PDA

View Full Version : SCI-FI channel will soon become Sy-Fy

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Building on 16 years of water-cooler programming and soaring ratings growth following its most-watched year ever, SCI FI Channel is evolving into Syfy, beginning this summer, Dave Howe, president, SCI FI, announced today.

By changing the name to Syfy, which remains phonetically identical, the new brand broadens perceptions and embraces a wider range of current and future imagination-based entertainment beyond just the traditional sci-fi genre, including fantasy, supernatural, paranormal, reality, mystery, action and adventure. It also positions the brand for future growth by creating an ownable trademark that can travel easily with consumers across new media and nonlinear digital platforms, new international channels and extend into new business ventures.

"Imagine Greater" will become the new brand message and tagline, inviting both consumers and advertisers into a new era of unlimited imagination, exceptional experiences and greater entertainment.

Syfy more clearly captures the mainstream appeal of the world's biggest entertainment category, and reflects the network's ongoing strategy to create programming that's more accessible and relatable to new audiences. Syfy will continue to celebrate the traditional roots of the genre, while opening the brand to accommodate a broader range of imagination-based entertainment.

"Without abandoning our legacy or our core audience, we needed to cultivate a distinct point of view with a name that we could own that invites more people in and recognizes our broader range of programming with literally something for everyone," Howe said in a statement. "Syfy allows us to build on our 16-year heritage of success with a new brand built on the power that fuels our genre: the imagination. Syfy ushers in a new era of unlimited imagination, exceptional experiences and greater entertainment that paves the way for us to truly become a global lifestyle brand."

Syfy—unlike the generic entertainment category "sci-fi"—firmly establishes a uniquely ownable trademark that is portable across all nonlinear digital platforms and beyond, from Hulu to iTunes. Syfy also creates an umbrella brand name that can extend into new adjacent businesses under the Syfy Ventures banner, including Syfy Games, Syfy Films and Syfy Kids.

Additionally, as the channel's footprint expands rapidly around the globe with the launch of more international channels, Syfy meets the need of a globally relevant, trademarkable brand that stands for something unique to the brand in each territory.

The new brand evolution will launch in July, in tandem with the premiere of the new scripted drama Warehouse 13 on air and at SCIFI.COM, backed by an aggressive marketing campaign, which will kick off this spring.

(SCI FI Wire's name will not change as a result of this new branding.)

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/sci-fi-channel-to-become.php

Borosai
03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
That channel sucks, and their original content is horrible (especially those movies with their amazing special effects). I only watch that channel when they show real movies. Changing the name won't make a difference, and although I think the strategy is borderline lame, it happens all the time and nobody truly cares.

Dex
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Calling crap poop doesn't make it not crap?

I'm even somewhat of a Sci-Fi fan in general, and I can't stand that channel. Who wants to watch marathons of old Hercules and Babylon 5?

ashbeeigh
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
That channel sucks, and their original content is horrible (especially those movies with their amazing special effects). I only watch that channel when they show real movies. Changing the name won't make a difference, and although I think the strategy is borderline lame, it happens all the time and nobody truly cares.

At my house we watch the Sci-Fi channel for exactly that reason. For the crappy movies, even crappier effects and even more horrible acting. It makes our Saturday afternoons go by faster.

The Franchise
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Calling crap poop doesn't make it not crap?

I'm even somewhat of a Sci-Fi fan in general, and I can't stand that channel. Who wants to watch marathons of old Hercules and Babylon 5?

Yes!!

Extra Stout
03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Why does the new name give me a vague connotation with venereal disease?

03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
At my house we watch the Sci-Fi channel for exactly that reason. For the crappy movies, even crappier effects and even more horrible acting. It makes our Saturday afternoons go by faster.

Your boyfriend is doing it wrong.

Extra Stout
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Syfy Original Series:

Gone, O Rhea?: Set in a future society on another planet that mimics the 19th-century American South, a man searches for his lost love across a wartorn interstellar landscape.

Clam-Indians: Humans travel across the galaxy to colonize a planet, and encounter an indigenous nation of semi-nomadic mollusks.

CuckingFunt
03-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd watch Clam-Indians.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Gone, Oh Rea? sounds like an instant classic.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
The only thing worth watching on Sci-Fi are the reruns of LOST.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
The only thing worth watching on Sci-Fi are the reruns of LOST.

