PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Roundtable: Finding A Lakers Foil

duncan228
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Roundtable: Finding a Lakers foil (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/03/18/writers.roundtable/index.html)

SI.com NBA writers analyze the latest news and address hot topics from around the league each week. (All records are through Tuesday.)

1. The Lakers lead the West by eight games, and they are 16-5 against the other seven teams in playoff position in the conference. How many of those teams would have a legitimate shot to beat the Lakers in a seven-game series?

Ian Thomsen: I suppose Utah, Houston, Denver and New Orleans could threaten L.A., but only the Spurs (my preseason pick to win the title) could knock off a healthy Lakers team. If Andrew Bynum comes back healthy and is reintegrated defensively, then the Lakers will be harder than ever to beat. They may not realize that dividend, but the Lakers are already the West's dominant team and they have a chance to upgrade at center for the playoffs.

Jack McCallum: I'm not proclaiming the Lakers an all-time super team that will absolutely roll through the competition without so much as a sideward glance. But the key word here is "legitimate." So, barring an injury to Mr. Bryant, I'm going to say "zero." The Spurs are no better than last year and couldn't get by L.A. then. The Lakers will frustrate Ron Artest, and there goes Houston. Carmelo Anthony getting the best of Kobe in a one-on-one duel? Puh-leeze, so down go the Nuggets. Portland is too young. New Orleans' mojo was better last year. While I might give a healthy Utah a shot, the Jazz have gone back into a mini-slump. And as far as the Mavericks (the presumed eighth seed) pulling an upset, get back to me if a 16 beats a 1 in the tournament.

Chris Mannix: San Antonio's injury problems concern me, particularly Manu Ginobili's ankle. It's difficult to see how the Spurs' go-to player in the fourth quarter is going to be able to stay healthy throughout what could be a grueling postseason. After watching the Lakers trounce the Spurs with a hobbled Ginobili last season, I have no confidence that San Antonio can be any more successful this year. The only real threat I see for the Lakers is New Orleans. Yes, L.A. went 3-1 against the Hornets this season, but one victory came in overtime and another was decided late in the fourth quarter. The Hornets have been rejuvenated since the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded, and in talking to a few of their players last week, I got the feeling that they have a sense of urgency knowing this team could be broken apart after the season.

Steve Aschburner: It all depends on your definition of "legitimate shot.'' I think four of those seven teams -- San Antonio, Denver, New Orleans and Utah -- have the personnel and experience to cause the Lakers problems, if the right guy gets hot, the wrong guy gets cold or some key guy gets hurt. The postseason is to the Spurs what sunset is to the Prince of Darkness -- time to get the blood pumping. Denver has the firepower to push L.A., Utah and New Orleans have point guards who dictate tempo and apply offensive pressure. I don't see Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Jerry Sloan or Byron Scott flinching, either. Houston, Portland and Dallas? Short on savvy, flawed in personnel or both.

Trimble87
03-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I dont understand this overwhelming public/media oppinion that the Spurs are "no better then they were last year." Has the entire world put blinders on to the advancement of Bonner and the pick ups of George Hill, Roger Mason Junior and Drew Gooden? We have much more depth then last year and more importantly our role players can SCORE. We are no longer dependant on big games form Tim/Manu/Tony.

I agree that the Lakers are the favourites, and even with my extreme home court bias I would only give a HEALTHY spurs team maybe a 30-40% chance to beat LA in a 7 game series, but come on... we are greatly improved since last season.

Agloco
03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Roundtable: Finding a Lakers foil (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/03/18/writers.roundtable/index.html)

Steve Aschburner: It all depends on your definition of "legitimate shot.'' I think four of those seven teams -- San Antonio, Denver, New Orleans and Utah -- have the personnel and experience to cause the Lakers problems, if the right guy gets hot, the wrong guy gets cold or some key guy gets hurt. The postseason is to the Spurs what sunset is to the Prince of Darkness -- time to get the blood pumping. Denver has the firepower to push L.A., Utah and New Orleans have point guards who dictate tempo and apply offensive pressure. I don't see Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Jerry Sloan or Byron Scott flinching, either. Houston, Portland and Dallas? Short on savvy, flawed in personnel or both.

:wow:wow:wow

Agloco
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I dont understand this overwhelming public/media oppinion that the Spurs are "no better then they were last year." Has the entire world put blinders on to the advancement of Bonner and the pick ups of George Hill, Roger Mason Junior and Drew Gooden? We have much more depth then last year and more importantly our role players can SCORE. We are no longer dependant on big games form Tim/Manu/Tony.

