 AM
No one else gives you props because you're never right, you just gravy train on other peoples' takes.

T Park
03-14-2005, 12:07 AM
You didn't know it was a broken play

neither did you smartass.

But I was the only one that said it was a broken play cause i saw what Horry was trying to do.

But keeping propping yourself there John Wooden.

T Park
03-14-2005, 12:10 AM
you're never right,

Hmm who said last night it was a dumbfuck pop play, and who said it was a broken play?

Yup your right.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Even Pop admitted it was a dumbfuck play, so what's your problem?

Like I said, Pop could fuck your mom and you'd be there to give him a high five when he got done.

T Park
03-14-2005, 12:16 AM
^^^ nice.

go to the mom comment.

Very adult.

Uncle Donnie
03-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Like I said, Pop could fuck your mom and you'd be there to give him a high five when he got done.

LMFAO :lol

Oh...er...I mean, really mature AHF.