There is also the greatness known as Battlestar Galactica.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Not in my house. :lol

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Not in my house. :lol

Your house sucks.

B-Hath
03-17-2009, 01:14 PM

No doubt, but I fail to see the point of changing the identity of the whole channel right after the series finale of the show that has gained you the most notoriety. Bad planning IMO.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Your house sucks.

Let's see...my house sucks and I'm stupid, anything else? :lol

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Every once in a while, Sci-Fi shows an entertaining zombie flick, and they redeem themselves.
For the most part, all they do on weekends is show countless, unwatchable, straight-to-video (or television) movies about mutant reptiles, mutant insects, mutant bats or mutant sea creatures, and then their credibility goes right down the shitter again.
That Chiller channel isn't any better either.

leemajors
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Monster Man was awesome.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
They need to start showing Incredible Hulk reruns again.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Let's see...my house sucks and I'm stupid, anything else? :lol

You're retarded.

CubanMustGo
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
You're retarded.

and probably doesn't drink Shiner, either.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
You're retarded.

I'm a little crazy, but not retarded. :downspin:

You're correct, I don't drink Shiner. I gave up beer. :depressed

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM

That's just crazy talk.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Actually, I gave up on the stuff too.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Actually, I gave up on the stuff too.

:whine I drink mainly wine.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
:whine I drink mainly wine.

I drink mainly water, with the occasional tea.

But, you're still retarded.

Battlestar Galactica is pure awesomeness.

manustarting2gd
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Scy-Fy? Damn, phonetic spelling? Instead of Science Fiction? Wow, Idiocracy is imminent. Soon we'll be seeing, "ASS, THE MOVIE" tops at the box office.

04o2V2ah5dI

AlamoSpursFan
03-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Battlestar Galactica is pure awesomeness.

If this is true, why didn't they just create their own show? Why hijack the identity of a show that (in it's time) was pretty damn awesome itself?

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
If this is true, why didn't they just create their own show? Why hijack the identity of a show that (in it's time) was pretty damn awesome itself?

Dude, the original series was cheesy as hell.

Did I watch it? Yea, I did. But, only because I'm a sci-fi nerd and I'll give any show based on outer space a chance.

The new Battlestar is just pure awesomeness.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Battlestar Gallactica!?!? :lmao

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
And you call me stupid? :lmao

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
And you call me stupid? :lmao

Yea, I do.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Yea, I do.

Thanks!

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks!

You're welcome.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
You're welcome.

Actually I too am a sci-fi nut but more into real science but I did watch the Star Trek spin-off but I can't remember what it was called. The one with the female Captain. Oh well. I just couldn't get into battlestar.

AlamoSpursFan
03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Dude, the original series was cheesy as hell.

Did I watch it? Yea, I did. But, only because I'm a sci-fi nerd and I'll give any show based on outer space a chance.

The new Battlestar is just pure awesomeness.

Sure, it's cheesy. But at the time, it was awesome. Especially to a kid in the late '70s.

My question, though, is why "re-imagine" an already existing show? If they were going to re-make it, like Hollyweird seems hell bent on doing to every other movie/show older than 3 years, and use new actors reprising the roles of the original, that would be one thing. But why bother using character names and situations in a totally new show? Just make your own new show.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Actually I too am a sci-fi nut but more into real science but I did watch the Star Trek spin-off but I can't remember what it was called. The one with the female Captain.

Voyager.

That was only one of the spin offs.

There was TNG (The Next Generation), DSG (Deep Space Nine), Voyager, and Enterprise, which was more of a prequel of sorts.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Voyager.

That was only one of the spin offs.

There was TNG (The Next Generation), DSG (Deep Space Nine), Voyager, and Enterprise, which was more of a prequel of sorts.

Okay, it was Deep Space Nine.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Pfffft...........none of these shows would exist if it wasn't for The Jetsons. :tu

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Sure, it's cheesy. But at the time, it was awesome. Especially to a kid in the late '70s.

My question, though, is why "re-imagine" an already existing show? If they were going to re-make it, like Hollyweird seems hell bent on doing to every other movie/show older than 3 years, and use new actors reprising the roles of the original, that would be one thing. But why bother using character names and situations in a totally new show? Just make your own new show.

I get what you're saying.

