PDA

View Full Version : Pop Rant x2

Yogurt210
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes pop deservers another thread about his horrible decisions thus far, this season.

Pop, is starting to give me second thoughts.
He has been an excellent coach, but these past 2 years, he has def. been slipping.
He is making very questionable decisions with his team and it’s starting to really tick me off.
Very questionable line-ups, making me pull out my damn hair. He starting not to coach “Spurs basketball”.
He’s playing very “un-athletic” players : Bonner, Udoka, Vaughn.
When we see some young blood with some potential and actual athleticism, Pop just benches them, trades them ,waives them etc.
And then we go back to our original scrubs of Udoka, Bonner, Vaughn. Gahh..yes Bonner can shoot. That’s it.
Hariston was kicking ass for us, Mensa-Bonsu show spirit and hustle, what almost every spur’s player lacks right now.
Spurs need a spark player, something to get the fans up off their feet about. For reals. I Am a huge SPURS fan, and have been all my life. But it seems this year’s games have been really boring, except a few. We have evolved to a jump shooting “old” and injury prone team with bad coaching decsisions. Yes , we have a decent record, but when it comes time to beat the teams that matter, we rarely do. And when we do its just purely off 3 point shots lol. Even Timmy is pissing me off shooting long-ass jumpers. Tony starting to shoot threes, Mason Bonner Finley getting in slumps off jumpshots. We have ZERO slashers, we have ZERO energy bringers (not including Manu), making it tough to give us fans for something to cheer about. God Forbid we get a dunk in game, pop will put you on the reserve/inactive list. And where the hell is our “D”?? Bowen is a proven defender, he should be starting til his legs fall off. Even if he has lost a step, it’s still 10x steps faster than Udoka or Finley. Duncan seriously needs help downlow on the block, and putting Bonner there does jack-shit. If not makes it worse for Tim. Gooden should get the start, easily. Better defender and more athleticism than our current C/PF’s. And Oberto should back him up. I miss Oberto, his basketball IQ is very high and he’s not that bad of a player. I miss our old team, I hate watching the games as we slowly deteriorate as an old jumpshooting team with a scrub bench and a jacked up lineup.

Come playoff time I hope something gets fixed asap. Maybe even sooner..
PG- Parker
SG- Ginobili
SF- Bowen
PF- Gooden
C- Duncan

Backup
PG- Hill
SG- Mason
SF- Finley
PF- Oberto
C- Thomas

That my friends, is a solid line-up.
And something that needs to be put in effect as soon as Ginobili comes back.
Re-activate Harriston, please
De-activate udoka

I could on….but I will stop here.

/end rant

polandprzem
03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
:lmao

Donner Party
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/babbalanja/pop_rocks.jpg

Taco
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/babbalanja/pop_rocks.jpg

:lol

jrmp317
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Yes , we have a decent record, but when it comes time to beat the teams that matter, we rarely do.

besides Orlando, Milwaukee (:bang), and Cleveland (who we've only played once), we've beaten every playoff team from both conferences this season. Who else are we supposed to beat?

Yogurt210
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
In a 7-game series. Not just 1 game.
With the way were are playing now, and the same line-up.
Considering all teams are healthy.
Lakers – NO chance – all around great team, kobe is always clutch.
Cavs – No chance – all around great team, and lebron is a beast this year.
Magic – No chance, Howard will wreck us all day. Making Bonner look like a trans-gender girl scout who got abused as a child..
Celtics – small chance, celtics is a good team, showing signs of age also. But they have a lot more Hustle than we do.

Those are the only teams that I am worried about, because they are the ones that stand in our way for that ring and pose a huge threat. One close season win, doesn’t mean much. Spurs lack the attitude this year. We are no longer called the “Dirty” spurs. I loved that name. We live and die off that 3 point shot. Nuff said. So just hop off Pop’s balls for just a sec, and think about it.

I really don’t wanna see the spurs knocked off in the first or second round, because the blazers pushed them around. Hell I don’t even wanna see them get beat by the lakers , going all that way. We are a good team. Come playoff time if were are playing like this/coached like this we stand little chance against the elites Lakers/Cavs/Magic/Celtics.

CubanMustGo
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
LMAO "Yogurt210", is this you with your dad?

http://www.minhembio.com/dvdrec/jedi/screens/spaceballs/yogurt.jpg

Yogurt210
03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
LMAO "Yogurt210", is this you with your dad?

http://www.minhembio.com/dvdrec/jedi/screens/spaceballs/yogurt.jpg

That’s actually you and Pop’s wit your ugly ass mom in the back, haha

bdictjames
03-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Lmao, be a Cavs or Lakers fan then.

Some Spurs fans can't seem to get the point that Pop's way of thinking is way different than the rest of us.

EricB
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Sigh,

the 15 year olds return.

Technique
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Let me sum it up for you. If you're this resentful about the Spurs and Pop then maybe you really aren't a true Spurs fan. Maybe you just liked them because they were champions. Bottom line is every team has its ups and downs. Yesterdays loss was definitely a down. But at the end of the day I trust Pop because I know he's one of the best coaches of all time. So give me a break.

Yogurt210
03-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, if your going to shrug this kinda stuff off, and watch the spurs slowly lose it. Then hey , that’s you. Don’t expect much come playoff time. And its not just 1 game, it’s been an overall season. I am from SA Town born and raised, spurs fan since I was crawling, so I’m def. not a bandwagoner. No sir. When I see something wrong with my team and nothing is being done for 1 game or for a whole season, I will be sure to express it. That’s how real fans are. Up’s and downs, yes. A lot of those UPS could have easily been downs. I think this year was our worst rodeo road trip correct?

