PDA

View Full Version : Spurs rest Duncan against Timberwolves

cnyc3
03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
not sure if it's been posted already

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuzhcpKOppggLITqMOrSsMi8vLYF?slug=ap-spurs-duncanout&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Spurs forward Tim Duncan sat out Tuesday night’s game against Minnesota in a move aimed at keeping the All-Star fresh for the playoffs.

Coming off a loss Monday night at Oklahoma City, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he wanted to limit the number of back-to-back games Duncan plays down the stretch.

Duncan missed three games in late February with a right quad injury. His scoring average of 15.1 points in the nine games since coming back is about five points below his average before the injury.

The Spurs have three more back-to-backs the rest of the season. Popovich suggested that doesn’t mean Duncan will sit out a game in each of those sets.

benefactor
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang
:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss

duncan228
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Duncan to sit out Spurs-Wolves (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/03/duncan-to-sit-o.html)
By Mike Monroe

Acknowledging some concern about Tim Duncan's sore knees, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich decided to have his All-Star power forward sit out Tuesday's game at the AT&T Center against the Minnesota Timberwolves, the second game of a set of back-to-back games.

"Timmy will sit tonight in the back-to back," Popovich said. "He doesn't love it, but I just think it's important for him to be fresh and healthy for the end of the season. I think one way to do it is to limit the number of back-to-backs you play in down the stretch. That's what I'm doing."

Duncan sat out three games, from Feb. 24-27, with tendonosis in his right quadriceps. He returned for the Spurs' March 1 game at Portland, and had not missed a game since.

Popovich said Duncan's knees have bothered him at various times this season, but stressed that Duncan would have preferred to suit up for Tuesday's game.

"From time to time, Timmy's knees will bother him and it will affect his lay to some degree," Popovich said. "For the most part, he's had to deal with that more than people would know, and done a great job with always being there for us. I'm just forcing him to sit."

Spursfan092120
03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
We'll be fine...More time for Gooden.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm happy with the move. Still doesn't give SA an excuse to lay an egg tonight. If anything we should see Gooden play more minutes than ever.

Mugen
03-17-2009, 07:22 PM
good move, hopefully we respond well tonight.

benefactor
03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
good move, hopefully we respond well tonight.
I hope so. It leaves a bitter taste to lose Duncan in a game that we chose to lose. Hopefully his teammates feel the same.

NBAdime
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Tim deserves a break for this game! Btw: Am I the only person that forgets the NBA during march madness and does not watch a game until after?

Bukefal
03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
One of the best decisions recently!!!

duncan228
We're going to see this from here out. I hope it will serve what Pop wants it to, keeping Duncan as fresh as possible for the Playoffs.

I'm glad Pop made it clear that Duncan has been dealing with this, "more than people would know." If I read one more post about Duncan being bored, lazy, or not caring, I think I'll explode.

timvp
Can't complain about the move. Duncan appears to be at about 75-80%. Without him near 100%, the Spurs can kiss their championship hopes goodbye. Heck, they can kiss their second round hopes goodbye.

And :rolleyes @ those who said Duncan has been "not focused", "soft", "loafing" or whatever.

mabrignani
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
great move, i cant wait to see gooden go off

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Can't complain about the move. Duncan appears to be at about 75-80%. Without him near 100%, the Spurs can kiss their championship hopes goodbye. Heck, they can kiss their second round hopes goodbye.

And :rolleyes @ those who said Duncan has been "not focused", "soft", "loafing" or whatever.

The Spurs have won a championship with Duncan not at 100% before and i know they can do it again.

The emergance of Parker as a Superstar and the return of SUPERMANu would cover up for a 85% Duncan. Also add the fact that the Spurs have another low post option in Gooden.

timvp
03-17-2009, 07:32 PM
The Spurs have won a championship with Duncan not at 100% before and i know they can do it again.Duncan is much more injured now than he was in 2005.

Also add the fact that the Spurs have another low post option in Gooden.:lol @ Gooden making up for an injured Duncan.

ducks
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM

but but but they have to have manu not duncan just ask the media and pop

mVp
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Damn... We should’ve won last night.

Good move though.

Spurs Brazil
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
TD is really hurt now :depressed

I hope he can be fine in the playoffs

duncan228
03-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Duncan is much more injured now than he was in 2005.

I agree. And I think the knees are harder to 'play through' than the ankles were.

Brazil
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm fine with Pop decision but now it's going to be a tough tough game tonite.

Libri
03-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Tim didn't look good yesterday. He was walking gingerly. You could notice the discomfort.

alchemist
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Tim didn't look good yesterday. He was walking gingerly. You could notice the discomfort.
actually Tim was great yesterday, until the 2nd quarter when everyone decided to suck. I see him being back near 95% towards the end of the season.

xtremesteven33
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Duncan is much more injured now than he was in 2005.
:lol @ Gooden making up for an injured Duncan.

