PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Plans for 2010?

iilluzioN
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is our current plan for 2010?

BUMP
03-18-2009, 02:27 PM
finding a replacement for Duncan, and enjoying the start of 30 years of mediocrity

ManuTP9
03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
getting Lebron James

Duncan74
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Get rid of Vaughn and Udokah

JP le Requin
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
getting CHRIS BOSH and to have a new version of TWIN TOWER and to dominate NBA like we did with DROB and TDUNCAN but this time will be with
TP/G HILL
MASON/gino in sub before he retires, Malik hairston
SF??? James Gist? shawn marion?
CB4 Drew gooden
TD Ian mainmi Tiago splitter

Trimble87
03-18-2009, 02:42 PM
getting CHRIS BOSH

I agree completely. The chances of San Antonio drawing any big name stars through free agency is unlikely, but I really like the idea of going after Bosh.

coopdogg3
03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Resign Gooden in 2009. Resign Ginobli in 2010.

The End

xtremesteven33
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Resign Gooden in 2009. Resign Ginobli in 2010.

The End

1. Amare
2. Joe Johnson
3. Ginobili/Gooden

well probably end up with option 3 :depressed

Agloco
03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
finding a replacement for Duncan, and enjoying the start of 30 years of mediocrity

Speaking of mediocrity, how's the past 29 years been for your Mavs?

Agloco
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
1. Amare
2. Joe Johnson
3. Ginobili/Gooden

well probably end up with option 3 :depressed

Amare? Joe Johnson?
:lol:lol:lol

xtremesteven33
03-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Amare? Joe Johnson?
:lol:lol:lol

Yea i think both of those players would be ideal in the Spurs system.

Parker/Duncan/Amare/Manu would be a fantastic lineup

Parker/Johnson/Ginobili/Duncan would also be a great rotation

Morg1411
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I've contemplated Bosh before. I also like Al Jefferson to compliment Timmy, though I don't really see that happening.

We need to do something about the SF position. Andres Nocioni? You can never have too many Aregentians on one team...

sa_butta
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
First thing I think of when I see this thread is that you are trying to get me to purchase season tickets.

Agloco
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Ummm...ok. :rolleyes

xtremesteven33
03-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Ummm...ok. :rolleyes

????

im puzzled....any other realistic FA's in 2010 that you have in mind??

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
It'd be impossible for the Spurs to afford to give a max type of contract in 2010 given the expected shrinking of the salary cap.

dirk4mvp
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Who injected in your brain the stupid idea of Bosh going to SA?

sananspursfan21
03-18-2009, 03:17 PM

i don't think that amare would go to san antonio for the simple fact that he hates SA. there's not too many suns players that would join the spurs at this point i don't think. joe johnson's alright, but somebody i think would fit well.... Ryan Gomes. He's a younger shawn marion basically. i don't know what his contract looks like, he may not be a free agent for some time, but he is somebody i'd want to see in black and silver

Shawn marion would be nice too. i think most importantly, timmy said he'll only play a couple more years, so i think they need to get somebody started as his successor, and hopefully he'll be primed when tim retires

DPG21920
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Guys, not to rain on yall's parade, but the Spurs will not have money to sign any of those players. Even if they do not re-sign Manu (which is part of the plan as we all know) they will not have enough money to sign a max contract player like Bosh, Amare, JJ....Think Drew Gooden; that range.

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 03:24 PM
i don't think that amare would go to san antonio for the simple fact that he hates SA. there's not too many suns players that would join the spurs at this point i don't think. joe johnson's alright, but somebody i think would fit well.... Ryan Gomes. He's a younger shawn marion basically. i don't know what his contract looks like, he may not be a free agent for some time, but he is somebody i'd want to see in black and silver

Shawn marion would be nice too. i think most importantly, timmy said he'll only play a couple more years, so i think they need to get somebody started as his successor, and hopefully he'll be primed when tim retires
Disagree..Amare has already talked about his respect for SA and Duncan, and I truly believe Shaq would come to SA.

xtremesteven33
03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Disagree..Amare has already talked about his respect for SA and Duncan, and I truly believe Shaq would come to SA.

Shaqs goal isnt to win championships anymore. His goal is to get as many points possible and crack top 5 all time.

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Shaqs goal isnt to win championships anymore. His goal is to get as many points possible and crack top 5 all time.
Probably right.

sananspursfan21
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM

shaq: no way

amare: okay, you're probly right

Summers
03-18-2009, 04:06 PM

I don't think the FO would touch either of those guys with a ten-foot pole.

SenorSpur
03-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Bring in at least 1 new swingman per year over the next 2 years.

galvatron3000
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is our current plan for 2010?