EricB
03-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Alright basketball expert, who should coach the team instead?

And NOT, this year's road trip was NOT.

crc21209
03-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Whatever we are thinking here....Pop is thinking the exact opposite. Every yr. its the same thing....we praise him...we bash him...but at the end of every year we love the guy. Pop is taken for granted just as much as Tim is. They should both be praised for what they have done since they set foot here. They are the reason we have 4 titles. And the reason we are still in contention every year even when we don't take it all. But 4 in 9 years is pretty damn amazing, considering some teams have ZERO. No matter all the shit that has happened this year, I still believe in Pop, and this team, and we'll be there right in the end, where we belong. :flag:

EricB

Waiting....

Spursfan092120
Yes pop deservers another thread about his horrible decisions thus far, this season.

He has been an excellent coach, but these past 2 years, he has def. been slipping.
He is making very questionable decisions with his team and it’s starting to really tick me off.
Very questionable line-ups, making me pull out my damn hair. He starting not to coach “Spurs basketball”.
When we see some young blood with some potential and actual athleticism, Pop just benches them, trades them ,waives them etc.
And then we go back to our original scrubs of Udoka, Bonner, Vaughn. Gahh..yes Bonner can shoot. That’s it.
Hariston was kicking ass for us, Mensa-Bonsu show spirit and hustle, what almost every spur’s player lacks right now.
Spurs need a spark player, something to get the fans up off their feet about. For reals. I Am a huge SPURS fan, and have been all my life. But it seems this year’s games have been really boring, except a few. We have evolved to a jump shooting “old” and injury prone team with bad coaching decsisions. Yes , we have a decent record, but when it comes time to beat the teams that matter, we rarely do. And when we do its just purely off 3 point shots lol. Even Timmy is pissing me off shooting long-ass jumpers. Tony starting to shoot threes, Mason Bonner Finley getting in slumps off jumpshots. We have ZERO slashers, we have ZERO energy bringers (not including Manu), making it tough to give us fans for something to cheer about. God Forbid we get a dunk in game, pop will put you on the reserve/inactive list. And where the hell is our “D”?? Bowen is a proven defender, he should be starting til his legs fall off. Even if he has lost a step, it’s still 10x steps faster than Udoka or Finley. Duncan seriously needs help downlow on the block, and putting Bonner there does jack-shit. If not makes it worse for Tim. Gooden should get the start, easily. Better defender and more athleticism than our current C/PF’s. And Oberto should back him up. I miss Oberto, his basketball IQ is very high and he’s not that bad of a player. I miss our old team, I hate watching the games as we slowly deteriorate as an old jumpshooting team with a scrub bench and a jacked up lineup.

PG- Parker
SG- Ginobili
SF- Bowen
PF- Gooden
C- Duncan

Backup
PG- Hill
SG- Mason
SF- Finley
PF- Oberto
C- Thomas

De-activate udoka

/end rant
I've said it before and I'll say it again....

http://msghelp.net/images/stfu_noob.jpg

MoSpur
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Once again, the only people or person who can rant or give his/her opinion is TPark and a guy named Eric B.

Spursfan092120
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Whatever we are thinking here....Pop is thinking the exact opposite. Every yr. its the same thing....we praise him...we bash him...but at the end of every year we love the guy. Pop is taken for granted just as much as Tim is. They should both be praised for what they have done since they set foot here. They are the reason we have 4 titles. And the reason we are still in contention every year even when we don't take it all. But 4 in 9 years is pretty damn amazing, considering some teams have ZERO. No matter all the shit that has happened this year, I still believe in Pop, and this team, and we'll be there right in the end, where we belong. :flag:
:tu :toast

FromWayDowntown
03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
But, but, but -- Spurs fans are entitled to another ring and Gregg Know Nothing Popovich is screwing that all up!!!!!!!!

I mean, people in the know have the utmost respect for Pop. They will tell you that no coach has more respect from his crew than Popovich. His team doesn't place any great emphasis on the regular season, yet consistently wins 56+ games (an exceptional number if you think about it). His teams have won at least one playoff round in all but 2 years of his career -- one was his first year, the other was the year he had to play without his superstar. For years, franchises have made runs to displace the Spurs atop the West and nobody -- NO BODY -- has been able to sustain such a run over the same time that the Spurs have. Pop's been at the heart of player evaluations throughout that time and has overseen at least 2 substantial overhauls of personnel and (to some degree even) philosophy. The end result of that? Wins, of course.

So when Pop tinkers during the regular season -- when he harkens back to the dilemma he faced in 2006 when circumstances basically forced him to use smallball lineups that he'd never really given any thought or time to -- and plays with combinations to consider how to deal with any number of things his team might face in the post-season, I think it's a really, really fair criticism to suggest that he's lost it. When he thinks that guys who are athletic, energy players don't have the size, strength, or talent to play consistently at the NBA level, it's reasonable to think that Pop just hates youth and athleticism (reasonable, particularly in light of the fact that Pop has almost never been unwilling to give time to young, athletic guys who have NBA-ready size, strength, and talent). When Pop doesn't panic over a disappointing regular season loss, I think it's appropriate to blast him for his unwillingness to adapt.

Really, I do.

Yogurt210
03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
But, but, but -- Spurs fans are entitled to another ring and Gregg Know Nothing Popovich is screwing that all up!!!!!!!!

