PDA

View Full Version : Dodd just admitted on CNN that he inserted a loophole in the stimulus

ducks
03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090318/pl_politico/30833

Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) looks like he may be facing a fresh political firestorm.

Dodd just admitted on CNN that he inserted a loophole in the stimulus legislation that allowed million-dollar bonuses to insurance giant AIG to go forward – after previously denying any involvement in writing the controversial provision. .

“We wrote the language in the bill, the deal with bonuses, golden parachutes, excessive executive compensation that was adopted unanimously by the United States Senate in the stimulus bill,” Dodd told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer this afternoon.

Yonivore
03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Some Obama hack from Chicago must have slapped him around in a dark room for awhile.

clambake
03-18-2009, 06:38 PM
or at a gas station

Crookshanks
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
adopted unanimously by the United States Senate in the stimulus bill

It was only unanimous with the Democrats! So ALL the Dem Senators are on the hook for this one. Of course, if anybody had taken the time to actually read the bill, then maybe they would've caught this - but then again, maybe not! I think they all underestimated the american people and their outrage over this.

clambake
03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
are you outraged over the aig bailout?

ChumpDumper
03-18-2009, 06:49 PM
If as Libby says, the folks responsible for the meltdown are gone, then these guys are being paid to stay on and work themselves out of a job. Apparently some are already offering to give up the bonus altogether.

If that's true, I can't be that outraged.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
If as Libby says, the folks responsible for the meltdown are gone, then these guys are being paid to stay on and work themselves out of a job. Apparently some are already offering to give up the bonus altogether.

If that's true, I can't be that outraged.

Exactly, but this is why all the faux outrage we've seen from everyone in DC is fucking ridiculous.

Yonivore
03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Exactly, but this is why all the faux outrage we've seen from everyone in DC is fucking ridiculous.
It's not only ridiculous it's an effort to deflect blame from where it belongs...with them.

Yonivore
03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Wait a minute! Dodd is dragging Obama under the bus with him... :lmao

After claiming he had no knowledge of how the amendment got into the stimulus bill, Dodd confessed (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/18/aig.bonuses.congress/index.html)today that yeah, it was him but Obama made him do it!

Dodd acknowledged his role in the change after a Treasury Department official told CNN the administration pushed for the language.

Dodd, a Democrat, told CNN's Dana Bash and Wolf Blitzer that Obama administration officials pushed for the language to an amendment designed to limit bonuses and "golden parachutes" at those companies.

"I agreed reluctantly," Dodd said. "I was changing the amendment because others were insistent."
I think Dodd just slammed the ball back into Obama's Court.

You can watch the interview with Dodd at the linked page. The CNN reporter asked him why he has changed his story since yesterday; his response was incoherent. Reading between the lines, though, it appears that he lied yesterday to protect himself as well as the Obama administration, and then told the truth today because someone in the Treasury Department had already explained what happened.

To say that the Democrats are in disarray would be an understatement.

This is getting entertaining.

Wild Cobra
03-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Trace these guys friends, and you'll find them to be the ones getting bonuses and bailouts.

These politicians should be in jail.

LnGrrrR
03-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Trace these guys friends, and you'll find them to be the ones getting bonuses and bailouts.

These politicians should be in jail.

There's two ways to take this:

1) Politicians actually receiving this money, which is somewhat of a silly claim to make at this point in time.

2) These bonuses will lead these companies to give support to these politicians in the form of political favors, which in turns leads the politicians to write things into bills that favor these companies. If you're making that point... well I think everyone knows that's mostly how Washington works. Sadly.

Yonivore
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM

1) Politicians actually receiving this money, which is somewhat of a silly claim to make at this point in time.

2) These bonuses will lead these companies to give support to these politicians in the form of political favors, which in turns leads the politicians to write things into bills that favor these companies. If you're making that point... well I think everyone knows that's mostly how Washington works. Sadly.
I don't see any prominent Republicans being implicated in this debacle. And, the two Republicans recently caught in such dealings are either in prison or on their way; Duke Cunningham and Ted Stevens.

I can name 4 Democrats off the top of my head that probably should be in jail right now (Dodd, Jefferson, Waters, and Frank) but are being protected, if not outright covered for, by their clan in Congress. You can thrown in Obama and Rangel for good measure.

Sorry, this trillions-of-dollars debacle is in a new league, even for politicians.

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090318/pl_politico/30833

Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) looks like he may be facing a fresh political firestorm.

Dodd just admitted on CNN that he inserted a loophole in the stimulus legislation that allowed million-dollar bonuses to insurance giant AIG to go forward – after previously denying any involvement in writing the controversial provision. .

“We wrote the language in the bill, the deal with bonuses, golden parachutes, excessive executive compensation that was adopted unanimously by the United States Senate in the stimulus bill,” Dodd told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer this afternoon.

These were retention bonuses? AIG stated it clearly.

I am just trying to figure out if conservatives want legal contracts honored or not.

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't see any prominent Republicans being implicated in this debacle. And, the two Republicans recently caught in such dealings are either in prison or on their way; Duke Cunningham and Ted Stevens.

I can name 4 Democrats off the top of my head that probably should be in jail right now (Dodd, Jefferson, Waters, and Frank) but are being protected, if not outright covered for, by their clan in Congress. You can thrown in Obama and Rangel for good measure.

Sorry, this trillions-of-dollars debacle is in a new league, even for politicians.

In jail for what?

DarrinS
03-19-2009, 09:17 AM
So the Dems pretty much knew about this all along, and then you get Barney Pound-me-in-the-ass Frank asking Liddy for the names of AIG employees who didn't return bonus money. Liddy said he feared for the safety of those employees.

If this doesn't piss you off, then something is wrong with you. Dems have no right to bitch about this anymore.

DarrinS
03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
[/B]

These were retention bonuses? AIG stated it clearly.

I am just trying to figure out if conservatives want legal contracts honored or not.

It's not about the bonuses!!!!

It's about the fake indignation and grandstanding that the Dems are putting on.

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
It's not about the bonuses!!!!

It's about the fake indignation and grandstanding that the Dems are putting on.

It's clear that Dodd's amendment was not intended to control this type of bonus. regarding the fake indignation and grandstanding, are you referring to the resident conservatives?

Yonivore
03-19-2009, 09:33 AM
In jail for what?
Corruption.

LnGrrrR
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Corruption.

All politicians are somewhat corrupted. It's just a matter of degree, either in monetary terms or through blatant outrageousness.

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
All politicians are somewhat corrupted. It's just a matter of degree, either in monetary terms or through blatant outrageousness.

All you have to know about Yoni is that he thinks Bush belongs on Mt Rushmore.

ElNono
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Corruption.

IOW, because you don't agree with them...

I can hand you a list of all the Republicans that voted for the original TARP program. I gather all those guys are corrupt and go to jail too under your criteria?

Wild Cobra
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Is it a silly claim? president Obama himself is tied to over $100,000 in campaign contributions by these guys! So are other prominent democrats.

LnGrrrR
03-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Is it a silly claim? president Obama himself is tied to over $100,000 in campaign contributions by these guys! So are other prominent democrats.

Yes, that would be my claim 2, which I said wasn't silly, but commonplace. Sadly.

burntorange
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
All you have to know about Yoni is that he thinks Bush belongs on Mt Rushmore.

In Soviet Russia, Mt. Rushmore belongs on Bush.

LockBeard
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Dodd is the fucking man. If anything, this should help him stay up der in Washeengtun.