I agree that the Lakers are the favourites, and even with my extreme home court bias I would only give a HEALTHY spurs team maybe a 30-40% chance to beat LA in a 7 game series, but come on... we are greatly improved since last season.

I've gotta agree. I think when most folks say this, they are speaking of Manu's health in the singular. The other aquisitions/improvements are being grossly overlooked.

I like our chances with a healthy Manu and polished Gooden in the lineup. Unfortunately, both are question marks at this point.

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 01:58 PM

SI.com NBA writers analyze the latest news and address hot topics from around the league each week. (All records are through Tuesday.)

1. The Lakers lead the West by eight games, and they are 16-5 against the other seven teams in playoff position in the conference. How many of those teams would have a legitimate shot to beat the Lakers in a seven-game series?

Ian Thomsen: I suppose Utah, Houston, Denver and New Orleans could threaten L.A., but only the Spurs (my preseason pick to win the title) could knock off a healthy Lakers team. If Andrew Bynum comes back healthy and is reintegrated defensively, then the Lakers will be harder than ever to beat. They may not realize that dividend, but the Lakers are already the West's dominant team and they have a chance to upgrade at center for the playoffs.

Jack McCallum: I'm not proclaiming the Lakers an all-time super team that will absolutely roll through the competition without so much as a sideward glance. But the key word here is "legitimate." So, barring an injury to Mr. Bryant, I'm going to say "zero." The Spurs are no better than last year and couldn't get by L.A. then. The Lakers will frustrate Ron Artest, and there goes Houston. Carmelo Anthony getting the best of Kobe in a one-on-one duel? Puh-leeze, so down go the Nuggets. Portland is too young. New Orleans' mojo was better last year. While I might give a healthy Utah a shot, the Jazz have gone back into a mini-slump. And as far as the Mavericks (the presumed eighth seed) pulling an upset, get back to me if a 16 beats a 1 in the tournament.

Chris Mannix: San Antonio's injury problems concern me, particularly Manu Ginobili's ankle. It's difficult to see how the Spurs' go-to player in the fourth quarter is going to be able to stay healthy throughout what could be a grueling postseason. After watching the Lakers trounce the Spurs with a hobbled Ginobili last season, I have no confidence that San Antonio can be any more successful this year. The only real threat I see for the Lakers is New Orleans. Yes, L.A. went 3-1 against the Hornets this season, but one victory came in overtime and another was decided late in the fourth quarter. The Hornets have been rejuvenated since the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded, and in talking to a few of their players last week, I got the feeling that they have a sense of urgency knowing this team could be broken apart after the season.

Jack McCallum...what a douche...no better than last year? RMJ, George Hill, Drew Gooden, most likely a healthy Manu..please

SpursDynasty
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
It's all about shutting down Gasol. Period. Look no further.

tlongII
03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Every single article I've read always says the same thing about the Blazers. They're too young. WTF?! Being young is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. Just because you rarely see young teams winning championships doesn't mean they can't do it. The 77 Blazers were a young team.

Thomas82
03-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Let them keep writing us off. We'll get it right when it counts.

NBAdime
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Steve Aschburner: It all depends on your definition of "legitimate shot.'' I think four of those seven teams -- San Antonio, Denver, New Orleans and Utah -- have the personnel and experience to cause the Lakers problems, if the right guy gets hot, the wrong guy gets cold or some key guy gets hurt. The postseason is to the Spurs what sunset is to the Prince of Darkness -- time to get the blood pumping. Denver has the firepower to push L.A., Utah and New Orleans have point guards who dictate tempo and apply offensive pressure. I don't see Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Jerry Sloan or Byron Scott flinching, either. Houston, Portland and Dallas? Short on savvy, flawed in personnel or both.[/quote]
:lol

scanry
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Every single article I've read always says the same thing about the Blazers. They're too young. WTF?! Being young is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. Just because you rarely see young teams winning championships doesn't mean they can't do it. The 77 Blazers were a young team.

