PDA

View Full Version : Affliction & UFC 100 on the Same Night??!!

LEONARD
03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
http://mmamania.com/2009/03/18/affliction-entertainment-in-talks-to-air-third-mma-event-opposite-ufc-100-on-july-11/

All I can say is I'll be throwing one hell of a party (was already planning on a UFC 100 party)...dual tuner DVR in effect so that both can be watched while jumping back and forth, skipping all the crap in between. I did it with Affliction 1 and a UFC Fight Night and finished up watching both main events live...worked great.

Not so sure it's a smart move on Affliction's party though... :lol

BlackSwordsMan
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
''Affliction would consider hosting the event on network or basic cable television''
sold

Evan
03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
From Sports.ru

Translation props goes to Sherdog member stripthesoul:

Hello! There are many news. I can already say where I'm getting offers to continue my career - from Holland's Golden Glory, Japan's DREAM, president of the UFC Dana White wants me to fight for them. All the contracts offered are long term, so I have not made up my mind yet, where I will compete. I'm thinking and preparing for the fight against Ibrahim Magomedov on March 29th.

I'm preparing in several Petersburg's gyms at the same time with my permanent trainer Yuri Razumov. And now I can say, that it's more convenient to prepare this way - I have many more sparring partners.

Also, I made, actually still making a new tattoo. I got a little tired of smartasses, who see in me some criminal authority, and want to prove that I can put any drawing that I like on my body. Now, I'm going to have a drawing of the moment from the famous Kulikovskoy battle on my chest "Battle of Aleksander Peresvet with Mongol-Tatar knight Chelubey"

I wanted to get this tattoo for a long time. In my childhood when I saw this picture in one of the books, I got very fond of it. And now that I found a very good master, decided, that it's the most fitting moment.

The tattoo is not ready yet. Almost every day he's working on it. And there will be more work after the fight. But when it's all ready it should look great.

Aleksander, there was some official information on Sherdog, that you weren't allowed to fight in the States because of hepatitis. Did you hear that. How much truth is in it?

It's all nonsense. I did not get in on the first Affliction show, because there were some problems with documents. I flew in, and passed the medical commission. Everything was fine. Then they tell me that I flew in too late and cannot compete. And before the second event, I injured my hand. I sensed that I would not be able to compete at full strength and asked them myself not to schedule the fight. I'm hoping to compete on the third Affliction show this summer in America.

How many seconds would you last against your brother? Do you think about a rematch with Crocop?

I never thought about a fight with my brother, because we will never fight against each other. We offered a rematch to Crocop many times, but he refused; and now Mirko is not the same anymore; his last fights showed that. And my loss to him should not be overestimated. I was only 23 years old then, my fourth fight in MMA, and Filipovic was already a top fighter.

I read your interview in a newspaper where you said that you would beat anybody. Don't you think there's nobody really left to beat at this point?Nogueira, Silva, Couture are old and beaten - Mir, Gonzaga, Herring - not interesting and beaten - and today's champion Lesnar - he's laughable to look at! Whom would you like to fight?

Agreed, there's nobody to beat, so that's why I don't care who I fight with. I want to fight who others consider the best.

I would love to see your fight with Cheick Kongo! Can you tell us if you have a will to rematch Barnett and Crocop?

I already answered about Crocop earlier. We offered Barnett a rematch and he refused. But last summer in America, during the first Affliction show, he came up to me all green and with shaking lips said "Sasha, I agree to fight with you". Therefore, possibly, revenge between us will take place.

desflood
03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
From bloodyelbow:

Affliction 3 Will NOT Go Against UFC 100 by ufc4 on Mar 19, 2009 9:05 PM EDT

According to Steve Cofield the report about Affliction's third show going head-to-head with UFC 100 is a bunch of nonsense, from Yahoo:

There was talk yesterday that struggling fight promotion Affliction, was going to put its third pay-per-view show head-to-head against UFC 100. Affliction COO Michael D. Cohen told Versus.com that no MMA promotion could be dumb enough to battle UFC 100:

"I don’t think we are ever looking to go up against the UFC or anyone for that matter. We are certainly not looking to share the viewers or the audience that is our there. We would like a date to ourselves because, at the end of the day, we want the greatest number of people to be watching."

Finally someone from Affliction makes a statement that actually makes some sense. Going up against one of (if not THE) biggest MMA events of all time just seems stupid, and at least they are smart enough to realize that. If the plan is to make money, or at least lose as little as possible, then it only makes sense to pick a date where the UFC is NOT hosting an event. I want to see Affliction 3 but if I had to pick between it and UFC 100 then there would really be no choice, I wouldn't miss UFC 100 for anything. Smart move T-shirt guys.

LEONARD
03-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Why is MMAWeekly still saying they're on the same night? (as of yesterday)

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8420

And Fedor and Barnett on the car but not fighting each other because the cost will be too high? WTF

desflood
03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
The latest from bloodyelbow says...

Affliction 3: Not Fedor vs Barnett and Free by Nick Thomas on Mar 21, 2009 1:03 PM EDT in News 4 comments

According to the "Carmichael Dave Show" on CBS Radio via Sherdog.com:

I will be reporting on my nightly show tonight and the national show tomorrow evening on CBS that I have spoken with a highly placed source with Affliction who has confirmed the following:

- Affliction is going ahead with plans to have their next show go against UFC 100 in July

- Fedor and Barnett WILL both be on the card, but WILL NOT be fighting each other

- The card will be shown for free in its entirety, network TBA

- No confirmation on whether or not this is the final show for Affliction, but the quote given to me was:

" We arent stupid. We arent bringing a knife to a gun fight. This card will be STACKED from top to bottom."

When I countered that with that statement made, a ton of pressure will be put on Affliction to find a favorable opponent for Fedor (since it will be a natural letdown that it isnt Barnett), the quote was:

"The fans will have ZERO problem with Fedor's opponent"

In other words, the old "one door closes, another opens" philosophy.

LEONARD
03-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Fuck!

polandprzem
03-21-2009, 12:55 PM
fuck!

+1

Evan
03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I wonder who he is going to fight...

desflood
03-21-2009, 03:53 PM
There's speculation it may be Overeem.

Evan
03-21-2009, 04:18 PM
There's speculation it may be Overeem.

Makes sense...thats about the only HW bout that seems interesting with Fedor since Josh won't fight him.

I hope Overeem has a good agent...between the UFC and Affliction he's in a great position to cash in right now.

desflood
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Overeem in the UFC. Ooooohhh....

Eh, that's what I said about Crocop and Herring too. Never mind.

Evan
03-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think he would do much overall as he would likely amass a .500 record but he would put on some good fights at the least. He'd be a good fighter to put on Euro cards.

LEONARD
03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Overeem still has a few fights left on his current contract...

Evan
03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Overeem still has a few fights left on his current contract...

Please refrain from bringing facts into the discussion.

LEONARD
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
My bad...just posting the links that I'm supposed to post...that's all I do in this forum anyway, or so I've heard...

http://dreamfighters.com/?p=1542