I mean, people in the know have the utmost respect for Pop. They will tell you that no coach has more respect from his crew than Popovich. His team doesn't place any great emphasis on the regular season, yet consistently wins 56+ games (an exceptional number if you think about it). His teams have won at least one playoff round in all but 2 years of his career -- one was his first year, the other was the year he had to play without his superstar. For years, franchises have made runs to displace the Spurs atop the West and nobody -- NO BODY -- has been able to sustain such a run over the same time that the Spurs have. Pop's been at the heart of player evaluations throughout that time and has overseen at least 2 substantial overhauls of personnel and (to some degree even) philosophy. The end result of that? Wins, of course.

So when Pop tinkers during the regular season -- when he harkens back to the dilemma he faced in 2006 when circumstances basically forced him to use smallball lineups that he'd never really given any thought or time to -- and plays with combinations to consider how to deal with any number of things his team might face in the post-season, I think it's a really, really fair criticism to suggest that he's lost it. When he thinks that guys who are athletic, energy players don't have the size, strength, or talent to play consistently at the NBA level, it's reasonable to think that Pop just hates youth and athleticism (reasonable, particularly in light of the fact that Pop has almost never been unwilling to give time to young, athletic guys who have NBA-ready size, strength, and talent). When Pop doesn't panic over a disappointing regular season loss, I think it's appropriate to blast him for his unwillingness to adapt.

Really, I do.

So if Pop didn’t think Hariston or Bonsu was big and athletic enough to play in the NBA, what the hell does he think about Bonner and Udoka? Give me a break.
We are not the same Spurs team ,love it or hate it. I see this team slowly going in a different direction. But you can surely count me as A spurs fan always and forever. To be honest I think Pop’s is just setting us up for next season. And kinda blowing this one off.

silverblackfan
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Really, I do.

:toast

FromWayDowntown
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
So if Pop didn’t think Hariston or Bonsu was big and athletic enough to play in the NBA, what the hell does he think about Bonner and Udoka? Give me a break.

I'd say that Pop thinks -- like other NBA franchises have -- that both Bonner and Udoka have the ability to play regularly at the NBA level.

It's funny that you point to Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who is already with his 3rd NBA team (one that blows chunks at the moment, for what that's worth) and still hasn't even come close to reaching 40 NBA games.

But, by all means, I encourage you to get out there and apply for a job as an NBA talent evaluator. I'm sure you know more than Gregg Popovich -- you've already demonstrated that much.

:rolleyes

We are not the same Spurs team ,love it or hate it. I see this team slowly going in a different direction. But you can surely count me as A spurs fan always and forever. To be honest I think Pop’s is just setting us up for next season. And kinda blowing this one off.

At some point -- specifically, the point at which Tim Duncan is no longer playing -- all of this luxury of being a perrennial contender will end, abruptly. There is no sense in trying to build beyond Duncan. The Spurs best hope after Duncan retires is to get really bad and pray that they land another guy who has all-world talent and an all-universe head. For now, though, the Spurs are rightfully building to try to make as many more runs at it with Duncan around as possible. In that regard, it makes no sense to try to keep a bunch of project-type players around. It's much more feasible to find guys who are undoubtedly NBA players and make them the pieces that surround the big star in the middle.

I think you're foolish if you think Pop is blowing off the season. I think that Pop is working through combinations at times and trying to cobble things together while one of the 3 stars that his team was built around is out and while another of those 3 stars is hobbling. And, frankly, I think he's done a remarkable job of it. For this team to be 3 up on everyone in the West, other than LA, this close to the end of a season that has seen the Spurs absolutely ravaged by injury is amazing to me.

Bartleby
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
To be honest I think Pop’s is just setting us up for next season. And kinda blowing this one off.

jrmp317
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
In a 7-game series. Not just 1 game.
With the way were are playing now, and the same line-up.
Considering all teams are healthy.
Lakers – NO chance – all around great team, kobe is always clutch.
Cavs – No chance – all around great team, and lebron is a beast this year.
Magic – No chance, Howard will wreck us all day. Making Bonner look like a trans-gender girl scout who got abused as a child..
Celtics – small chance, celtics is a good team, showing signs of age also. But they have a lot more Hustle than we do.

Those are the only teams that I am worried about, because they are the ones that stand in our way for that ring and pose a huge threat. One close season win, doesn’t mean much. Spurs lack the attitude this year. We are no longer called the “Dirty” spurs. I loved that name. We live and die off that 3 point shot. Nuff said. So just hop off Pop’s balls for just a sec, and think about it.

I really don’t wanna see the spurs knocked off in the first or second round, because the blazers pushed them around. Hell I don’t even wanna see them get beat by the lakers , going all that way. We are a good team. Come playoff time if were are playing like this/coached like this we stand little chance against the elites Lakers/Cavs/Magic/Celtics.

the only team we currently have no chance of beating in a 7 game series is the Lakers. Magic flounder come playoff time, and I don't trust the Cavs supporting cast come playoff time either.

Technique
03-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I kind of agree with this guy. People that just say you're not a Spurs fan when you critique someone on the team just drinks the kool-aid of being a total asshat.

There's a difference between critiquing someone and just being ignorant. Pop is one step ahead of all of us, he gets paid to think every rotation and lineup through. Ranting on the forum about what you think should happen is just being ignorant.

MateoNeygro
03-17-2009, 04:11 PM

PG- Parker
SG- Ginobili
SF- Bowen
PF- Gooden
C- Duncan

Backup
PG- Hill
SG- Mason
SF- Finley
PF- Oberto
C- Thomas

De-activate udoka

/end rant

I didn't even read this whole shit. But being an NBA coach can't be easy. There isn't anybody else I'd rather have as our coach. And that's all there is to it. People making up line ups is laughable...

senorglory
03-17-2009, 04:11 PM
PG- Parker
SG- Ginobili
SF- Bowen
PF- Gooden
C- Duncan

Why do you think Bowen should be starting this season? and why do you think he hasn't been playing much at all recently? and do you believe Bowen is more athletic than the other 2s and 3s on the bench, since you've put a premium on athleticism?