Of course Gooden cant fill the shoes of Duncan. Thats not what i was implying. Another low post option was all i said. Something Duncan hasnt had before.

As far as Duncan being more injured. Yea i would agree but lets see how he looks come playoff time.

KenGee21
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
What's even more troubling is that Gooden's been dealing with nagging injuries as well, so there's no telling how he's going to hold up over the long run. If he's putting ice bags on his groin after 15 minutes of PT, then how he going to manage playing 30+, if needed.

Injuries have definitely been the recurring theme of this season, and it doesn't look like its going to change going into the playoffs.

Ice009
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Why do you think I said he's been our most consistent player this season. It's obvious to most Duncan fans that he is not 100%. When he was feeling better he was dominating. I still question him when he stops to complain rather than get back on defense like the last game, but Tim's effort is pretty tough to question.

Technique
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm very happy with this decision. Very tactical and aims for the bigger picture.

Harry Callahan
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
It's the right move, but I just wonder how effective this roster will be in April, because these injuries to Manu and Tim are nagging, lingering things. The Spurs will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat big time to have a long playoff run this year, I'm afraid.

Timmy has been really good this year, but if you are not healthy in April and May, it may go for nought. Not good.

Malice
03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Way to screw my fantasy team god damnit!!!

Im kidding of course....

Still its horse crap!

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Surprisingly, Drew Gooden has only played 5 minutes tonight.

Technique
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah, 0 points too. Not sure where this is headed.

Spurs Brazil
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Surprisingly, Drew Gooden has only played 5 minutes tonight.

Oberto is playing very well but I'd like to see more Gooden

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Me too, but I think he's done for the night.

Brazil
03-17-2009, 09:58 PM

one bemol is the TOs 4 in 18 min !

raspsa
03-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Its ironic that Timmy is having knee problems at this point in the season. he worked so hard in the off-season flipping tires, runningin the sand, etc. to get into the greatest shape he's been in in years but apparently all that wear and tear just contributed to the breakdown he's going thru now. What's a guy to do?

Thomas82
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Its ironic that Timmy is having knee problems at this point in the season. he worked so hard in the off-season flipping tires, runningin the sand, etc. to get into the greatest shape he's been in in years but apparently all that wear and tear just contributed to the breakdown he's going thru now. What's a guy to do?

I hope that when he finally can rest this summer, this will be the end of those knee problems, or atleast they'll be kept to a minimum the rest of his career.

SPURS21
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
At least he will be well rested for Boston... once again :flag:

Spursmania
03-17-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm almost in denial about how Timmy has looked the last several games. Watching him with those knee pads and laboring to run. Not a lot of quick movement. Must be harder on him than any of us fans. I'm glad Pop rested him. The warrior needs a rest. I only hope it helps. We need the nuns that always pray for the Spurs to pray for Duncan and Manu now.

duncan228
03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
From the post game recap.

One night after losing at Oklahoma City to one lottery-bound team, the Spurs rested Duncan against another. Duncan wanted to play, but coach Gregg Popovich said he wanted Duncan healthy for the playoffs more.

Duncan sat for precautionary reasons. But skipping another game or two down the road during back-to-backs to lessen the wear on his occasionally troubled knees may not be far-fetched.

Popovich didn't say he would bench Duncan again during the three remaining back-to-backs, but acknowledged doing so helps keeps his star healthy. Duncan missed three games at the end of February with a right quad injury.

Popovich said Duncan's occasional knee trouble is something he's had to deal with "more than people would know.'' Duncan's official diagnosis last month was right quad tendonosis.

"He doesn't love (sitting out), but it's important for him to be fresh and healthy at the end of the season,'' Popovich said.

Duncan, 32, hasn't quite been himself since returning from the injury. His 20.7 scoring average led the Spurs before his sore knee first forced him out Feb. 24 against Dallas, and he's averaged 15.1 points since coming back March 1.

Josepatches_
03-18-2009, 04:24 AM
The Spurs have won a championship with Duncan not at 100% before and i know they can do it again.

The emergance of Parker as a Superstar and the return of SUPERMANu would cover up for a 85% Duncan. Also add the fact that the Spurs have another low post option in Gooden.

No TD = No ring.

Right now TD is at 75% or less.No way.
TP is playing great but he's not good enough to lead this team to the championship.TD is the core of the team.Manu? He was a lot of time out this year.He will need time.

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Sit Timmy for half of back to backs the rest of the way. Absolutely no reason not to.