PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Timberwolves Game)

duncan228
03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_090317.html)

Gregg Popovich

On the game - “It was a good win in a back-to-back situation. Tony (Parker) did a great job running the show. A lot of people stepped up in Tim’s (Duncan) absence. We were focused and played consistently for 48 minutes.”

On Roger Mason - “He caught a little fire in the second half. We went to him and helped us get the lead.”

On Kurt Thomas - “He’s been great all season, not just tonight. He’s done everything really well. He’s having a very good season.”

On Minnesota’s Kevin Love - “He’s a great warrior. He’s a tough kid that likes to play basketball.”

Kurt Thomas

On the game - On playing without Tim Duncan in the lineup: “We had to be able to make the best of it. Fabby (Fabricio Oberto) came in and played outstanding and Drew (Gooden) came in and played really good.”

On which he’s more proud of: double-figure rebounds or having five assists - “I’ll take the five assists. I don’t get credit for my passes so definitely the five assists.”

On the next match up against the Boston Celtics - “They’re the champions. They’re coming in here a little banged up with injuries but we can take any nights off. They’re a great team and we’re going to come out and do whatever we can to try and get them.”

Roger Mason Jr.

On the game - ““It was a rough start but we just kept plugging away. We were desperate tonight.”

On the strategy of resting Tim Duncan during back-to-back games - “I’m not smart enough to decide what he needs to do. Coach Pop (Gregg Popovich) and those guys have a good feel on what Tim should be doing so we roll with it.”

On the difference in his play in the second half - “I just started feeling better and I got a couple good looks. Early on I knew I needed to be a little bit more aggressive because Tim (Duncan) was out so I might have been pressing a little bit. Things came a little bit easier in the third and fourth quarters.”

On if it was frustrating how Minnesota kept staying in the game - “We knew they’d do that. They’re a young team and they play hard. We saw what could happen last night so tonight we just really wanted to continue to play no matter what runs they made.”

Timberwolves Head Coach Kevin McHale Kevin McHale

On the game - “We didn’t win. We made shots, we missed shots tonight. I think we miss some important offensive rebounds. I’m not upset about anything tonight because we played well. The bottom line is the Spurs won the game.”

Kevin Love

On the game - "With Duncan and Ginobili both out we really had a chance to take advantage. We even had a lead early and we let the refs get in our head a little. It always tough when you lose but to do it, really with three or four of their top guys out, that hurts. With them out we really could have set a tone from the beginning and instead we ended up playing from behind.”

“I really felt good out there, particularly in the second half. I really felt like a picked up a good rhythm. I even tried to extend my range a little bit, while at the same time staying physical and alive on the boards.”

Mike Miller

On the game - “You try not to let that affect your mindset, the fact that Duncan is not in the game. But he’s a MVP and multi-time all-star. You have to play just as aggressive as always because we knew they were going to play just as hard. The Spurs are always going to be prepared with Pop over there.”

“We competed; we just didn’t get over the top. We knew a fight was coming. They would make a run, and then we would have to respond. We would have to answer with a run of our own, and we did that. We just never got over the hump.”

timvp
03-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Roger Mason, Jr. seems to have learned a lot from Pop :)

SpursFan0728
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I think you repeated pop's speech in mason's part

duncan228
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
:lol I was over there trying to figure it out. I edited him out until they fix it.

Edit: spursdotcom, if you wander in here it's still not fixed. (11:49pm SA time).

spursdotcom
03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Sorry about that - http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_090317.html

Video is here - http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/090317.html

:toast

duncan228
03-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks. :)

Blackjack
03-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Kurt Thomas

On the next match up against the Boston Celtics - “They’re the champions. They’re coming in here a little banged up with injuries but we can't take any nights off. They’re a great team and we’re going to come out and do whatever we can to try and get them.”

That made me laugh.

Either Pop has these guys completely brainwashed (with the Spurs having to play without Manu and/or a hobbled Tim) or Kurt's one cocky sonbitch.:lol

lurker23
03-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Timberwolves Head Coach Kevin McHale Kevin McHale

On the game - “We didn’t win. We made shots, we missed shots tonight....The bottom line is the Spurs won the game.”

Was McHale in a crappy mood or what? That has got to be one of the least insightful quotes I've ever read. I could have looked at the final score and told you that.

Chieflion
03-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Was McHale in a crappy mood or what? That has got to be one of the least insightful quotes I've ever read. I could have looked at the final score and told you that.
Kevin McHale gave a classic Spursdynasty reply.

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 07:20 AM
I like how even though Minnesota kept pushing back we kept our intensity all four quarters and closed them out. Not every guy played great the whole game, but when we needed something in the second quarter Udoka carried the offense (can't believe I just wrote that) and when we needed something in the third Mason stepped up and etc. etc.

I especially loved late in the game that to keep the game in check and keep Minnesota from going on runs and us from going into droughts, people kept attacking the rim and either finishing or getting to the line for easy points. That is how we've got to play when our jumpers aren't falling. Otherwise we go on those dreadful scoring droughts.

wijayas
03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Roger Mason Jr.
On the strategy of resting Tim Duncan during back-to-back games - “I’m not smart enough to decide what he needs to do. Coach Pop (Gregg Popovich) and those guys have a good feel on what Tim should be doing so we roll with it.”

RMJ humility fits well with the down-to-earth Spurs. Too bad Pop Mensah was too cocky for his good showing in one game for the Spurs.