Don't you agree that the additions of Mason, Hill, and the occasional Udoka sighting, have given the Spurs a great boost in backcourt athleticism already?

crc21209
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Once Manu comes back, Udoka should not even sniff the court. Our guard rotation should consist of TP, Hill, Mason, and Manu. Our Small Forward position should be split between Fin and Bowen. Screw Udoka.

rayray2k8
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
You call yourself a spurs fan??
I swear this forum is bipolar with the type of idiots the
board carried.. 1 loss and they start going ape shit..

Just shut fuck up noob..

senorglory
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
We started the season with Manu, Parker, Thomas, and Oberto out with injuries. Duncan has been off and on with injuries, and Manu is out again. It's my theory, and admittedly it's just a theory, that injuries to key players affect a teams performance.

SenorSpur
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
While I don't agree with everything in the original post, there were some redeeming comments that deserve pointing out.

The Spurs did take steps to get younger over this past summer. However, the integration of said youth is a slow process. I've always feared that the Spurs would be caught by failing to identify and integrate replacements for Bowen and Finley. The Fakers series clearly exposed the sheer lack of quickness and athleticism at that position. It's just one of several positions where the Spurs simply couldn't match up with them. It is also a position where you will find many of the NBA's best athletes. Unfortunately, the players the Spurs have invested in, at that position, have not worked out or have been grossly undersized or under-athletic. That said, it's alarming that the SF position has been, and still is, a perennial "achilles heel" for this team. As a standard rule of resource planning, it's better to start too early than too late. You can only patch a hole for so long, until it's time to finally fix it.

Hariston was kicking ass for us, Mensa-Bonsu show spirit and hustle, what almost every spur’s player lacks right now.]
Hairston has indeed been surprising with his development. I wanted to see more of him too. With Manu out, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for him to get some much-needed PT. Obviously, Pop felt differently. Pops, on the hand, was still a year or two away from possibly contributing as a rotation player, on a good team. I really liked his skills and his raw energy and I would've liked to see him develop here too. However there just wasn't enough roster spots. Once Gooden became available, that virtually sealted Pops' fate with the Spurs.

We have evolved to a jump shooting “old” and injury prone team

This much is very true and not surprising. Injuries are an expected downside with having older players. Tim's game has evolved too. He's been setting up more on the high post to preserve himself. Nothing wrong with that. Until the arrival of Gooden, there has not been another low-post presence on this team in 5 years - since D-Rob left the building. Another questionable resource glitch.

We have ZERO slashers, we have ZERO energy bringers (not including Manu)
Can't argue with this statement at all. In fact, if Ginobili's injury has done nothing else, it has exposed this glaring deficiency. One that many of us already knew. Look no further than the Dallas Mavs to understand why a team of jump shooters cannot win a championship. We all know the Spurs championship teams of the past didn't live by the 3-pt shot, as their primary offensive weapon. It was Duncan's low-post offensive brilliance that drew double teams and created opportunities for open shooters.

Duncan seriously needs help downlow on the block, and putting Bonner there does jack-shit. If not makes it worse for Tim. Gooden should get the start, easily. Better defender and more athleticism than our current C/PF’s.
The lack of length, rebounding and shotblocking prowess on the frontline was on full display in last spring's WCF series versus the Fakers. In fairness to the FO, the immediate future was bright with the expected arrival of Splitter and the debut of Ian. Of course, we know how that all turned out. Instead the Spurs were forced to trot out virtually the same frontline (sans Horry) that they had last year. Thank God for Drew Gooden and hopefully this will be the beginning of a productive relationship for both sides. For now, Gooden definitely deserves to start. He's far too talented to sit the bench.

Spursfan092120
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Why do you think Bowen should be starting this season? and why do you think he hasn't been playing much at all recently? and do you believe Bowen is more athletic than the other 2s and 3s on the bench, since you've put a premium on athleticism?

Don't you agree that the additions of Mason, Hill, and the occasional Udoka sighting, have given the Spurs a great boost in backcourt athleticism already?
I'll take this one...Um..because we haven't seen the Spurs look this bad on defense recently since...well...since Duncan got here. When Bruce is in the game, the defense looks great. When he's on the bench, it's a weak point. We've won 4 championships...not with offense, but with defense. You don't win a 5th title by going away from what won the 4 before that.

Spursmania
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3751)

45 bank shot
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
moore gooden pls

my2sons
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I'll take this one...Um..because we haven't seen the Spurs look this bad on defense recently since...well...since Duncan got here. When Bruce is in the game, the defense looks great. When he's on the bench, it's a weak point. We've won 4 championships...not with offense, but with defense. You don't win a 5th title by going away from what won the 4 before that.