Honestly, the economy is going to affect the league bad in 2010 perhaps not the Lakers, Knicks or Bulls but for those like the Spurs it may not a BIG FREE AGENT NAME year but we may bring in some inexpensive talent. Lots of teams are trying to dump salary and that trend will likely continue over the summer and most of the next season. The Spurs will again look overseas for talent and for those players that will acclimate to what they do and leave egos for the total team. I think this summer will be bigger for them than 2010 but we'll see how other teams handle the contracts and this coming summer

Bruno
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Spurs will be so under the cap that they will be able to sign a max player even with the bad economy.
The 2010 plan is a quite solid option for Spurs and a great insurance if Manu struggles with his health/level of play.

Taking it to the Hole
03-18-2009, 07:36 PM
If were lucky we will find a steal in the draft like we did with TP and Manu, but if we want to get a franchise player again, I see us having to have one very bad season where we end up with a high lottery pick like we did with DROB and Timmy. OK, maybe I am dreaming, but it is a nice dream.:lol

Spursfan092120
03-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Spurs will be so under the cap that they will be able to sign a max player even with the bad economy.
The 2010 plan is a quite solid option for Spurs and a great insurance if Manu struggles with his health/level of play.
Exactly..we have a LOT of people signed right now that will be free agents for 2010...a LOT of options.

Ocotillo
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Pop needs cap room to re-sign Finley.

Viva la experience!!

DPG21920
03-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Spurs have 35 million committed between only two players on the roster. If they give a max contract, they will have close to 55 million for only 3 players. If the cap is even the same as it is today, there is no way they can fill out the roster and avoid luxury tax.

Chieflion
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Spurs have 35 million committed between only two players on the roster. If they give a max contract, they will have close to 55 million for only 3 players. If the cap is even the same as it is today, there is no way they can fill out the roster and avoid luxury tax.

What you saying? The CBA most likely changes in 2010, anything is possible.

exstatic
03-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Uh, Class of '03 (LBJ,Melo,Wade,Bosh) won't be eligible for anything near a deal starting at $20M. Probably closer to $14-15M, starting. Six years if they sign with their own team, five with another team.

ss1986v2
03-18-2009, 11:43 PM
What you saying? The CBA most likely changes in 2010, anything is possible.

no, it doesnt. the current cba runs through 2011, with an option to pick it up through 2012. ive seen this said over and over here. lets all try and kill the spreading of false information right here (not ragging on you specifically).

now its time for more 2010 math (seem like we go through this every 2 weeks).

right now, the spurs are only on the hook for about 35.7 mil for 4 players in 2010 (parker and duncan, plus hill and ian, assuming both their contracts are picked up). the current cap is about 58.7 mil. that figure looks to decrease over the next two years thanks to the recent economic downswing. so a drop of 2-3 mil each year would be in the ball park. so lets go with a figure of 55 mil as a conservative number.

that leaves a difference of 19.3 mil. but thats not what we have to spend. once you factor in our 2010 pick (going to assume we keep it here), thats about 1 mil added to the salary number. then you have to factor in the minimum caps hold for the empty roster spots. that totals about 3.5 mil. and lets not forget about splitter (doesnt count toward our salary, but he is still a cap hold, so there goes another mil). so that now leaves about 14 mil. a max contract would run 13.75 or 16.5 mil (depending on the length of time played in the league). but for all the players who are the home-run hits in 2010, its going to be the 16.5 mil figure.

so, right now, its going to take a bit of work just to get enough to offer a max contract in 2010 (thanks to the shrinking cap). but we could still get there (moving/not renewing ian/hill, trading our 2010 1st). but that assumes we have dumped manu for nothing. along with the rest of the team (mason, bonner, all the vets, possible hairston). for the sake of easy math (and to continue this fantasy), lets just pretend that moving the 2010 pick is enough to get us to a max offer (its not, but again, lets pretend). so that would leave us with:

pg: parker, hill
sg:
sf:
pf: duncan,
c: mahinmi,

plus one max player. that leaves 8 more spots to be filled. lets be really, really optimistic and assume splitter makes the leap. and lets assume gist gets his butt over here too (could already be here, eating up more space). and for the sake of fit, lets pretend we sign joe johnson. that leaves:

pg: parker, hill
sg: johnson,
sf: gist,
pf: duncan,
c: splitter, mahinmi,

now that leaves 6 spots to be filled with the BAE (assuming we dont spend it this summer) and min contracts. so lets figure we net a solid vet with the BAE (a finley-type), one decent vet at the min, and some combination of rooks and scrubs to fill things out. now we sit at:

pg: parker, hill, scrub
sg: johnson, vet, rookie
sf: BAE, gist,
pf: duncan, rookie, scrub
c: splitter, mahinmi,

so how far do we see that team going? because thats the best case scenario for 2010 at this point (ie, never going to happen). the real thing isnt going to be nearly as good as that.

im not even going to get into the issue of keeping manu or mason, because when you figure those things into the equation, the ability to give a max offer become so far from nil, we need to stop talking at that point.