Blazers don't stand a chance against the likes of Lakers & Spurs, you Moron...:lol:lol:lol

We get it that you live in a Blazer fantasy, but be fuckin' real... Teams like Lakers, Spurs & NO will eat you guys alive in the playoffs..:rolleyes

1Parker1
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Spurs are no better than last year...they couldn't get past the Lakers without a healthy Ginobili and this season they have no healthy Ginobli they still won't get past them. I think that's their logic when these writers say the Spurs aren't better than last.

xtremesteven33
03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
2007 nostalgia....

stéphane
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Jack McCallum...what a douche...no better than last year? RMJ, George Hill, Drew Gooden, most likely a healthy Manu..please

I don't agree with him and won't defend him...
but
we were healthier last year during the course of the regular season so in a way we're not better. Injury is not all on bad luck. We're an injury prone team and of course we may be the best team at 100% but honestly we're nowhere close from 100% right now.

I. Hustle
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I think we are all in agreement that this is the best quote. "The postseason is to the Spurs what sunset is to the Prince of Darkness -- time to get the blood pumping."

urunobili
03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
i think we are all in agreement that this is the best quote. "the postseason is to the spurs what sunset is to the prince of darkness -- time to get the blood pumping."

ftw

Technique
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't agree with him and won't defend him...
but
we were healthier last year during the course of the regular season so in a way we're not better. Injury is not all on bad luck. We're an injury prone team and of course we may be the best team at 100% but honestly we're nowhere close from 100% right now.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we're an injury prone team. I mean Ginobili is hurt and that's obvious but that doesn't elaborate to the entire team being injury prone. Kobe had his finger injured pretty badly and Bynum has been injured more than Ginobili - are the Lakers an injury prone team? That's arguable. Point is, don't count Manu out. With him and depending on Duncan's knees we'll be more ready than ever.

stéphane
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying we're an injury prone team. I mean Ginobili is hurt and that's obvious but that doesn't elaborate to the entire team being injury prone. Kobe had his finger injured pretty badly and Bynum has been injured more than Ginobili - are the Lakers an injury prone team? That's arguable. Point is, don't count Manu out. With him and depending on Duncan's knees we'll be more ready than ever.

yep sure but as far as i know manu injury was supposed to last 3weeks and tim soreness not much of a problem. if these two guys are not at 100% come playoff time we're screwed.

And about your kobe's finger example, the fact is that he played hurt and produced, you can't compare a broken finger and repetitive ankle problems.

sonic21
03-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I think we are all in agreement that this is the best quote. "The postseason is to the Spurs what sunset is to the Prince of Darkness -- time to get the blood pumping."

:tu

03-18-2009, 05:30 PM
It's difficult to see how the Spurs' go-to player in the fourth quarter is going to be able to stay healthy throughout what could be a grueling postseason.

parker has injury issues? :stirpot:

Spursmania
03-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Not many young teams are experienced enough to handle the pressure, and execute round after round, thus they don't win Championships. They are not saying it's bad, it just doesn't win Championships. You need veteran leadership to get you through. Their time should come in the future given the amount of Talent the Blazers have on their team.:toast

Taking it to the Hole
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I bet the Lakers don't get through the competition as easy this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of their series go six games or seven. I just don't see any of the teams they might face backing down so easily.

The Gemini Method
03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
As a fan of the Lakers, I think out of respect and the fact that it is an odd numbered year--I would say your Spurs are probably the only team that has the best chance of beating the Lakers in the playoffs. I mean, sure the other teams have the personnel to cause trouble, but when it comes down to it...only the Spurs has the playoff-tested demeanor to put up a fight.

However, I don't think any team is going to lay down and let L.A. repeat, so it may be a battle til the end. I'm just hoping for an exciting playoffs and if the Lakers and Spurs meet up once again--the spoils go to the victors.

I know I'm new here--but I've been reading the board and find it for the most part, informative and that's why I've decided to sign-up.

wildbill2u
03-18-2009, 05:59 PM

Actually the best wording would have been to end the phrase with:

...time to get pumping the opposition's blood.

HarlemHeat37
03-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Lakers are the clear favorites..this is a very weak year though in the NBA, particularly the West..

even Laker fans criticize their team every week, and they have major flaws..but they're still the favorite..

looking at the rest of the West..the Spurs have major injury concerns and are getting old, NO isn't deep enough, Houston is missing McGrady and has no 4th quarter players, Utah is soft up front and can't play on the road, Portland is young and can't play on the road, Dallas sucks, and Denver is still a low-IQ team with poor coaching..

in the East, Cleveland isn't as good as their record..Boston has major bench issues and are also getting old..Orlando could have made a difference, but the injury to Nelson hurts a lot..

not a great year for NBA teams IMO, pretty weak..

