PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Will Be The 2009 Champs: The Unwritten Reasons Revealed

hater
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140479-spurs-will-be-the-2009-champs-the-unwritten-reasons-revealed/

Spurs Will Be The 2009 Champs: The Unwritten Reasons Revealed

If we are going to base my fearless forecast on statistics and probabilities, then I would rather not write.

Scientifically, the San Antonio Spurs don't have much of a chance to win it all in 2009, considering the presence of the almighty Los Angeles Lakers, the defending champions Boston Celtics and the now feared Cleveland Cavaliers.

Kobe and his golden-yellow army in L.A. are snatching victories here and there.

Boston's big three are still as dominant as ever.

Meanwhile, LeBron James and his Cavaliers are constantly piercing their way to the top.

Even Dwight Howard and his fellow sorcerers in Orlando magically catapulted their team to an overall fourth place in the entire league.

So, where do the Spurs stand at the moment? A far second from the L.A. Lakers in the Western Conference and fifth in the entire NBA.

Why then, am I insisting that the Spurs will still bring home the bacon despite being nowhere near Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and the Lakers?

The answer is something I personally call an "Analytical Gambler's Superstition"

This is something experts won't believe, something fans don't care about.

An unwritten reason indeed. It is a superstition, but based on factual analysis.

Scrutinizing 2004, 2006, and 2008 Spurs

Observe how the Spurs lost in even numbered NBA seasons.

In 2004, there was the Derek Fisher factor.

In Game Five of their best of seven series, Fisher made a miraculous game winning shot with barely 0.4 seconds remaining to give the Lakers a 3-2 series lead and they eventually sealed the deal in Game Six.

By the start of Game Six, the Spurs were already emotionally drained from the previous game's outcome.

Extremely bad luck for the Spurs, and extremely good luck for the opposing team.

In 2006, there was the Manu Ginobili foul factor.

In Game Seven of the semis between the Spurs and the Mavs, the Spurs were leading by two in the closing seconds when Ginobili committed the worst foul of his life.

He fouled Dirk Nowitzki, the Mav's deadliest shooter, as he was attempting a lay up. The game went into overtime and the Spurs lost.

Again, extremely bad luck for the Spurs and extremely good luck for the opponent.

In 2008, there was the delayed airplane flight factor.

Remember how the Spurs won a hard-fought seventh game against New Orleans during the semis of last season?

They were supposed to immediately go to L.A. to square off against the Lakers. What happened next was the most unfortunate airplane delay that made San Antonio's players sleep in the plane.

Needless to say, the players weren't able to sleep well as they are used to sleeping in lavish hotel rooms and not in an airplane.

As a result, they squandered a 20-point lead to the Lakers in the first game as they were clearly exhausted in the second half, probably because of lack of sleep.

Again and again, extremely bad luck for the Spurs and extremely good luck for their rivals.

Examining 2003, 2005, and 2007 Spurs

Now, lets take a peek at the odd numbered NBA seasons wherein the Spurs won the title.

In 2003, the most dominant players were Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. They were fresh from accomplishing their three peat and were poised to add another trophy to their collection.

Not this time, dynamic duo. This is an odd numbered year. The Spurs will beat you black and blue.

Eventually, the Spurs did beat the Lakers and eventually claimed the Larry O' Brien trophy.

Bad luck for the Lakers, great luck for the Spurs.

Moving forward to 2005, the Spurs were up against the seemingly impenetrable Detroit Pistons who were considered the league's best defensive team that year.

When it is written by fate, no amount of defense could stop things from happening. Thus, the Spurs went on to win the championship via a seventh-game win over Detroit.

Bad luck for Detroit, great luck for the Spurs.

We need not mention 2007 here. That year was probably the luckiest for the Spurs as they swept the finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Despite LeBron James's presence, it was still bad luck for Cleveland and great luck for the Spurs.

What about 2009?

Consider that the core of the Spurs team since 2003 are still in San Antonio this year.