Agreed, but Bruce has slowly been getting minutes, pop has managed to rest bruce the entire season and I look for more minutes come the final couple of weeks of the regular season and playoffs. All the talk here was rest manu until he's ready. Pop does that and manu has been relegated to an ineffective role player that can only jump shoot. somehow come playoff time I am hopeful the rest will do him good and he does so many other things to force his will on the game. I truly believe this has been pop's masterpiece of a seasom. Experts predicted the demise of the Spurs as an 8th seed at best and probably out of the playoff picture, yet he has managed another successful campaign despite critical injuries and screams for minutes for players like mensa bonsu, malik hairston, cries for flight white, bitter arguments against michael finley and the trash that is bonner. Yet many of the NBA so-called experts admit that the only team in the west that can possibly unseed the Lakers is this crappy decrepit old boring team in San Antonio.

senorglory
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM

Alright. I'm not challenging you two, just trying to get your opinions. What about my other questions regarding Bruce, Why hasn't he been playing significant minutes this season, and given the original thread topic's emphasis on athleticism, does Bruce give more athleticism than the other 2s and 3s on the bench.

senorglory
03-17-2009, 11:24 PM
About the Spurs Defense: Spurs' team defense seems to be improving as the season progresses; probably due to the improved health of key players, better integration of first year players and first year starters with the team, and, of course, SPAM.

Yahoo sports sortable stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?cat1=Total&cat2=opponent&conference=Western&year=season_2008) shows Spurs 1st in the Western conference with the lowest allowed opponent points per game at 93.2, and 2nd after the Lakers in point differential at 3.9.

About Bruce, the Spurs may very well be a better defensive team while Bruce is on the floor, but still, it doesn't naturally follow that Bruce should therefore be the starter or play the bulk of the minutes. It may make more sense for this group of Spurs to have Bruce play the defensive stopper who comes off the bench for crucial defensive moments, but to otherwise start other Spurs that provide more scoring options. What do you think?

Spursfan092120
03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
About the Spurs Defense: Spurs' team defense seems to be improving as the season progresses; probably due to the improved health of key players, better integration of first year players and first year starters with the team, and, of course, SPAM.

Yahoo sports sortable stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?cat1=Total&cat2=opponent&conference=Western&year=season_2008) shows Spurs 1st in the Western conference with the lowest allowed opponent points per game at 93.2, and 2nd after the Lakers in point differential at 3.9.

About Bruce, the Spurs may very well be a better defensive team while Bruce is on the floor, but still, it doesn't naturally follow that Bruce should therefore be the starter or play the bulk of the minutes. It may make more sense for this group of Spurs to have Bruce play the defensive stopper who comes off the bench for crucial defensive moments, but to otherwise start other Spurs that provide more scoring options. What do you think?
That's what they're doing right now..bringing Bruce off the bench for crucial defensive moments...but in my personal opinion, it's not enough. Bruce needs more time. He's shown lately that he can still hit that baseline 3, and he even has added driving to the basket to the game. He can hit the floater...he can dish it off. He's becoming more of an offensive threat. IMO, those times when we have 2 PGs out there (Parker and Hill), we should have Bruce out there instead of Hill. Not wanting to take minutes away from Hill, but I think a lineup with Bruce in it is better than a 2 PG lineup. Or give him Udoka's minutes. He ain't doing crap anyway. Isn't there something wrong when a guy is given a spotlight by Fox Sports just because he scored 7 points tonight, even though he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the 3rd and 4th quarter, when it mattered? Bruce needs to get 2005 and 2007 minutes...we win the title because of defense, not offense.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2009, 05:10 AM

For someone who claims to be a die hard fan it is incredible how you don't even know the names of the young players you're advocating to be played over established veterans in a championship run.

Yogurt210
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
For someone who claims to be a die hard fan it is incredible how you don't even know the names of the young players you're advocating to be played over established veterans in a championship run.

Remember when Tony replaced Daniels out of no where, Where Daniels was on our team and knew the system for years and he was established.
There has been many instances where young guys stepped up and took the spotlight when given the chance, o don’t even go there.

May as well let Vaughn play over Tony since he is well established and a ”veteran” lol!
Your giving Pop way too much credit here, yes he was won us championships and I have nothing to say about that. BUT I am talking about this year alone, he has not been doing the spurs thing. He ‘s being way too cautious in my opinion, experimenting with people that have no skill and not giving young talent any shot at the team.Pop has developed a fetish for old guys these past couple of years just like his love for “old” whine. There was Claxton, Beno, Scola, Jackson etc. all great players he let go, because of Pop and the FO being cheap. Also the in-ability to replace the young guns/potential stars with equal skill. Instead we fill in those holes with mediocre players. It’s time to invest in the young blood, we cant keep relying on the big three. We need a supporting cast. Signing old guys every year isn’t giving our team a great foundation in the long run. Our prime years have passed, where Pop didn’t have to gamble much with trades and signings. Age is creeping up on this team. The system won’t last forever if we can’t find good replacements and invest our time now. I still don’t understand why many of the posters’ on here can’t see passed this. It’s reality people and sometimes the truth hurts. If a player gets injured , put him on the inactive list, don’t just sit him out or bench him and plug him in next game, hoping he got better. If Duncan is hurting, put him on the inactive list until playoffs, Leave Ginobili out till playoffs, no point in playing him a game here and there until playoffs, its just goes against pop’s way and inflicts a greater risk. Pop has not had consistency this year, at all. I know there has been injuries, but even through these injuries he cannot make a solid back-up lineup. “Mason, your going to play PG from now on” Wait Mason your going to start for the SG” Bonner come start for the center position” Udoka your inactive” Udoka I want you back, I miss your lips on my cock during half time” “Hariston ill give you a shot” “wait Hariston your too good and you can dunk right now , and I don’t wanna pay you extra cash”
“Hey Mensa-Bonsu looks like a solid player” “Wait, he’s also too athletic for us and young, he needs to age like my whine and become a veteran first before he comes to the team” “Bowen, this year I’m taking away your minutes , you have too many defensive awards. Udoka’s air-filled body should be able to do the same defensively as you” “Bowen you have been one of the anchors of our defense for years, this year I’m going to let you rot and rust on the bench”

Like I said, this is questionable for POP.
But almost everyone on here seems to be on his dick since he makes that cash to make his decisions, lol.
Coaches can lose their ability, just like players can. Mental stability.
It seems as if no one on here see’s the flaws, and is hoping our problems just magically disappear without proper action.
People question me on my loyalty with the spurs and consider me a newbie Spurs fan.
I’m just a fan who expects the team just to play with their hearts out on the court. They get paid to play they get paid to represent our great town of San Antonio. Same goes for the coach. I don’t like seeing my team like this, inconsistent and lack the defensive force, rely on jumpshots, blah, blah, blah. We all know this wont last.