SenorSpur
03-18-2009, 06:09 PM

The operative word is "HEALTHY". Unless the Spurs are completely healthy, particularly Manu, none of the rest matters.

WildcardManu
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah, you guys might put up a fight but don't worry the future is almost here.

SenorSpur
03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
As a fan of the Lakers, I think out of respect and the fact that it is an odd numbered year--I would say your Spurs are probably the only team that has the best chance of beating the Lakers in the playoffs. I mean, sure the other teams have the personnel to cause trouble, but when it comes down to it...only the Spurs has the playoff-tested demeanor to put up a fight.

However, I don't think any team is going to lay down and let L.A. repeat, so it may be a battle til the end. I'm just hoping for an exciting playoffs and if the Lakers and Spurs meet up once again--the spoils go to the victors.

I know I'm new here--but I've been reading the board and find it for the most part, informative and that's why I've decided to sign-up.

Welcome. Appreciate the insights from a level-headed fan of the opponent.

Capt Bringdown
03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Chris Mannix:It's difficult to see how the Spurs' go-to player in the fourth quarter is going to be able to stay healthy throughout what could be a grueling postseason.

Exactly. Manu hasn't been able to get healthy for what, almost a year now?
It would be nice if this trend would magically change in the playoffs, but it seems unlikely.

poop
03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
It's all about shutting down Gasol. Period. Look no further.

i actually agree with this. he has been extremely effective for them this year, every bit as effective as duncan imo.
kobe cant be stopped but if we at least shut down gasol we have a chance

Manu-of-steel
03-18-2009, 07:15 PM

welcome aboard laker fan. enjoy your reading here. i hope it would be a spurs-lakers showdown in the west.

Horse
03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Amen what a fucking moron, They overlook the fact that with a healthy Ginobili we probly win atleast go seven. Fuck these faggots.
:flag:

Manufan909
03-19-2009, 12:27 AM

Welcome to ST!!!!

And I ninth the opinion that the prince of darkness quote is awesome.:toast

Don Quixote
03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
No, I'd say that the columnists are pretty much right on with their opinion. The only team with a chance against L.A. will be the Spurs. Which is to say, not much.

The Spurs need to play their absolute best, and be 100% healthy, to even get the series to 6 games against the Lakers. The Lakers, while they've been banged up, are so good and so deep that it matters not at all. They have faceplanted the Spurs with Bynum and without Bynum. They are bigger, stronger, and better at every position than the Spurs, play better defense, and have Kobe. They will cruise to the Finals. Lakers in 5, if that.

200 miles
03-19-2009, 01:12 AM

So now they are comparing our team to the ultimate evil. Yet you all are awed by it. How silly.

:rollin

Cry Havoc
03-19-2009, 03:28 AM
I think if Manu's healthy, we pull down trophy #5.

If he isn't, we watch the Lakers play the Celtics/LeBrons for the trophy.

aka_USAPA
03-19-2009, 03:52 AM

Got to love those Lakers fans. In short, the Spurs have the best chance of beating the Lakers due to the following:

Out of respect
It's an odd year

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

WFT buddy? What are you? Looking for a friend and acceptance in this board? :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry boys and girls but we aren't going to beat a healthy lakers team this year.

Yes I love the Spurs and no I am not a fair weather fan. Why am I so certain? When we were rolling the last few years we were the better team than anyone we played no matter who. You knew we were going to wear a team down no matter what they did. We would lose 1 maybe 2 games a series but it didn't matter who we played. Well that team is the lakers this year...

Rummpd
03-19-2009, 09:52 AM
McCallum is a Laker lover and Bryant jock sniffer for years, no surprise there.

Rummpd
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry boys and girls but we aren't going to beat a healthy lakers team this year.

Yes I love the Spurs and no I am not a fair weather fan. Why am I so certain? When we were rolling the last few years we were the better team than anyone we played no matter who. You knew we were going to wear a team down no matter what they did. We would lose 1 maybe 2 games a series but it didn't matter who we played. Well that team is the lakers this year...

Mark it down if healthy the Spurs beat the Lakers and with surprising ease - the additons of Mason, Gooden, Hill + an improved Parker are enough to swing the series and all the Spurs have to do is steal one on the road and the drama and self doubt of a team that blew a game seven by 30 + begins anew. If healty, Spurs in 6.