http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0714386/

rip...
:depressed:depressed:depressed

manufor3
03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
rip

Jekka
03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I've been keeping up with this since all of the shit happened yesterday. It's sad, and kind of crazy to boot. From what I understand, she was skiing and basically just fell over on a beginner's slope. No crashing into trees, etc., and didn't start having headaches until like an hour later. Makes me feel kind of lucky for all the times I wiped out on black slopes without a helmet and came out with just a few bruises.

mardigan
03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
I've been keeping up with this since all of the shit happened yesterday. It's sad, and kind of crazy to boot. From what I understand, she was skiing and basically just fell over on a beginner's slope. No crashing into trees, etc., and didn't start having headaches until like an hour later. Makes me feel kind of lucky for all the times I wiped out on black slopes without a helmet and came out with just a few bruises.

Hearing all of this and hearing that she didn't even have a visible wound to her head makes me think she had an aneurysm or something else. Prayers to the family. R.I.P.

td4mvp21
03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
:depressed This is really sad.

mookie2001
03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
-emotocon

MrChug
03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Jesus I love Liam Neeson...my prayers are with his family may God rest her soul.

David Bowie
03-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Very sad. And she has two children as well.

I don't think that I will ever go downhill skiing again.

dickface
03-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I love Liam Neeson

Well he just became newly single.....go for it dude!

BlackSwordsMan
03-18-2009, 09:52 PM

:lol

desflood
03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Hearing all of this and hearing that she didn't even have a visible wound to her head makes me think she had an aneurysm or something else. Prayers to the family. R.I.P.
I mentioned to my husband that it might have been a mini-stroke or aneurysm that caused the initial fall, since there were no obstacles in her path.

mrsmaalox
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
How sad. Such an elegant lady, elegant couple, and elegant family. This kind of death can be a real surprise but is really not that uncommon. Being up and around lucid, after a head injury, only to succomb a couple of hours later is a classic manisfestation of a subdural hematoma, which is an accumulation of blood between the skull and the brain.
It can occur even when there is no visible injury, because the injury happens inside the skull where the brain is "rattled". It can be a slow leak of blood that takes an hour or so to cause impairment. As the blood accumulates it places a great pressure on the brain with massive swelling. Because the skull cannot expand to accomodate the pressure buildup, the brain is pushed downwards thru the opening at the base of the skull where the brainstem connects to the spinal cord. This herniation is a fatal condition. In the worst situations it can happen in an instant. In the ICU, it happened many times right before our eyes. Very tragic.

Trainwreck2100
03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I feel sorry for that slope, liam neeson has alot of money but he has a set of skills dangerous to people like you mr. slope. He will find you and he will kill you/

The Franchise
03-19-2009, 01:05 AM
That's horrible. I hope Liam will be alright. I can't imagine my wife just being gone from my life like that. :depressed

Technique
03-19-2009, 01:09 AM
I remember watching the news at 7 a.m this morning, at that time it was rumored that she was brain dead. 12 hours later she's gone =\. Really sad, I loved her. I don't think I can watch the Parent Trap the same way again.

JudynTX
03-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Very sad. RIP :(

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
That is sad.

1Parker1
03-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Very sad, I've been following this as well. Hard to believe....and I just watched Liam in the movie Taken, which was very good by the way.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Wow, that's horrible.

lefty
03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I was supposed to go skiing in Mont Tremblant this weekend (I live in Montreal, which is close).

I don't think I will :(

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2009, 08:52 AM
That's why I started working out my brain with drugs and alcohol from an early age...toughened it up so it could handle those double diamond crashes at mach 2.

Blake
03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
that is very sad....

but ski resorts piss me off the way they are so inconsistent in the way they determine the difficulty of certain trails.....

some greens should be blues, some blues should be blacks and I've even skied some blacks that could easily have been greens.

there's one green at Ruidosa (I think) that has something like a 100 foot drop straight off the right side. Why?

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Are there any rules regarding wearing a helmet when skiing at these resorts? And I would think a tragic accident could happen on any level or color of course or trail.

Blake
03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Are there any rules regarding wearing a helmet when skiing at these resorts?

nope, and they probably never will

And I would think a tragic accident could happen on any level or color of course or trail.

tragic accidents should never happen on a green. If it can, then it shouldn't be a green.

