PDA

View Full Version : The Richer get food stamps

JudynTX
03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
:wakeup

LEBANON - Warren County commissioners are upset after learning about a loophole in Ohio's public assistance plan that allows wealthy people to collect food stamps.

The commissioners met Tuesday after learning that a person with a paid-for $311,000 home, a new Mercedes and $80,000 in the bank is being given $500 a month in food stamps and $300 in cash assistance.

"This is absolutely ridiculous and the buck stops here," Commissioner Michael Kilburn said.

The problem is that the county, like all Ohio counties, has no choice.

News 5's Karin Johnson said that since October, new rules mean that counties have not been taking into consideration how much someone is actually worth when determining whether a person gets food stamps.

Therefore, in theory, a person with $1 million in the bank, but no income, can get food stamps.

"I'm beside myself, I'm so upset over it. It's ridiculous. It's not what America stands for," Commissioner Dave Young said.

County human services employees said they know of at least one other person with $71,000 in savings that is getting food stamps, and suspect there are many others across the state.

"It's appalling ... a very big, bad loophole," Commissioner Pat South said.

The value of a person's home has never been part of the accounting that goes into determining food stamp eligibility, which lasts for six months at a time.

Johnson will have more on this story on Tuesday evening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29738239/

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/03/18/rich.getting.food.stamps.wlwt

BacktoBasics
03-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I have no problem with this. These guys have sacrificed their hard earned money to be wasted by the most worthless portions of society. They're only getting back what was rightfully theirs in the first place.

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2009, 10:00 AM
1m in the bank deposit should be getting about 4-5% interest a year which equates too $40k-50k a year.....that to me is income

either the council has douches in their dept or im wrong...

this shit should be means tested.

ashbeeigh
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't think there's a way for the Welfare office to audit you. Seriously, people are just sol. But it's a broken system. If you have ___ kids and show an income less than or equal to what it takes to get food stamps or assistance then take it.

peewee's lovechild
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I want foodstamps.

I've never had a hand out and I think it's high time I get mine.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Does Starbucks even take food stamps?

peewee's lovechild
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Anyone care to donate some diapers my way?

And, don't get me any of that Sam's Club Member's Mark diapers. I don't want to give my baby a rash.

JudynTX
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I want foodstamps.

I've never had a hand out and I think it's high time I get mine.

If you get foodstamps, buy me some steaks. :lol

peewee's lovechild
03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
If you get foodstamps, buy me some steaks. :lol

Fuck it. If I get food stamps, I'll go back to drinking.

JudynTX
03-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Fuck it. If I get food stamps, I'll go back to drinking.

:nope

Sometimes when I'm behind someone using the "card", I just shake my head........basket full of candy, cookies, chips, junk, etc.....:bang

peewee's lovechild
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Sometimes when I'm behind someone using the "card", I just shake my head........basket full of candy, cookies, chips, junk, etc.....:bang

I used to work at a convenience store before Texas started using the food stamp debit cards. You know, back when food stamps were . . . well, food stamps.

Anyway, the owner of the store used to let them use food stamps to buy beer and what not.

It was pathetic.

JudynTX
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I used to work at a convenience store before Texas started using the food stamp debit cards. You know, back when food stamps were . . . well, food stamps.

Anyway, the owner of the store used to let them use food stamps to buy beer and what not.

It was pathetic.

Not only that, but some people sold them for cash. :bang

peewee's lovechild
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Not only that, but some people sold them for cash. :bang

Yea, I remember that.

There's an older lady in Brownsville who sells baby formula, diapers, and baby food that she gets because her kids use her address to claim stuff and what not.

Anyway, she sells the stuff that government agencies give her.

Well, she makes a living.

LockBeard
03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
I guess the government should be the only ones allowed to bend everyone else over.

BacktoBasics
03-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I bought margarita mix with food stamps this weekend. The key is to buy the mix that doesn't mention alcohol. IE the Mr. T's mix.

Richard Cranium
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Everyone takes advantage from the system from top to bottom.

I. Hustle
03-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Shoot! Give me the card. I'd be getting steak and skrimps

sa_butta
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I saw that this morning, this reminds me of the time they showed ODB (RIP) getting foodstamps. It really is their own fault for not ironing out the wrinkles in the system.