Age factor? Yes, but look at Duncan, Parker and Ginobili's output this season before you judge. Plus,the star players of opposing teams are getting old as well.

Opponent factor? Yes, but the Spurs have faced seemingly insurmountable odds before in 2003, yet won it anyway.

Therefore, I reiterate my claim based on my "Analytical Gambler's Superstition" that the San Antonio Spurs will be this year's NBA champions.

CubanMustGo
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Meh. An awful long way of saying "SA will win because it's an odd year."

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Even Duncan says it takes some Luck to win a Championship.

Lets see if we get lucky again.

hater
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
goddammit the Spurs were winning by 3 vs mavs. Then Manu's fault gave Dirk 3pt play

why he had to remind us

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
2009 NBA Champions San Antonio Spurs

has a nice ring to it....

Spursfan092120
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Great read...really long to say one thing, but I always get excited about odd years... :)

hater
03-17-2009, 04:45 PM
IMO the even years were terrible bad luck. But the odd years were mostly the absense of bad luck and Spurs being superior and wanting it more than anyone else.

Spurs could easily be 6 time champions right now if not for the bad luck

crc21209
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
99', 03', 05', 07' and soon hopefully....09'? It would be 10 years since the Spurs won #1. Wouldnt it be great if 10 years later they captured #5? :downspin: :flag:

mabrignani
03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
yeah man, i remember that shit like it was yesterday...too bad the mavs suck and couldnt do anything with that gift

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
I will NEVER forgive Manu for that... NEVER!:ihit

Epic series with an Epic ending :(

kace
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
honestly, i really don't see any good luck for the spurs when we won in your arguments. you could have brought the amare/diaw suspensions in 2007 to make your point.

but indeed, you can always find good and bad luck in almost each year, win or lose.

kace
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
goddammit the Spurs were winning by 3 vs mavs. Then Manu's fault gave Dirk 3pt play

why he had to remind us

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

yeah man, i remember that shit like it was yesterday...too bad the mavs suck and couldnt do anything with that gift

I will NEVER forgive Manu for that... NEVER!:ihit

Epic series with an Epic ending :(

[MODE MANU'S GROUPIES ON]

if it wasn't for manu, there wouldn't even have been a game 7. you're just haters

[MODE MANU'S GROUPIES OFF]

hey, i've just been bashed for having said in another thread that these 06 PO were disappointing for manu because of this fault, so i guess you deserve the same treatment here.

mabrignani
03-17-2009, 05:09 PM

if it wasn't for manu, there wouldn't even have been a game 7. you're just haters

hey, i've just been bashed for having said in another thread that these 06 PO were disappointing for manu because of this fault, so i guess you deserve the same treatment here.

i dont remember bashing manu....

nkdlunch
03-17-2009, 05:13 PM

settle down. none were bashing Manu

aka_USAPA
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
The NBA should just crown the Spurs champs and avoid risking its players injuries. No matter that the Spurs are old. No matter that they have been figured out. No matter the injuries. No matter that they have better competition. They will win. Book it. Afterall, it is an odd year. :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

tlongII
03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
That was probably one of the worst pieces of drivel I've ever read.

kace
03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
i dont remember bashing manu....

settle down. none were bashing Manu

i definitely know you weren't. but just saying anything bad, including the 06 foul, about him can get you some harsh treatment by some of his fans. that's what i meant because i experienced it.

NRHector
03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
imo i wouldn't say it was luck, we keep saying the foul of manu on dirk , what about the foul of fisher on barry last year and was not call, can we say is all luck?

lefty
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM

Remember how the Spurs won a hard-fought seventh game against New Orleans during the semis of last season?

They were supposed to immediately go to L.A. to square off against the Lakers. What happened next was the most unfortunate airplane delay that made San Antonio's players sleep in the plane.

Needless to say, the players weren't able to sleep well as they are used to sleeping in lavish hotel rooms and not in an airplane.