So all in all, If everything goes back to normal with a solid line-up come playoff time. Then yes we are good. But as of now, there is no chemistry outside the big three/Ginobili-Oberto. You can’t expect a smooth transistion in the playoffs if our regular season has been inconsistent. Injures or not.

CIA Pop
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll be sure to take your uneducated n00b opinion into account when I make up my next game plan.

By the way, posting in bold only makes you look dumber. Pretty hard to do given your weak takes, poor spelling, and bad grammar.

And I like old wine. You like to "whine."

polandprzem
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
There were 209 yougurts before you?

Yogurt210
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I'll be sure to take your uneducated n00b opinion into account when I make up my next game plan.

By the way, posting in bold only makes you look dumber. Pretty hard to do given your weak takes, poor spelling, and bad grammar.

I spelled wine like that on purpose…haha
Uh oh, it’s the over-educated spell-checker/grammar fixer/l337 speaker forum master, lmao!
Give it a break kid, no one cares about fucking grammar on a forum. I know it makes you feel special when you try to correct people.
Go do something worth your time, something else that makes you feel special that actually matters. You superman retard, lol

Yogurt210
03-18-2009, 10:35 AM
There were 209 yougurts before you?

yes yes

just like there were 209 SaTowns before the current one.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Remember when Tony replaced Daniels out of no where, Where Daniels was on our team and knew the system for years and he was established.
There has been many instances where young guys stepped up and took the spotlight when given the chance, o don’t even go there.

May as well let Vaughn play over Tony since he is well established and a ”veteran” lol!
Your giving Pop way too much credit here, yes he was won us championships ...

If anything Pop fully deserves COY this season, he has done much better than any fan or pundit could have expected giving the cicumstances, but I'll let you get your knee jerk reactions over a regular season loss to a lesser team.Like that's never happened before in the history of Spurstalk, I've been around for years, mostly lurking because of the excessive trolling, and over this period of time there have been countless of overreactions like yours, some of them with more reason and facts to support them.

I'm not playing a better fan than thou game here so there's no need to get defensive. Just read some of the comments by knowledgeable posters such as FromWayDowntown, Timvp, etc. and you'll probably get to know the game and the Spurs better.

honestfool84
03-18-2009, 11:06 AM

i love it.

:tu

honestfool84
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
CRAP

have you stopped and considered that maybe pop knows more than you know about this game?

why don't you wait till the END of the seasons to criticize him, thou holy fan?

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Honestly - it's Pop's fault that the Spurs have had so many injuries this year. If only he had realized back in October the powerful forces of Malik Hairston and Pops Mensah-Bonsu, the Spurs would have made it through the season without any injuries and probably would not have even lost a game.

Instead, Pop has this quaint notion that he knows something about NBA basketball and his team suffers because of it. Geesh!

honestfool84
03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Honestly - it's Pop's fault that the Spurs have had so many injuries this year. If only he had realized back in October the powerful forces of Malik Hairston and Pops Mensah-Bonsu, the Spurs would have made it through the season without any injuries and probably would not have even lost a game.

Instead, Pop has this quaint notion that he knows something about NBA basketball and his team suffers because of it. Geesh!

:lol :lol :lol

Yogurt210
03-18-2009, 12:03 PM
If anything Pop fully deserves COY this season, he has done much better than any fan or pundit could have expected giving the cicumstances, but I'll let you get your knee jerk reactions over a regular season loss to a lesser team.Like that's never happened before in the history of Spurstalk, I've been around for years, mostly lurking because of the excessive trolling, and over this period of time there have been countless of overreactions like yours, some of them with more reason and facts to support them.

I'm not playing a better fan than thou game here so there's no need to get defensive. Just read some of the comments by knowledgeable posters such as FromWayDowntown, Timvp, etc. and you'll probably get to know the game and the Spurs better.

this is clearly not just ONE game, lol.
Im talking about the season as a whole.

If you think that we can get it done and win another :lobt2: playing like this, then that's your opinion. But don't be sad when we come up short.
Like I said, if anyone reads my post. This is not going to last. Even when we had our full line-up, we still were not together. I am speaking in long-term, and this is not over one game, lol. :toast

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
this is clearly not just ONE game, lol.
Im talking about the season as a whole.

If you think that we can get it done and win another :lobt2: playing like this, then that's your opinion. But don't be sad when we come up short.
Like I said, if anyone reads my post. This is not going to last. Even when we had our full line-up, we still were not together. I am speaking in long-term, and this is not over one game, lol. :toast

So, Pop's a failure if the Spurs don't win the title in '09?

29 teams are going to come up short; odds are, the Spurs will be one of them. I'm not sure that your criticisms of things like not playing Malik Hairston and not keeping Pops Mensah-Bonsu would have diminished those odds at all. In fact, doing what you propose might very well have cost the Spurs seeding and further increased the likelihood of not winning the title.