And, this pisses me off, to be sure, when it happens with other movies and what not. But, the new Battlestar is just superior to the old Battlestar.

It took me a while to get over the fact that many of the things and characters were changed. But, the story is just compelling as hell.

You should give it a shot.

peewee's lovechild
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Pfffft...........none of these shows would exist if it wasn't for The Jetsons. :tu

And, the Jetsons would'nt have existed if it wasn't for the Buck Rodgers series.

Hey, anyone remember the cheesy as hell Buck Rodgers of the 80s.

I used to love that show.

IronMexican
03-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I only catch the Twilight Zone on it.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
And, the Jetsons would'nt have existed if it wasn't for the Buck Rodgers series.

Hey, anyone remember the cheesy as hell Buck Rodgers of the 80s.

I used to love that show.

:lol I'm being dissed about the Jetsons!

SpursWoman
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Doesn't Scare Tactics come on that channel? That show cracks me up.

JudynTX
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Doesn't Scare Tactics come on that channel? That show cracks me up.

Yea it does. :lol How can those people not know something just isn't right? :lmao

Xylus
03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television. I'm not sure why anyone would laugh when someone suggests that it's a great show, unless one is completely uninitiated.

velik_m
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Battlestar Galactica was so boring i stopped watching it - and i watched all the episodes of Babylon 5: Crusade.

Xylus
03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Battlestar Galactica was so boring i stopped watching it - and i watched all the episodes of Babylon 5: Crusade.

You're the kind of guy that thinks TV doesn't get much better than House.

ChumpDumper
03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't understand why SciyFyi doesn't show HD shows in HD on its HD channel. What's the point of having it? Maybe if they called it Eighch-Die (German pronunciation for the second word, of course).

I like the basic concepts of BG, but god damn they drag things out -- and "frak" got old after the first thirty minutes of the pilot. I never made it out of the first season.

Xylus
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't understand why SciyFyi doesn't show HD shows in HD on its HD channel. Maybe if they called it Eighch-Die (German pronunciation for the second word, of course).

I like the basic concepts of BG, but god damn they drag things out -- and "frak" got old after the first thirty minutes of the pilot. I never made it out of the first season.

That's unfortunate because the 2nd season is the best.

velik_m
03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
You're the kind of guy that thinks TV doesn't get much better than House.

What's House?

Anyway, maybe it was just the cameraman with Parkinson's disease.

velik_m
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I like the basic concepts of BG, but god damn they drag things out

and this.

AlamoSpursFan
03-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Felgercarb.

:lol

Avitus1
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Battlestar Galactica is going off the air at the end of the week. There is another BSG movie in June. Other then this there is no reason for me to watch Sci-Fi mostly everything sucks on this channel. Unless I want to watch the 22 different versions of that Stargate show.

exstatic
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Stargate Universe - October 2009 :hat

http://www.tvjab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/stargate-universe-logo.jpg

Avitus1
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I just dont understand it. The movie was fucking retarded. Yet its spawned 2 now 3 dumbass shows.

exstatic
03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I just dont understand it. The movie was fucking retarded. Yet its spawned 2 now 3 dumbass shows.

SG-1 was better than the movie that spawned it.

SG-A had potential, but ultimately failed because they couldn't get a consistent cast. Too many changes. There were 2 or maybe 3 good seasons out of 5.

SG-U had to wait for the end of SG-A, because it's so expensive to produce. They couldn't budget for both shows.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Sci Fi Channel rules. It's all us sci-fi geeks have, so we might as well watch it, is what I say.

Chiller channel is kinda cool, they showed From Beyond the second day we started getting that channel, which instantly put the channel on my good side. It sucks they ruin movies with commericals...but at least they fuzz out tits, they don't fully axe a graphic scene like USA or TNT.

As long as Sci Fi doesn't go the G4 route, which is really the MTV route, where they start with a core demographic, then try to expand that demographic by showing alot of unrelated crap to the original idea, making it exactly like every other shitty channel.

IronMexican
03-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I miss the OG G4 before it turned into Reality TV.

velik_m
03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Battlestar Galactica is going off the air at the end of the week. There is another BSG movie in June. Other then this there is no reason for me to watch Sci-Fi mostly everything sucks on this channel. Unless I want to watch the 22 different versions of that Stargate show.

Eureka is pretty fun too.