Chieflion
03-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Nicely done signing Johnson for the max. Although it is just fantasy, that is overpaying.

When you realise Mason will be 30 in 2010, I would not want to sign him.
That leaves Ginobili for the MLE, if he does not retire.

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:02 AM
I didn't know our player representatives in the NBPA were Matt Bonner and Ime Udoka.

ss1986v2
03-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Nicely done signing Johnson for the max. Although it is just fantasy, that is overpaying.

When you realise Mason will be 30 in 2010, I would not want to sign him.
That leaves Ginobili for the MLE, if he does not retire.

true, but does the team look all that much better with bosh?

sg: BAE, rookie, scrub
sf: vet, gist
pf: duncan, mahinmi, rookie
c: bosh, splitter

is that team any better (strong front court, but abysmal swing rotation)?

if you ascribe to the 2010 plan, letting mason walk is fine (even if you dont, its not world breaking). but signing manu to a MLE-type deal shoots the max offer in the foot. you cant have both.

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
true, but does the team look all that much better with bosh?

sg: BAE, rookie, scrub
sf: vet, gist
pf: duncan, mahinmi, rookie
c: bosh, splitter

is that team any better (strong front court, but abysmal swing rotation)?

if you ascribe to the 2010 plan, letting mason walk is fine (even if you dont, its not world breaking). but signing manu to a MLE-type deal shoots the max offer in the foot. you cant have both.

I always thought we had Manu's bird rights and Johnson can be signed for 13 million at most.

ss1986v2
03-19-2009, 12:12 AM
I always thought we had Manu's bird rights and Johnson can be signed for 13 million at most.

we do have bird rights on manu, but he still counts against the cap until we sign him (16 mil, give or take).

and i dont know what you mean by "at most" (whether you mean his theoretical max, or what hes actually worth). but hes been in the league for more than 7 years, so hes eligible for up to 30% of the cap. and if anyone expects him to leave atlanta, they are probably going to have to overpay.

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:15 AM
we do have bird rights on manu, but he still counts against the cap until we sign him (16 mil, give or take).

and i dont know what you mean by "at most" (whether you mean his theoretical max, or what hes actually worth). but hes been in the league for more than 7 years, so hes eligible for up to 30% of the cap. and if anyone expects him to leave atlanta, they are probably going to have to overpay.
What he is actually worth would be somewhere around 11 million. So the Spurs would probably chase after D-Wade or Chris Bosh.

ss1986v2
03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
What he is actually worth would be somewhere around 11 million. So the Spurs would probably chase after D-Wade or Chris Bosh.

which is fine and all, but as i said, we probably dont have the money to chase those guys (would have to move both the 2010 1st and mahinmi, sign no one between now and 2010, and lose manu). and thats just for the chance to sign them. we arent the only team in this hunt.

spursfaninla
03-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Amare is a mentally challenged, defensively challenged shawn kemp.

give him afew years, and the will end the same.

no thanks to him.

I don't want to jinx us, but I'm afraid I think manu is damaged goods from here on out, and might either retire early or will actually play backup minutes, so will get a reduced contract...

That would allow a better signing perhaps....

eisfeld
03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
No plan at all. Cap is likely to decrease. They might resign Gooden in 2009 and Manu in 2010 if healthy. Other than that I can only see them bringing over Splitter (if only) and Gist and work them along with Mahinmi and Hairston in the rotation.

coyotes_geek
03-19-2009, 09:38 AM
There is no 2010 plan, a shrinking salary cap mean that few guys will likely leave their current teams. Spurs likely to sign older players short term and look to rebiuld in 2012 when TD calls it quits.

Bingo. Some of those 2010 free agents are better off signing extensions this offseason so that talent pool is going to shrink.

DPG21920
03-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Uh, Class of '03 (LBJ,Melo,Wade,Bosh) won't be eligible for anything near a deal starting at $20M. Probably closer to $14-15M, starting. Six years if they sign with their own team, five with another team.

Even then, that does not leave room for the Spurs to sign a Max player. As someone else has already outlined, you can expect the salary cap to drop, not rise.