Beyond that, I think most of your criticisms of Popovich are pointless and ignore facts. Pop's rotations and personnel choices are guided, in my mind, by 3 extremely significant facts: (1) the Spurs aren't playing to build teams into the future -- they're playing to win now; (2) the Spurs are good enough to believe they'll face different challenges in trying to get through a rigorous western conference bracket -- having been caught with his pants down once (in 2006), Pop's preparing for as many possibilities as he can; and (3) unlike most seasons in the past, Pop's team has been absolutely riddled with injuries, including injuries to his 3 best players at varying points in time.

With all of those truths in mind, what else is it that you want Pop to have done? You want him to win now, but you want him to build for the future. You want him to play a set rotation, no matter the injuries. You want him to be ready to win a title, but do nothing to prepare his team to play in the various ways they'll have to play to win a title.

Yogurt210
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM

also, take nothing away from these individuals but what why do you mention FromWayDownTown and Timvp as the only people that are knowledgable? Brown-nose much? We are all fans here, entitled to our own opinions. So who gives a shit, talk shit about me all you want. So shoot down my post and every other poster who says something negative about the Spurs, just so you can look/feel cool.
Everyone knows that whoring forums and hopping on people’s dick, gets you far in life. Nothing is perfect, and I hate to break it to you peeps on here, but either is POP or the Spurs. You act like everything he does has a reason to it, or he’s acting like CIA POP. I come to see, that a lot of people here on these forums are blind.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
also, take nothing away from these individuals but what why do you mention FromWayDownTown and Timvp as the only people that are knowledgable? Brown-nose much? We are all fans here, entitled to our own opinions. So who gives a shit, talk shit about me all you want. So shoot down my post and every other poster who says something negative about the Spurs, just so you can look/feel cool.
Everyone knows that whoring forums and hopping on people’s dick, gets you far in life. Nothing is perfect, and I hate to break it to you peeps on here, but either is POP or the Spurs. You act like everything he does has a reason to it, or he’s acting like CIA POP. I come to see, that a lot of people here on these forums are blind.

Jeez! I never said they were the only knowledgeable people here. Are you familiar with this little reading comprehension thing? Whoring? Are you 15?

And damn right - I do think everything Pop does is for a reason. Duh. That doesn't mean he's faultless, nobody's claiming this.

Yogurt210
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
^im done with you. lol

superbigtime
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
besides Orlando, Milwaukee (:bang), and Cleveland (who we've only played once), we've beaten every playoff team from both conferences this season. Who else are we supposed to beat?

Who else???
Dallas -- we have lost to them twice. We have lost to Portland twice. We have lost to the Lakers twice. We have lost to Orlando twice. We have lost to Denver twice (granted, one where Pop sat half the team).

We gave away that New Orleans game in December then got our ass whipped by Orlando.

Losing to the Knicks AND Toronto? Hello.

We are NEVER supposed to lose to a team like the Thunder, a team with 6 years in the NBA between their starters.

The shitty game against Detroit.

We have eked out 4 last second wins...barely squeaked out a win against the Clips.

How bout the 19 point loss to Houston after Thanksgiving where tim was 6 of 18?

We haven't had many "quality losses." The game at Denver where Pop sat everyone comes to mind.

Agloco
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, if your going to shrug this kinda stuff off, and watch the spurs slowly lose it. Then hey , that’s you. Don’t expect much come playoff time. And its not just 1 game, it’s been an overall season. I am from SA Town born and raised, spurs fan since I was crawling, so I’m def. not a bandwagoner. No sir. When I see something wrong with my team and nothing is being done for 1 game or for a whole season, I will be sure to express it. That’s how real fans are. Up’s and downs, yes. A lot of those UPS could have easily been downs. I think this year was our worst rodeo road trip correct?

They went 5-3 in 2007........

That was a championship year correct?

I also don't see how Pop is failing as a coach this year. Take away the 2-5 start and you have a 43-17 record. That's right there with the best of them. Considering the injuries we've had and how hobbled we are now, I'd say Pop is doing a yeoman job.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
^im done with you. lol

You're good at being owned by everyone and not being able to recognize it. Way to go dude.

Agloco
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Apparently, you do......

Fortunately for the rest of us your opinions are of little consequence.

Duncan2177
03-18-2009, 01:52 PM
the only team we currently have no chance of beating in a 7 game series is the Lakers. Magic flounder come playoff time, and I don't trust the Cavs supporting cast come playoff time either.

If the spurs are 100% healthy we have a great chance beating the 3 teams you mentioned, Show some optimism please. :flag:

senorglory
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
1.) Bowen's skills have declined.
2.) Spurs offensive scheme looks for more offense to avoid those stretches of non-scoring that plagued the Spurs the past few seasons.
3.) Spurs season started with an inordinate number of injuries to key players, notably keeping out starters Parker and Manu from a good number of games early in the season, and depriving the Spurs of last years rotation of big men, Oberto and Thomas, for a good portion of the season.
4.) Spurs have added Mason, Hill, and Gooden this year, and developed Bonner into a first year starter. Spurs have also incorporated Udoka as a defensive stopper, and are potentially developing Hariston and/or Mahinmi for contributions down the road. The accumulated effect of these additions is both athleticism and youth.
5.) This Spurs team is deeper than many of the Spurs teams of years past.
6.) Spurs currently ranked first in Western Conference in points allowed (a reasonable measure of team defense?), and ranked second in point differential (a reasonable measure of team success?).
7.) Spurs made it to the Western Conference Finals last season, and despite the 4-1 loss, were not blown out of the water. Lost a close one, got blown out, blew the Lakers out, lost a close one, and lost the final game (handily, tis true). Not a performance that should trigger panic mode. A healthy Manu and that series looks dramatically different.
8.) Spurs record... I won't even bother to recite, everyone here should have at least a vague understanding of their consistent high level of performance during Pop's association with the team: lots of 50+ seasons, lots of playoff appearances, lots of WCF, lots of rings... and lots of love. It's a great ball club.

