PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Popovich Opts To Sit, Rest Duncan

duncan228
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Popovich opts to sit, rest Duncan (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_opts_to_sit_rest_Duncan.html)
Mike Monroe

Acknowledging some concern about Tim Duncan's play since the Spurs All-Star missed three games with a sore right knee, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich forced his two-time Most Valuable Player to skip Tuesday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves at AT&T Center.

“He doesn't love it,” Popovich said about an hour before tipoff of the Spurs' 93-86 victory, “but I just think it's important for him to be fresh and healthy for the end of the season. I think one way to do it is to limit the number of back-to-backs you play in down the stretch. That's what I'm doing.”

Kurt Thomas started in Duncan's power forward slot and turned in a solid game, getting 10 points, 10 rebounds and six assists.

The Spurs only have two sets of back-to-back games remaining this season, March 24-25 (vs. Golden State, at home, and in Atlanta) and April 7-8 (in Oklahoma City and at home, vs. Portland). Popovich did not commit to holding Duncan out of one game in those sets, saying he would weigh each of them as it approached.

Asked if he was concerned that Duncan's inconsistent play since returning from his three games out with tendonosis indicated ongoing knee problems, Popovich said, “it's gone through my head.

“From time to time, Timmy's knees will bother him and it will affect his play to some degree. For the most part, he's had to deal with that more than people would know, and done a great job with always being there for us. I'm just forcing him to sit.”

Amazed admiration: Timberwolves coach Kevin McHale, forced by team owner Glen Taylor to take over on the bench after he fired Randy Wittman 19 games into the season, said he can't imagine coaching 1,000 games in the NBA, a milestone Popovich reached in Monday's game at Oklahoma City.

“I can't imagine coaching 100,” McHale said.

“I think Pop is one of the best coaches in our league, and has been for a long, long time. Same thing with Jerry (Sloan). Those guys get a lot out of their teams. Their guys perform for them.

“They've found the blend of what you've got to find in our league: The players have got to know you care about them, but every once in a while you've got to do things that are going to help them that they don't think help them.

“They're like your children. Sometimes when you do things that are going to help them, they just don't seem to think that's helping them, but you're there to help them get better. That's your job.”

5K Run Saturday: The Spurs have joined forces with Child Advocates San Antonio (CASA) to host the fifth annual Speak Out for Kids 5K Run/Walk, scheduled for Saturday at AT&T Center.

Former Spurs star Sean Elliott will be one of the celebrity hosts for the event, which raises funds and awareness to benefit abused and neglected children in the San Antonio community.

The 5K run/walk is to begin at 7 a.m., followed by a one-mile run/walk, to begin at 8:30 a.m.

Pre-registration is $30. Race-day registration is $35.

For more information, visit Spurs.com, or call 210-444-5652.

timvp
03-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Best case scenario is that the Spurs can wrap up the two seed and then allow Duncan to get a good week or so before the playoffs to rest. But realistically, it appears that the Spurs will need a semi-miracle to get all members of the Big Three healthy and stay healthy for a two month stretch.

The Spurs only have two sets of back-to-back games remaining this season, March 24-25 (vs. Golden State, at home, and in Atlanta) and April 7-8 (in Oklahoma City and at home, vs. Portland).Hmmmm ... do you play Duncan against the Warriors and Thunder to get those wins? Or do you play him against the Hawks and Blazers? Common sense says to sit him against the Warriors and Thunder but in that scenario the Spurs would risk losing all four games . . ..

crc21209
03-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Best case scenario is that the Spurs can wrap up the two seed and then allow Duncan to get a good week or so before the playoffs to rest. But realistically, it appears that the Spurs will need a semi-miracle to get all members of the Big Three healthy and stay healthy for a two month stretch.

Hmmmm ... do you play Duncan against the Warriors and Thunder to get those wins? Or do you play him against the Hawks and Blazers? Common sense says to sit him against the Warriors and Thunder but in that scenario the Spurs would risk losing all four games . . ..

Play him against the Hawks and Blazers I think...rest him for Warriors and Thunder.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I think the Spurs can hang on to the #2 seed even without Duncan. All the other West teams seem to be having tough schedules right now and the Spurs do have a 3 game lead in the loss column.

Plus now is the time to really whip the bench into shape, because there are still some holes in the role players, and the offense needs to learn to function even without TD or this team is going to go nowhere.

AussieFanKurt
03-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Lets get timmy healed and sit him out rest of season
Kurt and Fab did a good job today

SenorSpur
03-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Tim and Manu are now officially old.

itzsoweezee
03-18-2009, 12:36 AM
didn't duncan get an extra day off before their last celtics game as well?

crc21209
03-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Kinda smart, seeing as how they dont play till Friday again...so that gave him 3 days off.

duncan228
03-18-2009, 12:39 AM
didn't duncan get an extra day off before their last celtics game as well?

Yes, he didn't play in the Denver game a few days before Boston.

Blackjack
03-18-2009, 01:39 AM
This is just starting to look flat-out grim. :depressed

Every ounce of the Spurs fan in me wants to say, "Yeah, the Spurs can pull this off. When Manu gets back and Drew gets integrated, there's no reason the Spurs shouldn't be able to bring home another title. I mean, give the Spurs a healthy Manu last year and there's a good chance they win one last year. Now they've added Mason, Gooden, Hill, to go along with an ever improving Parker and what could be a fresh and healthy Ginobili, so what's not to like?"

Then reality sinks in.

There's just too many moving parts.

When Manu gets healthy. If Tim can manage the knee. When Gooden gets integrated. If Mason can run the point. Can Hill be a viable option come playoff time. Is Bowen, in Pop's eyes, done. Is Tony capable of assuming the role Tim's held for years and Manu's carried at times during the playoffs, as the unquestioned numero uno, for a sustained period of time? Oh, and can the players nursing or coming back from injuries find a rhythm in time individually, to mesh with players they're unaccustomed to playing with, in what would likely be less than a month?

The weapons are there for this team to get the job done, but the ammo is running low.

Fortune, luck, and health are going to have to smile down on the Spurs, and they might just have to turn their ammo-less weapons into blunt, lethal-objects, to bring home another title.

Josepatches_
03-18-2009, 04:14 AM
I think the Spurs can hang on to the #2 seed even without Duncan. All the other West teams seem to be having tough schedules right now and the Spurs do have a 3 game lead in the loss column.

Plus now is the time to really whip the bench into shape, because there are still some holes in the role players, and the offense needs to learn to function even without TD or this team is going to go nowhere.

Without TD this team is going to nowhere.
The bench is very important but TD is the key of the team.

No TD=No ring.
Same than Lakers without Kobe or The Cavs without Lebron.