Also, if we sign Ginobili, you can go ahead and take away 8-10 Million of the 14-15 million of the cap space, which leaves you with 5-7 million. That is no Bosh, Amare, JJ or anyone of that caliber.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Also, if we sign Ginobili, you can go ahead and take away 8-10 Million of the 14-15 million of the cap space, which leaves you with 5-7 million. That is no Bosh, Amare, JJ or anyone of that caliber.

gino aint worth 8-10m in 2010...i dont give a shit about loyalty contract we should give him, business is business....if he gets a better offer somewhere else to cash in his last big contract then good for him. But seriously 8-10m for ginoboli off the bench? no....his only worth MLE in 2010+

DPG21920
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
gino aint worth 8-10m in 2010...i dont give a shit about loyalty contract we should give him, business is business....if he gets a better offer somewhere else to cash in his last big contract then good for him. But seriously 8-10m for ginoboli off the bench? no....his only worth MLE in 2010+

Says you. Lets say he only gets 5 million. That would only leave 9-11 million and that does not land you a max player either. Not to mention you have to fill out an entire roster while trying to avoid the luxury tax.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Manu will get a 2 year $20 mil extension and he'll be well worth it.

ss1986v2
03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Says you. Lets say he only gets 5 million. That would only leave 9-11 million and that does not land you a max player either. Not to mention you have to fill out an entire roster while trying to avoid the luxury tax.

simply filling out the roster while staying below the tax line wont be hard at all. all we would have to offer are min contracts along with the BAE (a hair over 2 mil).

now filling it out with players that dont suck, thats going to be the really, really hard part.

coyotes_geek
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
The BAE still counts against the cap, so if the Spurs are wanting to max somebody out they have to give up the BAE too. Moot point though since the Spurs won't be in that situation.

2009:
- Gooden
- extension for Manu
- possibly Gist

2010:
- MLE
- hopefully Splitter
- draft pick

BAE used in one of those years.

ss1986v2
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
The BAE still counts against the cap, so if the Spurs are wanting to max somebody out they have to give up the BAE too.

correct as usual. was still using some of my pre-economy flop figures. totally slipped my mind. thanks.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
The BAE still counts against the cap, so if the Spurs are wanting to max somebody out they have to give up the BAE too. Moot point though since the Spurs won't be in that situation.

2009:
- Gooden
- extension for Manu
- possibly Gist

2010:
- MLE
- hopefully Splitter
- draft pick

BAE used in one of those years.

This sounds like a very reasonable plan. Maybe Sheed instead of Gooden if possible. Of course this depends very much on how he'll fit in the team, so we'll see.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
so instead of tryin to bring in a top FA

we throw a chunk of the capspace to ginoboli and try to win a ring again with the 3 cores with rookies and vets on the cheaps? if we aint winnin it this year or next year, why continue if we know this team aint competitive?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 10:22 AM

These kind of comments are an epic kind of ignorant and stupid.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
These kind of comments are an epic kind of ignorant and stupid.

????
WTF

He has said himself that his goal is to break scoring records. Before you insult, know your own team :rolleyes

coyotes_geek
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM

we throw a chunk of the capspace to ginoboli and try to win a ring again with the 3 cores with rookies and vets on the cheaps? if we aint winnin it this year or next year, why continue if we know this team aint competitive?

Because the alternative is to give up on the 09-10 season before it's even started by not doing anything in offseason 2009 just so that you can hope that the Spurs are able to convince a big name to sign here in 2010. And those hopes depend on that big name being willing to take less than the max. Not very good odds of that happening IMO.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-19-2009, 10:42 AM

If we assume that the players we're after are Bosh/JJohnson/Amare types, then we stand no chance to get them unless we offer the max possible, which would probably start at about $15-17M. Even if we dump Hill, Gist, all picks,not use the MLE this sumemr, not re-sign Manu and Mason, we still will not be able to fill up the roster unless we sign total garbage on min contracts. In that case we'd have to rely on an aging Duncan to play 40+ mins for the whole season and playoffs. Such a team would have no chance to win a championship.

We can't afford to have 2 max contracts ( Duncan, FA ) and a 3rd very big one ( Parker ).We've never been able to and we most certainly won't be able to afford it in the stagnating economy and cap by 2010. The reason we have 3 all stars right now is that both Parker and Manu are blatantly underpaid. No way any star is underpaid in 2010 because there are too many teams with lots of money to offer, so it wouldn't be realistic to expect to get someone for less than their market value.

Chomag
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
If the Spurs don't win it all this year I think we will see major core changes that might make the 2010 plan mot. I believe I remember Tony Parker talking about this in an interview earlier this year.

Here is the link I found, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2798685#post2798685

DPG21920
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
If the Spurs don't win it all this year I think we will see major core changes that might make the 2010 plan mot. I believe I remember Tony Parker talking about this in an interview earlyer this year.

Here is the link I found, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2798685#post2798685

Ya, that is the thread I started. I think what we have concluded is that some of the mainstays will be gone, but none of the big 3. No more Bowen, Oberto...

This still does not change the actuality of the situation. Spurs will not be signing a max player. If Gino is healthy, he will get an extension.