Agloco
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
1.) Bowen's minutes have declined.
2.) Spurs offensive scheme looks for more offense to avoid those stretches of non-scoring that plagued the Spurs the past few seasons.
3.) Spurs season started with an inordinate number of injuries to key players, notably keeping out starters Parker and Manu from a good number of games early in the season, and depriving the Spurs of last years rotation of big men, Oberto and Thomas, for a good portion of the season.
4.) Spurs have added Mason, Hill, and Gooden this year, and developed Bonner into a first year starter. Spurs have also incorporated Udoka as a defensive stopper, and are potentially developing Hariston and/or Mahinmi for contributions down the road. The accumulated effect of these additions is both athleticism and youth.
5.) This Spurs team is deeper than many of the Spurs teams of years past.
6.) Spurs currently ranked first in Western Conference in points allowed (a reasonable measure of team defense?), and ranked second in point differential (a reasonable measure of team success?).
7.) Spurs made it to the Western Conference Finals last season, and despite the 4-1 loss, were not blown out of the water. Lost a close one, got blown out, blew the Lakers out, lost a close one, and last the final game (handily, tis true). Not a performance that should trigger panic mode. A healthy Manu and proper officiating and that series looks dramatically different.
8.) Spurs record... I won't even bother to recite, everyone here should have at least a vague understanding of their consistent high level of performance during Pop's association with the team: lots of 50+ seasons, lots of playoff appearances, lots of WCF, lots of rings... and lots of love. It's a great ball club.

Fixed....

Other than that, I agree.

Summers
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I spelled wine like that on purpose…haha
Uh oh, it’s the over-educated spell-checker/grammar fixer/l337 speaker forum master, lmao!
Give it a break kid, no one cares about fucking grammar on a forum. I know it makes you feel special when you try to correct people.
Go do something worth your time, something else that makes you feel special that actually matters. You superman retard, lol

Well, some of us do, but don't go around correcting people. Bad writing is like bad hygiene. It doesn't make you wrong, but it's awfully distracting.

manufor3
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
louis?

Morg1411
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, some of us do, but don't go around correcting people. Bad writing is like bad hygiene. It doesn't make you wrong, but it's awfully distracting.

Agreed. Bad writing is also awfully discrediting. You could make the most valid argument in the world, but if your grammar and spelling abilities are on par with those of a brain-addled 9-year-old, few are going to take your posts seriously.

*Edit: I noted a spelling error in my post, and corrected it. Novel, eh?

Yogurt210
03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
As I was saying...this hasnt been over a span of 1 game people, lol...back to back loses ftw.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM

As far as win/loss ratio it wasn't the worst..

In terms of fostering chemistry, developing that Us vs the world mentality, since you only have your mates in hostile territory to rely on, which gives the team that edge, wolfpack mentality.. it was not productive as its been in the past. And for this roster that's intergrating new pieces that sort of road trip development would have been valuable.

The Spurs flew back home 2-3 times and Pop afterwards was bothered and disappointed by the disjointed nature of this years RRT.

to21
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Tinkering with the lineup so late in the season, trying experiments at backup point guard, his man-love for Fin, and weird rotations are all that concern me. Other than that, the guy's still has my vote....:lol

BTW, I cringe when I hear the words "CIA Pop", wasn't it the CIA who said Iraq had WPD....just saying.

CIA Pop
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
BTW, I cringe when I hear the words "CIA Pop", wasn't it the CIA who said Iraq had WPD....just saying.

Don't get my CIA confused with those fuckups in the White House (either the previous set or the current set).

to21
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't get my CIA confused with those fuckups in the White House (either the previous set or the current set).:lol no disrespect to ur handle.:lol

manubili
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah right. Pop doesn't like athletism. That's why he trusts players like Parker and Manu, widely known beacause of being stiff and slow. :hat

Yogurt210
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
yup Im brining this post back, since everyone seems to realize now, hahahaha.

iamdmann
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Oklahoma city thunder when we play them a week after they come back from 20 down. Two days after tony goes on abc and says he doesn't get motivated for the crap teams that aren't going anywhere. And then barely shows up. It doesn't matter how many points tony scores. The numbers that matter are in two columns. One is labeled W and one is labelled L

ManuTastic
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
So, this guy was right. It's now clear Pop has been f'ing up this team. Primarily by benching Bowen and Hill in favor of Finley and Udoka, and by screwing with what was working: Mason as the starting SG AND NOT backup PG. :depressed

Yogurt210
04-05-2009, 01:20 PM
POP SUCKS. what now people?

redskinfan
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
POP SUCKS. what now people?

I agree yogurt, Pop is too smart for his own good, and all these ass clowns who defend every move by the professor( he is looking like Adelman more and more) can go and f**k t themselves.

Yogurt210
04-05-2009, 02:18 PM
this season is done.
Time for a change next season.

jdev82
04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
ginobili shouldnt start.
parker/hill/vaughn
mason/manu/
bowen/finley/hariston/
bonner/gooden/mensah-bonsu
timmy/thomas/oberto

CUT UDOKA he played for the contract last year, got it ,and did nothing when he got paid.