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
that is very sad....

but ski resorts piss me off the way they are so inconsistent in the way they determine the difficulty of certain trails.....

some greens should be blues, some blues should be blacks and I've even skied some blacks that could easily have been greens.

there's one green at Ruidosa (I think) that has something like a 100 foot drop straight off the right side. Why?

They are inconsistent because the snow is inconsistent. They generally base green/blue/black/double black on the percent of grade. Because even blacks have to be groomed when they get too icy/skiied off you can occasionally hit a black that doesn't have any moguls, while another blue might be slick and cut up bad with short choppy moguls because it didn't get groomed the night before. Double blacks never get groomed because they are too steep to safely put equipment on. I've skiied some double blacks that were so steep that once you started you had to finish (either on your skis or flipping/rolling) because if you tried to pull up and stop the snow would just fall out from under your skis.

I remember that run you are talking about at Ruidoso. The one and only time I skiied there (it sucked) we would tuck coming off the lift and when we got to that area you were talking about would break hard left and blast off the lip and get 60-70' of air jumping in to the trail below it.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
nope, and they probably never will

Why won't they? Or is it ski at your own risk?

tragic accidents should never happen on a green. If it can, then it shouldn't be a green.

But can't a tragic accident happen just by tripping over your own feet and bumping your head? I'm not trying to be stupid just saying it can happen even on a green trail.

JudynTX
03-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Reports are that the first ambulance on the scene was turned away.

Slomo
03-19-2009, 09:35 AM

Sad indeed, I always thought she was very pretty and a good actress.

I hate helmets while skiing (I'm a really good, competition level, skier) but this year for christmas the whole family got a new helmet for skiing and we are all using them now.
There has been a big increase of serious to fatal brain injuries on European ski slopes and I guess it was time to get over my dislike of helmets.
Not sure if a helmet would have helped her - weird accident.

Are there any rules regarding wearing a helmet when skiing at these resorts? And I would think a tragic accident could happen on any level or color of course or trail.

I can tell you how it is over here. Helmets are mandatory for children 12 years old and younger, and "only" strongly recommended for everybody else. There's a view gaining in popularity that helmets should be obligatory for everybody on the slopes.
Most fatal and serious accident (serious as in causing permanent brain damage) occur as a result of collisions, mostly between two or more skier. Your level of experience and the sticking to the correct colored slope for your level don't reall protect you against those.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks Slomo. I make my kids wear helmets when bike riding and I wear one too.

Blake
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
They are inconsistent because the snow is inconsistent. They generally base green/blue/black/double black on the percent of grade. Because even blacks have to be groomed when they get too icy/skiied off you can occasionally hit a black that doesn't have any moguls, while another blue might be slick and cut up bad with short choppy moguls because it didn't get groomed the night before. Double blacks never get groomed because they are too steep to safely put equipment on. I've skiied some double blacks that were so steep that once you started you had to finish (either on your skis or flipping/rolling) because if you tried to pull up and stop the snow would just fall out from under your skis.

They need a system like at the beach where they rank the danger/difficulty on a daily basis. I don't think it would be terribly hard.

Instead they give you the same trail map they use all year long (probably longer)

I remember that run you are talking about at Ruidoso. The one and only time I skiied there (it sucked) we would tuck coming off the lift and when we got to that area you were talking about would break hard left and blast off the lip and get 60-70' of air jumping in to the trail below it.

Ruidoso sucks ass. We only went because it's a 3 hour drive from Lubbock.

I like the Colorado slopes, but my favorite was skiing in Killington, VT.

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
My favorite area is Crested Butte. The have some amazing expert stuff and some long screaming blues for high speed mogul cruising. I was skiing the double diamond stuff there (headwall, etc.) before they even put in a lift to service the very top of the mountain. We would take highline and hike from there.

peewee's lovechild
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I feel bad for Liam Neeson.

MrChug
03-20-2009, 03:28 AM

No wonder you called this fake screenname dickface you fuckin pussy...good job mouse. I hope your closest kin dies a horrible death. Seriously.

Bean Dip
03-20-2009, 07:24 AM
No wonder you called this fake screenname dickface you fuckin pussy...good job mouse. I hope your closest kin dies a horrible death. Seriously.

Are you midgetonadonkey?

Xylus
03-22-2009, 03:06 AM
I was just watching some interviews of Natasha Richardson on PBS, and damn... she had one of the most beautiful and seductive smiles I've ever seen.