As a result, they squandered a 20-point lead to the Lakers in the first game as they were clearly exhausted in the second half, probably because of lack of sleep.

Again and again, extremely bad luck for the Spurs and extremely good luck for their rivals.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang :bang

Fuck Stern !!!!!!

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Fuck Stern !!!!!!

SIR CHARLES!
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Fuck Stern !!!!!!

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/cry-baby-girl-face.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
03-17-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/cry-baby-girl-face.jpg

Sounds like Spurs fans already have their excuses lined up for when LA bounces them out yet again.:rollin

SIR CHARLES!
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/19/laker_3_26_36_am.jpg

TD=HOF
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
No one has noticed the biggest reason of why we will win this year? We have a much better supporting cast! With Mason & Gooden, along with Bonner knocking down shots, there should be no reason (barring injury of course), that we don't win it all this year.

SIR CHARLES!
03-17-2009, 06:12 PM
No one has noticed the biggest reason of why we will win this year? We have a much better supporting cast! With Mason & Gooden, along with Bonner knocking down shots, there should be no reason (barring injury of course), that we don't win it all this year.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/12/633488339718879538-defeat.jpg

BushDynasty
03-17-2009, 06:27 PM

Funny thing there, fella, it's the unnerdog that wins. You sayin' the Baiters are the unnerdog?

Horse
03-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Go Spurs Go! But I gotta say one more time, I watched the dirk three point play a thousand times and Manu did not foul him. Stern knew there was no way miami was beating us, He wanted wade and that fat piece of shit to win and they did, Although shaq did little to help.

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Go Spurs Go! But I gotta say one more time, I watched the dirk three point play a thousand times and Manu did not foul him. Stern knew there was no way miami was beating us, He wanted wade and that fat piece of shit to win and they did, Although shaq did little to help.

It sure didn't look like a foul to me either.

TMTTRIO
03-18-2009, 01:00 AM
I wished Manu never hit that three pointer in the first place that way the loss would've been better to take.

Spork KIller
03-18-2009, 01:23 AM
The spurms ain't winning the title in 2009 and beyond...even the most retarded spurm fan knows that...

Nice run every other season but it's over for good!

Morg1411
03-18-2009, 01:28 AM
The spurms ain't winning the title in 2009 and beyond...even the most retarded spurm fan knows that...

Nice run every other season but it's over for good!

Spoken like a true Suns fan...you know all about things being "over for good".

phyzik
03-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Spurs have a punchers chance this year.

If Rocky can do it, so can we.

phyzik
03-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Spoken like a true Suns fan...you know all about things being "over for good".

You need to realize this guy is a Rockets fan who has pretended to be a Hornets fan, a Suns fan, and now a lakers fan. The dude is a douche.

he actually takes the time, after being IP banned, to go through a proxy website so he can post his hate for the Spurs.

Taking that ammount of time for your hate for a basketball team onto the fucking INTERNET = loser in everything life has to offer.

I would place a 32/1 bet that he lives with his parents and still probably come out on top.

Spork KIller
03-18-2009, 01:38 AM
You need to realize this guy is a Rockets fan who has pretended to be a Hornets fan, a Suns fan, and now a lakers fan. The dude is a douche.

he actually takes the time, after being IP banned, to go through a proxy website so he can post his hate for the Spurs.

Taking that ammount of time for your hate for a basketball team onto the fucking INTERNET = loser in everything life has to offer.

BS

hehehe

I'm a AT&T Internet customer...they don't have proxies...Kori is full of it...

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 01:39 AM
BS

hehehe

I'm a AT&T Internet customer...they don't have proxies...Kori is full of it...
http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

Spork KIller
03-18-2009, 01:40 AM
http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

How cute!

AussieFanKurt
03-18-2009, 01:55 AM
The NBA should just crown the Spurs champs and avoid risking its players injuries. No matter that the Spurs are old. No matter that they have been figured out. No matter the injuries. No matter that they have better competition. They will win. Book it. Afterall, it is an odd year. :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

wow its not that funny

Manufan909
03-18-2009, 02:09 AM

That's the first bad sarcastic thing I've seen... EVER. They both look like losers. If Portland and Atlanta make the Finals, that will be them.:lol

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Old..yeah..we haven't heard that one before...for the past 10 years... :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
03-18-2009, 02:40 AM
our main bad luck is that Kobe doesn't play in the East..you know, because Kobe ALWAYS chokes in the finals and all, no matter the opponent..ALWAYS..

Baseline
03-18-2009, 03:26 AM

Agreed. But what nobody ever mentions is that on the next play (the last play of regulation), Duncan got whacked across the arm on a putback attempt.

No call. That would hve put Duncan on the line with one second left and the score tied.

How shocking that Tim didn't get that call.

And regardig Fisher's shot, it wasn't a "lucky" shot. It was a shot that never should have counted. It was the 2.0 full second 0.4 second shot.

Another poster mentioned it somewhere, but Fisher's shot is not only the ugliest jumper in the league, he wraps the ball so far behind his head he looks like a contortionist. It is a physical impossibility to do as many actions as he did within 0.4 seconds (catch, plant both feet, turn, get the ball behind his head, and then shoot). Those are five different actions. And he did them all within 0.4 seconds. Wow, he must be the fastest guard in the history of the league.

Well, he's not - in fact he's probably the slowest. But wait...he's a Laker.

If that shot is made by a Spur, there is no way on this earth that it is allowed to stand.

As for 2008 - the plane thing was awful. Manu's injury was bad luck. But the Barry no call literally cost us a game. If we win that game, it's 2-2 going back to LA, not 3-1. But was I shocked about that call? At first, yes. But then I realized what league we're playing in, and what team we're playing. And then it all made sense.

spurspokesman
03-18-2009, 07:11 AM
[quote=SIR CHARLES!;3205195].
http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/19/laker_3_26_36_am.jpg[/quote

You guys are A beatable team and I wouldn't be surprised if you were upset by an inferior team. Hope your bench hardens up come po time:lol

fleggy2k2
03-18-2009, 09:35 AM
http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/19/laker_3_26_36_am.jpg

"yeah man, timmy's dick was this huge when i sucked it in '03"

Duncan74
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
It would be nice to get a win this year!!

MateoNeygro
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
That was probably one of the worst pieces of drivel I've ever read.

It was really really bad, I couldn't even read the whole thing. But nonetheless GO SPURS GO.

urunobili
03-18-2009, 11:21 AM
plz bkb gods send utah to the 8th seed... :pray

Thomas82
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Agreed. But what nobody ever mentions is that on the next play (the last play of regulation), Duncan got whacked across the arm on a putback attempt.

No call. That would hve put Duncan on the line with one second left and the score tied.

How shocking that Tim didn't get that call.

And regardig Fisher's shot, it wasn't a "lucky" shot. It was a shot that never should have counted. It was the 2.0 full second 0.4 second shot.

Another poster mentioned it somewhere, but Fisher's shot is not only the ugliest jumper in the league, he wraps the ball so far behind his head he looks like a contortionist. It is a physical impossibility to do as many actions as he did within 0.4 seconds (catch, plant both feet, turn, get the ball behind his head, and then shoot). Those are five different actions. And he did them all within 0.4 seconds. Wow, he must be the fastest guard in the history of the league.

Well, he's not - in fact he's probably the slowest. But wait...he's a Laker.

If that shot is made by a Spur, there is no way on this earth that it is allowed to stand.

As for 2008 - the plane thing was awful. Manu's injury was bad luck. But the Barry no call literally cost us a game. If we win that game, it's 2-2 going back to LA, not 3-1. But was I shocked about that call? At first, yes. But then I realized what league we're playing in, and what team we're playing. And then it all made sense.

Good post!!